InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Mysterious Little Visitor ❯ Scroll Nine: Red, Black, and Violet ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~*~*~*~*

Disclaimer: Another scroll, and yet, another sad attempt at an anecdotal disclaimer. Eh, well, here it goes: no, Inu-Yasha does not/has not/will not belong to me. I am a fan fiction writer. I am not being paid, so, therefore, do not sue me. I have no summer job and no money. I am a bum. If you pity me, press 8 now-ah, oops, hehe…. Um, anyway, Little Inu and the other characters that do not appear in the manga/anime are my property and cannot be used without my permission.

A/N: Hey, I made a mistake with the last author's note-Inu-Yasha and Little Inu's outfits are haori (cloak) and hakama (pants) but they are the festive robes of a shrine priest, kariginu. (Nonetheless, I can still call the haori a cloak, as that is what the art guide defines it as.) Sorry about the mistake on the terminology. (BTW, look at the end of the bottom A/N to know where to check out my picture of Little Inu.)

Scroll Nine: Red, Black, and Violet

"...she may lose her life." That phrase haunted Inu-Yasha as he watched the kid jump off the high tree limb and land at Kagome's side, gathering Kirara in his arms. She may lose her life? What, how, and why, who, when-too many questions flooded in at once, making his brain feel waterlogged. He stared up at the zenith; something was off about it….

The mountain was not all that far off, now that he looked closely. Smoky crimson hovered in staggered, fragmented rings round the crag. The peak was snowcapped, and it made Inu-Yasha wonder how far the Hakushinmu herbs were in, and where on, Mount Fire Soul. Contemplations continued to whirl around in his mind, even as he finally realized that the pair below his perch was talking about him.

"…so, Inu-Yasha's still in the tree?" the girl said, peering up through the leafy canopy.

"Yeah," the boy responded. "You probably ought to get him down."

"Yeah, I guess. Hey, Inu-Yasha-"

He leapt down before she could finish, appearing utterly perplexed when Kagome managed to sneak a peek at his face. His eyes were focused intently into a crevice of something within his own little world, seeing through his mind's eye. Inu-Yasha's jaw was set as he pursed his lips slightly as he continued to mentally chew on the information he'd just been fed, his left fang gnawing on his lip a tad. He had that striking profile for a moment, gazing over the vegetation-dotted horizon. Heaving a small sigh, he turned to Little Inu and Kagome. "Come on, let's get going."

"Ok."

The three-four if counting Kirara-trudged to the encampment. The sunlight was filtering in dusty rays still. Strangely enough, it appeared a little darker. How long had they been away?

A few forest animals went scurrying past them, and a few times Kirara jumped out of the boy's arms and gave chase. The ground was fairly mossy and cool, and the leaves and twigs had a leathery feel. Moist earth gave way beneath their feet, and Inu-Yasha was vaguely reminded of the forest bearing his name over by Lady Kaede's village, where he had been pinned by an enchantment for fifty years. Ivy wound around tree trunks, like natural bindings, making the aforementioned hanyou even more nostalgic.

The sky above continued to grow dimmer. It was an overcast grey, with a peculiar brightness sifted throughout the throng of misty clouds. Treetops were becoming deeper emerald as they swayed in a passing breeze, very cool and unobtrusive.

The dog-child ran ahead with the cat-demon, his laughter ringing in the duo's ears. He disappeared through a thicket of bushes, saying he could smell Sango, Miroku, and Shippo not far away.

Kagome was glancing around the forest with the touch of a smile on her cherry lips. Ever so often, she'd stoop down to pick some herbs that were growing in neat, little clusters. Her fingers were quite nimble as they plucked blossoms and leaves, carefully placing them in the red handkerchief from her school uniform, using it as a satchel.

That was what Inu-Yasha was observing. Still pensive, he gazed at her, wondering why anyone would ever want to hurt Kagome. She didn't fit the profile of someone you'd want dead; sure, he was a prime candidate, but her? Well, he wasn't going to let anyone take her life. No way. This girl was important to him…apparently more than he allowed himself to even admit….

The fact about dog-demons...a dog-demon chooses his or her mate by scent. They do have times of infatuation, but when they mate, they mate for life. The only time that doesn't occur is when it's an arranged marriage, like Father and that bastard Sesshomaru's mother. When a dog-demon selects a mate, they know that their mate will never leave their side until they die…. Inu-Yasha looked up to see Kagome peering at him inquisitively. Kagome will never leave my side…. He felt a smile tugging on the corners of his mouth. And I'll never leave hers….

"Inu-Yasha? What is it?" she asked him, tying her satchel closed.

"Huh?" Dog boy tilted his head, his smile still there, not yet ready to admit anymore secrets to himself. "Nothing. Just a thought." He turned his gaze to the sky again; it was getting more shadowy, like nightfall. His face fell to seriousness again. What was causing the sky to darken so quickly?

Kagome peered up for a second, too, before hastily looking down again. "You shouldn't stare at it."

"What? Why?" Inu-Yasha fixed his gaze on her once more.

"It's a solar eclipse," she replied, as they were at the edge of the camp.

"And that means what to me?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in bafflement.

"A solar is eclipse is when the sun's light is intercepted by the moon. Everything goes dark…." She trailed off, stopping to dig the toe of her loafer into the ground, intently staring at the arc she was creating.

"Kagome," he grabbed her arm, "you're leaving something out, so tell me."

She peered back at him, an edgy smile spreading slowly, with that expression that read 'uh-oh'. "Uh, w-well…it's just…I know you're not going to like what I'm going to say."

"And that is, what?"

"Uh…hehe…um…the moon is dark…." Her eyes squinted together a bit as she tried to interpret his facial aspects, still being held by the upper arm. So far, it was stating shock.

"Damn it…." He released her arm with a sigh, uttering a slight growl. "Great and how long is this going to last?" he moaned, irascible as usual at this new inconvenience.

"Oh, for the whole eclipse to take place is only twenty minutes or so. The moon will be totally dark for a max of roughly five minutes."

Inu-Yasha sat Indian style down right there, propping his back against a tree. "Well, then, I'd rather wait it out."

"Wait what out?"
"My transformation, of course," he snapped, as if she were stupid. Just because he cared for her didn't mean he was suddenly stop being a humongous ass. "We're close by to everyone else." He screwed his eyes shut.

Kagome sat beside him on her knees. "All right," she agreed, watching as he opened his eyes again, a quiet gaze fixed on her for a moment.

It finally came to nightfall, and the land went into false night, and Inu-Yasha began to change. His ears slid down the side of his head, his fangs and claws retracted into human features, his eyes became violet, and his hair became blacker than the gloom around them. He blinked a few times.

"Well…" he stood up again. He opened his mouth to speak, but the boy suddenly seemed to change his mind. "Hey, Kagome, you wonder if that kid has changed too? I mean, maybe his period of vulnerability is the new moon as well. It's possible."

She nodded, bouncing to her feet, and wiped off her knees. "Maybe. Let's just peek over."

Moving as quietly as they could, Kagome and Inu-Yasha snuck up the bushes and peered over. All right, there was the brat, the pervert, Sango, Kirara, ah and there was Little Inu…aha! He was in human form, identical to Inu-Yasha in everyway; a perfect, midget-sized copy. It was a very strange thing to behold, indeed. Then again, everything about that kid was abnormal.

"Weird," Inu-Yasha mumbled, turning his head to whisper it in the girl's ear. Then he noticed how close he was to her, his nose about brushed hers when she turned to look at him, and dip her head. His heart began to pound. Oh, fuck, I forgot. In my human form, my defenses aren't just weaker physically, but emotionally to boot! Shit…shit…shit, shit, shit! I hope to the gods that I don't do something fucking stupid. No matter how much he kept warning himself, the desire to reach and touch Kagome, to just enfold his arms around her, was overwhelming.

"It's a shame you can't look up at an eclipse," he heard her say. "They are really beautiful, well, from pictures I've seen." She sighed.

Inu-Yasha thought. "Maybe you can." He snatched her hand. "Come on!"

"I-Inu-Yasha!" she stammered as he dragged her along, bringing her out of her crouched position. In the process she dropped her satchel of herbs. "You can burn your eyes if you look at it!" Almost tripping over a tree root, Kagome thought it best to shut her mouth and focus on keeping up with him. Even as a human, he was fast.

The boy said nothing as he brought her to another clearing. "I found this earlier when the rest of you were finding a place to set up camp for lunch," he scoffed in a fake, arrogant tone.

"What did you...?" Kagome ceased speaking.

Inu-Yasha had just led her to a lake; the water seemed to flow out to the horizon into eternity. It was rippling from the breeze kissing the silvery surface. Toward the center of the pool, a ring of blazing fire was visible, as if it were going to suddenly flare outward and engulf everything up to the banks. In the heart of the ring, there was a blacker area; the moon. The eclipse would be ending soon…. Nearer to the girl, reflected in the water was her reflection, as well as her dearly loved companion's. They were standing there, quietly holding hands. She felt something warm and calloused against her palm; she glanced over, and saw that she wasn't imagining it. She and Inu-Yasha were actually holding hands.

Kagome laid her head against his shoulder, enjoying his warmth by her side, and the image shining up at them from the water. Her cobalt orbs grew in more surprise when she saw the wrinkling, water reflection Inu-Yasha placing a light kiss on the top of her head, a placid grin on his face. "Inu-Yasha…" she tentatively whispered, her voice barely audible. The eclipse was starting to give the moon some light again.

"Yeah?" he asked, the tone gentle, his forelocks blowing before him in the swifter wind.

For a moment, she watched the forelock of midnight become transformed into hoary moonlight once again. Venturing to look up again at his face, the eyes were returning from orbs of violet to golden sunlight, so tranquil and loving was their gaze; the ears were returning to their place and shape. She could feel his nails lengthen into claws, as they brushed gingerly over her skin.

He appeared so surreal, like a wraith from one's dreams, a mixture of starlight and moonlight in long, silken beams, and orbs of the deepest amber with a cat's eye strip of black in the center. Light was leisurely reverting the world from its romantic-night state to the bright sunshine of the afternoon-yet the way it was coming; it was like a dawning of a new time, a revelation.

Kagome wrapped her other arm round Inu-Yasha, and held him nearer to her. The girl's head now found a resting place on the front his shoulder. "Thank you for showing me that…."

Smiling still, the dog-hanyou's free arm encircled her waist and he whispered, "No, Kagome, thank you…." I will always be the one who should say "sorry" and "thank you"…. Thank you for being yourself and giving me a freedom I didn't realize I'd been denied. But also sorry, for not realizing what I'd been taking for granted, and how I'd hurt you because I was an idiot. Inu-Yasha was beginning to bring his head down, and Kagome had tilted hers up to meet him halfway when-

"Inu-Yasha? Kagome? What are you two doing so close together?" they heard Shippo question curiously. "You weren't going to--?"

The fox boy hadn't gotten the chance to finish his next inquiry for Inu-Yasha had rushed over and clamped his hand over his mouth. "Listen here, brat," he hissed, his other clawed hand clutching onto the front of Shippo's shirt, "mention this and I'll make sure that you become a nice water skin. Got it?" Shippo nodded vigorously that the meaning was received in high definition, the eyeballs as huge as his pink balloon form; boy, were those claws convincing. "Good," he breathed tersely.

Kagome walked over; apparently the hanyou hadn't knocked her over. "So, is everyone waiting for us?"

The boy bobbled his head, an odd look on the child's face; it was a mixture of being perturbed and being fearful. "Yeah…." Shippo led the way to camp, in silence, wondering exactly what occurred between the pair.

Sure, he and about everyone else in the group, and even Granny Kaede and the people of village knew how the two original seekers-and breakers-of the Shikon no Tama felt about the other. Somehow, it didn't bother the fox-child all that much to think of Inu-Yasha ending up with Kagome. All right, so the guy had serious attitude problems, and was irascible as they come, not to mention violent, but he did get revenge for the boy's ma and pa. Better than that wolf jerk Kouga that kept calling him a raccoon; Shippo wasn't so easy to forgive a guy that was willing to feed him to wolves…at least dog boy wouldn't be that heartless…right?

When they returned, Miroku and Sango had managed very well to tidy up the area. All of Kagome's articles had been placed neatly back in her military-sized knapsack, regardless that it was getting rather low; she had only brought what she direly needed. Little Inu was chasing a terrified rabbit with a guise of delight spread over his countenance.

Pausing from his conversation with the demon huntress, the young Buddhist monk turned back to the approaching forms. "Ah, good to see you have all returned," he said. He tipped his head when he saw the slightly flushed faces of Inu-Yasha and Kagome, walking side-by-side.

The girl-from-the-future's hands were clasped in front of herself, a satchel of herbs steadied between them. She must have picked the bundle back up on the return trip. The hanyou boy was observing his feet with sham interest.

Shippo caught the gaze of the monk, and shrugged his shoulders. Normally, he would've mentioned something to Miroku and Sango, especially if it came with the added benefit of torturing Inu-Yasha; however, even the fox had his limits. The way the dog-demon had threatened him…well, he rather much liked the land of the living…. In any case, the guy might lose his bravado if his closest act to confession was blown wide open; he always did better when he thought no one was looking.

Little Inu paused his game; the rabbit took the cue and scurried off, and peered over at the pair. Judging by their expressions, he figured dog boy had yet to tell her. He sighed. Sheesh, that guy was a dolt…. "So, you're finally back. That's good. We're not that far now. I'm guessing within the next three hours if we leave right now. It'll be getting close to sunset by that time though."

Clearing his throat, Inu-Yasha announced, in his normal gruff voice, "Fine, then. We'll leave first thing tomorrow morning. No point in trying to fight in the middle of night with everyone half asleep."

Everyone nodded their concurrence, and the entourage bedded down at the clearing, enjoying fragments of the blue-black heavens high above, sprinkled with stars as they drifted to sleep.

"Momma, Momma!" two children were chanting at a young woman, who was moving around the kitchen in her priestess robes.

"What, what?" she echoed back, laughing.

"Momma," the little girl said, her long silver hair braided down her back, "Daddy says for you to get dressed in your finest kimono."

The girl's mother got to her knees, making herself eye level. "Oh, really? Did he say why?"

The other child, Little Inu, replied happily, grabbing his mom's hand, "He said it was a birthday surprise. Aunt Sango and Uncle Miroku say to hurry up. Please, Momma?"

She patted him on the head between his dog-ears. "All right, Little Inu. I need you to run and tell your aunt and uncle that I'll meet up with everyone shortly." She peered over at her daughter. "Hime, could you help me with my kimono?"

The girl nodded vigorously. "Of course, Mommy!" She grabbed her mother's hand as Little Inu took off, releasing his mother's hand. The pair trotted up the stairs, chatting a bit.

"Uncle Miroku? Aunt Sango?" Little Inu called, scampering down the east wing of the castle. "You still here?"

"BOO!" someone yelled, making the dog boy near jump out of his skin.

He whipped around to find himself facing a teenage fox-demon, chuckling so hard he was crying; his arms circled his stomach as he doubled over. Little Inu growled. "Shippo! You stupid fucker! Don't do shit like that!" he cursed angrily, veins popping all over his head.

Amidst his laughter, Shippo managed to choke out, his gingery bangs toppling in front of his eyes, "You are…so much…like your…dad!" He took a deep breath, wiping the tears away with the back of his hand. "Sango and Miroku are on the last door on the right." Before Little Inu could make a swipe with his claws, the fox had disappeared. Stupid foxes and their sorcery….

He made it to the door and cautiously opened it. "Auntie Sango? Uncle Miroku?"

The pair looked up, Sango holding a baby girl in her arms, and a boy-around Little Inu's age-stood at her side. Miroku smiled. "So, is you mother ready?" he asked.

The boy nodded. "Nearly. Meet up with my dad, alright?" He ran out the door, grinning hugely to himself.

"You're really gonna like this, Mom!" Coupa was exclaiming, leading his mother, now clad in a beautiful white kimono with pink butterflies dotted on it, out into the courtyard. They stopped beside an anxious-looking Sango and Miroku; Lady Kaede stood mildly amused but seemingly happy as well.

"You keep saying that." Her eyes lighted upon her husband. "All right, Inu-Yasha, what are you up to now?"

He grinned. "Not too much…except this." He signaled Soto and Setsi with his head. The twosome pulled a large curtain off a garden behind him. It had blooms of every flower imaginable, and there were more colors than on any pallet. "It's our own herb and flower garden, Kagome. The kids and I worked hard on it. Happy birthday."

Little Inu awoke before everyone else, rubbing his eyes. It wasn't quite daybreak yet. Sadly, he smiled. "That was Momma's present this year. Her birthday was about five months ago." He heaved a sigh as he got up from his spot beside Kagome and Shippo, giving the fox's tail a small yank; the boy grumbled in his sleep, which gave him slight pleasure. He stepped over the sleeping form of Sango and warily avoided Miroku who was moaning something about "all the pretty girls". Lecher.

Still going quietly, Little Inu climbed a tree, and could see from his temporary perch, Inu-Yasha asleep, with one foot dangling off the limb. Tetsusaiga was cozily tucked against his chest. Scaling higher, the young hanyou made his way to the top of the tree, where the higher branches tangled with the limbs of Inu-Yasha's roost. There he plopped down.

The sun was rising in streaks of pink and orange hues, overtaking the emerald grasses; however, it could not overcome the awesome crimson of Mount Fire Soul. Rings of broken, tinted smoke floated around it. As the boy sat up there, watching the world of the Sengoku Jidai surrounding him grow to day, he beheld a streak of flame shoot upwards from the side of the sacred mountain.

Shiokki...he must have realized we are coming closer to his dwelling… Little Inu thought. He heard a long yawn from the branches below his, presumably Inu-Yasha. Today, this group was going to be fighting against the dragon Shiokki. Supposedly, he was stronger than any other demon or dragon; perhaps even more horrible than Ryukotsusei. The kid knew this was going to be a rather difficult battle, but he had to save his father. If I don't bring the herbs back to Father, we're all doomed in my time…and I don't want to think of what might happen to the Tetsusaiga….

"Thinking about something, kid?"

Little Inu whipped his head around and saw Inu-Yasha, now crouched on the limb beside him, surveying him with the same ambry gaze he retained. "Yeah…I just don't wanna screw up and not make it back…or get all of you killed," he murmured quietly, staring off at the expanse again.

"Feh, don't worry about it, Inu," the older dog-demon said, giving a stretch, arcing his back a tad. "We'll get the Hakushinmu herbs and get you to your family."

The boy peered over at him, smiling lightly. "You know, it's rather funny that you got swept up into the hero business."

"Eh?" He ceased stretching, examining at him again bemusedly. "What do you mean 'hero business'?"

He shook his head. "Saving people, helping people, pursuing Naraku, all of that. Those are all acts of a hero." Little Inu stood up on the branch. He shaded his eyes with a hand as he paused for a moment. "I'm pretty sure Shiokki knows we're near."

Inu-Yasha watched as another tongue of fire leapt up from the mountainside. He smirked. "Well, I'm sure we'll get a nice, warm welcome now won't we?"

A few hours later, Miroku woke up, and not long after that Sango and Kagome as well. Shippo was still snoozing until Little Inu dumped a bucket of frigid river water on his head. The fox leapt up into the air like his tail was on fire, and landed again, resembling a squirrel on crack. The two boys got in a squabble, punching, kicking, and biting, and doing about every other trick they knew. It was the girls that broke them apart; Kagome restraining Little Inu and Sango restraining Shippo. Miroku and Inu-Yasha seemed slightly affronted when the mini-battle stopped.

With very little conversation at breakfast from the children of the group, the company went onward to Mount Fire Soul. They had decided to walk, rather than riding on Kirara with Kagome on Inu-Yasha's back as not to exhaust themselves; they left Kagome's bicycle chained up, obscured by bushes.

"There's no doubt we will have to battle this Shiokki," Miroku had made sure to remind them as they got nearer. "If we are at low power, we may have a lot of trouble defeating such a tough enemy."

Sango nodded. "That's right. As far as I know, no one has ever made it back from Mount Fire Soul alive."

"Well, I don't know about the rest of you," Inu-Yasha snorted, "but I don't have any plans on getting scorched. I'm gonna defeat that dragon. I've defeated one once. All I have to do is unleash the Bakuryuha and we'll have no problem getting the herbs."

"Inu-Yasha," Miroku began, sighing, with a moderately large sweat drop creeping down his face as he forced himself not to smack the half-demon over the head, "you cannot always rely on strength alone."

He looked at the monk, blinking. "I'd have to get in position first, see where everyone is, and all that good shit. What do you think I am? An unorganized idiot?" He fumed a bit. "Feh."

Actually, you would've gone swinging the sword around, if we were to go back to when I first joined you and Lady Kagome… Miroku thought. "No, no. You have improved. My mistake." He waved a placatory hand.

"Keh! You'd better apologize." Inu-Yasha crossed his arms inside the sleeves of his cloak.

It's not long now, Little Inu told himself, easily carrying Kagome's knapsack, laden with food and first-aid equipment, on his back with his superior, half-demon strength. When we get there, we have to defeat Shiokki…we can't lose, because if we do…my present will cease to exist. He swallowed audibly, feeling his heart thud against his ribs. Grasping on to the rosary around his neck, he distractedly played with the beads using his free hand. A chilly wind blew down from the mountain peak, smacking the boy in the face incredulously. It ruffled his hoary hair, making him gaze upward. There was something whitish-pink fluttering high above them…

"Don't worry, Little Inu," Kagome reassured him, noticing his apprehension. She smiled at him pacifically, wondering what he was looking at. "We promised that we'd save your dad, and we will."

Still gaping at the petals drifting in the air. "R-right…."

Another hour or so, and the shard hunters found themselves at the foot of the massive Mount Fire Soul. Circled round it were sakura trees, their blossoms in full bloom with the most elegant, soft pink color. A mosaic of sakura petals swirled in the breeze from the mountain, dancing about like a small typhoon.

So this is where the petals were coming from…. Little Inu gawked at the mass before him. How high up was it? What cave did his father say the Hakushinmu herbs were in?

The petals waltzed spryly in the cool wafts.

Venturing through the breathtaking curtains of flowing sakuras, three humans, two half-dog-demons, and two demons (Myoga had taken off for the shelter of Toutousai's forge earlier) began to scale Mount Fire Soul, very aware of what danger they were thrusting themselves into.

The sloped path was worn, but somewhat steep, and everyone trod warily. Kirara brought up the rear in case anyone should loose their footing; Miroku was in the middle, and Inu-Yasha-as usual-lead the way. Stray rocks toppled onto the trail, and a few times Shippo almost got squished, but Kagome or Little Inu saved him every time, to Inu-Yasha's slight dismay.

Round and round and round they went. Higher, and higher, and higher on each circle.

A pair of glowing, crimson eyes smoldered vacantly from a cave a few rounds above them, which only Kagome noticed. She gave a shudder at the thought that a really big dragon was attached to the rest of those eerie orbs…she quivered again as something else hit her…. It was Shiokki's youki, she realized in mystification. For some reason, this mindless, stoic dragon had a deep feeling of sobriety mixed with the usual demonic aura….

The eyes blazed a bit more, a petite flicker of something in them, as a jet of smoke filtered out from the area a bit below them. Then, they simply disappeared.

"You ok, Kagome?" Shippo asked, noticing the girl's stationary position. Sango and Kirara waiting baffled in the wake of her; Miroku, Little Inu, and Inu-Yasha all turned to scrutinize.

She waggled her head fiercely. "Y-yeah. I'm fine. Sorry." She jogged up to her place at the rear of Inu-Yasha. Shiokki…he's sad. Is he still heartbroken over Jumiyo after all this time? Kagome pondered with a curved, pensive finger at her bottom lip. Her cobalt eyes shined with a coat of sympathetic, heartfelt tears.

Chilly wind blew down from Fire Soul's snowcapped peak.

Turn around another bend, and another bend, and another bend…sooner than expected, the companionship was but a breath's distance away from the cave where the girl had spotted smoldering eyes.

They were now in the midst of the scarlet smoke, the haze itinerating in and out over them; voices muffled as they yelled back and forth to one another, to make sure all were accounted for.

Kagome trembled with apprehension, but said nothing, even when Inu-Yasha interrogated her on her jittery behavior.

One step, one more step, another, one foot after another…all too sudden, yet so expected, the mountain pathway quavered. The fifteen-year-old girl blindly seized hold of the back of the hanyou boy's cloak, which kept melding in with the fog of blood red; she trembled, not from the quaking ground beneath her, but that this might be a bad omen.

"Heh, heh…" Inu-Yasha chuckled. "It looks like he knows we're here. Kagome," he craned his head to peer at her firmly with his gold eyes, "stay close behind me. I can't have you get hurt."

She stared at him for a moment, but then it registered and she nodded. "O-ok," she ditheringly whispered as he faced forward once more. Please, tell me I'm just imagining things, please… she beseeched the gods, clutching onto the fire-rat cloak of her companion before her. Tell me my intuition is wrong… she continued to plead as Inu-Yasha drew Tetsusaiga. Flames shot over the transforming blade, receding at the hilt, flickering serenely as the rest of the other comrades joined the first pair, tentatively stepping towards the dark mouth of the cave, the region considerably wider.

A piercing, thunderous roar erupted from the cavern, making the mountainside vibrate violently. More rocks came crashing down around them as they struggled to maintain their balance; Shippo nearly went sliding off Kirara's back but was blocked by Miroku's staff, which the boy clutched to gratefully.

The rumbling got even worse as they heard the movement of a very bulky body, and the stamping of great feet. Little Inu winced as he felt hot breath rush out of the cave, spare that and he tried to maintain an imperturbable face. He gripped the knapsack tighter with both hands, his feet hanging on to the tremulous earth.

A grandiose voice boomed from within, "WHO DARES TO TREAD UPON THE PATHS OF FIRE SOUL?!"

"We've come for the Hakushinmu herbs," replied Inu-Yasha, unflustered; a feral smirk spread over his face. "Either you move out of the way, Shiokki, or I'll have to hack a hole in your belly and make an entryway myself." He gripped the hilt of the sword tighter to stress his point. His grin widened. "Which will it be?"

Large, looming, crimson eyes appeared in the pitch blackness of the depths of the grotto. A thunderous chortle swept out of the mouth of the dragon. "WHO ARE YOU, LITTLE HALF-BREED MUTT, TO COMMAND WHAT I AM TO DO?! AND TO MAKE SUCH OUTRAGEOUS DEMANDS AS OBTAINING THE HAKUSHINMU HERBS?! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT AT ONCE!" A spiral of flame swirled out the width of the cave and came careening at the ground fore the group.

"Look out!" Inu-Yasha yelled, as he, tucking Kagome under an arm, leapt out of the way. Glimpsing at his friends, and seeing that they were unhurt, he set the girl behind him on the outcropping they were positioned at and bounded down to a lower point, a deeper within the cave. "You! I gave you another way out! You dumb shit! You asked for this, Shiokki!" Inu-Yasha began to raise the katana high above his head as he soared into the air again. "KAZE NO KI-"

"Inu-Yasha, look out!" Sango shouted as a massive, clawed dragon-hand came sweeping upon the young half-demon.

He managed to barely evade it, landing near a sidewall. Damn, this is going to be a lot harder. It's pretty dark in here. He examined the creature closer, and his eyes grew wider when he became conscious of something critical. He's enormous! Not only that, Shiokki is totally black! No wonder I can't navigate my body around here and know where he is; it's like he's everywhere! "Hey, Shiokki!" he called cynically. "Do you like hiding under the cover of darkness? Are you scared of the light?" He dodged another spattering of flame.

"YOU DARE TO INSULT ONE SUCH AS I, WORTHLESS HALF-DEMON?! YOU ARE FOOLHARDY, INDEED, AND THEREFORE SHOULD BE PUNISHED! FOR YOUR VALOR TO SPEAK TO ME IN SUCH A MANNER, I SHALL ALLOW YOU TO SEE THE FACE OF YOUR EXECUTIONER." Drawing in a mighty breath, Shiokki sent the entire cave into a brilliant, blazing inferno when he exhaled.

Inu-Yasha shielded his face with his cloak of the fire-rat as he crouched down low, Tetsusaiga clasped steadfastly in his right palm. He rose to his feet again swiftly, spotting many singed corpses. The new light of this crevice in the mountain was made by the igniting of the torches all along the wall, as well as the surviving clothes of the skeletons Shiokki had for company; the light from the entrance had a warping, hot red look to it from the crimson clouds outside.

The form of large, ebony dragon stood, pulsating sides as it breathed. Shiokki had a long face, with two horns that were stretching rearward. Large nostrils flared, slate colored steam emitting from them. An elongated tail twitched back and forth, rather like a cat's, at his side. A spine of barbs arced down it. Upon his back, was a pair of furled wings. The corners of Shiokki's mouth lifted; one would have to suppose that it was a sneer of stark white, sharp teeth-it was a wonder why they weren't yellow and blood-stained…

"I see you're a gracious host," Inu-Yasha scoffed in an undertone. "You treat everyone the same. I'm so flattered, but I'd rather," he swung the sword, connecting with Shiokki's outstretched, scaly arm, "postpone your idea of fun!" Pushing himself away from the colossal, black dragon, Inu-Yasha landed back by his friends. Red blood, tinged with a slight silver reflection, poured onto the stone floor, flowing into the cracks.

"Hiraigotsu!" cried Sango, launching her boomerang bone towards the chest.

Shiokki reared back on his hind legs in enragement, when the blade of Hiraigotsu hit him above the sternum. He winched his long, rough neck upwards and howled a column of flame at the ceiling.

Kagome had edged into the battle, standing at the ready with her bow and arrows, which she'd kept both her quiver and bow on her back during the ascent. Beside her were Little Inu and Shippo. The young dog boy had set the yellow pack in the corner of the cave, figuring it the safest spot for their supplies.

"They really are going at it, aren't they?" Kagome said, following Inu-Yasha's every move intently with her eyes. Please, be careful!

"Look at the floor!" she heard Shippo exclaim.

"What is it?" She got on one knee to examine the swirls on the rock beneath their feet.

"It's blood," answered Little Inu simply. "It may not be Shiokki's entirely. I'm guessing that the blood is from his older victims." He leered sardonically. "Take a good look at the walls."

"Hmm?" The girl returned to her feet and gazed around the walls. There were streaks of scarlet, like someone injured had been dragged forcibly over the jagged surface. The rifts of the stone had a burgundy tinge….

Fearful, Kagome returned to the battle before her; Inu-Yasha was hopping around, dodging attacks; Sango was throwing Hiraigotsu, trying to distract Shiokki long enough for the dog-demon to unleash Tetsusaiga's ultimate attack; Miroku was carefully playing by ear, darting in and out as he attacked the mighty dragon with his staff. He used his spiritual wards and ashen salts to try and temporarily cease the great body's actions. Kirara was giving him an extra boost when needed, the same for Sango.

But then, Shiokki's immense, clawed hand came swooping upon Kirara, who was carrying Sango at that moment. He smacked the pair, mid-flight, and they went fleeting downwards, the cat-demon de-transforming.

"NO! Sango!" cried Miroku as he rushed to get beneath her.

Shiokki had turned his attention to the monk as well, figuring he could get three for the price of two…. He raised the hand again….

"NO!" A surge of radiance filled the cave, making it more vivid than even the spin of fire Shiokki had used. The cause of it stood there, her bow in hand. Kagome's arrow had struck Shiokki's tough, armored chest. Because of the strength in his scales, his body didn't explode like Naraku's had, but it had wounded him; more silvery-red blood spilling to the cavern floor. "Are you all right?" she called to her friends.

"Yes, Lady Kagome," Miroku called back as he knelt, having moved further out of the battle zone. "Sango just passed out for a moment," he cradled the girl in his arms, her head resting limply against his chest, the cat curled at his side, "and Kirara's a little disoriented. They should be coming around in a bit."

Kagome nodded, and watched Inu-Yasha, who was doing his aerobatics again as he did everything he could to dodge, parry, and strike as much as possible. The girl ran a bit closer to the battleground. Someone has to be Inu-Yasha's support. Miroku is taking care of Sango; he can't run over to this side of the cave because he might be spotted in Shiokki's line of sight. It's up to me. "Shippo, guard the supplies," she instructed over her shoulder.

"But…yes, Kagome!" the fox agreed after brief vacillation, bobbing his head. He scuttled over to situate himself before the pack. "Nothing will happen as long as my Kitsunebi is at work." He raised his hands above his head to give a quick shot of the blue fox fire.

Little Inu dashed over to Kagome's heel. "I'm coming with you, Kagome, and don't tell me otherwise. I know what I'm doing. I'll be helpful, I know I will." He gave her a determined gaze, and she sighed a tiny bit.

"All right…." She watched as the boy trotted at a point a ways from her, but he could effortlessly close the distance with his speed. If you truly are Inu-Yasha and my future son, then you would rush out even if I said not to….

Inu-Yasha had managed to parry a claw, now making his aerobatics and acrobatics act a floor show. "Keh, is this the best you got, bastard?" He dived underneath the talons and slipped under the belly as Shiokki shot at him with fire, scraping the softer part with his own claws.

Shiokki reared again, and Inu-Yasha shot out from his position. He raised the Tetsusaiga in his hands as he leapt in the air, already distinguishing where the wound of the wind was; the dragon's spirit was starting to be sucked into the sword's aura…. "BAKURYU-"

The dragon powerfully swung at the hanyou, and smacked him into the wall of the cave; a gash on his side broke open yet again with fresh spills of blood.

"Inu-Yasha!" Kagome screamed, petrified as she attempted to get in closer range to him. She hadn't realized he'd gotten hurt, or how badly he might be. She knocked an arrow on her bowstring.

Shiokki was bearing down on the dog-demon; Inu-Yasha saw that he no longer had Tetsusaiga; it was closer to the kid.

"NOW!" Kagome let loose her enchanted arrow, and it sunk into the back of the dragon, pinning one of the wings, making him screech in agony.

Changing his mind, Shiokki turned to the girl, his eyes very blank red again, wild and unseeing but that of hatred…of a killer.

"Hijin Ketsusou!" the dog-hanyou yelled at the top of his lungs, flicking the blood from his side off his claws in razor-sharp arcs. The dragon wailed again when Inu-Yasha launched his counterstrike. The boy got the reaction he was looking for as Shiokki advanced toward him again. "Kagome! Get out of here!"

"But, Inu-Yasha!"

"Just do it!"

Shiokki took in a deep breath, eyes inflamed….

"Inu-Yasha!" the girl shrieked.

Little Inu saw it right before him from his place on one knee, the Tetsusaiga….

He caught a glimpse of Inu-Yasha bleeding profusely, apparently having gotten more lacerations after a few meetings to the wall; Shiokki was getting ready to incinerate him…and when he would realize that the flames couldn't ever hurt Inu-Yasha…probably mash him into pulp. He knew he had to do something.

Sango was just waking up in Miroku's arms, Kirara's tail convulsing in overdrive.

He had to. He grasped the hilt of the un-transformed blade.

Shippo was screaming as he ran around the knapsack.

Little Inu lifted the blade in his hands, and raised it above his head…

"How do you find the Kaze no Kizu, Dad?"

The Tetsusaiga transformed to its fullest length…

"I found it by smell the first time. Now, it's second nature. It's the fissure where two demon energies meet…"

It was so heavy…

"Where the demon energies meet? What do you do?"
But Shiokki was getting closer by the second, now seeing that his flames had no effect on the protective clothing…

"Yes, youki collides, but does not mix, and so where they meet, there is a seam. By finding that place and swinging the blade…"

Shiokki was raising his claws, a pulsation of icy youki, and Kagome was knocking yet another arrow onto her bow…

"…you unleash the power of Tetsusaiga…the Kaze no Kizu…"

He could smell it, plainly, between him and Shiokki…

"The only thing more potent, and it only works with very powerful demons…"

He raised the blade higher, forgetting about the overwhelming weight…

"…is the Bakuryuha…."

"BAKURYUHA!" the boy roared swinging the Tetsusaiga down with all the force he possessed, bringing himself to his knees. The vast, alabaster fang clouted the blood-soiled stone, forming a deep, cracked line. Little Inu panted in ragged succession quickly.

His attack had struck Shiokki, sending the bloodied body sliding down the side of the grotto, delving deeper into the dark. He could see it shrinking to the size of a man….

Cold. There was suddenly icy cold air in the cavern and he knew something was wrong and Little Inu was sure he knew what….

Kagome looked over to Inu-Yasha, who was also panting heavily, hunched over on his haunches, his face dark and opaque from view. She heard a deep, resonating, savage growl. "I-Inu-Yasha…?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Kukuku…. I am so evil! Kukuku…. (Don't you just love the evil laugh I learned from my acting coach, Naraku? @_@) Ok, typical things that might be helpful to you.

Ryukotsusei was the dragon Inu-Yasha's father battled. The injuries he received in that battle were the direct cause of his death. Also, Inu-Yasha's father didn't kill Ryukotsusei, he sealed him away with a claw. (Remember the huge dragon from the 2nd Ending theme "Fukai Mori" that Sesshomaru visits? That's the dragon.) Inu-Yasha has to have Tetsusaiga re-tempered by Toutousai after one of Naraku's 'children' (Goshinki), breaks the katana with his teeth. Inu-Yasha's left fang, if I remember right, is used as a binder for the blade. The problem is that Inu-Yasha's power, at the time, has yet to catch up to his great, demon-father. This is bad two ways as it is his sealing sword for his strong, demonic blood (every time he turns full demon, it eats away at his human heart and his mind), as well as the best weapon he has (when it's red, it's the barrier-cutting Tetsusaiga). So, he has to do something that would surpass his father if he wants to be able to easily wield Tetsusaiga again. He beats Ryukotsusei (Naraku unleashes it, telling it that the son of the dog-demon that sealed him is approaching-Myoga wanted Inu-Yasha to kill the dragon while it was pinned-which Inu-Yasha didn't want to do. Duh, I wonder why he thought you shouldn't kill someone while they are pinned and enchanted….) and his power is past his father's; that's when Inu-Yasha masters the sword because he uses the Bakuryuha to do it. The sword is heavy for Little Inu because his power isn't passed his dad's yet.

Phew! 11 pages for everyone! I worked hard on this ok! This is my big apology.

Inu-Yasha could not visit today because he is in anger management classes…. Today, we get to speak with the other star, that right, Little Inu-Yasha!

Little Inu: *walks out and waves* Hi! I really like all the nice reviews people are sending, and I'm having fun being here.

Is it hard being with your dad at this young of an age? Is he different when he's actually your dad?

Little Inu: Absolutely! He's more patient, and he doesn't smack us over the head…just Shippo!

I see. So, what're your plans after this?
Little Inu: Well, go home, make my dad well, and prove to my brothers that I'm not a weakling because I'm the youngest.

There you have it, folks!

As always, please write me at: hanyou_miko_dreamer@hotmail.com I love reviews and mail! ^^ Also, please go to for my other stories. ("Shikon High", "On Vacation", and my one shot "Hugs and Kisses") The first address listed is for FanFiction.net and the second is for MediaMiner.org

http://www.fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=380821

http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/src.php?auth=73370

At the moment, MediaMiner.org is having a problem uploading the image to their site, it keeps saying it's too big even though my picture says it's on 519 bytes or so, so whenever I get it up, or where it is uploaded to first, I will leave a note at the FanFiction.net site-please check there or check Hero of the 21st Century, Inuyasha's Celestial Arrow, or Sailor Bob's Inuyasha page, or check my profile for a link to these sites. ^^

Here's my shout out: Soranji-chan, Danya Okey, Edward Tivrusky, tesusaiga-girl, Snickerdoodle, cool-girl, Kagomesjewel, shadow wraith, and someone very kind contacted me on AIM, to which I am very appreciative; however, I can't remember their name. Gomen! ^^;

Also, feel free to contact me on AIM hanyoumiko or on MSN IM which uses the same as my e-mail.

Not much more to say today.

Ja ne!

~Moonlight Shadow

P.S. Inu-Yasha and Kagome were fighting about him going through her backpack again last time….

Japanese used:

Kaze no Kizu-Cutting Wind, Wind Scar, Wound of the Wind

Bakuryuha-Ultimate Destructive Force (called "Dragon Twister" in the game manual) takes opponents spirit and turns it against them when the Kaze no Kizu is released.