InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Pavee's ❯ Salve ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Disclaimer: InuYasha belongs to RT. Some of this story is based on the film Into the West

Chapter 1

The western Irish Sea glowed under the midnight full moon. The usual rough water was calm and relaxing, the ripples dancing with the moonray’s.

A white horse trotted out of the water, its long mane reflecting on the moonlight making it glow. The way the hair flows out looked as that of an Arab horse.

The horse’s head flicked up and down and trotted sideways in delight of the water around his hooves, the wind in his face and hair, the moonlight giving his beauty as more appearance of a unicorn.

The wind changed direction, and the horse stopped his dance, and swiftly turned into a gallop the way the wind was going. He had something to do... to bring his family back to the way of the travellers...

********

Kagome stood in the ‘tinker’ camp that was actually a dump yard behind a couple flats of Dublin. A small bonfire blazed in the middle of the site, and other travellers settled around in their caravans, small children were playing in the abandoned cars and riding their horses. Kagome hated the way the world had treated her and her family. The council made the garbage bins their caravan parks. Not to worry though... they will be gone in a few hours.

Kagome and her grandpa, Kenji Higurashi, have been travelling in their horse drawn red caravan. Their wagon was a ledge wagon (A/N: it’s quite a large red wagon. Link for picture here http://gypsywaggons.co.uk/varsuk4.htm number 141). The red walls were painted with golden patterns of flowers, dogs and one white horse was painted above the door. Inside it was large for a caravan.
Inside was a few cupboards painted with green and gold patterns on the doors. Like with every other traveller wagon was a stand with a bed on top and draws below it. Since there was only one bed, Kagome would get the spare sleeping bag and sleep on the floor, which didn’t bother her at all.

Kagome always loved her grandpa’s caravan. Before her father’s death, her family had a large green showman’s wagon with gold vertical lines all round its walls and a bage coloured wheels underneath it. Her grandpa always had the red ledge wagon.

But after her father died, things changed....

She sighed as she watched her grandpa prepare their black and white Drum horse (a type of gypsy horse) Petsha. Petsha had a long white mane and tail and his coat was piebald though it looked more brown then black. His hooves were surrounded by waves of white hair, matching his mane and giving him a unique, but beautiful look.

Petsha was getting old in years. Tiny little bits grey began to show on his face. Kagome love the horse ever since she was a little girl and would always want to read him the second she saw him.

Kagome groaned in annoyance as her raven black hair blew in face. She was quite a beautiful young girl. She had cute stormy grey eyes and a small face with her lips, though at the moment in a frown, always carried a hint of a smile. She wasn’t very tall but her curves matched her small frame, attracting quite a few men. But Kagome always turned them down. She wasn’t looking for someone that like her looks and not her 16 year-old personality.

But now was not the time to think about boys.

She saw her grandpa struggle with the reins. She called over to him to that she was coming over to help only that she nearly tumbled over from a force that bashed into her leg.

“Salve (Hi/ hello) Kagome!”

Kagome turned to find the face of her younger brother Souta who had ran to her and bashed into her leg, but it didn’t face him. Souta’s face was similar to his sister’s; expect his eyes were chocolate brown. His short hair was dark brown, and his face was one of those cute 7 year old small faces.

Kagome smiled and hugged him.

“Hi Souta. How are things going?”

Grandpa Kenji noticed his grandson and greeted him. Souta ran over to hug him before asking,

“Grandpa, have you and sis come to live with us?”

Kenji smiled before replying “Oh no” He indicated to the flats. “It’s too high for me up there”

Souta turned to his sister about to ask her the same question, but was cut off when he saw their mother came over.

Kagome almost gasped in shock. Her mother was not the woman she once knew.

Michie Higurashi was pale faced and her short hair was beginning to lose its youth. Her body looked thin and her arms looked like sticks.

Kagome could only hope her mother wasn’t going suicidal.

Michie hugged her daughter and her father-in-law and began a conversation with him while Kagome was telling Souta of their travels.

She was surprised when he said

“I miss going on the road sis. It’s not fair. I don’t like the settle people. The other kids are mean to me at school and calling me ‘tinker’. Why can’t I study at home the way I used to?”

Kagome felt sorry for her brother to go through the name calling. Although they have faced name calling before, but when living in the city, it can be worse.

At sundown, Kenji called for Kagome they were leaving. She hugged her brother and mother before sitting next to her grandpa in front of the door of the wagon. Kenji twirled the reins and they began their journey on the road again.

A few minutes later when they were out of Dublin Kagome’s curiosity finally took over.

“Grandpa, where are we going again?”

Her Grandpa smiled at her as his eyes meet hers.

“We’re going to the West Coast”

West Coast? That’s quite away from here. But I haven’t been there for Years!

Kagome smiled warmly at her Grandfather and continued to look over Petsha’s nodding head.

**********

InuYasha surveyed his bookshop once more. Most of the books were old and tattered but also showed their old history. He sighed. Last fortnight there was a break in and someone stole two books based on ancient artefacts.
Because of his half-demon instincts, he was able to track down the thief and get the books back. The Garda police took care of everything after that.

Now his broken windows were fixed and he finally agreed to get a burglar alarm. He didn’t get one in the first place because he didn’t want to wake up on the floor in the middle of the night with the alarm buzzing in his head. Besides who would want these old books anyway. Well he was wrong....

In one of the books it contained information of an ancient jewel able to grant any wish and it also depended on the holder of the jewel.

InuYasha sighed once more before opening the shop. The shop has been in his family for years but after his parents died and his older half-brother refused it, InuYasha decided to take over instead, seeing has to how much his mother loved it. But his family never really lived in the city. They were once travellers.

However his family moved away from that road and began a new life in the city and they became rich in business. InuYasha still missed the old way, running in the wind, travelling over the country etc.

But he was also happy in the city too; he just didn’t know which he preferred.

Because his family was mostly youkai, the demons from the council had them come forward. The conversation between InuYasha’s father and the leader of the council’s conversation was kept secret from him but he didn’t think much about it until after his death.

The council have asked InuYasha to find ‘the one with power of purity’ whatever that meant.

InuYasha unlocked the door and returned to his desk. Because he his half-demon, InuYasha didn’t have many friends.

However he is a handsome hanyou. There are some born ugly, while others were born with beauty. At the moment he only had his beautiful silver hair and golden amber eyes showing, but under his concealment ring he had two dog ears atop his head and claws sprouting from his fingers. On his side was a katana in sheath, Tessaiga that once belonged to his father.

Whenever people saw him in his true form they would used to say “Monster” “filthy hanyou” and so on. This is why he hardly trusted anyone with his life. That and the fact no one would expect him. After he joined the demon council, though he still gets discrimination, but it was better than it was before.

He was brought back to Earth when the bell above the door ringed and the last person he wanted to see entered the shop. The pug faced old man walk towards InuYasha in big giant steps with a wicked grin on his face. InuYasha fought back the urge to punch him in the face, but he said to himself he was better than that.

Instead InuYasha kept his cool and spoke in a calm voice but with the hint of venom as well,

“What do you want now, Mr. Bastard”

“That’s Mr. Baltard to you” the man replied quite angrily. That was his name, Mr Baltard. Because InuYasha didn’t like the guy, he changed his name to bastard instead, out of a joke. He just enjoyed annoying the old man.

“Now InuYasha, you know what I want”

Ah here we go...

“I told you Mr. Bastard, this shop” he tapped the table with his finger as he said “isn’t...for...sale” he bashed the table after he said his bit.

“Oh... come on, a half demon like you shouldn’t be given these sort jobs. And the income you’re getting...what do you use it on huh? Do you use it to buy dog treats? Hmm? Big pupp-“ He was cut off as InuYasha’s anger finally took over his calm mood and slammed Mr.Baltard against the wall with a grip on his throat.

Mr. Baltard was now quivering in fear as InuYasha’s eyes were glowing between amber and red.

“Call me a puppy again; you won’t have a voice again”. His voice was deep and groggy now but as InuYasha regained himself, his voice returned to normal. He let the cowering man go, and watched him run out of the shop shouting

“I can have the police on you!”

“Just you try it” InuYasha yelled back. Of course he won’t be done. Mr. Baltard said it before but he didn’t go to the Garda police at all. Even if he did the demon council would cover for him, half demon or not.

Mr Baltard was after the shop for years, mostly because of the money he gets from both the customers and his brother’s business. He didn’t why his brother sent some money but shrugged it off since the money is helping him.

InuYasha gave a deep breath before returning to his desk.

********
A week later.

Grandpa Kenji was gathering seaweed from the rocks early the next morning. He sometimes made sushi for he and his granddaughter have Japanese blood.

Just as he was about to walk back up the cliff, he heard soft plodding of hooves in the sand behind him. A white Arab horse came galloping towards him, slowing into a trot before stopping to look at him.

Kenji looked at the animal’s eyes. For some reason they looked familiar. He shook that off and decided to step forward to stroke the horse.

The horse took one more stare then shook his head before cantering off. Kenji watched him trot towards the cliff and thought,

I wonder if it could be the legend...

Kenji retuned to wagon. Kagome was asleep on the bed as Kenji was up all night guiding the horse to the West.

Before he went to ready the reins of Petsha, he noticed that the white horse stood back at the spot on the beach where he first stopped to stare.

Kenji waved the reins and Petsha started off in a trot away from the coast. The white horse looked at the retreating wagon before with final nod of his head, cantered to catch up with them.

To be continued

A/N: not much of the plot yet just the opening.

Anyway please review love you all
Till next time