InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Pain of Losing Another ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

Chapter Four

Sesshoumaru leaned back into the couch, keeping his expression as emotionless as possible. He looked bored, but Shippou knew better. The man’s body was tense, as sure a sign as any that he was bent on rushing to Kagome. The red-head clenched his jaw. If he had anything to do with it, he would make sure to keep the man as far away from his okaa-san as possible. He didn’t need the man to once more do irreparable damage to his now fragile mother. It was all his fault, he though venomously.

Inuyasha, Miroku, and Souta had been shuttled out by Mrs. Higurashi. The woman was smiling kindly and had asked them for help in certain matters outside of the house. The three knew it was a ploy to allow Sesshoumaru and Shippou to speak to each other uninterrupted, but they weren’t sure why. They complied with the woman’s wishes nonetheless though.

Before leaving, Mrs. Higurashi had made some tea for the two businessmen. The tea sat cold and forgotten on the table between them.

A cheerful smile painted onto his features, Shippou grinned at Sesshoumaru. “So, what brings you here?” He asked innocently, making idle small-talk in order to irritate the man. He knew that nothing annoyed the Taisho leader more than pointless actions.

Sesshoumaru curled a lip distastefully, but otherwise kept his face expressionless. “I was invited by my younger brother to come today. He mentioned needing my assistance in something.” He replied slowly. He would play the boy’s game. If what the boy said was true about Kagome being his foster-mother, then the boy had every right to hate him. Still, he wanted to explain to Kagome, and the boy was getting in the way.

“I see.” Shippou grinned brightly. “So, are you helping out with the wedding?”

“Yes. It is my responsibility to set Inuyasha’s affairs in order beforehand.” Sesshoumaru stared at the boy with a glazed, yet no less intimidating glare.

Undaunted, Shippou continued his indirect taunts. “Speaking of affairs, I’ve heard a strange rumor originating from Taisho corp.”

Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow. “Pray tell, what would this rumor be.”

Shippou made no indication that he had heard the man. He bent over the table and poured himself a cup of the now cooled tea. He held the pot up in a silent gesture asking if Sesshoumaru had wanted a cup. At the man’s negative shake of the head, he shrugged and replaced the pot. He brought the cup to his lips and sniffed lightly before taking a sip. He was, in every respect, prolonging the amount of time before he had to acknowledge Sesshoumaru’s question. Out of the corner of his eye, Shippou could already see golden eyes harden at him in impatience. He hid a smile.

-:- -:- -:-

Sango stood agitated as she watched Kikyou speaking softly through Kagome’s door. At the moment, she wanted to run and break down the door and simply hold Kagome until the girl understood how much she meant to all of them. However, in Kagome’s frail state, she knew that probably wouldn’t be the best course of action. So she left the consoling to Kikyou, and she watched from the sidelines. She would be there for Kagome for as long as the girl needed it.

After a while, Kagome’s door creaked open a crack. Kikyou turned her head and nodded to Sango, assuring her that Kagome would be alright. Sango nodded weakly in return, slightly hurt that Kagome wouldn’t speak to her yet.

Kikyou entered and shut the door behind her. She started slightly as she met a vibrant emerald gaze. “Oh my Kami…” She whispered.

Kagome slowly turned her face to meet her sister’s. “Isn’t he beautiful?” She asked softly.

Kikyou could only nod mutely. “He’s amazing.”

Hoshimaru turned his head inbetween the two. “Kaa-san, she looks like you.” He whispered in an excited tone, but still trying to keep quiet. He wasn’t sure if he was allowed to make a lot of noise yet.

Kagome smiled. “She’s my older sister.”

Hoshimaru’s eyes widened. “There are people older than you?”

Kikyou bit her lip in an attempt to stifle her giggles. The child was precious. He had the unspoiled innocence which Kagome had possessed as a child. Afraid to scare the child, who was obviously shy by the way he clung to Kagome, she knelt beside him and smiled openly. The child returned the smile trustingly. “Hi, my name is Kikyou. What’s your name?”

The boy looked to his mama briefly before answering at his mother’s nod. “Hoshimaru.”

“I see.” Kikyou’s gaze saddened. Leave it to Kagome to name her child something like that, the ‘star of perfection’. Her younger sister had no confidence in herself anymore.

“Yeah, I know. It’s a long and funny name.” Hoshimaru made a face. “I don’t like it much.”

“Hoshimaru!” Kagome scolded.

The boy wilted. His silver head bowed, he clutched at his mama’s shirt with small hands. “I’m sorry mama. It just sounds weird. And it’s a lot longer than your name, or even Shippou’s.”

Kagome’s lips smiled mechanically. She stroked his hair, running her fingers through the thin silky strands. “I think the name fits you.” She bent her head so that it rested on the top of her son’s head. “You are my perfect child.”

Hoshimaru flushed, clearly embarrassed that his mama was talking like that in front of the new person. She had never acted like that before. “Mama?”

Kagome shook her head. “It’s ok, Hoshimaru. I’m sorry. It was nothing.” After reassuring her son, she turned her attention to her elder sister. “Kikyou onee-san.” She said softly.

“What is it?” Kikyou asked, her brow furrowed. She could not remember Kagome ever being so formal. It was completely out of character for the normally rebellious girl.

“Would you take care of Hoshimaru when I cannot? I don’t want the others to know about him yet. No one has even seen him yet except for you and Shippou. I think…it would be better as a surprise. What do you think, honey?” She tilted her head toward Hoshimaru, whose face had brightened at the mention of the word ‘surprise’.

“Do you think?” He whispered excitedly.

Kagome nodded slowly and looked toward her sister. Kikyou sighed. “Of course, Gome. You know I would do anything for you. And I think that this will be quite the surprise.”

“Thank you, Kikyou. You have no idea how much this means for me.” She released her son briefly to embrace her elder sister.

Feeling as if she had just promised something she should have not, Kikyou slowly returned the embrace. She pulled back after a minute. “Kagome,” she said seriously, “is he…?” Kikyou trailed off looking pointedly at Hoshimaru. The boy could only look puzzled at the woman’s half sentence.

Kagome’s throat constricted suddenly. She nodded. “Yes, he’s his child. I…I don’t want to tell…just yet.” A pale hand grasped at Kikyou’s sleeve. “Please not yet. He’s…he’ll take him away. I can’t…not yet.” Kagome’s grasp tightened on the material and she looked pleadingly at Kikyou. She was begging her to not tell Sesshoumaru.

Kikyou turned to fully face Kagome. She held her younger sister’s hands in her own, Hoshimaru snuggled in between them on his mother’s lap. “I won’t betray your trust, Kagome. I’ll keep Hoshimaru here, and everyone else downstairs. Until you are ready, his presence will remain a secret.”

“Thank you.”

-:- -:- -:-

“THAT’S A LIE!!” Sesshoumaru roared into the offending youth’s face. He was standing, his body rigid with anger. “I would never have consigned a product such as that!!”

Shippou merely sniffed and sipped his cold tea. If the man was passionate about anything, it would be his reputation and his business. Nothing else mattered. Shippou‘s eyes narrowed, the silver-haired idiot was simply too easy to read. He began to wonder as to why he had been fearful of the man in his younger days.

“So you say, but our records indicate that there have been a particular string of accidents related to the release of your new product. If you look closely enough, it affects female users, and generally between the ages of twelve and twenty-three.” Shippou said monotonously. “If you doubt my information, you may leave and check yourself. I must forewarn you though, Akatsune has a very proficient information network, even more so than your own, and we are never wrong.”

Sesshoumaru glared at the insufferable whelp. The child was taunting him, about his own business no less. Marketing had never been a particularly strong point when it came to Sesshoumaru’s business savvy, or to be more specific, the products to market. At any given day, the Taisho could easily calculate the risks of stock, gains and losses of any exchange, extract properties and contracts from even the tightest of fists, and procure any object or title he desired. He could not however, sell a damn cup of lemonade if his life depended on it.

Perhaps it was his naturally intimidating nature or his inability to express a ‘sunny’ disposition, but Sesshoumaru could never make a what would be a ‘legitimate’ sale. He could easily charm anyone into purchasing a product, which was technically legitimate, but as for him going out as a merchandiser, it simply was not possible.

In essence, though Taisho did widely distribute an amazing array of products, he rarely kept track of it. The only things that mattered were maintaining the Taisho name and the increase of profit and capital and the ways of obtain them. As for what the Akatsune heir was describing, it had something to do with some new fat pill or something which the Taisho pharmaceutical branch had recently released. Apparently the pill could cause a body to retain water for an unspecified amount of time, even after the user stopped taking the pill. There had been only a few cases of such an incident so far, but there would be many more once the pill went into wide-distribution.

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes. Though the pill would not cause any serious monetary damage, it would be more than embarrassing. He couldn’t even remember allowing the pharmaceutical department to develop such an ostentatious pill. It had been his opinion that such drugs were only a fad and entirely ridiculous. If people were worried about their weight, they should watch what they ate and exercise, not look for some miracle drug.

Shippou smirked openly. Already he had diverted the man’s attention toward his business and away from Kagome. Getting him out of the house would be more than simple. Sesshoumaru didn’t care for Kagome. He simply wanted to maintain his ‘family honor‘. The red head scowled, a look unbecoming of the young man. As much as he disliked to think negatively about anyone, he hated the man, Taisho Sesshoumaru. What that man had done to his mother was unforgivable.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome slipped soundlessly from her room. She spotted Sango who was sitting on the stairs, but appeared to be staring at a point far off. Her friend’s mind clearly elsewhere, Kagome snuck out toward her brother’s room down the hall. It would be a harder climb down, but if she had started out of her own window, not only would Kikyou have tried to stop her, but the people downstairs would see her easily.

Kagome wasn’t running away. She just wanted some alone time on the shrine grounds. The familiar places and feelings they offered made her feel at home like nothing else. Perhaps some time alone communing with nature would calm her frazzled nerves enough to confront the others in the house. She hoped so. Kagome took a deep, slow breath, and began her graceful descent from her brother’s window.

-:- -:- -:-

Kikyou was smiling widely at the boy she was currently cradling in her arms. He was so adorable. Kikyou hoped that one day, when Inuyasha matured more, that they would have children as well. She had always wanted to be a mother. There seemed to be something so rewarding about seeing something two loving people created grow up, mature, and love them in return.

She frowned suddenly. “Two loving people,” she murmured, then shook her head. Kagome was more than loving enough for two people.

“Huh?” Once again, hauntingly vibrant eyes stared into her.

Kikyou, shaken from her reverie, simply smiled and muttered a “nothing,” to the curious little boy. His eyes were startling. They seemed to be an even blend of Kagome’s expressive blue and his father’s intense gold. The colors mixed to form an eerie, yet beautiful, metallic emerald, which was both clear and stormy. Despite the cause of his birth, Kikyou was sure the child would grow up to be a passionate person, if his eyes alone were anything to tell it by.

“I’m hungry. Will kaa-san be back soon?” Hoshimaru questioned while crossing his legs and studying the carpet fibers intently. The whole room was pink. He wrinkled his nose a little. It was such a girly room.

His mama had left with the assurance that she would be back soon. He sat waiting impatiently for her return and also for the surprise. He loved surprises, but loved them more when he was a part of the surprise. “Kikyou-ba-san?” He looked up at her curiously when he got no response to his previous questions.

“Oh!” Kikyou started. “Sorry.” She grinned sheepishly. “Got lost in thought. I’ll be right back with a plate for you. Wait here and play nice, now.” She said teasingly before standing.

“‘k, Kikyou-ba-san!” Hoshimaru yelled quietly, as to show his enthusiasm, but not give himself away yet to the others in the household.

Kikyou couldn’t hold back her grin. He really was a really sweet child, now if only she could get him to call her something besides “Kikyou-ba-san,” it made her feel old. She was about to traipse down the stairs while lost in thought, but a soft body prevented her. She looked down to see whom she had accidentally kicked. “Sango! Oh, I’m sorry, I wasn’t watching where I was going.” She apologized. “What are you doing on the stairs?”

The younger girl stood slowly. “No harm done. I was waiting for Kagome.” She said.

Kikyou gave her a puzzled look. “But Kagome came out a few minutes ago.”

Sango blinked. “No one has gone down the stairs…” She paled. Thoughts of Kagome jumping from a window and fleeing the shrine flashed vividly through her mind.

Coming to the same conclusion, Kikyou’s eyes widened. Her mind flew to Hoshimaru. “She wouldn’t…!” Suddenly fearful for her imouto’s state of mind, Kikyou raced down the stairs, hot on Sango’s heels.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome stiffened as a rain gutter creaked beneath her heel. She quickly adjusted herself away from the flimsy hold and maneuvered toward a nearby ivy trellis. Balancing her weight between the trellis and her own rather precarious footholds, she made her way to the ground and began to run toward the surrounding forest.

-:- -:- -:-

Sesshoumaru tensed as a strange sound graced his sensitive ears. It was the creaking of metal from somewhere out of the house, but nearby. He slowly lowered his body back down to the couch. His lips thinned as he tried to regain the iron control he had been so well known for, yet the sharp-eyed youth before him had so easily ripped away. Setting his thoughts in order, he realized that he had been sent off topic by the boy. A favor he would gladly reciprocate.

“Speaking of rumors,” Sesshoumaru began, “a rather interesting one has come to my attention concerning you.”

“Oh?” Shippou raised an eyebrow in an excellent mockery of Sesshoumaru’s own expression.

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes. He calmed quickly. Slowly, as if moving through tar, he poured himself a cup of the chill tea and took a small sip.

Shippou smirked. Sesshoumaru was either already undone, or was mocking him, he had a suspicion it was the latter.

Taking his time, Sesshoumaru sat motionless and quiet for a few minutes. Then he placed the cup soundlessly onto the table. “I received a call earlier today from my assistant. It seems that he had received word that you were going form an attempt merge with Kumo Inc. Well, actually, I was not informed who had made the proposition, but the idea was in the air.”

Shippou’s smirk widened. Where was the man going with this. He knew better than for anyone to trust the slimeball known as Onigumo Naraku. After all, it had been that scumbag who had murdered his parents in the first place. Sesshoumaru, with the information at his disposal, should have known this. Was he simply killing time, he wondered.

“I believe it has something to do with marrying your foster mother.”

Shippou paled instantly.

“But I don’t recall you ever being formally adopted. So tell me, who is this ‘foster mother’ of yours?” He asked, figuring it to be Kagome, but wanting confirmation. It would be a terrible thing if Naraku got his filthy hands on his Kagome. Golden eyes narrowed at the boy’s reaction. Though it had not been what he was hoping for, it was something to throw the kid off-track.

Shippou swallowed hard. Naraku knew of Kagome’s existence? That was bad. He had tried very hard to keep the ties between them a secret. He did not want the murder of another of his parents to occur. In fact, the only reason Naraku should have known about Kagome would be the failed engagement with Taisho. That would be easily discarded by Naraku since the sadist would have no use for a failed project.

Wordlessly, the boy stood and ran up the stairs. He had to talk with his okaa-san and warn her. He would not be able to bear it if something happened to her. As he ran up, Sango and Kikyou were bolting down the stairs. The panic evident in their expressions was enough to tell the boy that his mother was no longer upstairs.

Shocked, but appearing impassive, Sesshoumaru was surprised by the sudden fear in Akatsune’s face. If it was anything to go by, he knew that the rumored merger was a lie, but the reaction was something else. At Shippou’s sudden departure, he figured something was wrong.

His sharp eyes caught the two women racing down the steps as Shippou turned and followed them. Sesshoumaru concluded that Kagome was no longer up the stairs. Remembering the sound he had heard before, he realized that she must have climbed out of a window.

Apprehension gripping him more tightly than he could ever remember, he ran out the back door. Kagome had fled!

-:- -:- -:-

Sitting in the lower boughs of the Goshinboku was far more relaxing to Kagome than any vacation. It was before the God Tree where Kagome had her happiest of memories. She closed her eyes wistfully. How she wished she could return to the days of blissful naiveté, before she discovered how useless she was.

Kagome had never had much of an ego, but she always took a small pride in her ability to make others smile, or at least bring them an amount of comfort. She wondered if any of that had been real, or if she had been imagining those smiles. It hurt to think about it.

After a moment, a chill raced down her spine. Her eyes snapped open and fell upon a pair of molten eyes staring up at her. She froze, the feeling of icy dread overcoming her.

-:- -:- -:-

Sesshoumaru had immediately started for the forest. He had known that Kagome had always run toward a forest when something had bothered her. He quickly found her resting in the boughs of the Goshinboku. For a while, all he could do was stare. He could not remember her looking so peaceful.

He watched as she stiffened and opened her eyes to meet his. Scarcely a second had past before she averted her gaze. She stood and moved to a branch behind the trunk, putting the body of the Goshinboku between herself and his gaze.

“Kagome,” he called softly.

Sesshoumaru received no reply, but he could hear the rustling of the foliage as Kagome moved about. He waited for only a moment before continuing. “I want to explain myself. I know apologizing at this point would be meaningless, but I would like you to hear my explanation first. Then I would beg for your forgiveness.” He said quietly, remorse tinting every syllable.

He heard the soft thud of Kagome’s feet landing on the soil. He could not, however, hide his surprise as Kagome came bolting out, running past him. He reached out to try and snag her arm, but fell a few inches short. Reeling on his heels, he ran after her.

-:- -:- -:-

Shippou and the girls were at the well-house where Kagome had been known to hide when she was little, when they spotted Kagome streaking across the shrine grounds. Sesshoumaru was only a few feet behind her. His eyes widened as he saw her disappear down the shrine steps.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome ran down the stairs with all the grace and speed of one who had been raised on the steep steps. She was not nearly as fast as the taller male giving chase on level ground, but on the steps she was a gazelle. No one could match her speed on the descent.

Sesshoumaru had to slow on the steps, or risk breaking his neck. He grimaced as he saw Kagome descend rapidly, and away from him. He was not unbalanced by any means on the stairs, but they were a daunting obstacle due to their steepness and height.

Kagome was already halfway down and Sesshoumaru knew he would never be able to catch her. If only he knew to where she was trying to run. She reached the bottom so quickly, he was only about two-thirds of the way down. His eyes widened when she didn’t slow at all, nor deter her direction. She was running straight into the street! He would never make it in time to stop her.

Heedless of the oncoming traffic, Kagome plowed ahead. As her feet sped over the curb, she was hit sharply from the side. The heavy weight knocking her off her feet and sending her sprawling to the ground, the weight pinning her there. Shocked, Kagome looked up to meet a pair of furious amber eyes.

“ARE YOU TRYING TO GET YOURSELF KILLED?!?!” Inuyasha screamed at the girl. He held her tightly by the shoulders as if trying to shake sense into her.

At Kagome’s bewildered expression, Inuyasha realized that he didn’t want to hear her answer. He had the aching suspicion that she had just tried to kill herself, and he did not want her confirmation of it. “Nevermind.” He snapped before she could answer. He quickly lifted himself off of her and looked up the steps. Near the top were the horrified faces of Kikyou, Sango, and Shippou. Nearing the bottom of the stairs was his own brother who was tirelessly making his way towards them.

Inuyasha frowned. Whatever had happened here, or whatever Sesshoumaru had tried to do, had absolutely fallen around his ears. He scowled, then bent to retrieve the brown paper bag and its scattered contents. He had been sent to do some grocery shopping by Mrs. Higurashi, and in his haste so save her daughter’s life, he had thrown the bag to the side. He frowned again as he noted that some of the more perishable items had indeed perished.

Tossing a mangled orange to the side, Inuyasha grasped Kagome’s hand in his own, and began to lead her back up the steps. She followed him numbly. Inuyasha pushed past his brother, mumbling “It’s probably better if you don’t say anything right now,” when the latter had attempted to speak to Kagome once more.

Shippou and the others met Inuyasha halfway up the stairs. They quickly encircled the girl and stayed that way until she was safely back into the house.

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-