InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 5: What's going on? ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 5

Kagome walked to school nervously that morning. She had stayed over at Sango's house that night and awoke early that morning to find Sango and Miroku gone. Inuyasha had gone back to his cave to change scents. As Kagome walked a million thoughts raced through her head. `What if people begin to notice something different about me?' she thought. `How will I be able to face my friends? They will probably think that I am weird and not hang around me anymore. It's very rare for a priestess to attend school. They know that that is their calling and rarely even attend high school. Most priests and priestesses hang out with other priests and priestesses. So what do I do now? I am one of the very few if any holy people attending school. Will people be able to tell that I am different now?'

"Kagome!" she heard someone call. She turned around to see Yuri, Ayame, and Eri running towards her.

"Hi Kagome!" Yuri said. Kagome smiled nervously unsure of how to act with this new information.

"H-Hi guys," she said. They looked at her skeptically.

"Kagome, are you okay?" Eri asked. Kagome collected herself.

"Oh…fine, fine!" she said smiling. `Pull yourself together girl and pretend nothing has changed or they will nail you for sure!' she scolded herself. "Just a little worried about the upcoming test." Yuri and Eri continued to eye her suspiciously when Ayame saved the day.

"So, Kagome…how's your boyfriend?" she said excitedly. "He is such a hottie!"

The three girls sweat dropped, but Kagome was relieved to have a change of subject. "I told you, Ayame, he is not my boyfriend!" Kagome said stopping in her tracks.

"Yeah, yeah, sure, whatever!" they snickered as they walked passed Kagome.

"I mean it, guys, he's not!" Kagome said clenching her fists. "Hey, guys?" She chased after them as yet another spied on her atop the neighboring building.

`This looks like it is really bothering her. I better keep an eye on her today,' Inuyasha told himself and jumped to the next building to go to class.

Kagome walked straight to her desk and sat down. She was surprised to see that Inuyasha had taken his seat earlier than she did. She didn't even look at him, nor anyone else for that matter. She just stared at the front of the classroom waiting for the teacher to start class. Inuyasha looked at her. `She really is worried about this new info,' Inuyasha thought.

The teacher finally arrived. He almost had ran through the door and seemed out of breath. "Everyone, go home now." The entire class gasped. Most of them would have cheered had it not been for his expression. "Just please, everyone, class is dismissed. School is dismissed until further notice."

"What's going on?" a student asked apparently frightened. Inuyasha and Kagome exchanged glances.

"I am not at liberty to say," the teacher stated. "But go home and I am sure your parents will tell you everything." The teacher stood and started hurriedly escorting students out of the classroom. Kagome looked back at her friends. They had worried expressions on their faces. `They're scared,' Kagome thought. She looked back to the front of the classroom and then suddenly stood. Something had shot straight through her. A feeling, a terrible feeling engulfed her entire being.

"Something's wrong," Kagome said. Inuyasha huffed.

"Well no shit Sherlock!" he retorted. Kagome glared at him. He sunk into his desk. If his ears had been visible, Kagome would have seen them lay flat on his head.

"Something's happening. Something's coming. Something evil is on its way," she said to him. Inuyasha stood, now taking her very seriously.

"What's happening, Kagome?" he asked her staring at her.

"I'm not sure," she replied. "But it's something evil and…" She stood straight up as another feeling hit her. "There's a lot of them!" She looked at Inuyasha concern spread all over her face. "Sango! Miroku! They were gone this morning when I woke up! They may have some more specific information!" Inuyasha nodded his head.

"Alright! Let's go!" he said as they both began to run out of the classroom.

"Yuri! Ayame! Eri! Get home now and hurry! Be careful guys!" Kagome called to them as she ran out the door.

"Kagome, what's going on?!" they called after her.

"I'm not sure!" she shouted back. When Kagome and Inuyasha reached outside the sky was beginning to darken. Kagome clenched Inuyasha's shirt. He looked down at her.

"We have to hurry!" he said. "Come this way!" He led her down a nearby alley where she climbed on his back. They leapt from building to building until they came to Sango and Miroku's house. Kagome gasped. There were exterminators and priests everywhere.

"Sango! Miroku!" she called out. Inuyasha stood back. He took a couple of steps backwards. Kagome glanced back. "Inuyasha! What's wrong with you? Come on! We have to find Sango and Miroku!" For the first time in Kagome's life, she saw a look of fear on Inuyasha's face. "Inuyasha?"

"They will sense me!" he said. Kagome had forgotten that priests and exterminators could still tell the Inuyasha was a hanyou. It was too late. When Kagome turned around the priests and exterminators all had their eyes on him. It was apparent they were all about to attack when….

"NOOO! He's okay!" someone shouted pushing their way through the crowd.

"Sango! Miroku!" Kagome exclaimed when she saw the two emerge.

"This man will not be harmed!" Miroku shouted. Inuyasha was taken aback.

"Let me fight `em if they want," Inuyasha said flexing his claws. "I can take `em!"

"But you don't need to!" Sango said with pleading eyes. "We need all of the help we can get." Inuyasha scowled.

"For crying out loud what the hell is going on here?!" Inuyasha shouted.

"The demons have revolted against the humans led by a powerful demon from the west," Miroku explained. "They are heading this way and we don't know when they will get here nor when they plan to strike." Their attention was distracted when a lot of mumbling started going on in the crowd.

"It's her…" someone said.

"No, it can't be," another said.

"But it has to be," someone else said.

Finally, someone stepped forward and said, "Are you Miss Higurashi? Kagome Higurashi?" Inuyasha and Kagome exchanged confused glances.

"Y-Yes," Kagome replied. At that very moment, everyone gasped.

"It's an honor," the man said taking her head. He leaned down and gently kissed her hand. Inuyasha flamed red.

"Take your hands off her!" he said grabbing the man's hand and flinging it back to him. Sango and Miroku smiled. Kagome blushed.

"And just who do you think you are…you hanyou!" the man retorted. Inuyasha swung his claw as the man ducked and jumped back.

"Hey!" Kagome said stepping forward. "That's not very nice to say to someone you don't even know!" The man looked ashamed.

"Oh, I am so sorry Miss Higurashi!" he said bowing his head a couple of times and backing away. Inuyasha glared at the man.

"Okay so just why does everyone obey you?" Inuyasha asked Kagome.

"You got me!" she replied. Sango and Miroku pulled Inuyasha and Kagome into a huddle.

"Kagome, they know how powerfully pure you are," Sango whispered. "You are known throughout the country for your powers. They can tell that they have been revealed. They're just excited that you will be on their side."

"Wait a minute!" Kagome said. "Their side?"

"A huge battle is about to take place. We need you Kagome," Miroku said. "Inuyasha, we need you too. We cannot win this battle without either of you."

"I don't recall volunteering!" Inuyasha retorted. Miroku frowned.

"If you don't humanity is gone. The humans will be controlled by the demons. Even Kagome will either become a slave or be killed if you don't help," Miroku said sternly. Inuyasha's ears twitched. He wouldn't allow anything to happen to Kagome and they all knew that.

"Fine!" Inuyasha stated. "But what about Kagome? She just found out about her powers and you're going to send her into battle?" Inuyasha looked at Kagome.

"She will be fine," Sango said. "Trust us! Plus, that's where you come in! We need you to protect her."

"But I don't even know how to use my powers!" Kagome said scared. "I will die if I fight!" Inuyasha frowned and his entire body tightened at the thought.

"You won't! I promise!" Sango said taking her friends hand. "Trust us, Kagome!" Kagome thought for a minute and then nodded her head.

"Besides," Miroku began. "Inuyasha won't allow anything to happen to you. Right, Inuyasha?" Miroku looked at Inuyasha. Inuyasha nodded his head. Kagome recalled how Inuyasha had risked his life to save hers before. She didn't want him to have to do that again. She didn't want him to die. She had no choice but to fight and she couldn't do it without Inuyasha. An incredible sadness overwhelmed her body. Everyone noticed Kagome's strange expression.

"Kagome?" Inuyasha asked puzzled by this weird expression.

She shook her head. "It's nothing. Inuyasha you had better change and just get into your normal form. They already know your secret anyway." Inuyasha growled but knew she was right. There was no sense in hiding his appearance any more. He grabbed his backpack and walked inside Sango's house.

"Kagome, are you sure you're okay?" Sango asked her friend. Kagome shook her head.

"I just don't want Inuyasha to die. There are going to be a lot of demons after me and he can't take them all!" she said worriedly. "I'm worried about him. I don't know what I would do if I lost him…especially if it was because of me." Sango and Miroku smiled.

"Kagome," Sango began. "Inuyasha will be fine. Try to trust everything we are telling you." Kagome looked at her suspiciously. `They know something,' she thought.

"Do ya'll know something?" she asked them. They were caught by surprise.

"N-No!" Miroku stuttered. Kagome knew they did. They just weren't telling her.

Inuyasha appeared on the front porch. His hair was silver, his ears were showing, and he was dressed in his red, fire rat kimono. Everyone stopped to look at Inuyasha. They all just stared. Inuyasha gave them a questioning look. `What are they staring at?!' he thought. Kagome noticed his frustration.

"What's this all about?" Kagome asked Sango and Miroku.

"Well…" they began. But before they could finish all of the priests/priestesses and exterminators knelt before Inuyasha.

"HUH???" Inuyasha said out loud. He looked at Kagome as if to say `what is going on?' Sango and Miroku knew they again had some explaining to do.

"It's Inuyasha!" someone said in the crowd. The man who had walked up to Kagome earlier now walked up to Inuyasha again.

"Forgive me, sir, for my rudeness earlier," he said shakily. "I had no idea who you were." He bowed his head and backed away.

"He also is well known throughout the country for rescuing humans from demons. He is very well respected in the priest/exterminator community. To them, he is one step below a god," Miroku explained. Kagome gasped. She had no idea Inuyasha had rescued so many people. She looked at him lovingly and as if she was so proud of him. Inuyasha's perceptive set of ears heard everything Miroku had said. He was shocked. He had no idea people knew who he was and that they actually liked him and appreciated him. He stood there on the porch frozen. He looked at the little man who had just apologized to him. He was shaking with fear. It was apparent that he and the others thought Inuyasha was about to pummel him.

"Don't worry about it," he said and casually walked passed him towards Kagome. Kagome and Inuyasha stared at each other for a minute. She smiled.

"Just how many have you saved, Inuyasha?" she said softly. She remembered Hiten saying something about him rescuing humans, but she had no idea how long he had been doing it and just how many lives he had saved.

"I…" he began slightly blushing, but Miroku interrupted him.

"Thousands, Kagome," Miroku said. Kagome gasped. She looked at Inuyasha. He had a guilty look on his face. He felt he had been hiding something from her.

"I knew you went out at night in your demon form, but I thought it was more of an opportunity to just relax and get out. I had no idea that you actually went out for the sole purpose of rescuing humans," she said looking at him. He looked away from her.

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it," he said looking to the sky. He looked at her out of the corner of his eye and saw her still staring at him.

"What are you staring at?!" he snapped. Kagome jumped back. She frowned.

"Why do you always have to snap at me!" she said half-angry half hurt. "CAN'T SOMEONE JUST BE PROUD OF YOU!" His expression calmed. `She's proud of me?' he thought. She turned away to talk to Sango and Miroku. He just stared at her. `Kagome, you never cease to amaze me.' Sango and Miroku started walking back towards the other priest/priestesses and exterminators. Kagome was just about to follow them when Inuyasha grabbed her by her arm.

"Inuyasha?" she said looking up at him. He looked back at her softly. Kagome had never had Inuyasha look at her like that before.

"I'm sorry, Kagome," he said softly. "I didn't mean to snap at you. This whole situation is just kind of weird." Kagome smiled.

"I know what you mean," she said. "First, I find out that I am a powerful priestess who is respected and feared throughout the country. Then I find out the same thing about you, only you're one step below a god." Inuyasha laughed lightly. Inuyasha still had a hold on Kagome's arm except it had become softer and more of a place for him to rest his hand. Neither of them seemed to mind either. Kagome's faced turned solemn.

"Kagome?" Inuyasha asked.

"I'm scared, Inuyasha," she said to him. She looked up at him with emotional eyes. "I don't want to let humanity down, and I know that I have to fight, but…but…I'm afraid that I will never see Mom, Sota, Grandpa, or my friends again." She thought for a minute. "If that's the way it has to be then that's the way it has to be." She has a determined look on her face. "If I have to die in doing this then so be it!" Inuyasha tightened his grip on her arm and gave her a stern look.

"You are not going to die!" he said sternly looking her straight in the eye. "I am not going to let that happen, okay?" She looked at him.

"But you could also die trying to protect me," she said worriedly.

"There is that possibility," he said. "But if you were to die, I wouldn't have much left to live for anyway." Inuyasha immediately blushed realizing he had said too much. Kagome blushed, too. `He does care for me,' she thought. She wrapped him into a soft hug. He hugged her back without giving it a second thought.

"I can't let you die either, Inuyasha," she said softly. "I need you." Inuyasha's heart began to pound in his chest. He was sure Kagome was going to be able to hear his heart beating. He scratched her head softly with his claw and rested his cheek on her head.

She looked up at him. They gazed into each other's eyes. `Why do I feel this way for him?' Kagome asked herself. At that very same moment, Inuyasha was asking the same question. `Why do I feel this way about her?' he thought. `Okay! I admit it! I can't live without you, Kagome! I need you! I want to be with you! But…but…she may care about me as a close friend, but nothing more. Don't do this to yourself! You have a battle to fight, but more importantly, you have someone very special you need to protect.'

"Nothing's going to happen to us, Kagome," he whispered in her ear. "I'm not going to let it."