InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The New Student and Kagome's Secret ❯ Chapter 49: Miroku's Advice and Kagome's Request ( Chapter 50 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Yay! Okay now I need some serious props for this chapter! Not only did I make it incredibly long, but I also gave all of you Inu/Kag fluff lovers an extra bonus at the end of the chapter. Happy Reading and I LOVE MY REVIEWERS! YOU GUYS ROCK!

Chapter 49

Inuyasha walked to the edge of the balcony and stared off into the distance. He folded his arms into his haori and sighed. The lights of the city in the distance lit up the night sky, and Inuyasha couldn't help but think about the decision before him. There it stood, Inuyasha's old city. It could be his again if he wanted it to be. He could take over where his father left off and try to make a mends for all the things Sesshomaru did to his father's people; or he could appoint someone else. But whom would he appoint? He had no idea. The thought of someone he barely knew taking over the castle plagued him. He didn't want some perfect stranger waltzing in and taking over what was rightfully his father's. No matter what happened, he felt responsible. If he took over and things didn't work out, he would feel responsible and worthless. On the same note, however, if he appointed someone else to rule and they screwed things up, then he would feel just as terrible. Either way, Inuyasha knew this was not a decision to be made over night. Some serious thought was going to have to be put into it.

"Uh…Inuyasha?" Miroku said breaking through Inuyasha's thoughts.

Inuyasha shook his head as if clearing the thoughts from his mind and looked up to find Miroku standing next to him with a cup of tea in his hand. He was staring at Inuyasha curiously.

"What?" Inuyasha asked quizzically.

"You were growling," Miroku replied. "Is something troubling you?"

"Feh!" Inuyasha retorted and looked the other way.

"Okay, well you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," Miroku said calmly, taking a sip of his tea.

Inuyasha continued to look in the other direction as Miroku awaited Inuyasha's reaction, seeing if Inuyasha was going to have the guts to open up to him or not. Technically, Inuyasha had never really opened up to him before. He had briefly discussed things with Miroku, but Inuyasha had never really asked him for advice so it surprised Miroku when Inuyasha actually began to speak.

"It's all so confusing," Inuyasha said. Miroku looked at Inuyasha with a surprised expression, eagerly waiting for Inuyasha to continue. "No matter what I do…no matter what I decide…it could all so easily blow up in my face. I want to make the right decision…for Father's sake if for no one else's." Inuyasha sighed.

"Who said there even is a `right' decision?" Miroku said taking another sip of his tea. Inuyasha looked at Miroku as if had no clue as to what he was talking about.

"Huh?" Inuyasha said raising an eyebrow.

"For there to be a `right' decision, there must also be a `wrong' decision. I can see no wrong decision. I can only see what decisions may or may not bring happiness," Miroku said.

"Okay," Inuyasha said slowly. "So what the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you should follow your heart," Miroku said taking a step closer to the balcony's edge and staring off into the distance. "All of this could be yours if you want it to be, but if that is not what you feel is in your destiny then you should leave it to someone else. You are neither right nor wrong in doing so. You are simply fulfilling what you feel is in your best interest."

"I…guess so," Inuyasha said resting his hands on the balcony banister. "I really would love to follow my heart and do what is in my best interest, but as of right now I don't know what that is. That is why I continue to be troubled by all of this. I want to do what is best for my father's people. I want to appoint them a ruler they deserve…someone who is like my father…someone who will lead them to success and happiness."

Inuyasha quit speaking as soon as he noticed Miroku smiling. He eyed Miroku warily as Miroku continued to smile.

"Something amusing?" Inuyasha retorted.

"No," Miroku said continuing to smile as he took another sip of his tea. "I finally discovered what's wrong with you."

"Oh really," Inuyasha said turning to face Miroku, folding his arms in his haori. "Enlighten me."

"You're scared," Miroku said calmly.

Inuyasha immediately became defensive and rage seemed to consume him. He raced towards the monk and stopped mere inches from Miroku's face.

"Are you out of your mind?!" Inuyasha yelled getting in Miroku's face. "I ain't scared of nothing! You got that monk?"

Miroku remained calm, but didn't move. It was almost as if Inuyasha had never gotten in his face. Miroku cleared his throat and continued.

"You are scared," Miroku said calmly. "You are afraid of bringing shame to your father's name. You already know that you are the rightful ruler of these lands, but you are afraid to take over. You are afraid you are going to fail as a ruler and go through everything you went through in your childhood again, thus, bringing shame to your father's name. You want your people to have a great ruler and you are afraid that you may not be able to live up to what they deserve."

"How dare you act like you know me!" Inuyasha growled furiously, grabbing the hilt of his sword with his right hand as if he was ready to draw tetsusaiga and attack. "You don't know anything about me!"

Miroku looked up from his cup of tea and for the first time since they had began their conversation, anger filled his eyes. He set his cup of tea on the ledge and stared Inuyasha directly in the face. Inuyasha relaxed a little and blinked a couple of times, a little surprised by Miroku's actions. Miroku had never really stood up to him like this before. He knew Miroku must have something serious to say to be acting like this.

"I don't know anything about you?" Miroku said, glaring at his friend. "Do you forget who I am, Inuyasha? Sure, I am a man of the cloak, knowing all about the prophecy and that sort of thing, but more importantly Inuyasha…I am your friend. I know your childhood was a living hell. I know you were born a hanyou. I know you were the one saving all of those people at night. I know why you were so closed to everyone and trusted no one. And, now, I know why you are acting like this. Inuyasha, I am your friend. I know you better than anyone else, with maybe the exception of Kagome. We became friends, and through our friendship I have been able to learn and accept everything about you. Believe it or not, I know what you are thinking and how frustrating all of this must be for you. I would not trade places with you, but you have to know that all of us, Sango, Shippo, me, Myouga, Kagome, and even the servants, will support you in whatever decision you make."

Inuyasha relaxed and turned away from Miroku. Miroku had hit the nail on the head with that one…and Inuyasha knew it. He was frightened. He didn't want to screw up everything and wished more than anything that the decision hadn't been placed on him. He walked over to the balcony and rested his hands on the railing, hanging his head so his bangs covered his eyes.

"So, I'm scared," Inuyasha said. "You can't say you wouldn't be scared given my situation."

"Of course I would be scared," Miroku said. "I would be terrified. You are already holding up a lot better than I would, but that's what makes you a great leader. You have dealt with stress and difficult decisions before. You know what that is like. You know how to be a leader for everyone. I have watched you along our journey and I believe that you can do this. You have touched lives along the way and you will continue to do so. We all believe in you. Now, you just have to believe in yourself."

"But should I take over the Western Lands…what becomes of you and Sango and Kagome and the others?" Inuyasha asked.

"Well," Miroku said thoughtfully. "I suppose that is yet to be decided. I am sure Sango and I will head back east. Shippo would die before parting with Kagome so I am sure he will go wherever she decides to go. I am sure Myouga and the servants will stay here and serve you."

`Wherever Kagome goes?' Inuyasha thought. `That's right. She would have no choice but to go back east. She has school and her friends. It would be selfish of me to ask her to stay. Would I ever see her again?'

"Knowing that only makes the decision that much more difficult," Inuyasha said with a sigh. "Miroku…you guys are the only friends I have. I don't…I don't want you guys to leave. Ya'll are really the only reason I have made it as far as I have."

Miroku blinked a couple of times in disbelief. He couldn't believe Inuyasha was being so open with him. He may have half expected it with Kagome, but not with him. Miroku decided to accept it with open arms rather than act uneasy. Inuyasha finally opening up was a good thing, and he wasn't about to ruin it. He smiled and reacted quickly.

"We don't want you to go away either, Inuyasha," Miroku said. "We'll still be there for you. We'll keep in touch and come visit every now and again. Everything will be fine, you'll see."

"I just don't know," Inuyasha said as his ears drooped slightly. "I enjoyed my freedom. I had no responsibility except for the responsibilities I chose to take on. Heck, I didn't even have to pay taxes. I did what I wanted and lived where I chose. I slept when I felt like it and helped people when I felt like it. One day, I felt like attending high school, so I did it. I won't have that kind of freedom as a Lord. I will have responsibilities that will leave me no choice but to attend to them. I am just afraid I will not have time for you guys after that. I remember how difficult it was for my father to make time for me. He was always visiting other lands or in meetings or leaving to aid a neighbor in battle or something of that nature."

"Well, that's a decision you have to make for yourself," Miroku said. "If you feel you will be unhappy as a Lord, then don't accept the responsibility and leave it to someone else."

"I am not saying I will be unhappy," Inuyasha said. "The truth is that I really don't know. I don't know if I will be happy as a Lord. I don't even know if I will be happy as a wanderer."

"Is there anything you do know makes you happy?" Miroku asked. Inuyasha thought for a minute then smiled to himself.

"Yeah," he said looking off into the distance. "You guys…my friends…I am happiest when I am with ya'll."

Miroku was truly touched. He smiled. He knew Inuyasha was mostly referring to Kagome, but he also knew that he and Sango and the others also played a part in that statement. Inuyasha was finally opening up, and Miroku was almost in a state of shock from it. He maintained his disposition, however, because he knew that if Inuyasha picked up on what he was doing then he was immediately revert back to his stubborn, prideful self. Miroku patted Inuyasha on the back.

"Well, you don't have to make a decision about it tonight," Miroku said. "Sleep on it. Make a decision in the morning. We've had a long trip and I imagine that even you are weary from our travels. We've had a very fruitful conversation tonight that should help you in the progression towards your decision. I believe your answer will come easier in the morning. Just rest your head. Decisions come faster when the mind isn't clouded."

Miroku then turned to walk towards the doors that led back into the bedroom. Inuyasha watched as Miroku disappeared behind the curtains. He sighed and looked out over the city once more.

`For once, I think the old lecher has a point,' Inuyasha thought. `This is going to be the toughest decision I have ever had to make. I may end up choosing between my friends and what is best for my father's people. I don't want to lose any of them…especially Kagome. I don't know what I would do without her in my life. I didn't trust anyone before her. She opened me up to a world I would have otherwise been oblivious too. Hmm…Myouga may actually prove useful in this situation. I'll talk to him about it first thing in the morning. Maybe I should get some rest and worry about all of this in the morning. It is getting rather late and we have traveled a long distance. Even I could use the sleep.'

Inuyasha's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a slap coming from inside the bedroom.

*SLAP*

"PERVERT!" he heard Sango shout.

"It's my hands!" Miroku pleaded. "They have a will of their own! They are uncontrollable I tell you!"

"Control this!!!" Sango shouted.

*WHAM* *WHAM* *BAM* *CRASH*

Inuyasha sweatdropped as his head sunk with half open eyes. He knew he had better get in there and save the monk's ass before he got himself into more trouble and Sango tore the castle apart. He sighed and turned to walk back into the bedroom.

***

"Hold still!" Sango said lifting her boomerang over her head and chasing Miroku around the room.

"Sango, please!" Miroku pleaded as he dodged attacks from Sango. "Don't you think you are being a little rash?"

"Please, nothing!" Sango shouted. "You went too far this time monk! Trying to massage Kagome's legs and then trying to feel on my boobs!"

Sango swung and missed Miroku but instead hit a pillow that went flying towards a priceless vase. Sango gasped and Miroku just stared as the pillow soared for the vase. The pillow struck the vase sending it plummeting towards the floor when, unexpectedly, Inuyasha appeared in a flash and caught the vase. He growled angrily at Sango and Miroku who just smiled sheepishly.

"Can you children behave yourselves for even a second?!" Inuyasha growled. "Sheesh!"

"I'm sorry, Inuyasha. I shouldn't have been so careless," Sango said as her sincere smile turned to an evil grin. "But poor injured Kagome was being molested by this pervert!"

Inuyasha's left ear twitched. He turned towards Miroku growling. Miroku put up his hands in protest and started backing away.

"It's a lie!" Miroku said. "My intentions were true with Kagome. She complained that her leg still hurt so I decided to rub her legs for her."

"What?!" Kagome shouted. "First, I said nothing of the sort, and second, I think it's my ankle that is hurt, not my upper thigh!"

Inuyasha's growl got deeper and deeper as he slowly walked towards Miroku. Miroku put his hand behind his head as he sweatdropped.

"Come on, Inuyasha," Miroku said. "I would know better than to feel up Kagome!"

"Hmph!" Sango said folding her arms and looking away.

Miroku was backed into a corner as Inuyasha finally reached him. He grabbed Miroku's cloak right under his neck, then raised him about a foot off of the ground, drawing back his other hand into a fist.

"Do you not have any respect for women?" Inuyasha asked.

"Yes, I do! It's these hands! I swear! They have a mind of their own!" Miroku pleaded.

"Hmph! Really? Your hands, huh?" Inuyasha said. Inuyasha brought his fist down upon both of Miroku's hands making them pulse in pain.

"OW!" Miroku yelled. "Why did you do that?"

"If they have a mind of their own then they need to be punished on their own! And here's another one to remind you to never touch Kagome again!" Inuyasha shouted as his fist sailed for Miroku's head.

"Inuyasha, SIT BOY!" Kagome shouted.

*WHAM*

Inuyasha groaned into the floor. He was sprawled out on the floor and wasn't moving.

"I suggest you take this time to flee!" Kagome warned Miroku.

Sango and Miroku nodded.

"It is getting late," Sango said. "We really should be getting to bed."

"Yes, we should," Miroku said wrapping his arm around Sango and giving Kagome a sinister smile.

Sango merely brought her fist back, hitting Miroku in the head.

"Some people never learn!" Sango said looking at Miroku who was now on the floor.

"Get out of here, Miroku," Kagome said with a laugh. "If Inuyasha gets up before you leave this time, I am going to let him have you. You obviously haven't learned your lesson."

Inuyasha's ears perked up as he began lifting himself from the floor. Miroku was immediately to his feet and, grabbing Sango's hand, darted towards the door.

"Bye, Kagome," Miroku said quickly. "It's good to know you are well."

"Bye, Kagome," Sango shouted. "We'll talk more tomorrow."

"Goodnight," Kagome said, waving bye to both of them.

Inuyasha was on his feet and glared at Miroku and Sango who now stood in the doorway. He dashed towards them, but Miroku was quick and shut the door just as Inuyasha arrived, causing Inuyasha to faceplant against the door.

"See you tomorrow, Inuyasha!" Miroku shouted on the other side of the door as his voice trailed off.

On the other side of the door, Inuyasha groaned and fell backwards to the ground on his back. Inuyasha jumped up as soon as he gained his composure and flung the door open, looking this way and that for the monk, but to no avail. Inuyasha slammed the door shut and turned towards Kagome with a glare.

"You have a really bad habit of doing that, you know," Inuyasha growled.

"You had already hurt his hands. They're probably both broken with the way you hit them. That was enough," Kagome said straightening the sheets around her.

"He had felt you up! You expect me to go easy on him?" Inuyasha shouted with a growl.

"Sango made it sound a lot worse than it actually was," Kagome said rolling her eyes. "She was just tired of Miroku not having any respect for her and was enjoying the idea of you pummeling him a little too much."

Inuyasha grumbled, folded his arms into his haori, and turned his nose up to her. Kagome giggled a little then decided to settle herself into bed. She was exhausted and the pain medication she had taken earlier while in the room with Sango was starting to take affect. She nestled herself into the luxurious bedding and smiled contently. Inuyasha's ears twitched in her direction as he heard her settle herself into bed. He opened his eyes to see Kagome's figure lying peacefully in his parents' bed. He then realized that she had changed into a pair of pink, silk pajamas. He shuddered to think what she looked like beneath those covers. His arms relaxed at his side as he began walking towards the bed. He stood next to her, just staring at her. He then squatted beside the bed and placed his head on his heads as he continued to stare at her resting figure. Kagome soon sensed someone's presence, and peeked through one eye. When she saw Inuyasha's face so close to hers, she nearly jumped out of her skin.

"Inuyasha?" she asked softly. "What are you doing?"

Inuyasha didn't say anything and just shrugged his shoulders as he continued to look at her. Kagome blushed, but then smiled. He had watched her sleep before, but never at such a close distance. It made her kind of uncomfortable for him to be staring at her like that. She sighed and turned to lie on her back. She then glanced out the window at the moon overhead.

"Do you think Sesshoumaru is still alive out there?" Kagome asked Inuyasha.

Inuyasha's ears perked up in surprise. He wasn't expecting the question. He then followed her gaze towards the still open balcony doors. He sensed her fear and stood up. He walked over to the balcony doors and reached for their handles. He shut the doors and locked both locks. He then closed the curtains and turned around to face her.

"If he is, he won't be getting anywhere near you," he said sternly.

Kagome smiled, and Inuyasha sensed her fear subside. She felt safe around Inuyasha. She knew he would never allow anything to happen to her. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. She yawned and stretched. Inuyasha walked back over to the other side of the bed and resumed his squatting position. Kagome faced him as he ran his claws fingers through her hair gently.

"Get some sleep," he said softly. "I'll watch over you tonight."

Kagome blushed but stared at him lovingly. Inuyasha then sat down in his usual Indian-style position with his arm folded in his haori. He looked at her as if he was waiting for her to close her eyes to go to sleep. Kagome decided to oblige him. She shut her eyes for a few minutes, then peeked them open to look at Inuyasha. His eyes were closed and she knew he was probably going to fall asleep sitting up again. She sighed.

"Um…Inuyasha?" she said softly.

"Yeah," he replied without opening his eyes.

"Why don't you come over here?" she said patting the covers on the other side of her.

Inuyasha's eyes flew open and he blushed slightly. He stared up at Kagome who too held a slight blush on her face. He didn't know what to do. Was Kagome really asking him to sleep with her? He couldn't deny that the bed would be far more comfortable than the floor, but he also wanted to respect her. He then sensed her fear again. She was afraid, but of what?

"Wh-Why?" Inuyasha stuttered, causing him to blush more heavily.

"Well…uh…because you deserve to sleep in a nice bed," Kagome said blushing heavily. "Besides, it's your parents' bed, you should be able to sleep in it. If anything I need to be on the floor."

Inuyasha eyed her skeptically. His mind ran back over the things he had done that day, making sure that this wasn't some kind of a trap so she could "sit" him into oblivion. Kagome looked at him innocently. He sighed and stood up.

"Are…are you sure you're okay with this?" Inuyasha asked. "I'm fine on the floor if you're not."

"Of course I'm sure," Kagome said patting next to her again. "If you were Miroku it would be a little different, but you're not, so I think I can trust you to keep your hands to yourself. Besides, I want you to have a nice place to sleep tonight. Now, no more questions. Come to bed."

Inuyasha gulped and began walking around to the other side of the bed. The walk seemed to take forever. His mind raced. `Why am I acting like this is such a big deal?' he thought. `It's not like I am having sex with the girl. I'm just sleeping next to her. I don't even have to touch her if I don't want to.' He then looked at Kagome's smiling face and realized that he did want to touch her. He wanted to hold her all night long. He took a deep breath as stood on the other side of the bed. He lifted the covers and slid into bed.

"There," Kagome said, helping to cover him up. "Now isn't this much nicer?"

Inuyasha inhaled her scent as she reached across him, tucking him into bed. He stared at her beautiful face, mere inches from his as she worked to cover him up.

"Yes," he said somewhat seductively. "Much nicer."

Kagome stopped what she was doing to look up at him. Her arm was still unconsciously stretched out across his body as she stared into his amber depths. She was way too attracted to him. His tan skin, silver hair, and sparkling gold eyes made her quiver in her skin. Inuyasha was having the exact same reaction. He had never seen more of beauty. Her raven hair fell softly around her shoulders as her chocolate eyes beckoned him near her rosy lips. They laid there entranced with one another when, as if someone had flipped a switch, they both realized what they were doing and snapped out of it, blushing furiously. Kagome rolled over so that her back faced him and she was on the other side of the bed. Inuyasha hadn't moved. He just laid their trying to catch his breath and berating himself for being so stupid to get caught up in a moment like that.

"Um…goodnight, Inuyasha," Kagome said.

"Goodnight," Inuyasha said.

Kagome soon felt the bed bounce as Inuyasha adjusted himself and got comfortable. Finally, the movement ceased and she thought she would finally be able to get some sleep when she felt him move again. He rolled over on his side so that he faced her and propped his head up with his left hand.

"Kagome?" Inuyasha said.

"Yeah," Kagome muttered.

"How's your ankle?" he said somewhat sadly.

Kagome's heart dropped. She knew that it was still bothering him. She hated to hear the sadness in his voice. She rolled over to face him.

"Inuyasha, I already told you that it's…" she began but trailed when she noticed that Inuyasha had completely relieved himself of his shirt. Her breath caught in her throat as she stared at his muscular bicep and forearm holding up his head. His golden eyes and white teeth and fangs glowed in the darkness as she allowed her eyes to trail to his chiseled chest and abs that disappeared beneath the covers. She swallowed hard.

"Kagome?" he said reaching out to her with his right hand, thinking something was seriously wrong with her. "You okay?"

"Yeah," she said, snapping herself out of it. "I was just going to tell you that I'm fine, Inuyasha. Don't worry about my ankle. It will be just fine."

"Good," Inuyasha said with a smile as he allowed his head to fall to the pillow. "Now get some sleep."

Kagome nodded and allowed herself to lie down still facing him. Inuyasha closed his eyes. Kagome continued to stare at him. `Wow,' she thought. `I always knew Inuyasha was good-looking but wow! He is absolutely gorgeous!' Kagome tried to divert her attention away from Inuyasha. She looked towards the balcony doors again when she saw a shadow pass by the balcony window.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome gasped in a whisper as she sat straight up in bed. He opened his eyes and sat up with her.

"Kagome!" he said as flipped onto his knees and reached out for her arms to see if she was okay. "What is it?"

"Something…," she said quietly. "Something's outside. Something just went by the window."

Inuyasha whirled around and faced the window growling angrily as he pushed Kagome behind him. He then stood up and grabbed tetsusaiga that he had laid at the head of the bed. He crept towards the balcony doors readying his right hand on the hilt of his sword. He drew tetsusaiga and tossed the scabbard aside. He took a couple of quick steps and had his back towards the left door of the balcony. Taking the tip of his sword he moved the curtains so he could peek outside. He couldn't see anything in that direction. So he moved to the right and did the same thing. Still, he saw nothing with his keen night vision. He then stood back and stared at the balcony doors.

"Kagome, get down," Inuyasha ordered.

Kagome did as she was instructed and allowed herself to fall off the other side of the bed as she winced in pain from her ankle. Inuyasha glanced back at her. He had forgotten about her ankle. He growled and reached for the curtains and flung them open. He stared over the balcony and saw nothing. He glanced back at Kagome who peeked over the other side of the bed.

"Stay down!" he ordered and she immediately ducked her head. "If you hear anything, either hide or run and get Miroku and the others."

"Inuyasha," he heard her call out.

He reached for the balcony doors and flung them open. He walked out into the cool night air and glanced around. He sniffed the air. He couldn't smell anything except nearby crows. He turned around to walk back into the bedroom. Kagome peeked up over the bed at him as he returned.

"There's nothing out there," Inuyasha said. "You probably just saw a bird fly by."

"It was too big to be a bird," Kagome said then her eyes filled with horror as a shadow loomed behind Inuyasha. "Inuyasha look out!"

Inuyasha whirled around, jumped into the air, and sliced through an enormous crow. It had three, red eyes on its head and was the size of an automobile. It immediately disseminated in the air. Kagome was shaking on the other side of the bed, but Inuyasha just turned around and walked calmly back into the bedroom as if he had just gone out for fresh air.

"Was that what you saw?" Inuyasha asked Kagome who still sat on the other side of the bed.

"Yeah," she said, nodding her head. "That was a bit more like it."

Inuyasha locked the doors and closed the curtains behind him. He then turned to look at Kagome and frowned as he stared down at the glowing orb around her neck. He walked into the bathroom and washed the blood off of his hands. When he returned Kagome was still on the floor on the other side of the bed. He walked around to where she was and squatted next to her.

"The jewel is corrupting all of the demons that survived your purification," Inuyasha said lifting Kagome and placing her into bed. "That demon wouldn't have made it through the barrier outside, but I took care of him anyway. We had better be more careful."

"What about you?" Kagome asked as she watched Inuyasha walk around the bed. "Do you not desire this jewel as well?"

Inuyasha stopped on the other side of the bed. He looked at Kagome as if trying to figure out where she was going with this. He sighed and folded his arms.

"I cannot say the idea of what the jewel can do for me does not appeal to me," Inuyasha said. "I could become a full fledge demon and rid myself of this wretched hanyou body."

Kagome frowned as she watched Inuyasha look at himself as if he were something disgusting. She knew that being a hanyou had always been hard on him. She stared at the jewel that hung around her neck.

"You could easily take it from me," Kagome said suddenly. "Why haven't you?"

Inuyasha was shocked by her statement.

"I protect you," Inuyasha said looking away. "I also protect anything involving you. You guard the jewel of four souls. To take it would mean I would have to challenge you. I could never do such a thing."

Kagome smiled and patted the bed next to her. Inuyasha blushed, but crawled back into bed. Kagome rolled onto her side so she was facing Inuyasha. Inuyasha looked at her with his head propped up with his left hand again.

"If it wasn't me…would you take the jewel and turn yourself into a demon?" Kagome asked Inuyasha.

"Why do you want to know so bad?" Inuyasha asked quizzically.

"I was just wondering," Kagome said. Inuyasha eyed her skeptically.

"I don't know," Inuyasha replied. "The point is that you are the one who possesses it and I am not going to take it from you so why worry about it?"

Kagome nodded and nuzzled the side of her head into her pillow. Inuyasha smiled to himself as he stared at her. He tried to close his eyes to go to sleep, but Kagome interrupted his thoughts again.

"Inuyasha?" Kagome said.

"Yes?" Inuyasha replied trying to maintain his patience with her questions.

"Don't ever think you are worthless," Kagome said. "I think you are incredible the way you are. I've told you before that I think it's awesome that you're a hanyou. Don't ever think otherwise about yourself…at least not in front of me."

Inuyasha stared at her. He blinked a couple of times in disbelief. Kagome amazed him. She never thought twice about him being a hanyou. He had to admit that if Kagome didn't hold the jewel he probably would have tried to snatch it a long time ago. She made him see otherwise. He sighed and rested his head on his pillow. He then sensed something…fear. He looked at Kagome. She was frightened. `Maybe the crow frightened her,' he thought. He reached out to her and rested a hand on her shoulder. Her eyes flew open and met his.

"Are you okay?" he asked. "Why are you frightened?"

"There are a lot of things I am frightened of," she said with a smile. "I am afraid Sesshoumaru is still alive. I am afraid of what may happen to the world if he is still alive. But mostly, I am afraid of losing you." Inuyasha's eyes grew wide. "Whether it be in battle, or something as simple as you taking over as Lord of the Western Lands and me never seeing you again."

"Kagome," Inuyasha said. He reached out for her and scooted closer to her. Before he knew what he was doing, he pulled her into a deep embrace. He wrapped his left arm around the back of her head so her head was resting on his shoulder, and he wrapped his right arm around her waist. Kagome blushed furiously, but melted into his embrace. She didn't know what to do with her hands so she held them to her chest.

"I'm never going to allow anything to happen to you…ever…and…you'll never lose me. I won't allow it," Inuyasha said softly. "I'll always be here for you. I'll always protect you. I'll always look after you. You have to understand Kagome. I'm afraid too."

Kagome's eyes flew open in shock. Inuyasha…afraid? Inuyasha had shocked her with some things he said in the past, but this was something she never expected hear from him.

"What could you possibly be afraid of?" Kagome asked him in disbelief. "You always go into battle without a second thought. I didn't think you had a fearful bone in your body." Inuyasha smiled sweetly as he rested his chin atop her head.

"I haven't always been afraid," Inuyasha said. "But that was before I met you." Kagome's heart skipped a beat. "I'm afraid of losing you. That's why I can't allow myself to be killed. Who would look after you then? I told you a long time ago that I would always protect you…and I meant that. I don't want to lose you should I become Lord either. I don't want to lose any of you guys. You mean too much to me. It wouldn't be worth it for me to be Lord if I could never see you guys again."

Tears filled Kagome's eyes. She was so touched. Inuyasha had never expressed himself to her like that before. Joy consumed her heart. Inuyasha smelled the salt from her tears and looked down at her. She looked up at him with tears filling at the edge of her eyes daring to fall. A single tear fell down her cheek as she looked up at him.

"Kagome," Inuyasha mused as he allowed his claws to scratch her head and back. "Don't cry. Please. You know I can't stand to see you cry."

"I'm not crying," she said shaking her head and burying her head in his chest.

He smiled. He felt her wet tears on his chest. He took his right hand from her waist and gently grasped under chin, lifting her face to meet his. She stared into his amber depths as tears welled up again, threatening to fall. He smiled sweetly and gently leaned towards her allowing their foreheads to touch. Kagome closed her eyes. Inuyasha then leaned away slightly so he could take his hand and wipe away the tears from each eye. She looked up at him in disbelief.

"Everything is going to be okay," Inuyasha said softly. "No more tears, now, okay?"

Kagome nodded, but then did something she hadn't expected herself to do. She took her left arm and reached behind him pulling him close to her so she could bury her head in his chest, slightly startling Inuyasha. Their bodies were flush against one another. He returned the embrace.

"Inuyasha," Kagome said so softly that he could hardly hear her. "Please…don't let go of me tonight."

Inuyasha's heart skipped a beat. She actually wanted him to touch her? She wanted him to hold her…all night long. His heart began beating incredibly fast as he debated what to do. He has surprised himself by what he had just done with Kagome, and the idea of not letting go of the gorgeous creature next to him enticed him. Kagome held her breath as she awaited Inuyasha's response. She hadn't meant to say what she did. It had just come out.

"Okay," Inuyasha said giving her a slight squeeze. "I won't let go of you."

Kagome let out a breath. Inuyasha returned his right arm to curl around her waist pulling their entire bodies flush against each other. They could feel every curve of each other's bodies. Kagome softly scratched Inuyasha's back with her left hand. Inuyasha ran the fingers of his left hand gently through Kagome's hair as his chin rested atop her head. The two soon began to fall asleep in each other's arms, and, though neither of them would ever admit, fall deeply in love with one another.

A/N: Everybody…1, 2, 3…awww! Okay, well the next chapter may not be for another week because Homecoming is this week AND I have tests! Please review though. I want to know if you guys think Inuyasha should or should not be Lord of the Western Lands. What should he do?