InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 4: Kagome's Secret Unveiled ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 4

Days passed and Kagome and Inuyasha spent more and more time together. They were with each other practically every afternoon visiting Sango and Miroku. Kagome had learned her lesson and rarely ever went out at night anymore. Inuyasha would fight demons at night and stop by Kagome's window every now and then. Inuyasha still had his tough attitude most of the time. The only time he would let it slide was when he was around Kagome. Her friends at school became suspicious of them dating, but Kagome, of course, denied it.

"Yo! Kagome!" Inuyasha called out as he stopped by her window one night. Kagome turned around to see Inuyasha climbing into her bedroom window.

"Inuyasha! What brings you here?" she said with a smile.

"In the neighborhood," he said with a shrug. `Still puts on the tough guy thing,' Kagome thought.

"Inuyasha, I'm tired of staying inside at night!" she complained. She looked at him out of the corner of her eye to get his response. He just had a confused look on his face. "I wonder what Sango and Miroku are doing right now."

"Probably fighting demons as usual…what do you think?" he said roughly.

"I think it would be kind of cool to fight demons every now and then. They really piss me off sometimes! I hate demons!!!" she said angrily.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?!" he said defensively. He folded his arms in his kimono and glared at her.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Inuyasha. I wasn't talking about you. I was just referring to demons in general. I know there are some good ones out there. I shouldn't make such condescending stereotypical remarks," she said ashamed of herself.

"Did something happen today?" he asked. Kagome looked at him for a couple of seconds then nodded her head. He actually started to get a little worried.

"I ran into Manten on the way to the grocery store today," she said staring at the floor.

"Manten! Hiten's brother?!" Inuyasha said and came and sat on the bed next to her. She nodded her head.

"He followed me to the store," she began. "He grabbed me by my arm and warned me that he could just as easily take me in the day as he could at night so there was no sense in hiding. He said they would eventually find out where I lived and that it didn't matter to them whether it was day or night. I still don't know why he didn't take me then, nor do I know why he and his brother are even after me." She sighed. "What should I do? I can't hide here forever and I would hate for them to find me here. They would probably kill me and my family." She stood up. "That's why I am going out tonight. I can't allow them to find my family." A single tear rolled down her cheek. "I guess this is good-bye."

"WHAT???" Inuyasha exclaimed jumping up. "You're just going to feed yourself to them?"

"It's the only way I can protect my family. I can't let them hurt them," she said starting to walk to the door. Inuyasha grabbed her by the hand and whirled her around. "Inuyasha?"

"You can't do that!" he said. "I can't let you do that!" He was still holding on to her hand, which caused her to blush.

"And why not?" she said jerking her hand away. "You can't stop me!" She ran out of her bedroom and downstairs. Trying to head her off, Inuyasha jumped out of her window ran to the front door. Kagome flung open the door and ran straight into him knocking them both to the ground with Kagome on top of him.

They both blushed. "Sorry!" Kagome said as she lifted herself up off of him. She started to take off running but he grabbed her by the arm again.

"UGH!!! Would you quit doing that already?!" she exclaimed.

"Get on my back," he said.

"Huh?" she said puzzled.

"I said get on my damn back!!! If you insist on getting yourself killed, I guess I'll just have to go take care of things myself!" he said bending down a little so she could hop on his back.

"Thank you, Inuyasha," she said with a sweet smile.

"Yeah, Yeah! Whatever!" he said as she climbed on his back. They leapt through the air. As they traveled, Kagome held on tighter to Inuyasha than usual. He looked back at her.

"You okay? You ain't scared are ya?" he said with a smirk. She held on to him resting her head on his back. She didn't say anything. Inuyasha didn't like the way she was acting. "Kagome?"

"I like riding through the air with you," she said. "It's relaxing." She squeezed him tighter. "And I know that as long as you are with me, I can be at peace because I know that you aren't going to let anything happen to me." He smiled. He had to admit he liked their nightly flights together, too. He gripped onto her legs a little tighter. Their friendship was growing into something deeper though neither of them could admit it.

His smile quickly faded when he heard a fight going on. He looked down into a dark alleyway and saw Sango and Miroku…fighting the Thunder Brothers!

"Oh no! Inuyasha, we have to help them!" Kagome exclaimed.

"I'm on it!" he said and jumped down in front of Miroku and Sango.

"Ah! Just who I was looking for said Hiten!" said Hiten pointing his staff at Inuyasha. "Come to finish your battle with me, Inuyasha?"

"Damn right and to finish you along with it!!!" he shouted flexing his claws.

"Inuyasha?" Sango said under her breath. Neither her nor Miroku had seen Inuyasha in his demon form before. Kagome quickly ran over to Sango and Miroku.

"Sango! Miroku! Are you guys okay?" she said running up to them.

"Yeah! We're fine! Hey, what do these guys want with you anyway?" Miroku asked. Inuyasha looked back when he heard that.

"Wh-What?" Kagome stuttered.

"They knew we were friends of yours and have been trying to get us to tell them where you were!" Sango explained. Kagome looked at Inuyasha.

"Hey! What do you guys want from her, anyway?!" shouted Inuyasha. Manten smiled.

"I want her for my new potion," Manten explained rubbing his head. "She seems to have a really strong scent which makes it even that much better!"

"She is giving off an unusual scent and I don't like it, either," said Hiten twirling his staff. "But, I believe I have some issues to deal with you too Inuyasha. I knew you would not allow her to come alone!" Inuyasha growled and got into his fighting stance. "So, Manten," Hiten continued. "The girl is yours, but Inuyasha is mine." He smiled evilly.

"Like hell she is yours!" Inuyasha said flexing his claws. "Leave her out of this! Your fight is with me!" Hiten tilted is head back and laughed.

`They must have picked up on Kagome's miko powers,' Miroku thought looking at Kagome who just had a puzzled look on her face. She didn't understand at all what was going on. He then looked at Sango who was obviously thinking the same thing.

Manten tilted his head back and readied his thunder attack. Everyone noticed this except Kagome who still had no idea what was going on. Manten released his thunder attack and it headed straight for Kagome.

"Kagome!!!" Inuyasha shouted and raced towards her. He drew tetsaiga and placed it in front of them blocking the attack.

"He's protecting her!" Sango shouted. Hiten just scowled. The attack soon died down.

"Inuyasha!" Hiten hollered. "I believe your fight is with me!" He twirled his lightning staff and raced towards him. They clashed time after time with their weapons.

"Sango! Miroku!" Inuyasha shouted. "Protect Kagome!" They nodded and ran in front of her. Manten laughed.

"Oh!" he said gleefully. "Two humans are going to protect you, wench?! This battle is going to be easier than I thought." He rubbed his head. "Plus, that means I get another girl for my potion." Sango gasped. Miroku jumped in front of her.

"Over my dead body!" Miroku shouted.

"Only if you insist!" said Manten and attacked them again with his thunder attack. Sango jumped in front of everyone and blocked the attack.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha shouted.

"Never take your eyes off of your attacker!" said Hiten quickly knocking Inuyasha's sword to the side and thrusting his staff towards him. Inuyasha managed to dodge the attack to the chest, but the staff grazed his left arm leaving a long streak of blood.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shouted. Inuyasha placed his hand over the wound.

"You bastard!" he shouted and attacked Hiten again.

Meanwhile, Sango had managed to block Manten's attack. `Damn!' thought Manten. `Even the girl can block my attacks! I've got to get to that little brat, but how?' Manten lost his patience and charged the three drawing his sword. Miroku blocked each strike Manten attempted. Finally, he knocked Miroku to the side and raced towards Sango and Kagome.

"Sango!" Miroku shouted trying to stand up, but he was too injured to move much. He couldn't do anything.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha shouted. "Kagome! Sango! Get out of there!" It was too late. Sango blocked each attack as best she could with her boomerang. Inuyasha losing his attention towards Hiten earned him a hard punch to the face sending him flying back to the dead end of the alley.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shouted and ran over to him.

"Kagome, no! Stay with Sango!" Inuyasha shouted, but it was too late. Kagome had already started racing towards him with tears in her eyes.

"Inuyasha!" she shouted again extending her hand and as she ran. `Huh?' he thought. Suddenly, Manted gave Sango a bash to the head knocking her to the ground beside him.

"Sango!" Miroku shouted starting to regain some of strength. Manten took off after Kagome. Miroku crawled to Sango and helped her to her feet as best he could. Manten had almost reached Kagome when…

"Hiraikotsu!!!" Sango's boomerang slashed through Manten's back. Manten dropped to his knees shaking.

"Manten!" shouted Hiten. Miroku ran over to Manten and slammed his staff on his back sending blue and yellow electricity flying. When the light died down, Manten had vanished into thin air. Hiten was enraged.

"YOU BASTARDS!" he screamed charging them. "YOU'LL PAY FOR THAT!" Hiten charged them relentlessly. "IT'S ALL THAT BITCH'S FAULT! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU KAGOME!" He quickly took Miroku by surprise and knocked him out of the way injuring him yet again. Sango was too far away to do much but ran in that direction anyway.

"Hiraikotsu!" Sango shouted and threw her boomerang. Hiten easily dodged it and sent lightening towards her from his staff. It hit her and flung her against the brick wall leaving her unconscious. He stood in front of Kagome and Inuyasha. Inuyasha struggled to get up and hobbled in front of Kagome. `He's still protecting me even though it may cost him his life,' Kagome thought.

"Inuyasha," Hiten began. "I have now decided to not only kill you, but that little wench you are so desperately protecting as well."

"Like hell you will!" Inuyasha spouted back. "I'm not out yet and I'll never allow you to even touch Kagome!"

"Inuyasha, just leave," said Kagome sadly. He looked at her.

"What?" he asked.

"I said just get out of here. This isn't really your fight anyway. They're after me, so if I let them have me, this will all be over!" she said calmly.

"Are you nuts!" he screamed. "Cool it with the noble act already! Besides, what will I do after that, huh?" His tone softened a little. "No, Kagome. I am never going to leave you alone." He turned and pointed his sword at Hiten. "NEVER!"

Inuyasha swung his sword at him and their weapons clashed over and over again. Slowly they were led away from Kagome as they faught.

Hiten smiled. "FOOL! You fell into my trap!" Inuyasha looked confused. Hiten jumped into the air and shot lightning straight towards Kagome.

"What? Kagome, get out of there!!!" he shouted. He raced towards her. `Damnit!! I can't get there in time to block it,' he thought. `There's only one thing left to do!' He leapt in front of Kagome taking the lightning strike to his own body. "Aghh!" he shouted and fell lifeless to the ground.

"Inu-INUYASHA!" Kagome screamed waking Sango. Kagome flung herself onto him. "Don't die! Please don't leave me!" Tears began streaming down her face. Miroku crawled over to Sango.

"Are you okay?" asked Miroku. Sango nodded her head and saw Kagome and Inuyasha.

"What happened?" she asked jumping up. Miroku explained everything to her. "What?" she said shocked. "You mean Inuyasha gave his life for her?"

"I guess the rumor is true. He really would risk his life to save a human," Miroku stated. Sango looked at Kagome and Inuyasha.

"No," she said. "I think there's a little more to it in this situation."

Kagome checked Inuyasha's vital signs. He was still alive, but badly wounded. "Kagome?" he said weakly. "Are you okay?" She leapt onto him giving him a hug.

"Thanks to you I don't even have a scratch," she said with a smile. He smiled weakly.

"Good," he said and leaned over coughing up blood.

"Inuyasha!" she said crying.

"Kagome, get out of here," he said. Kagome frowned.

"Never! I'm not going to leave you, either!" she said hugging him. `Why won't she just run away?' Inuyasha thought.

"I said now!" he said coughing up more blood.

"You wouldn't leave me and I will NEVER LEAVE YOU!" she screamed and jumped up in front of Inuyasha. Hiten laughed.

"OH, so YOU are going to face me now?" he said with a laugh.

"I've had about a belly full of you ASSHOLE! YOU WANT ME? HERE I AM! COME AND GET ME!!!" she screamed at him. He laughed.

"No, Kagome," Inuyasha said trying to get up. Suddenly, unbeknownst to Kagome, her body began to glow a brilliant blue. The only one who didn't notice was Hiten because he was too focused on gloating and attacking her. The others just sat there in amazement.

"It's happening," said Miroku. Hiten struck Kagome.

"NOOO!" Inuyasha hollered jumping to his feet despite how injured he was. He was unable to do anything other than stand there when he saw what was happening. Kagome's entire body had blocked Hiten's staff.

"What the…" he said wondering what the hell was going on. Kagome calmly took a step forward. Hiten removed his sword from Kagome and back flipped away from her. She extended her arm flexing her hand. Blue light radiated from the palm of her hand.

"Leave us alone!" she shouted. The blue light shot from her hand striking Hiten. Hiten screamed for his life, but it was too late. The light died down and Hiten was gone. Sango, Miroku, and Inuyasha just stood there amazed at what they had just witnessed. Miroku and Sango stood up and walked slowly to Kagome.

"Kagome?" Miroku said. Kagome turned to look at Sango and Miroku who just froze in their tracks, then she collapsed. She would have hit the pavement hard had it not been for Inuyasha catching her.

"Inuyasha," Sango said. "We need to get you and Kagome back to our house so we can treat you for your wounds. Kirara!" Kirara jumped down from the top of the neighboring building. Sango and Miroku helped Inuyasha and Kagome climb onto Kirara's back, then they took off towards Sango's house.

Back at Sango's house, Inuyasha's wounds were already beginning to heal. He was still in a lot of pain, but he could walk. Kagome lay on the couch, covered with a blanket, and a cold cloth on her forehead. Inuyasha sat next to the couch indian style just staring at her with no expression. Sango took the cloth off of Kagome's forehead and dipped it in cold water. She placed it back on her head.

"I'm going to go change the water," Sango said.

"What happened to her tonight?" Inuyasha asked not shifting his gaze. Miroku and Sango looked at each other and finally realized that they had some explaining to do. Miroku sat next to Inuyasha mimicking his position.

"Kagome is a priestess," Miroku said. Shock spread across Inuyasha's face.

"Does she know that?" he said still looking forward.

"No, she does not. When she wakes up she will probably have the same questions as you." Miroku looked at Inuyasha. "She will be fine."

"That was some pretty powerful priestess work if you ask me," he said turning his attention back to Kagome.

"She is a powerful priestess," Sango said. "She is one of the most powerful in the city…possibly all of Japan."

"The priests and priestesses all know of Kagome. Her power comes from her pure spirit. We all knew she would eventually discover her powers," Miroku said. He stood up.

"Inuyasha…you really need to get better yourself, too," Sango said softly. "Kagome is going to be fine. She is just resting. She'll wake up soon. Tonight took a lot out of her. Meanwhile, I think you need to be tending to your…"

"I'M FINE!" Inuyasha interrupted. Sango jumped back a little. "I'm fine right where I am." Miroku shrugged at Sango and she finally gave up and walked into the kitchen. Sango started changing the water. Miroku looked out the kitchen door and into the living where Inuyasha hadn't budged.

"He hasn't moved a muscle," Sango said. "He just sits there as if that is going to make her come back quicker. He needs to heal himself." Sango smiled.

"He just doesn't want to leave her side," Miroku said. "I think he knows she is going to be fine, but there is still that doubt in his mind. Inuyasha expects a lot from himself and he would never forgive himself if something happened to Kagome." Sango nodded her head.

"He would have willing gave his life for Kagome tonight," she said sighing. "I'm starting to think he's in love with her." Miroku just stood there thinking.

"I have been starting to pick up on that, too lately. They are always together and Inuyasha is so untrusting of everyone, but when he gets around her it's like it's an entirely different Inuyasha. He trusts her," Miroku said. Miroku hung his head. "I understand his feelings, though." Sango looked up.

"Huh?" she said.

"I thought I was going to lose you tonight," he started. Sango blushed. "You were hit pretty hard yourself. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she said. "It's just a little bump on the head." She continued with what she was doing.

Miroku walked over to Sango and picked up one of her hands. "Sango…please be careful. I don't know what I would do if I lost you." Sango blushed heavily and jerked her hand away.

"What are you talking about Miroku?" she asked.

"Sango, we've known each other since we were little, and…" he began but Sango cut him off.

"And you always groped me and everything other girl you came into contact with!" she said sternly. Miroku put his hand behind his hand.

"Can't we put the past behind us?" he asked nervously. Sango glared at him. "Guess not!"

Meanwhile, back in the living room, Inuyasha's mind was racing. He sat there staring at Kagome. `I can't ever let anything happen to her,' he told himself. `Tonight was way too close. Had it not been for he priestess powers revealing themselves, she would have been a goner. I can't ever let that happen again. I can't ever do that.' He looked at her as she laid there peacefully. `She is definitely an amazing girl,' he thought. `Smart, kind, pure, beautiful…WHOA! Wait a minute! This is Kagome we're talking about. Why am I thinking like this? Kagome is my friend and nothing more.' He looked at her again and a small smile crept onto his face. `Besides, even if I did think all of those things…which I don't…she wouldn't want to be with a lowly hanyou like me. She would just want to continue being my friend. She's probably just being my friend because she feels sorry for me anyway.' He frowned. `Kagome's not like that and you know that,' his mind scolded him. He erased all thoughts from his mind. `No matter what she is to me, I will never let anything happen to her,' he thought.

Kagome began to stir a little. Inuyasha jumped on his knees and leaned over her. Her eyes soon open to two brilliant gold eyes staring back at her. To her surprise, he had a huge smile on her face. "Inuyasha!" she said sitting up and hugging him. He flinched a little. "Oh, I'm sorry. Are you still in pain?" she asked placing a hand on his chest. Inuyasha swallowed hard. He liked the feeling he was getting. He sat back down.

"Feh! This is nothing! I'll be fine!" he said looking away. He then got a serious look on his face and looked at her. "Just what the hell were you thinking back there? You could have gotten yourself killed!" Kagome was taken aback.

"I-I don't know what happened," she started as Miroku and Sango entered the room.

"Kagome!" they said in unison and rushed over to hug her.

"Hey guys!" she said hugging them back and smiling. Sango and Miroku took their seats with giddy, guilty looks on their faces. "Guys? What happened tonight?" she asked suspiciously. They both decided not to play dumb anymore.

"Kagome…you are a priestess!" Miroku announced. "A very powerful one at that!" Kagome looked as if she could have been knocked over with a feather.

"I am a what?" she asked as if she didn't believe what he was saying.

"You are a very powerful priestess," Miroku explained again.

"Wait a minute! You mean to tell me that you two knew this whole time…and you never told me?!" she asked a little upset.

"You wouldn't have been able to comprehend it if we had. Besides, priests and priestesses have to find out their powers on their own. No one can help them," he said. Kagome looked at the floor then back up at them.

"So what happened…back there? What did I do?" she asked hesitantly.

"Obviously something triggered your powers," he said. "It could have been that you were pissed. It could have been a realization that you were going to die if you did not summon your powers. Or…" Miroku glanced at Sango. "It could have been that you were going to try to protect the guy who saved your life!" Inuyasha and Kagome blushed. Inuyasha stared straight ahead and said nothing.

"What Miroku is trying to say is that your powers have always been there, they have just kind of been stored away…in your subconscious mind so to speak. Tonight, something summoned them to come out," Sango said.

"So, how do I use them again?" she asked.

"That's the part we can't help you with," Miroku said. "You have to figure that one out on your own." Kagome looked a little disappointed. "Don't worry, Kagome. You'll eventually figure it out."

"What about mom and Sota?" Kagome asked. "Do they have powers too?"

"They are holy people, but they have very little powers. Sota doesn't know of his yet. Let's put it this way. You have more power than your mom, Sota, and grandpa combined times ten," Miroku said. Inuyasha looked a little shocked. `Is Kagome really that powerful?' he thought to himself. Kagome hung her head and laid back down on the couch.

"What's wrong, Kagome? I thought you would be happy to find out this news," Sango asked concerned.

"I am," Kagome said. "I'm just afraid that people at school will soon find out, I'll be made fun of, lose all of my friends, and…and…I don't even know how to use these damn powers!!!" Kagome jumped up from the couch and ran out on the front porch.

Miroku and Sango exchanged concerned looks. "What's with her?" asked Inuyasha. Miroku and Sango looked at him.

"This is very distressing news for Kagome," Sango said. "If people find out, she can become very vulnerable. Humans will probably be a little afraid of her and demons will hunt her down. If demons kill priests or priestesses, they take on their powers. They'll definitely sense Kagome's powers as powerful as she is now that they have been unveiled. She's kind of like you now, Inuyasha…accepted by neither race."

`She's like me, now, huh?' he thought. "I would never wish for Kagome to live a life like mine," Inuyasha said and walked outside to join Kagome.

Kagome was sitting on the steps staring off into the starry night. She was crying just a little when she noticed Inuyasha standing over her. "Mind if I join you?" he asked. Kagome shook her head. Inuyasha sat down beside her. He looked up into the sky with her. "Great night," he said.

"If you mean the sky is beautiful then you're right!" she retorted. `Eep!' Inuyasha thought. `Did I say the wrong thing?' He cleared his throat.

"You know," he began. "I didn't ask to be a half-demon, but for some reason that I have yet to find out…it was meant to be." Kagome looked at him staring into the sky.

"It's just scary," she said timidly. He looked at her.

"Of course it's a little scary!" he said. "Demons coming after you all of the time, humans being afraid of you, not being accepted by either race…it's hard." He stared off into the sky again. "I didn't think I could trust anyone. Then I met you. You showed me that everyone deserves a fair chance no matter who they are. You didn't think twice about me being a hanyou. You still became my friend as if I were a normal human…so did Sango and Miroku." He looked down at his hands. "I know what you're going through right now. You probably have a lot of unanswered questions. You probably have even more worries. Just remember that there are people out there like you and Sango and Miroku who accept people for who they are. Until I met you, I didn't know or understand that, but now that knowledge is what helps get me through each day." Kagome sat there…dumbfounded by everything he just expressed.

"Inuyasha," Kagome said. He turned and looked at her. "I don't think you've ever been this open with me." She smiled. "I'm glad." He whipped his head away blushing.

"Yeah, well don't get used to it!" he retorted. Kagome continued to smile. Inuyasha let out a little `eh' as she wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head on his shoulder. He was blushing heavily, and didn't know quite how to act.

"Thank you," she said nuzzling deeper into his shoulder and neck. "Thank you for everything, Inuyasha." A small smile crept onto his face. He gently wrapped his arms around her. He ran a clawed hand through her hair, and rested his cheek on the top of her head.

"I'm never going to let anything happen to you Kagome," he said. "Never."

A set of curtains slowly closed behind them as the eavesdroppers finally allowed the hanyou and miko some privacy.