InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Protector of Her Heart ❯ Lady Sango ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 13: Lady Sango
 
The moon shone brightly overhead as Inuyasha continued his fast pace, not having stopped once as he continued running across the empty land. While he ran, he gently sniffed the air, a peaceful scent filling his senses. I'm close…I should be able to see it…
 
Coming over a rise, while the moon lit the small objects below, the hanyou could clearly see his objective. There it is! Down below, there was a large crack in the earth; a wide crevice that stretched for miles; even he could not see the end. Across the canyon was a small, old looking wooden bridge, which despite its rickety appearance, Inuyasha knew held up well.
 
This was the border between the Midlands and the Human Lands, and it was said long ago when first establishing the borders of the lands, a demon settled the dispute by creating this long fissure to divide the two lands. It worked, since the border remained there today, despite the constant small battles by demons trying to increase their land.
 
A soft wind blew from the direction of the Midlands, carrying a scent that Inuyasha recognized from his childhood. The scent was peaceful, and calming, carrying the sweet smell of many wildflowers, it was one scent that he could have never forgotten, and had also expected never to smell again.
 
But on the wind, he could just barely smell Kagome's faint scent. There was no doubt the dragon had taken her this way, but it had been five days, and it would be another five until he reached the Demon Lands, and then…worry flooded his heart, because he knew, somehow or another, Kagome would have to have some food to stay alive, but how could she, when she was kidnapped?
 
Dawdling here was only wasting more time, so Inuyasha took off once more, rushing across the land between him and the bridge, ignoring the small border tavern, and crossing over the bridge. Once he set foot on the soft green earth on the other side, it was very clear he was in another country, and not just by scent alone.
 
The night waned as he continued to travel, and as the sun came up, he began to see once more the land he had lived, long ago. Sometime in the morning, he passed an ancient stone structure, run down now, when it had been beautiful centuries earlier. Inuyasha knew it was the old palace, where the monarchs had lived before the demons had rebelled and brought down the kings of the Midlands. Even his nose could pick up the faint smell of old splendor. He was very young when the rebellion had happened, and he couldn't remember very well what the lands had been like when there had still been a king.
 
But he knew that when there was a king, there were no attacks made weekly by demons or by humans, terrorizing villages who just wanted to live in peace. The land had not faded into poverty, leaving all of the remaining population just poor villagers trying to get by. Life was better for them when someone was there, looking after the people instead of leaving them to fend for themselves.
 
Someday, it'll get straightened out, he thought, passing the castle by and entering a small, dark forest.
 
Sometime later, he passed near a village, and paused for a moment, memories of his old life coming back to him. When he was young, he was the only hanyou in his village, but because both demons and humans lived in the Midlands, together, he had been accepted for the only time in his life.
 
And as he glanced at the people of this village, he saw mostly humans, one demon couple walking the street as well, and even a small little girl that looked like she might be a hanyou. Inuyasha was nearly awestruck as he saw these people, living together happily, without fear or anger. And as the hanyou girl laughed and played with her white puppy, he knew this was the real reason why demons had rebelled and had brought down the country; both the Demon and Human Lands couldn't understand this, humans and demons living together. In peace.
 
Inuyasha's mother had loved his father and him because of her upbringing in this country; and she loved him as well, and never considered him an abomination. To her, and the people of his village, he was just a small child, nothing more. While looking at the little girl, who looked to be a cat hanyou because of the very pointed, black ears on her head, his heart went out to her, hoping that this child wouldn't ever have to leave this place, this peaceful place where she could live as an equal.
 
But even against this peace, he could smell old blood and death on the breeze, and knew another village had been attacked by those who didn't understand this. It was terrible, but because there was no king to stop it, it was a daily occurrence now, in these lands.
 
While Inuyasha thought of this for a moment, the girl cat hanyou looked up and spotted him, looking a bit surprised before she waved at him. Inuyasha was also caught off guard, but figured that the girl could smell his scent and tell he was a hanyou, too. For a moment, he smiled back, before deciding it was time to leave and finish his journey.
 
For a long time afterward as the countryside of the Midlands passed him by, Inuyasha thought of that girl, and what hardships she would have to face if she ever left her home country. Though he liked this land for the acceptance he felt, he knew that the people who lived here had to be naive fools.
 
This place is like some kind of paradise, where humans and demons live together, not like the real world at all. Any other place in this world would have the humans and demons fighting constantly, and that girl would already be dead. But they don't know any better; all they know is what they were brought up with.
 
Pausing for a moment, Inuyasha added, And I don't know if that is something to be proud of or idiocy…
 
 
* * * * * * * *
 
 
“The brave knight stepped up to the platform, his sword in hand, ready to fight for the glory and honor of his clan. But as he sized up the heavyweight challenger and took the position to fight, little did he know that he would be honoring his king by buying him one woman—the very same woman he had fallen in love with months ago.”
 
“Don't stop now, sister!” the small, frail boy lying on a bed begged. “It's just getting to the good part!”
 
The woman, who had long brown hair held back by a ribbon and shining dark eyes, laughed at her brother, “Kohaku, you've read this story a hundred times, surely you know what happens without me telling you.”
 
Kohaku, who had a pale face hidden by freckles smiled back, “Yes, but its better when you tell it, sister.”
 
Sighing, the woman obliged her brother by continuing, “A gong was struck and the knight dashed forward, his sword slashing at the opponent, who didn't stand a chance as the knight cut him down. The challenger yielded instantly, signaling the next round. But the princess, hidden behind the heavy curtain, looked at the knight and with his fighting realized the unthinkable; her handsome lover had come to her once again.”
 
There was a knock at the door causing her to pause in her reading. “You may come in,” she spoke, and soon an old, balding man appeared in the doorway.
 
“Lady Sango,” he addressed her, “I am sorry to disturb you and your brother, but we have just received two travel worn guests into the castle.”
 
“Travelers?” Sango asked, standing up quickly, her pale yellow gown swishing in the air, “What do they look like?”
 
The man thought a moment before replying, “One appeared to be a monk; he had the robes, at least. The other was some small, type of creature that we have never seen before, possibly a young demon. Shall I admit them?”
 
“Yes, take them to the kitchens, they must be hungry. Put up their horse in the stables as well. There shouldn't be anything to worry about, since he is a monk,” Lady Sango ordered, before a small smile came on her face. “A monk and a young demon? They must have some story to tell…”
 
“Sister?” Kohaku asked, glancing towards her as the manservant left.
 
Sighing, her smile faded, and Sango turned back to her brother. “I am sorry Kohaku, but I'm afraid I'll have to go see these visitors. We'll have to finish the story later. You should get some rest anyway, it's getting late.”
 
As always, her brother smiled back, not at all disappointed at her leaving. “That's okay sister, just remember to tell me everything about them!”
 
“I will,” she nodded, turning and heading out of his room, towards the kitchens.
 
 
* * * * * * * * *
 
Down below, in the dark, greasy kitchens, the monk and the fox sat on a rough wooden bench, eating gruel out of a wooden bowl. “I told you,” Miroku grinned, his violet eyes flashing, “Wearing the guise of a monk has some benefits. We have food, and shelter for the night, instead of having to sleep outside once more.”
 
“Okay, okay, you were right!” Shippou yelled back, turning to his food. “Still, isn't this wrong?”
 
“Whatever do you mean, Shippou?”
 
“I mean, even though you're not really a monk, pretending to be one to get food and shelter, isn't that morally wrong? Especially if you're pretending to be a holy man to do it?”
 
The grin on Miroku's face only widened. “Ah, my dear little Shippou, that is where you are wrong. It is not about what is morally wrong or right when it comes to survival. It is all about what works and what doesn't, understand?”
 
By the look on the fox demon's face, he didn't understand, and probably never would. But changing the subject, Shippou asked, “By the way, didn't the man who saw us in said the lord of the castle would see us?”
 
“I think so,” Miroku replied, finishing up the last of his gruel, licking the wooden spoon clean. “We should thank this man generously, Shippou, without his hospitality, we wouldn't have gotten this fine meal, would we?”
 
They both had barely finished their meals when an announcer from outside the kitchen's spoke, “The Lord will see you now.”
 
Both monk and fox stood up at once, out of respect as a figure strode into the dark room. But once light hit upon the person to greet them, both Miroku's and Shippou's jaws dropped; it was a woman.
 
While Shippou merely looked confused, Miroku could only stand there in awe, his violet eyes sizing up the beauty before him. The woman wore a dress of pale yellow, the waist slim and the low neckline revealing enough of her chest to catch any man's eye. Her long, dark hair was tied back behind a white ribbon, and her nut brown eyes looked back at the world confidently, without a hint of fear.
 
A secret smile grew on Miroku's face, yes, he decided, he liked this estate they had lucked into very much.
 
“I am sorry for the confusion,” the woman spoke, her voice soft, but commanding. “I am the lady of this estate, but they call me `the Lord' because you know how those at the palace would react to hearing a woman was in charge of this mansion and village.”
 
Hmm…so this woman was in charge of this place, for the time being. Unable to control himself, the smile on Miroku's face widened, but not before the woman saw it. “You are the monk?” she asked, much less of a question than something to say.
 
“Oh…yes,” he nodded, kneeling down and taking the woman's hand gently. “My name is Miroku, fair lady,” he spoke smoothly, going so far as to kiss her hand as well.
 
Taking her hand back, her eyes wandered him cautiously, “Thank you…Miroku,” she said in a rush, before turning to Shippou. “And you are a fox demon?”
 
Surprised, he answered, “Yes, my name is Shippou, but how did you…?”
 
The woman only smiled to herself, then turned back to the doorway and called, “Kirara!” A small, white cat with black markings pounced into the kitchens, landing in her lap as she sat, before the other two noticed the cat had two tails.
 
“She is a cat demon,” the lady of the mansion explained, as both Miroku and Shippou sat down. “Her name is Kirara, and mine is Sango, and this village you are in is called the Village of the Demon Exterminators.”
 
“D-demon exterminators?” Shippou asked, going so far as to hide behind Miroku, before Sango laughed and shook her head.
 
“You are in no harm here, Shippou,” she assured him. “We only kill demons that attack us, and other villages on the border of the Human Lands. Others we make peace with, and some, like Kirara, we have fighting at our side.”
 
As Shippou relaxed, Miroku glanced back at her and asked, “Forgive me, Lady Sango, but demon exterminators? But if you are a village of warriors, then how come I don't see any—”
 
“Because there is no need for the hiring of warriors,” explained Sango at once. “While we all have our duties to this estate, each man, woman and child are trained in combat, to fight any attacking demons. It has been this way for years; since we live on the border, we are in danger every day…”
 
“You mean,” asked Shippou warily. “Even you?”
 
Sango nodded, “Even me. When I was a girl, I fought alongside my father, since my mother died when I was very young…But one day, a demon attacked that was too powerful, taking half the village and my father with it. I am thankful, in all that, that my brother remains alive from that attack, even if the poison he sustained means he will be crippled for the rest of his life.”
 
By the way her eyes had lowered during that speech, Miroku could tell the memories had been painful for her. It was obvious that her love for her brother overtook any pain she had of the past. This woman was not some bubbly, air headed woman of the court. She was a woman that had known pain, and needed to be comforted. “So…you run this estate alone?” he asked softly.
 
“Yes, I do it in my father's place, as he would have wanted.”
 
He couldn't help himself; he pried further. “And you are not married?”
 
By the way her brown eyes shot up to his violet ones, it was clear that it was a question not anticipated, or welcomed. But Sango answered anyway, “Yes, I am not married,” though she thought it should have been obvious since she wore her hair free instead of confined. “If I married, I would have to live on my husband's estate, and I will not allow that. “I cannot leave my brother for that long. I do go to court sometimes, but if I hear his condition has worsened, then I like the liberty of rushing back here at once, instead of having to ask permission to go attend to my sick brother.”
 
“I quite understand,” Miroku assured her. “Your brother is quite lucky that he has such an attentive sister.”
 
“Umm…” a small blush formed on Sango's face from his compliments. “Thank you, I suppose…”
 
Noticing the blush on her face, the monk pretended to be skeptical, “Forgive me, but you run this estate by yourself? Aren't you a bit young to be doing that?”
 
Now the lady knew her privacy was being trespassed on, but unable to stand his accusations, she spoke harshly, “I am eighteen, old enough to do what I want.”
 
A lecherous grin sprouted on Miroku's face. Aha, so she's eighteen. A bit old to still be unmarried, but nonetheless… The grin disappeared as he suddenly began coughing, unable to stop as he collapsed on the floor, making both Shippou and Sango very worried about him.
 
“Holy monk!” Sango cried as she kneeled over him, frightened at the sudden change in health in the monk. “Monk, are you all right?”
 
The coughing momentarily stopped however…once Lady Sango felt a wandering hand roaming somewhere quite inappropriate. For a moment, she stood still, dumbstruck, and then lashed out, smacking the `monk' across the face in one sharp movement.
 
“What kind of monk are you?” she screamed, as Miroku fell back, clutching his stinging cheek, though still smirking.
 
“You have quite a hit there, Lady Sango,” he muttered, stumbling back up to his feet. “You must forgive me, but from the moment I saw your beautiful form, I had to make sure it was real and not an image from Heaven—”
 
“Just shut up and answer me!” roared Sango, looming before with flames nearly coming out of her eyes.
 
Shippou rolled his eyes as Miroku sighed, and explained, “Okay, I am not really a monk…It's just a way to get by since I have nothing.” He went on to explain the circumstances of his impoverished state, all the while trying not to grin once more as sympathy teemed at the edges of Lady Sango's eyes.
 
“That is awful,” she agreed, all anger faded at the previous incident as Kirara jumped into her lap, and she absent-mindedly petted the cat. “But what are you, and the little fox doing all the way out here? Surely the palace would be more comfortable?”
 
Deciding it was all right to tell her, the monk said, “We were at the palace, Lady Sango, but about a week ago, there was an incident…Anyway one of our friends is now traveling to the Demon Lands and we are following him, because we think we can help…It all started with the Princess Kagome being kidnapped by that dragon—”
 
“What?” Sango shot to her feet, a shocked look on her face. “Kagome was kidnapped?”
 
Both Miroku and Shippou blinked in surprise. “You are on first name basis with the princess?” the monk asked.
 
“Of course I am!” Sango said abruptly. “Kagome is my best friend! Before the accident in this village, we both grew up together. I've known her all my life! And you say she's been kidnapped?”
 
Shippou suddenly remembered; right before Kagome got sick, she was reading a letter from one of her friends…Sango.
 
“Yes,” the monk explained. “A giant dragon from the Demon Lands stole her from right out of her own bedchamber. Her knight protector, the hanyou Inuyasha, already went after her, but we decided to follow because we think we can help.”
 
Sango seemed to think a moment, before making a great decision. “There is no other way, I will have to go as well.”
 
“What?” Both monk and fox looked shocked at the notion. “But…Lady Sango, it will be dangerous…” Shippou began.
 
She shook her head, “That doesn't matter, I've been in dangerous situations before. But Kagome is my best friend, and if she is in danger, I have to go find her as well.” She paused, looking back down at the small cat that mewed in her arms. “I don't want to leave Kohaku, but…Kirara, you will stay with him, to protect this village, understand?” The cat demon mewed in understanding.
 
“That done,” she glanced at her two new companions. “We will leave in the morning,” she glared back at Miroku, “As long as you keep your hands to yourself.” With that, she strode out of the kitchens, taking her cat with her.
 
Grinning brightly, Miroku watched her go, thinking, Well, this shall certainly be interesting…Divine providence must have led us here for sure…
 
Looking at the smirk on Miroku's face, Shippou could only turn away and roll his eyes, disgusted.
 
 
* * * * * * * *
 
 
It had been days since Inuyasha entered the Midlands, yet it had not taken as long as he thought to pass through the country. He guessed his sense of how direction had dulled slightly over the years he had not been through those borders. Soon, I'll be in the Demon Lands…and from there, I'll find Kagome!
 
As he continued on, through the dark forest, jumping over branches and dead leaves, a familiar scent caught his nose…one he hadn't smelled since he was just a young child…No…it can't be…can it?
 
Taking a running jump, he flew through the trees and out of the forest, back on the grassy plain. Some distance away, yet still within his sight was a village, one that he recalled out of fuzzy memory. He could remember running through those very same streets, the strangers smiling at him, his mother's smile, before…Home…
 
It was almost exactly the same as it had been two hundred years ago; the huts in the same place, the same amount of people walking through the small street, farms with the same crops growing…everything as it was that night long ago, when he last saw the village, when the tall, powerful looking man came that claimed to be his father…
 
When Inuyasha's amber eyes looked a little bit away from the village, he saw the graveyard, with mounds in front of wooden crosses…where they had buried his mother after she had died from that illness, so long ago…Mother…
 
A wind that seemed to originate from that graveyard blew towards him, carrying the scent of his old home he left so long ago, blowing his silver hair back as he allowed himself to get caught up in memory, just for a little while.
 
But, the wind carried another scent, one that alerted him to the present and made him snap his eyes open. Kagome!
 
Sniffing intently, he forgot all thoughts of his old home and continued to follow her scent as it led him away, back into the forest and continuing until he came to a strong river, the river that marked the border between the Midlands and the Demon Lands.
 
But once here, against the rush of the churning water, Inuyasha stopped. Her scent…it's gone! It was true; here the trail of her scent ended, just disappeared. No…it couldn't have…damn it all! He thought glancing up into the sky. The dragon knew what it was doing, it carried her too high up into the air near water, allowing all remnants of the scent to be washed away. It wouldn't descend again until it found its destination, and it would be nearly impossible for him to track the dragon with just his nose.
 
Inuyasha knew what this meant; he would have to see Sesshoumaru after all. There was no getting around it now. His brother would probably know where this dragon had a nest, and that would be the only way he could find it in this large and vast country. Leaping over the river in one bound and setting foot in the Demon Lands, Inuyasha let out his frustration by drawing Tessaiga and slicing clean through a tree.
 
But to his surprise, instead of the tree merely falling down, the sword released a golden light that flew off in many directions, taking out several trees as it flew. Inuyasha stared awestruck as it finished looking back at the sword his father had willed to him. Tessagia…?
 
It seemed that the sword had many more things it was determined to show him, but Inuyasha knew it was not the time. Sheathing the sword, he headed towards the palace of the Demon Lands, in a bad mood the entire time, because he had greatly hoped he would never have to see his brother again…