InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Pain of Losing Another ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-
Chapter Two

Kagome grasped her Hoshimaru to her body closely. The boy was nervous, yet excited. He had never before gone beyond the forest surrounding the cabin. Now he sat in the rear seat of a taxi in his mother’s lap. Shippou sat beside her, happily jabbering on about the new buildings which had been constructed during her absence.

Kagome smiled weakly. She tried to focus on the redhead’s words, but her mind kept wandering, sending her on the verge of panic with worry. Kagome was still very unsure of herself. She worried over whether or not her family would still want to see her. In her eyes, she was naught but an utter failure, a being of absolutely no value to anyone.

She hugged Hoshimaru to her, giving him a reassuring squeeze once in a while. Her son smiled back warmly. She sat, staring out the window, trying to calm her wildly beating heart. She was going to the shrine. She was going to visit her family. Did they still want to see her?

She wasn’t very sure they would…

-:- -:- -:-

It had taken Shippou about a week of pleading, but he was finally able to convince her to leave the cabin to visit her family before the wedding. He had been unable to persuade her to attend the wedding, but he was pleased that at least she would pay her family a well deserved visit after so long.

He was so excited, but at the same time, he was aware of Kagome’s nervousness. She had been completely broken, and required much time to heal. He had hoped that the few years of solitude he had allowed her had helped her instead of increasing her recluse nature. He was concerned about the latter. The last thing he needed to do would be to aggravate her fragile condition. So he chattered on about inane and meaningless trivialities while she stared unseeingly at him and their surroundings.

Pasting a bright smile onto his childish features, Shippou grinned and assured her repeatedly about her family’s desire to see her. He was desperately hoping that this visit would encourage her to get out more and to not view herself as an unwanted object.

-:- -:- -:-

Kikyou grumbled to herself about her own stupidity as she watched the obese feline put on an unexpected burst of speed and dash out the open doorway. She had gotten up early to retrieve the milk bottles from the front door, the back of her mind thanking the faithful milkman who trekked up the shrine stairs every morning, when Buyo decided that it was time for a morning stroll. Slightly irritated and disheveled from sleeping, Kikyou wrapped the small cloak about her more tightly. The early chill was quite biting this morning.

She yawned, eyes blinking blearily, she tried to rub the sleep from them while scratching her head. While successful in making herself look more untidy than ever, she could not locate the lazy lump of fur which was the family pet.

Kikyou allowed herself a light chuckle. At one point, Buyo had been an energetic (thin) kitten who loved to chase the mice in the shrine. That was when they were all younger and Buyo had been primarily Kagome’s pet. As he aged, he got fatter and lazier, but was still loved by all. When Kagome left, he only seemed to get fatter and lazier, but at the same time, looked so much more lonely. She could understand, they all missed their dear little shrine maiden.

Chuckles became silent sobs, and Kikyou wiped away a bitter tear. “Gome-chan, I miss you.” She whispered.

-:- -:- -:-

Shippou held Hoshimaru in one arm and Kagome’s hand in his free hand. The young boy had fallen asleep after the short plane ride to Tokyo. They had taken a cab to the outskirts of the town where the shrine resided and decided to walk the rest of the way. Hoshimaru sighed in his sleep and curled tighter into Shippou’s chest in an unconscious attempt to ward off the morning chill.

Kagome held Shippou’s hand in a veritable deathgrip, causing the teen to frown. She was so nervous, on the verge of panic from what he could tell. If he hadn’t returned her grip with his own, he was sure that she would have snatched up her son and fled back to the cabin, running all the way if need be.

“Relax, ‘kaa-san.” He plastered a grin onto his face. “I know they can’t wait to see you. Won’t this be a surprise for them. I can’t wait to see their reactions.” He said brightly, trying to lift her mood.

She gave him a weak smile in return. “Yes, it will be a surprise.” Internally she frowned. ‘They’ll probably be so surprised that I have the gall to return. I should go back.’ She thought.

As if hearing her thoughts, Shippou’s hand tightened around hers. She looked up to see him smiling at warmly. “They will love seeing you again, I’m sure. They’ve missed you.”

Kagome remained silent. She closed her eyes and relaxed, allowing the younger boy to lead her around. Even with her eyes closed, she could never forget her home town.

At the moment, they were passing the ice cream shop where she used to celebrate birthdays and trivial events with her friends and family. In eight minutes, they would cross the street and be two minutes away from the WacDonalds where she spent so much of her junior high and high school afternoons with her friends. A forty minute walk from there, they would enter the neighborhood of where her best and closest friends lived.

At the end of the street, they would turn left and walk through the cemented routes of an old forest, following the lines of houses where trees used to be. They would turn left again and then right at the abandoned home. It would take seventeen minutes to reach the last street. They would walk past six houses, turn right, pass another twelve houses, and come to across one of the main streets of the town. They would cross the street and find themselves at the foot of a daunting staircase. Two hundred and thirty-six steps divided into three flights.

As a child, Kagome would often race her friends up the stairs. Of course, she would always win, having lived there her whole memorable life. Sometimes, some of the neighborhood boys would join in, three in particular, she could remember. One always chased her, and if she hadn’t known the shrine grounds so well, would have caught her. One was always overly polite and loved giving her strange medicinal remedies which she would promptly hand over to her overjoyed ojii-san. One seemed more content to look at the rear of her than the front. They were always a lot of fun and Kagome never minded if they partook in the games she played with the girls, which were mostly more tomboyish than expected from the young females.

Shippou watched as Kagome’s tensed expression relaxed into serenity. The corners of his mouth curled upwards. She was so beautiful when she was happy. She must have been remembering better times, he realized. Kagome’s hometown would make anyone nostalgic though. It was a quaint, clean place; a nice place where someone pure such as Kagome would flourish. Shippou himself noticed this when he was eight, it was a stark contrast from the life which he had been used to at the time.

-:- -:- -:-

Sesshoumaru reclined wearily into his chair. He placed a hand over his eyes. At the moment, he wished he had a sword, or a gun, or a rabid rabbit, or something with which he could cause irreparable damage. It was so frustrating. Taisho Corporation’s main rival, Akatsune Industries, had once again outmaneuvered his plans and had somehow monopolized on Mizuni Tech’s silicone exports.

It was infuriating. Not only did Akatsune Industries repeatedly acquire manufacturing contracts which were the well known targets of Taisho corp, but the leader of Akatsune Ind. constantly avoided all contact with their representatives and had even been absent at a requested meeting with the head of Taisho corp, Sesshoumaru himself.

According to the information he had been able to obtain, Sesshoumaru had gathered that Akatsune-san was an established genius. He had begun heading the business since he was eight years old when he was orphaned due to his parents’ passing in a car accident. There had been rumors that the car accident had been caused by Hiten and Manten, two well known goons in the employ of Kumo Inc, a smaller, yet still powerful, rival business.

Sesshoumaru frowned. If Taisho corp and Akatsune Ind would come to an understanding, they could easily crush Kumo Incorporated and become the most powerful corporation of all Japan. Merging their businesses together would also save him a lot of pain and heartache in the paperwork section of his day.

However, the young company leader seemed to have a grudge against him, though he was not sure why. Sesshoumaru had never met the boy personally, so he wasn’t sure what he could have done to offend him. If anything, Sesshoumaru should have been the one who was irritated by the other’s actions.

It was tiring. He propped up his elbow on the desk and rested his chin in his hand. He was so tired. After a rather catastrophic engagement five years ago, he had thrown himself into his work. Taisho corp, already infamously successful, had flourished under his leadership.

Now he was in charge of an insanely huge company. Other than his secretary and personal assistant, Sesshoumaru wasn’t sure if he could name a single employee in his staff. In most meetings, he often sat and slept with his eyes open. They were pointless. Taisho corp was virtually indestructible by any other company unless Kumo and Akatsune merged, which was about as likely as himself miraculously being able to shit kittens.

Simply put, the three companies were in a deadlock. Though Akatsune headed the three in profits and capital, none of the companies would be able to assimilate the others without the cooperation of another party, which, currently, did not seem very likely.

Sesshoumaru stiffened at the horrendous buzzing sound of his intercom. Irately he pressed the button. “What is it?” He intoned impassively.

“A call from your brother, sir.” His secretary’s bright voice floated in.

“Half-brother,“ he corrected, bored. It was really meaningless for him to continue correcting it, but it had become a force of habit.

“Uh, yes, half-brother.” She corrected half-heartedly. “He called to remind you that he’s getting married in a month, and in his words ‘You’d better damned well be there you son of a bitch or I will personally show up on your doorstep or whatever other hellhole you’re hiding your worthless ass and beat the fucking shit out of you.’ And, ‘oh yeah, you gotta come see me today cuz we gotta get you outfitted ‘n’ shit ‘n’ there’s some other crap. I don’t know.’”

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes. His secretary had been in his employ for a little less than four years. He fired the last one after some less than tasteful events had occurred which she had played a part in.

His new secretary had a flair for delivering his messages as stated, unfortunately. Most of the time, he could applaud her accuracy, but she often relayed even the most crass of messages in her same cheerful manner. It would get quite disturbing sometimes.

“Thank you, Sanako. Tell him that I’ll be in attendance. And no more calls for today. I’m leaving.” He replied.

“Okay, Taisho-sama. Good day!”

With that, Sesshoumaru clicked off his intercom. Leaving behind his stack of papers, he slipped into his jacket and left his office. It was all meaningless, he wasn’t needed. He had strengthened Taisho corp to its absolute limit. Unless Akatsune Ind or Kumo inc withdrew or merged, absolutely nothing would change. Why further complicate the situation and add to his misery with a headache and paperwork. It was all futile.

-:- -:- -:-

Clad in a much warmer outfit, consisting of an oversized wool sweater and loose, thick pants, Kikyou resumed her hunt for the elusive feline. She would call his name out every so often, but so far she had not seen the cat since the morning when he had made his great escape. Irately blowing her bangs out of her eyes, she placed her hands on her hips. ‘Kagome would know where he went,’ she thought, surprising herself.

“Now where did that thought come from?” She wondered aloud. She shook her head. Tightening the hair tie of her pony tail, she made her way away from the Goshinboku and toward the well house. A movement across the grounds caught her eye and she turned her head in time to see a fuzzy rear and tail scamper down the shrine steps and disappear from her sight. “Buyo!” She called, and jogged after it.

She could see the cat pause a few steps down, he turned his head and meowed once, then continued down the steps. He didn’t make it far as he was scooped up into Kikyou’s arms. “You naughty little cat, what are you thinking so early in the morning.” Buyo pawed at her sweater and mostly ignored the woman’s scolding, his attention focused at the bottom of the stairs.

Curious, Kikyou peered down, she could make out three shapes at the base of the stairs. ‘Visitors this early?’ She wondered. One had a vibrant shock of red hair. Beside him a pale young woman stood nervously. Both were looking up at her. “Oh Kami…” Kikyou’s arms fell limp to her sides. Buyo fell neatly and scampered down the stairs.

Biting her lower lip hard enough to draw blood, she fiercely prayed that she wasn’t dreaming. Kikyou bounded down the stairs heedlessly. She took the stairs four at a time, a feat only capable after years of conditioning on the shrine grounds.

-:- -:- -:-

Shippou’s hand had tightened once more around Kagome’s. She smiled briefly and squeezed his hand back reassuringly. Seeing a familiar fluff ball making his way toward her, she held her breath. At least there was some creature who still wanted to see her. When Buyo pawed at her feet, she released Shippou’s hand and reached down to pick up her furry companion.

She cradled the small creature to her chest and he meowed appreciatively. He snuggled up into her arms and promptly fell asleep. Kagome turned to Shippou and smiled. “Buyo missed me.”

Shippou nodded, then gestured with his free hand for her to turn around. She did so slowly, at first not comprehending what she was seeing. Her elder sister stood a few steps from the bottom of the staircase. Her cheeks were flushed and she was panting from her wild flight down the stairs. She looked at Kagome with wide disbelieving eyes.

Tentatively Kikyou reached out, as if to assure herself that what she was seeing was real. Unconsciously, Kagome flinched. To her, it looked as if her older sibling was about to strike her.

“Kagome,” Kikyou whispered as she saw the other girl’s reaction. Her heart dropped sadly. She, of all people, knew the real reason as to why Kagome had become as broken as she was now. Gingerly, she laid a hand on Kagome’s bowed head and stroked her hair soothingly. She gently drew the younger girl into a tight embrace, Buyo cuddled between them.

“Imouto-chan, I missed you so much,” the elder girl murmured into Kagome’s hair. Below her she could feel Kagome trembling, almost pulling back. Kikyou only held her tighter. “I’m so happy to see you.” Kikyou whispered, hot tears blurring her vision. “Please don’t leave again.” She buried her face into the dark wavy hair of her sibling. “Don’t leave us, Gome-chan.”

Kikyou held on to her sister until the shaking stopped. When Kagome’s breath evened out, Kikyou relaxed her hold. She stood back to take in Kagome’s appearance. She was shocked by the obvious paleness of the girl’s features. When she had held her, it seemed that the younger girl could have shattered if she had squeezed her any harder. Kagome had been starving herself, that much she could tell.

Looking beyond her little sister, Kikyou saw a familiar form towering over them. Shippou had grown so much since the last time they had seen him. He hadn’t visited the shrine in the past few years, and had only kept contact with them through rare telephone calls or the sparse e-mail. Cradled in the teen’s arms was a small sliver haired child, fast asleep.

Giving the red-head a look meaning they would have to talk later, she held Kagome’s silent and tense form against her, and walked her up the stairs. Shippou followed them quietly.

-:- -:- -:-

Sakuya Higurashi stood at the stove, patiently stirring a large pot of oden. She smiled to herself, remembering her younger daughter’s excitement at the smell of oden cooking. Oden had been her favorite dish. Absently, she slid the sliced fish from the cutting board into the pot and adjusted the temperature.

Outside, she could hear the pattering of footsteps. It was quite early for visitors at the shrine, but it couldn’t be helped. She placed a lid over the pot and lowered the temperature once more to allow it to simmer, but not burn while she was occupied. She washed her hands and wiped them dry. Straightening her clothes, she went to answer the door.

-:- -:- -:-

After ten minutes of pounding, the door swung open. Miroku poked his disheveled head out, his eyes still glassed over from sleep. “Whatcha want?” He asked, yawning. He stood clad in an oversized t-shirt and boxer shorts, obviously his sleepwear.

Sesshoumaru curled his lips in distaste. “I have come to inquire the whereabouts of Inuyasha. He left me a message this morning which reminded me of something he had requested of me.”

Miroku paused in mid-yawn, his hand frozen on his head which he had been scratching. His eyes widened. “Oh crap!” He suddenly disappeared from the doorway.

Refraining from rolling his eyes, Sesshoumaru settled on stepping back from the open door. The foul odors of the apartment were far from pleasant, making him wonder how long it had been since Miroku had last done any cleaning of any sort. Perhaps something had died in his apartment and he had allowed it to ferment in there.

Miroku appeared a few minutes later, fully dressed and hygienically safe. “Ah, I completely forgot, I was supposed to meet Yasha at the shrine today. Well, it’s eleven o’clock, so I’m only an hour late. But I’m glad you’re here. It makes things easier since I was supposed to call you anyways.” He babbled.

“Indeed.” Sesshoumaru kept his face impassive as they approached their respective cars.

“Anyways, I gotta go pick up Sango. She’s gonna throw a fit when I tell her that we’re late. Inuyasha should be at the shrine right now, chattin’ it up with Kikyou. Uh, there was something I was supposed to ask you…” He trailed off, scratching his head thoughtfully. “I forget, but I’m sure Yasha will tell you when you see him. Well, gotta go. Bye!” He waved cheerfully, before dropping into his car and racing off.

Sesshoumaru frowned. The shrine. Of all the places he wished to return to the least, Higurashi Shrine had to top them. Though they were not hostile toward him, the residents of the shrine cast about an aura which made him feel unwelcome. He didn’t blame them.

Sighing resignedly, Sesshoumaru sat in his car, pulled out, and headed toward the shrine.

-:- -:- -:-

Opening the back door quietly, Kikyou noted that her mom had a pot of oden on the stove. She allowed herself a small smile, remarking on the irony that her mother would make Kagome’s favorite dish today.

Buyo padded past Kikyou and into the kitchen, much happier to be in the warm house than outside in the cold.

Taking no notice of their cat, Kikyou immediately turned her attention to the voices coming from the living room. Recognizing the voices of her mother and fiancé, Kikyou wanted to slap herself in the face. Amidst the morning chaos of kitty-hunting and sudden sibling reunion, she had forgotten that she and Inuyasha had set aside today to plan out the finer details of their wedding. Praying that they hadn’t noticed her, Kikyou snuck in her silent sibling and her companions.

-:- -:- -:-

Kikyou and Shippou had come to the conclusion that as great as it was to have her back, Kagome was far from ready to meet everyone again. They would have to go slowly, introducing her friends and family to her one at a time. So they decided that they would take Kagome up to her room, and wait until she was ready. It pained Kikyou to know that her little sibling was wary of even her, the one who had been closest to Kagome her entire life.

Kagome’s room had been left untouched since she had left them. It sat as an innocent reminder of the child she had used to be. Hoshimaru was laid on the soft pink bed and tucked in under warm down comforters. Kagome sat at the bedside to watch over her son, and for what unconscious support his presence gave her.

Shippou and Kikyou sat across the room from her, silently pondering. They both understood their dilemma. Kikyou had mentioned to Shippou that many of Kagome’s closest friends would be arriving at the shrine to help out with the wedding plans. If Kagome’s presence was known, they would all want to see her, and they didn’t think that Kagome would be able to handle that, but it would do to hide her while they were over.

Kagome was starved for affection, but she pushed them away. What was worse was that she appeared afraid of them. She didn’t think herself worthy of them, their attentions, or anything they could offer.

-:- -:- -:-

It was too quiet. The tension in the air only served to assure Kagome of what she had concluded: she shouldn’t have come.

Shippou was unsually quiet and her elder sister seemed troubled. Neither of them would even look at her. She was unwanted after all.

Kagome had felt so happy to hear her sister’s words of wanting to see her, but she had lied. Kikyou didn’t want her here after all. She had only said those words for Kagome’s sake. Kikyou had always been so compassionate and caring.

Kikyou had always been so much better than her, but was never conceited or had any malicious intentions. Kikyou would be kind even to people who had been cruel to her. It was one of the many reasons why Kagome loved and idolized her elder sister so much. Kikyou would always know what to do, while Kagome struggled and failed.

Kagome smiled sadly as she looked upon her son. He seemed so contented in sleep. She brushed his fine hair from his face and kissed his forehead. She stood slowly. She had to leave. They didn’t want her here. It had been a mistake for her to even think that they might have wanted to see her.

Kagome was across the room and at the door before Kikyou or Shippou could stop her. She opened the door silently with the intent to disappear before they noticed when she was stopped.

-:- -:- -:-

Inuyasha had heard the backdoor open. He was lounging on the couch, waiting for Kikyou. Mrs. Higurashi had told him that she was out about the shrine grounds searching for their cat. When he had offered to help look, the woman had simply pushed him onto the couch and told him to wait there comfortably until she returned.

Mrs. Higurashi chatted idly about things, asking him how he was and what he was doing. Inuyasha answered her as best he could, but his mind was elsewhere. He wondered if his brother had gotten his message. It was strange, but he knew his brother felt deeply guilty about what had happened four years ago, but there really wasn’t much he could have done about it. Sesshoumaru had simply crapped up his own life with his shitty attitude.

He heard Kikyou pattering around in the kitchen, but was surprised to hear that there were some people with her. He told Kikyou’s mother that he had heard her come in and go upstairs.

Sakuya smiled. “She must not have noticed us.” She remarked, well, make yourself at home. I’m going to finish making lunch.” She stood and went back into the kitchen.

“Thanks, Higurashi-san.” Inuyasha replied as he ran up the stairs.

He had heard them go into Kagome’s old room. He was sure of it. Curious he opened the door and stood completely shell-shocked at the sight which greeted him.

-:- -:- -:-

Surprised blue eyes stared up him before fading into a dull grey. Kagome bowed her head and tried to retreat from Inuyasha.

Moving as fast as he could, Shippou had one hand on Kikyou’s back and on on Kagome’s. He shoved both out of the room, forcing Inuyasha to take a few steps back. He shut the door firmly behind him and grinned broadly. “Hiya Inuyasha. Haven’t seen you for a while. Let’s move this reunion to a place more suitable, ne?” He smiled innocently.

Kikyou gave the red-head a questioning look while Inuyasha sputtered, his brain struggling to comprehend what had just happened.

“Shippou?” He managed to croak.

“In the flesh.” Shippou spread his arms wide. When Inuyasha wasn’t looking, he gestured to Kikyou to keep quiet about the sleeping boy. It would be something that he would explain later.

Turning wide eyes to Kagome, Inuyasha stared at her intently, as if to assure himself that was really there. “Kagome…?” He whispered softly, praying that she wouldn’t disappear.

Afraid to meet his gaze, Kagome kept her head bowed. “Hello, Inuyasha.” She said uncertainly. At hearing no response, she moved back, attempting to hide behind Shippou when she was suddenly crushed against a hard body.

“Kagome! I can’t believe it! When you disappeared, we went mad searching for you. I missed you so much!” Inuyasha bawled.

Kikyou leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Kagome as well. “We all love you very much Kagome.” She cooed gently. This was what Kagome needed most right now, Kikyou thought. She should have said so sooner, but the shock had yet to wear off. Give it to Inuyasha to instinctively know what to do. It happened rarely in any other case, but Inuyasha almost always knew how to make Kagome feel better. He was like an older brother, always looking out for her.

Standing stiffly, tears rolled down Kagome’s cheeks. Her arms reached out to weakly embrace the other two. Turning her head a little to face Shippou, she mouthed a “thank you,” before burying her head onto the shoulder’s of her loved ones.

Shippou grinned. It couldn’t have worked out better. He frowned a little at the thought of explaining Hoshimaru though. He knew Inuyasha would want Sesshoumaru to know about him. Shippou frowned. He didn’t want Sesshoumaru any where near his Kagome-kaa-san. He’d have to keep Inuyasha quiet about Kagome’s return.

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-