InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Pain of Losing Another ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

Chapter Three

“Hey, what’s all the hubbub? We’re not that late.” Miroku commented as he entered the Higurashis’ house. There seemed to be a party or something going on.

Sango swatted him on the head. “It’s you’re fault we’re late! If you could just wake up on time, we wouldn’t be late!” Sango retorted.

“You could’ve called me.” Miroku calmly replied.

“No, my phone’s broken, which is also your fault!” Sango waved a finger at him. “You owe me a new phone!”

“It’s only broken because you threw it at me.” Miroku whined, holding his hands up in a placating manner.

“If you weren’t so perverted, then I wouldn’t have thrown it at you.”

“Well, I can’t help it if your delicious looking-”

“Guys?” A voice interrupted their banter.

“What?” They said simultaneously, turning their heads to face the speaker.

It seemed the whole family was gathered in the living room. Mrs. Higurashi was sobbing quietly with a large smile on her face, she held a tissue to her nose and blew noisily. Higurashi-jii-chan looked positively drunk with happiness, though it could be attributed to the large bottle of sake on the living room table. Souta sat on the floor with a tall red-head beside him. On the couch lounged Inuyasha and Kikyou with a familiar girl perched between them. Buyo lay sprawled across her lap.

-:- -:- -:-

It had not taken long for Mrs. Higurashi to come flying up the stairs at the mention of her missing daughter. Inuyasha’s wailing had been loud enough to hear from the first floor. She had latched on to her daughter and could not stop weeping.

After that, Jii-chan had been informed and she had called Souta from the University to visit. Jii-chan, at first sight of his favorite grand-daughter, promptly pulled out the sake and declared it a celebration.

-:- -:- -:-

“I don’t believe it,” Sango gasped, her hand flying to her mouth before she dashed to the girl. “KAGOME!!!” She shrieked, catching the surprised girl in a tackle hug.

Inuyasha and Kikyou bounced to the side due to the force of Sango’s lunge. The excited girl embraced Kagome and squeezed her tightly. “Oh my KAMI!!! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?!” She demanded, still squeezing the poor girl while rocking back and forth.

“Can’t…br-breathe…S-Sango!” Kagome gasped while patting her friend on the back in a futile attempt to get the girl to relax her tight hold.

Ignoring Kagome’s pleads for air, Sango continued scolding the girl. “You shouldn’t have left! Never, never, never! We’re never going to let you go again! I swear it!” Sango was stopped in her tirade by a gentle hand on her arm. She looked up to see warm violet eyes sparkling merrily.

“If you don’t release her soon, Sango-chan, poor little Gome-chan will expire before you finish telling her how much we missed her.” Miroku teased lightly.

“Oh my God!” She abrupty released Kagome as Inuyasha and Kikyou stifled their giggles.

Red faced and panting for air, Kagome smiled up at her best friend with tears in her eyes. “Hi Sango.” She said nervously. “It’s good to see you again.”

“‘It’s good to see you again.’ IS THAT ALL YOU CAN SAY?!?!” Sango shrieked, holding Kagome by the shoulders.

“I…” Kagome faltered. She looked helplessly at Shippou, but before Shippou could say anything, Miroku intervened.

“Sango-chan, why don’t we let Gome-chan explain when she’s ready. I’m sure we’ll get an explanation for what’s going on.” He gave a pointed look at Inuyasha, who shrugged. Miroku frowned slightly. He had figured that at least Inuyasha would know the circumstances, or perhaps had even orchestrated the reunion as an accomplice to Kikyou. Apparently not.

“Shippou-chan, you’ve grown.” He commented. “Must be quite the ladies’ man now, eh?” He grinned and the teen flushed.

“Sh-shut up you perv!” Shippou stammered, blushing.

Miroku laughed and mussed Shippou’s hair. “You wound me dear boy! I am no pervert! I have eyes for only one!”

“But hands for everyone else.” Sango added sourly.

“Oh, but Sango love!” Miroku moved to clasp Sango’s hands in his. “If you would but bless upon me the gift of bearing my child, I’m sure the curse of my wandering hands would be lifted!” He proclaimed loudly. He received a sharp strike to the head, knocking him to the floor.

Sango returned her attentions to Kagome. “How are you?” She asked.

Kagome flushed. “I…I’ve been good. Um...there’s something I’d like to say to everyone…” She paused, looking around for approval. Shippou nodded and held her hand tightly in his. He knew what was coming. At the arrival of everyone, Kagome now had to explain herself, and, among other things, introduce them to the new member of their family.

It would be difficult for Kagome, but with her heartfelt reunion, he was sure Kagome would make it. She had always been a strong person. He had brought her here for the express reason of for Kagome to know that she was loved and sorely missed. Her understanding nature had brought her to the conclusion that she now had to explain her past actions. It was well known to himself and Kagome’s family that not all present knew of what had really happened to her.

-:- -:- -:-

Giving a soft smile which warmed her features, Kagome stared out into the sea of faces around her. Each face was focused on her in an array of expressions, ranging from hopeful to worried to supportive. She faltered for a moment.

It was difficult to explain herself in a way that her friends would find accepting. She had never really been a person to act so rashly as to run away before, but at that time, she had known nothing but pain. The pain had slowly eaten away at her, even to her current point. Her inner turmoil had shown clearly in her physical appearance. Kagome was as white as a sheet and looked as if the next hard wind would shatter her. She had become the epitome of a porcelain doll.

Slowly, Kagome bowed her head, unable to meet the intense stares of her friends and family. “I know you’ve all been asking where I’ve been these past few years,” she started weakly. “You don’t know how happy you’ve made me by looking so hard.” She bit her lip as a few tears slid down her cheeks. Her whole face felt hot at the thought that she had been missed. Her family still loved her.

“I’m sorry that I had been a disappointment.” She continued quietly.

At the first sign of argument, Shippou stared at them hard. He gave them the silent message to let Kagome finish. If she was stopped now, it would be next to impossible to get her to finish later. Shippou squeezed her hand reassuringly as he felt the invisible tremble run through his mother.

“I was the one to break of the engagement four years ago, then I ran away. It was selfish of me, but I thought I could spare you all the heartache of having to look after someone like me.” Kagome’s voice broke, and she let out a soft, sad little hiccup.

Breathing deeply to try and clear up her emotions, Kagome blinked away her tears. Gripping Shippou’s hand tightly, she looked up to face her family. “Four years away was a long time. It has given me time to think about everything and…I’m sorry. I’ve caused you all a lot of grief, but that wasn’t my intent. I just wanted everyone to be happy, and I thought that if I left…” Her throat constricted. She had thought that if she wasn’t there, they would all be happy. Regardless of the pain it caused her, their happiness was more important.

A soft hand was laid against her shoulder. Kagome looked up to see the loving gaze of her mother on her. “Kagome,” she said softly. “We all love you very much.” She drew her youngest daughter into a gentle embrace. “Never think otherwise, no matter what anyone says.”

Kagome lay limply in the arms of her mother. Tears scalded down her face. “Mama…” She cried in barely a whisper. “I missed you.” Squeezing her eyes shut in an attempt to block out the negative thoughts which would permeate the moment of comfort, she weakly returned the embrace.

“I’m sorry.” Her mother murmured softly into her ears.

-:- -:- -:-

Sesshoumaru angrily snapped open his cell-phone. He had driven around for a few hours in indecision. He was trying to uncharacteristically prolong the time before he had to confront the friends and family of his ex-fiancée. At the very moment he had reached the crossroads to the shrine, his phone had rung, ripping him from his contemplation. He had expressly ordered that he would take no calls today, but no less than an hour later, his personal assistant calls him.

“What?” he barked into the receiver.

Visibly cowering on the other end, Jaken made a small noise of fear. “I’m sorry Taisho-sama, but I thought you should know, Kumo Incorporated is making threats on Taisho again.” He squeaked.

Sesshoumaru rubbed his temples. “Is this nonsense what you called me for? It doesn’t’ matter.”

“But!” Jaken interrupted quickly. “Onigumo says that he has made arrangements to merge with Akatsune, by engagement.”

Sesshoumaru growled. After his own fiasco of an arranged marriage, he had never wanted to hear the word ‘engagement’ again. “That is pointless. There is no one for Onigumo to marry.”

“He brought up the subject of Akatsune’s mother.”

“She is dead.” Sesshoumaru clipped.

“His foster mother,” was the quick correction.

Sesshoumaru paused. He had never known that the Akatsune heir had a foster mother. The thought had never crossed his mind. It would be problematic for him if Kumo and Akatsune were to merge. “Who is she?”

“I don’t know.”

“Find out.” He clipped and snapped the phone shut.

Sesshoumaru clenched his jaw. After ending the call with Jaken, he sighed. He made a sharp right turn and drove directly toward the shrine. Resigning himself, he parked and slowly made his way up the shrine steps, inching up one step at a time.

Taking almost half an hour to reach the top, he found the grounds oddly empty and lacking the noise he would associate with the large gathering which the shrine was supposed to accumulate on that day.

-:- -:- -:-

Musical laughter floated through the air. Sango was yelling while Miroku groveled on the floor. Inuyasha and Shippou were fighting. Kikyou was pouring tea for ojii-san. Souta was petting Buyo on the floor while watching the goings ons. Nothing would ever change, Kagome thought smiling.

She yelped in surprise as Miroku suddenly grabbed her legs which were bent over the edge of the couch. “Kagome-sama! Help me!” He whined pitifully as Sango slammed her fist down onto his head. Grabbing at his legs, Sango tried to wrench the man from her friend’s legs, but Miroku stubbornly held on tightly.

“HEY!! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!?!” Inuyasha had turned at Kagome’s yelp to see his best friend clinging inappropriately, he thought, to his future sister-in-law. He leapt wildly at the poor man while Shippou stood there grinning.

-:- -:- -:-

Mrs. Higurashi stood patiently, hidden behind a wall with the phone receiver pressed to her ear. She listened to the brief ringing of the phone before the other line picked up. “Taisho-sama,” she greeted formally.

“Higurashi-san? Is that you?” A deep voice questioned. After a compliant confirmation, the voice continued. “No need to be so formal, Sakuya-san.”

“Hai…Touga-san.” Sakuya let a smile flit lightly over her features.

“So, what is the occasion?” He asked in humor, but Touga could all but hear the hesitation in the woman’s demeanor.

“Touga-san…Kagome has come back. I thought that you would like to know.” She replied softly.

“I see,” was the slow reply. “I’m very happy to hear that. You and your family must celebrate the occasion.” He intoned carefully. “Was there something that you would like me to do?”

Sakuya nervously twirled the phone cord in between her fingers. As much as she respected the former Taisho CEO, the man could be damn aggravating with his words. “I was wondering what you would like to do.” She answered just as carefully.

It was a delicate situation. It had been, after all, a marriage that he had arranged, with their cooperation. At the time, it had seemed that everyone would have benefited from the arrangement. Kagome herself had not objected. They had all known that the conflict with originate from Sesshoumaru.

“How is she?” Touga smoothly interjected, avoiding the unspoken question. He did not want to repeat his mistakes, nor put the poor girl through anymore harm than had already come to pass upon her.

“She’s shaken and frail. But I’m hoping that with time spent here, she’ll recover more fully. I believe there are a few secrets she’s still hiding though. I want her to trust in us again and to protect her like I should have before.” She answered truthfully.

Touga frowned. It had been his fault. It was he who had come up with the idea in the first place. He had been close friends with the Higurashis since the passing of Sakuya’s husband, who had been a loyal employee of his. The couple had such charming children. He had figured that his own sons could only benefit from their presence. He had been wrong. “Sakuya-san, it’s not your fault. The fault lies entirely with me.” He sighed. “If possible, I’d like to come over for a visit,” he frowned, “unless she isn’t ready to see any of Taisho blood.” He added wryly.

Sakuya shook her head in a negative the man couldn’t see. “No, Inuyasha is already over. She might be able to bear seeing you, but…” She trailed off, her mouth curling into a small frown. “I just…wish the best for your eldest. I know he didn’t mean to hurt her like he did, but my baby is still weak.” She paused before voicing her request. “I was thinking, Kagome is far from ready for such a confrontation. If you could-”

“Consider it done.” Touga clipped sharply. Speaking with a smile in his voice, “Sakuya-san, I wouldn’t dream of harming your family. I’ll make sure that Sesshoumaru won’t find out about Kagome’s return until she’s ready.”

“Thank you Touga-san. I’m very grateful to you and your family. You’ve been of incomparable help to us.” She hung up the phone before allowing the man to reply. Sakuya let out a slow breath and leaned against the wall. She was hoping she was doing the right thing. She had to shield her daughter right now. She didn’t think she could handle if Kagome ran off again. Lifting the sleeve of her blouse to her eyes, she smartly wiped away the forming tears and hid any emotions which had bubbled to the surface.

Kikyou had pretty much the whole run of the family when they found out about Kagome’s disappearance. Souta, unable to understand everything fully, escaped into his schoolwork. Ojii-san had been almost inconsolable for a time. Sakuya herself had a breakdown, refusing food and sleep in trying to find her lost daughter.

Kikyou had been strong for all of them, but she had to have been hurting among the worst. She was the closest one to Kagome, the one to understand her the most. In the end, they had to accept Kagome’s decision to leave. They all understood that Kagome needed time to heal, but she needed to heal with them. After some time alone, she was sure to come back. Sakuya hadn’t thought it would take four years.

She missed her daughter so deeply. She loosely wrapped her arms around herself. It seemed so cold suddenly. Her little girl had grown up into a broken woman. It was painful to look at her. Kagome was so thin and pale. A hollow expression had replaced her once sunny and innocent demeanor. Her face had become so haunted. The empty eyes which looked at them all; they glimmered with a glassy look, but only reflected what she saw. Kagome wasn’t touched by it. No matter how she smiled or how she acted, she was still trapped in a lonely world.

Her darling baby had gotten hurt. She had been delivered a pain so deep, it might never heal. She should have rejoiced that Kagome had returned at all, but just looking at the changes Kagome had gone through, Sakuya deeply regretted ever letting her baby go. She should have looked harder for, tried harder to protect her. She should have noticed the signs of her daughter’s unhappiness, but Kagome was a completely selfless girl. She had hid all of her pain and all of her suffering until she had broken. Her body and mind had passed their limit and had shattered. Her heart had irreparable damage done to it. Kagome had become a shell, and it was all Sakuya’s fault. She couldn’t protect her baby.

-:- -:- -:-

Sesshoumaru strode swiftly across the shrine grounds. The outer portions seemed completely deserted. Even the old priest who seemed to be perpetually sweeping the grounds was absent. Slightly puzzled, Sesshoumaru made his way in further. He was positive that he was correct in the date his brother had provided. Of course the fault could have lain with his brother, it would not have been the first time Inuyasha had messed up his dates, by mistake or otherwise.

Upon reaching the Higurashi home, he noted that the doorways had been flung open, as if in haste, or perhaps they had forgotten to close them. Mentally shrugging, he entered quietly, shedding his shoes and silently closing the door. Hoping that letting himself in would not be considered too rude, he ambled slowly toward the main room when a shriek quickened his pace.

He raced for the doors to the living room and sped through them. Shock froze his body as he took in the scene before him. It seemed that the whole family had gathered in the living room and were clustered around the center table. At one end of the table, there was a pile of bodies all dog piled atop a poor young man. The rest of the rooms occupants crowded around an effectively familiar face.

-:- -:- -:-

Touga listened to the dial tone of the phone after Sakuya had hung up. All of the Higurashis had kind natures, but Kagome had been the most giving of them all. He had thought that she would be a good influence for his eldest son, and she had been, until he had made a disastrous mistake. He replaced the receiver slowly into its cradle and rubbed at his temples.

It would be better to visit the shrine soon. He needed to straighten things out with the Higurashis, and if nothing else, apologize. A full explanation had been long over-due.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome tensed at the sudden intrusion and her body drained of any color as she recognized the intruder.

Golden eyes had widened to a size she would have considered impossible for him to achieve. The room seemed to become so abruptly silent and still.

Sesshoumaru’s mouth gaped as he had the attention of the whole room, but his focus was riveted to the lone woman. She had changed so much since he had seen her last. Her body had looked to have healed completely, but the look of absolute terror on her face at the sight of him appalled him. Although her reaction should have been expected, he couldn‘t help but feel the pang of sadness lance through him. It physically hurt him to see her so terrified of him.

He opened his mouth slowly to try to explain something, anything to the woman, about how regretful he was about what he had done. “I-” The sudden and unwelcome blaring of his cellphone shattered the spell of stillness. Immediately he was leapt upon by two very angry young men.

The women flew to Kagome who had backed away from the newcomer. As soon as she saw her friends and family heading toward her, she fled for the stairs. Bitterly she wiped away the tears which had once again found their way down her cheeks. She shouldn’t have come back. The look of pure disgust on Sesshoumaru’s face at the sight of her more than confirmed all of her suspicions. She wasn’t wanted here.

Inuyasha and Miroku had to jump and grab the two volatile youths as they had been attempting to strangle the life out of Sesshoumaru. Miroku had his arms wrapped around Souta’s torso and pulled him far enough so that Sesshoumaru wouldn’t be hit by any of the boy’s flailing limbs.

Inuyasha had Shippou by the arms, gripping them behind the youth’s back as Shippou was screaming profanities at his elder half-brother. “You’re timing couldn’t have been better, bro.” He muttered through gritted teeth. It actually required him to use almost all his strength to keep the little squirt in line. My how the boys had grown.

Taking the pause, Sesshoumaru checked his cellphone and cursed as he saw it had been Jaken who called him. Angrily switching the contraption off, he threw it against a wall and headed toward where the women were chasing Kagome.

Shippou’s eyes widened. He stomped on Inuyasha’s foot, then he bent forward and used his feet the lever his whole body against Inuyasha, bending his elbows to strike and wind the man. “Sorry,” he muttered before racing after Sesshoumaru. Sprinting faster than he ever had in his life, he was able to catch up to the Taisho and cut in front of him, blocking his entry to the staircase leading to Kagome’s room.

“Move, boy.” Sesshoumaru growled. He was in no mood to play with any idealistic young men. He would remove the obstruction by force if he had to.

“My my, Taisho-sama, I have never heard of you having such a temper.” Shippou smirked. “I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure of ever meeting you face-to-face.” Plastering a grin to his face, he bowed slowly. “May I introduce myself?”

“Out of the way!” Sesshoumaru was seeing red. Not only was this boy was mocking him, but he was preventing him from speaking with Kagome.

“I don’t think that’s a very nice tone to take if you want to see my kaa-san.” Shippou taunted lightly.

Sesshoumaru’s eyes riveted on him, boring into the red-head to seek out any lies. “What was that?”

“Taisho-sama, allow me to introduce myself. I am Akatsune Shippou, of Akatsune Ind. It’s nice to meet you.” He narrowed his eyes at the man who had hurt his mama. If it required, he would play every card he had to protect her. “I do believe I’d like to conduct some business with you.”

“Not now, let me through.” Sesshoumaru ordered sharply. He moved to push the boy out of the way when Shippou placed a hand on his shoulder.

“It would be in your best interest if you listened to what I have to say first. Kaa-san would be very upset if you didn’t hear me out.”

Growling lowly in his throat, the Taisho leader allowed himself to be lead back into the living room. There, he saw that Kagome’s younger brother had been calmed down, but still stared at him with nothing but pure hatred as Sesshomaru walked past. He received the same feeling while speaking with the Akatsune heir. He didn’t care what they thought of him though, he just needed to speak with Kagome.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome pressed her body against the door. She had locked the door already, but on the other side, she could hear her family trying to talk to her, trying to coax her into opening the door. She squeezed her eyes shut. A hand clutched at her shirt and she bowed her head.

The pain in her chest wouldn’t lessen. Her throat constricted and she found it harder to breathe. A soft choking noise escaped her. She should have stayed hidden. He hated her. She should never have come anywhere near here. He didn’t want her around. He had never wanted to see her again.

“Kaa-san?” Hoshimaru sat up, rubbing his bleary eyes.

Kagome’s gaze focused on him. It had been a miracle he had stayed asleep this long, but the boy had always been a heavy sleeper. Now, the boy looked to her questioningly.

“Okaa-san? Are you ok?” Hoshimaru could see his mother was in pain. She was looking at him like she was afraid of something. Worried, the boy climbed out of the bed and made his way toward her with his arms outstretched. Despite his young age, he could understand that his mother suffered from a deep pain she tried to hide from everyone.

Kagome trembled as Hoshimaru approached her. The boy’s hair, his soft voice, his whole demeanor reminded her of him, the man who had hurt her, but his eyes…vibrant emerald eyes shone at her with only childish adoration and naiveté. Hoshimaru’s eyes were a unique blend of her strange blue coloring and his distinctive golden orbs. The child wasn’t him, but it was his.

Her chest hurt. She felt so cold, so hollow. Hoshimaru wasn’t him, not yet.

“Kaa-san?” He asked, his voice carrying the tremor of his nervousness. Hoshimaru was really worried. His mama was acting really strangely.

Kagome knelt and gathered the small boy to her. “Shh…” She shushed him gently. She wrapped her boy into a warm embrace, stroking his head to calm him. “I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. Just, please be quiet right now, ok?” She met Hoshimaru’s apprehensive gaze warmly. He nodded silently. “Thank you.” Kagome whispered gratefully.

She wasn’t ready yet. She couldn’t part with her boy just yet. She clutched the boy to her. She was being selfish, but at the moment, Kagome didn’t care. She wanted to stay with her son just a little longer. As soon as her family found out about him, they would no doubt want to take him away and have Hoshimaru stay with someone more capable, more worthy of raising him. He would probably be returned to his father.

Kagome cringed. Her heart felt like it was breaking anew. “Just a little longer…” She pleaded quietly. “Please, I just want to stay with him a little longer…”

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-