InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Pain of Losing Another ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

Chapter Eight: Four Years Into the Past Part One

Jealousy was an ugly emotion. It ravaged and took over common sense, often when diplomacy was a most needed asset. Luckily enough, Kagome was never overrun by such an emotion. She was too kind and innocent to fall prey to its dark clutches, though many others were not. Unfortunately, sometimes, a person can be too naive and too trusting to realize that perhaps, they should not have so full-heartedly taken all things at face value.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome watched Yura flirt openly with her fiancé. It didn't bother her in the slightest since she knew that he did not return his secretary's affections. Perhaps that wasn't true. It was getting annoying, those victorious smirks Yura would oh so subtly flash in Kagome's direction, as if she had won Sesshoumaru over. Kagome rolled her eyes. If she had not been forced into the situation, she would have welcomed Yura's advances on "her man". But, she and Sesshoumaru had been roped into the engagement, and thus obligated to ‘get to know each other better‘. That lead to them eventually accepting one another, no matter how minutely. The downside was now they were slightly, just slightly mind you, actually caring about each other, to an extent.

Six months ago, Kagome would have readily allowed anyone, no matter how bitchy they were, and even if they were a guy, to take Sesshoumaru off her hands. Sesshoumaru himself would have agreed vice versa. It was simply because, six months ago, they found each other's presence to be absolutely unbearable. However, time passed, and as people are want to, even unwillingly, the pair had become somewhat attached to each other. Now they simply ‘put up’ with one another.

-:- -:- -:-

After many attempts to disengage the clingy female from his person, Sesshoumaru shot his fiancée a warning glance, glaring down the laughter in her eyes. His glare promised her a quick death if she did not correct Yura's misinterpretation of their relationship.

Mouthing the words "you owe me," she strode over to Sesshoumaru's form and looped her arms around his waist, tucking her head in the crook of his neck. "Sesshou-kun?" She asked innocently, completely ignoring the woman who was glaring daggers at her ‘interruption.’ "Can we go now? I'm hungry."

Rolling his eyes at her pathetic excuse, but snatching upon it anyways, he twisted rudely from his secretary. "Yes, we must get going now." He said robotically, trying to blot out the stupidity of the situation from his mind. "Have the Tsuki Tech merger papers on my desk by Monday." He said stoically as he strode out, Kagome still latched around his waist.

Once the doors leading to the floor of his office had closed behind them, Kagome instantly disentangled herself from him, muttering "I feel icky."

Meanwhile, Sesshoumaru raised a superior brow and eyeballed his fiancée with mocking contempt. "'I'm hungry'?" He repeated mockingly. "Childish."

Kagome glared back at him. "You shut up. It got you out of there, didn't it?"

"I would have much rather fended for myself if I had known of your feeble excuse-making skills."

Kagome huffed and crossed her arms, pouting in an unconsciously childishly manner. Secretly, Sesshoumaru found it cute and almost endearing, but he would never voice it aloud. Instead, he simply sneered at her immature actions. "If you have finished your little tantrum, I believe we should get some lunch." He said, while opening the door for Kagome.

Surprised by his unexpected genteel action, Kagome gaped. Sesshoumaru was sorely tempted to lower his head and discover how her petal soft lips tasted beneath his own, but held back. He simply smirked and guided her out the door to his car.

The couple stopped at a casual diner. They had not gone to a formal restaurant since the debacle of their first date. It didn't matter much to Kagome though. She much preferred casual settings to the formality of high living. She was grateful to the Taisho for taking them to her preferred level of eating establishments, and didn't much care if he did for her sake or the sake of salvaging his reputation, lest she make another scene.

-:- -:- -:-

It was when the pair were leaving the diner when it happened. If Kagome hadn't been so startled, she would have found it funny. She had just been pondering the peculiarity of Sesshoumaru's sudden ‘kindness’ when she was bowled over by a masked man, clutching a bag to his chest. A thief! The man's eyes were wide and panicked. Fear dripped off him in torrents. In his adrenaline haze he dropped his bag and snatched up Kagome to use as a hostage. He dragged her into the diner just as the sounds of the sirens approached them.

The other occupants of the diner cleared out quickly as the thief brandished a gun at them. The owner, cook, and a waitress remained behind, trying to calm the man down in to releasing Kagome. Outside, Sesshoumaru was fighting against the current of fleeing diner patrons in an attempt to make it inside the diner to his fiancée. "OUT OF MY WAY!" He roared at the terrified people. They parted for him suddenly, as the immediate fear of his wrath belied their fear of getting shot by the nervous man inside the diner at the moment. He made it as far as laying his hand on the door handle when another hand jerked him backward. He whirled around angrily, seeking the one that would deter him from his goal.

A hard eyed officer stared at the intimidating Taisho coolly. Though a full head shorter than the CEO, the officer maintained his composure in front of the obviously enraged young man. "Sir, if you would please step aside, we can take control of the situation. We'll take the utmost care in seeing to that your girlfriend will come out unharmed."

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes. The officer was simply doing his job. But there was something about the man Sesshoumaru didn't like. "She is not my 'girlfriend.'" He hissed lowly, his golden eyes sliding down to the officer's nametag. "But you had best see to it that she does 'come out unharmed,' Officer Tanaka." He stepped back from the entrance and watched as the other officers surrounded the building. His eyes could peer through the lightly tinted windows of the diner, clearly seeing what was going on inside.

The employees of the diner had remained within the building, trying to help the hostage. Kagome was being held, the robber's arm draped across her neck and chest holding her shoulder, pressing her against his chest.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome could hear his wild frantic breaths as he panted wildly against her ear. She winced at his foul breath that blew across her. Kami, it was rancid and clung to her like high humidity. But as far as she could tell, he was far from malicious, just desperate and scared. Taking a calming breath herself, she laid her hands on his restraining arm, making him jump. So far she had been unresisting except for the tilt of her head away from his breath, so her movements had startled him. She ran her fingers up his arm. "It's ok." She said soothingly. "Don't be afraid."

"Sh-shut up!" The man cried, waving his gun erratically at the diner employees who were still in the area. "Y-you be qu-quiet!" He tried to command his hostage. Somewhere, along the way of dragging her into the diner, and fighting the crowds of diner patrons, he had lost his mask.

"It's alright." Kagome said softly. "We're not going to hurt you. And I can see from here that you're gun isn't loaded."

"W-what?" The man's eyes widened. "What are you talking about!! Of course it's loaded!! It's..." He seemed desperate in his belief that the gun was loaded and working. "I have to-!!"

"Even if it was loaded, the safety's on. If you shoot that gun, the only thing coming out of it is a clicking noise." Kagome cut him off evenly. "Now, calm down." He wasn't a typical robber. There was something amiss about him. He was too jittery. Remembering her ‘capture’ closely, she realized that it wasn't until after he had seen Sesshoumaru that he had grabbed her. Was he gauging hostage options? No, there was more to it. "Why don't you tell us why you're holding me hostage?"

The man's eyes flicked around wildly. Beads of sweat flowed down his bare face. His appearance was gaunt with wild brown hair. "I have to!" He barked out, clearly frightened.

Kagome's brows furrowed. "Why?"

"He'll hurt them! He said I had to do this!" The man cried, still whipping around a semi-harmless firearm.

Ah, so that was it. This man was threatened into doing this. "Ok, calm down." She soothed. "It's alright. I understand. I'll cooperate, but first, I want you to calm down, and put down your gun. You don't have to let go of it, just make it so that it's non-threatening, ok?"

"You'll cooperate? You promise?" He asked, eyes wide with hope.

Kagome nodded sincerely.

The man complied, almost relieved that someone was in control of the situation.

When the man was calmed, Kagome looked up to the kind diner employees who had stuck around, trying to help her out. She flashed them a look of gratitude before kindly asking them to leave. They were hesitant, but Kagome assured them that she would be fine, and they would get this situation straightened out. The ‘thief’ himself remained strangely silent throughout the exchange. Eventually, the employees conceded, and left, but not before wishing her good luck.

Once they were alone, Kagome turned to look her captor in the eye, and smiled. He was still holding onto her, but his grip had lessened some what. "So, where do we go from here?" She asked innocently.

"Out back." He muttered. "He said that I had to take you out back, and give you to him."

"We're surrounded by cops, shielded by only a piece of transparent glass. Everyone will see you. Are you sure you want to take that risk of leaving the building?" Kagome asked. She didn't want to have to take unnecessary risks, but at the same time, she didn't want the man to get hurt.

"He's got my brothers, I don't have a choice!"

"Alright then. Lead the way, I won't struggle."

-:- -:- -:-

Tanaka watched the scene with studious eyes. The employees had left, and the hostage seemed complacent. It was almost too easy. Then the theif proceeded to move to the back, taking his hostage with him. She went without a struggle. He bent down to his mic. "Target is on the move." He reported to the other officers. "Repeat, target is on the move. He's taking his hostage with him and seems to be moving toward the rear exit. Proceed with caution, I shall engage from the rear."

Shooting Sesshoumaru a wary glance, Tanaka hurried to the back.

-:- -:- -:-

Sesshoumaru paid little attention to Tanaka. He was focused on the movements of the man within the diner, the man who was currently holding his fiancée. He noticed that she never once seemed to struggle, but rather she spoke calmly to the man. She now seemed in control of the situation, yet he knew that the officers would not observe it as he had. They did not know Kagome well enough. To them, she was just another incompetent citizen. He would have to intervene.

He made his way to the rear of the diner.

-:- -:- -:-

Kagome was surprised. The back of the diner in fact lead to a hidden alleyway that was absent of any officers. She found it strange since she was sure that she had heard the order for all entrances and exits to have been secured.

The ‘robber’ sighed in relief. “Just like he said.” He muttered.

Kagome gave him a puzzled look. So, he was supposed to meet someone back here, perhaps? Either way, she needed to get them both out of here. The first step, was to get him to trust her a little more. “What’s you name?” She asked, making idle chatter. She didn’t expect an answer, but had decided to just start talking and maybe he’d relax some more.

“Ryoukan.” He answered. His eyes darted about the alleyway, searching.

Slightly startled, she nodded. “My name’s Kagome.”

“I know.” Another abrupt, concise response.

She paused for a moment. “You were hired to kidnap me, and make it look like a hostage situation?”

“Yes.” His grip tightened on her for a moment, fearing that his admission would cause her to flee, but Kagome made no move.

“Why?” She wondered aloud.

“Because he’s a disposable unit.” A sharp voice answered coldly.

Ryoukan all but leapt into the air, his arm constricting about Kagome so tightly that it forced the air from her lungs. He spun about wildly, spying another figure leering at him from the shadows.

“Hand her over, Ryoukan.” The other man ordered. His voice made Kagome shiver. That man was evil, she could feel it. Was he the one who was forcing Ryoukan to do this?

“Goshinkishi!" Ryoukan shouted, surprised. Then, "my brothers! I need to know they’re safe!”

“Hand her over.” The shadowed man repeated, the tone icy.

The poor man trembled. “My brothers! Tell me that they’ve been freed.” He shrieked, fear lacing every syllable.

The other man tutted. “So noisy. Mustn’t attract attention to ourselves.” He murmured. A silenced gunshot rang out.

Ryoukan fell heavily onto Kagome, his arms sliding limply to his sides. She gasped and staggered under his weight as Ryoukan groaned. His eyes glassed over, staring at her. “I’m sorry.” He grunted out, tipping to one side and clutching his chest. A crimson stain had blossomed across his shirt. Kagome held the unfortunate man up, disregarding the fact that his blood was smearing onto her own clothes.

“Ryoukan? Oh Kami, no…” Kagome paled. “You monster.” She hissed, glaring at the shadowed man angrily. “He was harmless! Why did you do that?” She clutched at Ryoukan, knowing that she was the only one who would mourn him. His brothers had probably already been killed. The shadowed man seemed the type to make empty promises.

“Target struggled, his gun misfired.” The man said calmly, stepping out of the shadows. He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped down the silenced gun he held and switched it with the one Ryoukan had held. “That’s all the reports will say. Don’t worry your pretty little head about it.”

Kagome recognized the firearm he removed from Ryoukan as police issue. She looked into the face of the man who was now holstering his weapon. It was the officer from the front of the diner! The one who had been talking with Sesshoumaru. She noted his nametag. “Officer Tanaka! What are you doing?”

He ignored her question, grabbing her arm roughly. “Let’s go, we need to move before they discover that something is amiss.”

“I’m not going anywhere!” Kagome shrieked, kicking Tanaka in the shins. “Let me go!”

The man merely grunted, but kept his hold. He whipped out his handcuffs and skillfully cuffed her hands behind her back, then slammed her into a wall. “Shut up.” He hissed dangerously into her ear. He used one arm to press against her back, forcing her front into the wall painfully. He stood behind her, gripping her cuffed arms brutally. “If I weren’t under orders to bring you to the boss unharmed, I wouldn’t mind shooting a few holes into you before I turned you over to him. Now move!” He shoved her ahead of him roughly.

She stumbled. “Bastard.” She gritted out. “You won’t get away with this.”

Tanaka chuckled. “Foolish bitch. You should worry more about yourself. You’re not going to a happy place. And believe me, once you get there, your beloved fiancé will soon be following.”

Kagome stiffened. “What does he have to do with anything?”

“Everything, my dear.” Tanaka gripped the back of the collar of Kagome’s shirt, pulling so that it constricted about her throat. “I would like your cooperation in this though. It would make things so much more pleasant.” He gave a mocking smile.

“I’ll never cooperate!”

The man swiftly drew his gun and swung the butt of it against her skull. He hit her hard enough to break the skin and cause pain, but not enough to render her unconscious.

Kagome cried out as she was struck, falling to the ground.

Tanaka crouched in front of her. “You know, I heard you have a younger brother, an older sister, a mother, and a grandfather, all living in a quaint little shrine, right here in Tokyo.” He said conversationally, looking thoughtful.

“A right, mighty shame it would be if something awful happened to them. It would probably end up in the reports as an unsolved case though. There are so many unsolved cases every year. Your family‘s murder case would probably just go into a box and collect dust in the precinct archives.” He grinned wickedly, enjoying the tortured expression that crossed her face. He laughed maliciously. “You are too simple, Kagome. Always looking out for others. It will only cause you pain you know.” He hauled her to her feet by one cuffed arm. The cuffs bit into her wrists, drawing blood.

Silent tears tracked themselves down her cheeks. “Leave them alone! I don’t care if you sick bastards take me, but you leave them all out of this!”

“Are you going to be a good girl and cooperate then?”

Something cold plummeted to her stomach. Kagome felt sick, but she wouldn‘t put her family into any danger if she could help it. She nodded.

-:- -:- -:-

Sesshoumaru had stalked to the back of the diner, but not before meeting with much resistance.

A line of fresh-faced young officers had come racing toward him as he tried to make his way to the back. Adamantly, they pushed him backwards, trying to stave him off from the ‘danger’. They had been ordered to relocate to the front as their target was on the move.

Sesshoumaru found it highly odd as he distinctly recalled Officer Tanaka ordering the men to the rear. Growling in frustration, he broke through the line of young officers, ignoring their shouts. He had to get to Kagome. There was something horribly wrong with her ‘hostage situation.’

-:- -:- -:-

Tanaka rammed the butt of his gun into her cheek, sending Kagome sprawling to the floor. “That was for struggling, bitch.” He spat. He reached down and snatched up her arm, twisting it painfully behind her. She gasped and bit her cheek, refusing to scream for him. He only grinned.

In a practiced move, Tanaka swung Kagome’s arm out from his hold, twisting in at an unnatural angle, and pulling with brutal force. Because of the handcuffs, more pressure was exerted on her limbs, and her whole body bent strangely. There was a sickening pop. He took great pleasure as her face contorted and a shriek found its way past her lips. He slammed her into the wall by her dislocated shoulder, smirking as a familiar crunching sound followed by her scream of agony filled the alleyway. “And that, my dear, was for kicking me. Now, we shall go, ne?”

He pulled her toward him by her uninjured arm, fully ignoring the white of bone poking out from her other arm. Kagome was dizzy with pain, barely registering her abuser. All she knew what pain and fear in that moment. Her body trembled with fear of his touch and his strength. He had broken her bones so easily.

She gave a hacking cough. Her chest heaved weakly. There was pain with every breath she took. Stumbling, she tried to keep up with the madman of a police officer as he forcefully dragged her behind him.

She made it two agonized steps before collapsing onto the man. He only snarled at her weakness. “Stupid bitch,” he muttered before looping and arm around her middle to drag her.

Tanaka glared at the woman hatefully. How useless she was. He didn’t understand her importance, but his boss thought she was valuable. However, all he saw was an annoyance. Sure she was pretty, but so were the girls under his boss’s employ. In fact, they were prettier than she. So, why was she necessary? Was it because she was that Taisho’s girlfriend? He didn’t care. So far, his number one priority was to get her to his boss, relatively unscathed.

“You know,” he said, almost cheerfully. “You’re only a tool. We all are, all tools of big business. Taisho is using you for status. Just think of how the headlines would read, ‘Billionare Giant seeks hand of penniless Shrinemaiden.’ Ha! The public would eat it up. Once he’s done with you, he’ll drop you like a stone, if he hasn‘t already.” He chuckled. “Just think of all the other girls that are throwing themselves at him as we speak. He’s probably banging a good lot of them while he’s working oh so hard bringing home the bacon at the office. You’re much better off coming to the boss, with me. He might not treat you like that Taisho, but I’m sure it’ll hurt a lot less when he dumps you when you’re finished.”

A wild smile was plastered across Tanaka’s lips as he felt Kagome stiffen at his words. He wasn’t exactly lying, as that was what he believed. But at the same time, having that heart-shattering news delivered so frankly to her was sure to make her more complacent for his delivery. He was convinced that, no matter how the Taisho and the girl acted, they did care for each other quite a bit.

A slip of white slid into his vision. Before Tanaka had a chance to register the white, he was sent reeling.

Sesshoumaru didn’t bother to look at the fallen officer. His attention focused on the woman he cradled gently in his arms. Silent tears had streaked down her face, but she did her best to not cry out. She was holding her left arm at an awkward angle, and it sickened him to see that it had been both dislocated and broken. A white hot anger coursed through him as he held her trembling body against his own.

He noted that she was going numb with shock. Gingerly, Sesshoumaru lay Kagome on the ground, propping her up against the wall as comfortable as he could make her. He strode purposefully over toward Tanaka, who was just regaining his feet. Tanaka glared maliciously, swiping at the blood that was dribbling down his chin.

Tanaka spat, mildly surprised to see a glint of white from one of his own teeth go bouncing along the alley floor. “Heh, fancy meeting you back here, Taisho-san. And somehow, I had it in my head that you were a good law abiding citizen. Or is that just what you want the public to know?” He grinned, eyes flashing madly. “Look at you now, raising your hand against an officer of the law!”

Sesshoumaru ignored his taunts. His eyes only hardened at the man who had dared to harm what was his. His fists clenched at his sides. Eyes narrowed to golden slits, he closed in on the grinning madman. Tanaka only stood, swaying slightly. He gave an off-balanced lunge, which Sesshoumaru dodged easily. The Taisho was on Tanaka before the officer could blink, delivering a swift kick to the head, knocking him unconscious. He toyed with the idea of snapping the man’s neck. He could easily claim ‘self-defense,’ but he opted against it.

He would much rather discover the person whom Tanaka worked under, and that was much easier found if Tanaka was alive. So he left the unconscious man in a pile of garbage and sprinted back to Kagome.

She was drifting in and out of consciousness.

He scooped her tiny body against his, rocking her gently as she shivered. He ran to the front, alerting the other young officers of what had transpired and called for an ambulance. They now rest on the curb, awaiting the arrival of the paramedics.

“Se-Sesshoumaru?” Kagome asked uncertainly, her blue eyes teary and unfocused.

“Yes, I’m here.” He replied softly, trying to reassure her.

She buried her face in his shirt. “So, sorry…” She murmured. “They were doing it ‘cause of you. To get to you…”

“I see.” He tried to conceal the rising anger in his voice. How dare those bastards lay a hand on her. She was innocent! But…he knew that it was because she was close to him. He had expected something to happen, but he had not thought that she would be as hurt, nor that it would hurt him so much. Somehow, she had become so much more important to him that he had realized.

Sesshoumaru bent his head to lay his chin on her head. “It’s alright. I won’t let them hurt you again. It’s my fault. But I promise you, that I won’t let anyone hurt you. “

Kagome jerked her head away suddenly. Somehow, Tanaka’s sharp words had come fluttering back to her. “You know…” She began quietly. “You don’t have to marry me. It was something set up by our parents. We can break it off anytime, before either one of us gets hurt.” Her eyes were misty as she tried to look him in the eyes.

Unconsciously, Sesshoumaru tightened his grasp possessively about her body. “No.” He replied simply.

“It would be easier. I know you don’t want to do this.” Kagome looked down.

A muscle in his jaw tightened. “I’ll decide what I want, Kagome.”

Kagome flinched. It was strange to hear her name fall from his lips.

He stared at her suspiciously. “What did that man tell you?”

She didn’t reply.

Sesshoumaru sighed. “It doesn’t matter. He lied. That is the kind of man he was. Don’t pay any heed to his words. If he said anything about me, don’t trust him. I won’t hurt you.”

Kagome relaxed slightly. “Okay.” She leaned back into his arms and allowed her eyes to shut. She wanted to trust him. She felt so right laying in his embrace. Kagome almost smiled. If she didn’t know better, she would say that somehow, she had begun to care about him a lot more than as just a friend.

[End Part One]

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-