InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Princess Bride ❯ Miroku's Past and Well Planned Revenge ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Writer's Corner:

You love me, you really love me! * tear tear * Thank you all who have reviewed (You know who you are, if not I'll email you and shower you with praise :P)

Now, we're getting close to the sword-fighting scene… Well, it's not going to be a sword-fighting scene, exactly… More like a… well… I don't know what you could call it

Be prepared and please review and tell me what you think!

Previously:

"If that youkai makes it to the top, you know what to do," He stated, tossing his slave a staff with rings of gold on the end. "If he falls, leave him to rot in hell."

Miroku nodded, his fingers gripping his all too familiar staff. With this weapon of destruction, he was unstoppable. He had trained day and night with it and was thoroughly used to any situation he might have encountered. He watched as Kagome, Sango and Sesshomaru faded into the distance, the hanyou Naraku leading the way. He was ready for this youkai. Naraku's plan would be flawless. It was either that, or loose his chance at freedom.

Freedom… The word had a special twist… It was what he had never known… Free… To be free to love and hate… To be free to take Sango and marry her… To…

Miroku shook his head. He needed to concentrate for the upcoming battle. He peered over the edge of the cliff, seeing that the youkai had come closer. He was dressed in strange clothing, a cloak and thick deerskin pants. His face was hidden and he could not very well make out any major detail about him. All he had to do now was wait… Wait for the youkai to make it to the top… Then, he would battle…

~*~

Chapter Eight:

A half an hour passed and Miroku was still sitting, shining his staff with the torn part of his kimono. He let out an impatient sigh and stood, once again leaning over to look at the youkai who was now only feet from the top. "Um, it might be a bit to ask but could you hurry it up?"

The youkai whose face was unidentifiable looked up, his eyes bewildered. "Why?" He asked, his annoyance and wonder evident in his gruff tenor voice.

"Well, since you haven't fallen yet, I'm supposed to kill you when you get up here. If you want, I could help you, my friend," Miroku explained. He hid his staff behind his back, observing his approaching opponent.

"Well, I don't know. Why would I accept your help if you're just going to kill me, friend?" The stranger replied, slightly amused but all the same sounding irritated and aloof.

"Hm, good question…" The young man muttered, his hands going to hide in his sleeves as he looked down at the youkai. "Well, since you are now only an arms reach away, if I promised not to kill you would you accept my assistance?"

"I've only been able to trust one person in my who whole life and it sure as hell wasn't you. Sorry, I can't help you. You'll just have to wait until I get up there which might take a while, seeing that my arms and legs have cramped in this position," came the strained response. Miroku sighed. He wanted to get this battle on. He was craving the fight.

"Is there anything else I can do to make you trust me?" Miroku asked, his persistence winning a low growl from the stranger who was gripping the Cliffs of Death as they spoke back and forth.

"Nothing that I can think of," was the blunt and tired response. Miroku shook his head, hoping that wouldn't have to come to this.

"I swear, with all of my heart, on the grave of my dear sweet mother Koharu that I will not kill you unless we wage in battle," He gripped his fists, anger welling up in his chest as memories and residences of bitterness resurfaced. He saw her as she was murdered. He saw the helpless and betrayed look in her eyes when her blood was spilled all over the ground and yet; he was powerless to help her.

His gaze now shifted to the youkai who was at the moment observing him. After a pregnant silence between the two of them, the stranger nodded. "You'll have to pull me up, I need to stretch my joints." Miroku smiled and reached down, yanking with all of his strength when he felt the youkai grip his offered hands. "Thanks," came the reply as the mysterious demon stretched and popped his joints back into place. He leaned back and his lower back snapped, letting out a powerful crack. "Oooh…" He mumbled. "That's going to hurt tomorrow. Now then," The youkai turned to Miroku, looking slightly fatigued but stood in a battle stance anyway. "You said something about a battle?"

"Would you like to rest for a bit? Now that you are up here, I see that I'm not in that much of a hurry," Seeing his opponent shrug and sit down, he joined him on the ground, leaning back on his elbows. After another uncomfortable silence, Miroku cleared his throat, drawing the stranger's attention back to him. "By any chance you wouldn't happen to have strange but beautiful blue shapes up and down your arms would you?"

The youkai next to him blinked a few times. "That's a really strange way to start talking to someone that you don't know… But, since you asked," The stranger rolled up his sleeves up to his elbows, turning them in all directions, revealing firm and toned flesh, but not the blue shapes Miroku was talking about. He nodded to his future opponent, resting his chin on his hand.

"I'm sorry about that it's just, my mother was slaughtered by a youkai with strange blue markings and I've been out to avenge and get revenge," He chuckled lightly, feeling sheepish. His eyes looked over at his future opponent's, seeing that he might actually be listening and continued on. "I loved my mother. She was all that I had. When I was nine years old, I remember her starting to court a youkai with those strange blue markings. I had bad feelings about him from the start but, to please my mother, I went along with his schemes. I respected him but something about him always had me on my guard. He knew I was always watching him. To try and `strengthen' our bond because he was planning on marrying my mother, he taught me to defend myself and attack with this staff," he held up the staff that had been sitting in his lap. "He had one of his own and naturally, he was much better than I but that did not stop me from wanting to be rid of him. One night, the adults assumed I was sleeping but I was peeking in on their conversation and I heard him tell her that the only way he would wed her is if she sent me to another family. Naturally, my mother refused to part with me, and the youkai was furious. His rage took hold and there was a positively terrifying red gleam in his eyes when he slit her throat, her blood splashing all over the room. I was stunned but I quickly went to grab my staff and challenged him, hoping to put him in his place. Where he belonged. In hell."

"Let me guess. He beat you without even trying," The stranger said with an ironic hint in his voice. Miroku nodded, letting out a sigh of shame. "I can see scars and the imperfections in your joints from where you were cut and from where bones were broken."

"How can you-"

"I'm a youkai. I can see these things," His opponent chuckled. Miroku stood, stretching slightly and inhaling deeply. "So, you're been in the revenge business. What are you planning to do make him have a painfully satisfying death?"

"When I see him, I'll draw my staff and make this face," He placed his staff in front of him, his body poised and ready for any sudden movement. His face was solemn and intense; his violet eyes were narrowed. If his opponent would have been a woman, the look in his eyes could have been desire or seduction. "Then, I will say, `I am Miroku, son of Koharu, the woman whose heart and life you stole. Prepare to die a slow and agonizingly painful death while the satisfaction plays across my face for only your eyes. Come. Attack me." He laughed along with the stranger. "I certainly hope my statement is true. It took me a while to ponder that up while I have been training in secret for all of these years."

"I see. Well, I suppose I'm ready to fight when you are," He finished, reaching up his hand and Miroku helped him to his feet. "I hope you find that bastard someday. He deserves what's coming to him." Miroku's opponent stretched once more before cracking his knuckles.

"You are a very good listener. I am sorry that I will have to end your profession at this time," Miroku stated, his mouth forming into a confident smirk as his staff when into position.

"You are a smooth talker. I can't wait to see what you've got," The youkai replied just as cheekily, his own mouth perking at one side as his eyes flashed with anticipation.

"Attack," Miroku cried.

Ending Writer's Corner:

Lo siento (Sorry) for the cliffhanger ending and not putting the fight scene in here! I guess I put Miroku's past in here beforehand and, you know how writing can be. I PROMISE! NEXT CHAPTER THEY WILL FIGHT! (Oh yeah! Did you like Miroku's line? That's instead of, `Hallo. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die… That is my favvvvorite part. Tee hee :P)

Do you guys like what I did with Miroku's past? I know it's a little different but different is good right?