InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Scent of Rain ❯ Reflections ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. I only own this story and any original characters you find. I also don't own the song, Angel by Sarah Mac. (Can't spell her last name.)
 
Ch. 2: Reflections
 
 
The sun shone down mercilessly the next morning as Kagome woke up. The sounds of singing birds and the harsh glare of the sun was what woke her up. Yawning, she sat up and put on a pair of black shorts, a white t-shirt, and black tennis shoes. She walked to Rain's room and knocked on the door.
“Rain, are you up?” Silence. Kagome knocked again. “Rain? I'm coming in.” Receiving no reply, she opened the door and walked in. the room was empty.
“Should've known,” she sighed, then went outside, only to find Rain sweeping.
 
 
Rain had been up since five o'clock that morning. She had gotten dressed and went outside for her daily twenty mile run. After she had finished, she went back to the house and showered. Then, she put on jeans, an oversized black t-shirt, and tennis shoes and went outside to do her chores. She grabbed the broom, went back outside, and started sweeping. While she was working, she started to think.
Things have gotten so complicated, she thought. Before we went to the Feudal Era, everything was pretty simple. Then we find out that Kagome is the reincarnation of an ancient priestess and that the Shikon No Tama was in her body. So caught up was she in her thoughts that she didn't hear her sister until she was right behind her.
“Hey, Rain, are you okay?” Kagome asked, worry evident in her voice. Rain smiled slightly.
“Yeah, I'm fine, just thinking. When do we have to get back to Inuyasha and the others?”
“By sunset, or else Inuyasha will come get us.”
“Okay. Rain started to walk away. She went into the house and, after putting the broom up, went to her room. She changed from what she was previously wearing into something more to her liking. When she stepped out of her room five minutes later, she had on a black skirt that reached her ankles and slits on both sides that reached up to mid-thigh, a sleeveless black shirt that had three chains on each shoulder, positioned so that they hung down on her shoulders in layers, and black combat boots.
She also had on black fingerless gloves, a silver armband on her upper right arm, a black choker with a ruby dangling down, and ruby earrings that were shaped like roses. She had on light grey eye shadow and silvery lip gloss. Her hair was in a ponytail.
When she got downstairs, she saw Kagome sitting on the couch.
“Where are you going?”
“Out. Don't worry; I'll be back before sunset.” With that, she walked outside, again, and away from the temple. She walked down the streets of the city, letting her feet guide her. Suddenly, she heard footsteps running towards her. Putting on an emotionless face, she turned around to greet the visitor. Coming towards her was her best friend Chris. He had on black leather pants, knee-high black boots, and a tight black shirt that showed the outline of his perfectly muscled chest. He had emerald green hair and sparkling light purple eyes.
“Hey Rain. How're you doing?” his voice was deep, yet soft.
She's gorgeous, he thought in admiration. She's even more beautiful than normal. His stomache started fluttering and his heart started racing. He had known Rain since they were seven and he had been in love with her since they were eleven. With a shock, he realized she was talking to him.
“Sorry, I spaced out. Repeat?”
“I said, `I'm fine how're you'. Geez, you okay? It's not like you to space out like that.” she still had her emotionless face on and her voice also expressed no emotion. This saddened Chris, but he knew she had a reputation to uphold.
“Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little tired.” She started walking and he fell in step with her. “So, where are you going?”
“Cloud watching, you?”
“Errands for my dad. Why he can't do them is beyond me. So, how's the family?”
“Well, Kagome is as innocent and frustrating as ever, Gramps is still crazy, Mom hasn't abandoned me, and Sota's still a pain.” Chris laughed.
“So they haven't changed.” By this time they had reached the grocery store. “Well this is my stop. See you later?”
“Not for a while,” Rain replied. “I'm going to the Feudal Era again.” Chris kept his disappointment hidden. He hated it when she went there. When she first disappeared for three days with Kagome he had been worried sick. Then when she told him about what happened, (he had used a guilt trip and a very good puppy dog pout to bully the info out of her), and how she would have to stay there for long periods of time, he felt heartbroken because he knew he wouldn't be able to see her as often.
“Well, have a good trip. And don't worry, I'll cover for ya. I won't let Gramps say you have a terrible disease.”
“Thanks, Chris. I appreciate it. Well, bye.”
“Bye.” Before she could leave, however, Chris grabbed her hand and lifted it to his lips. He brushed a gentle kiss against it then let go and smiled.
“Ciao,” he said walking into the store. Rain shook her head and continued walking until she came to a giant hill in one of the most deserted parts of town. It had a Sakura tree on it and overlooked the city. Rain went to the tree and sat against it, one leg stretched out, the other bent with her arm hanging over it.
I wish we didn't have to go back so soon, she thought. Although he doesn't show it, Chris hates it when I leave. The problem is I'm not sure I completely hate going there. There, people accept me, even though I'm strange. Here, they make fun of me and pick fights with me. It's been that way since middle school and I doubt it's going to change.
All of a sudden, she started singing a song she had written a few weeks ago:
 

Spend all your time waiting
For that secondchance
For a break that would make it okay
There's always some reason
To fee not good enough
And it's hard at the end of the day
I need some distraction
Oh beautiful release
As memories seep through my veins
They may be empty
Their weightless and maybe
We'll find some peace tonight
In the arms of the angel
Fly away from here
From this dark cold hotel room
And the endless nights that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent remorie
You're in the arms of the angel
May you find
Some comfort here
So tired of the straight life
And everywhere you turn
There's vultures and thieves at your back
The storm keeps on twisting
Keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack
It makes no difference
Escaping one last time
It'seasier to believe
In this sweet madness
Oh this glorious sadness
That brings me to my knees
In the arms of the angel
Fly away from here
From the dark cold hotel room
And the endless nights that you fear
You are pulled from the wreckage
Of your silent remorie,
You'rein the arms of the angel
May you find
Some comfort here
You'rein the arms of the angel
May you find
Some comfort here
 
As she sang the last note, her melodic voice still carried on the wind. She sighed, and then looked at the sky. The sun was already setting. She groaned and, standing up, started running back to the temple, thankful she had been faithful in her training. When she finally reached the temple, it was nighttime. There was a crescent moon in the sky, casting a soft silver glow on everything. She prayed Kagome wouldn't be too mad.
 
***************************************************************** **
 
Mad couldn't describe what Kagome was feeling now. At an hour past sunset, Inuyasha had come barging into the temple, yelling about how Shippo was whining about missing her. Kagome had had to tell him that they had to wait for Rain to get back. This was the reason Kagome stood at the door to the well house, tapping her foot, with an irritated Inuyasha beside her.
At the precise moment that Inuyasha was about to go sniff her out, Rain appeared at the top of the steps.
“Where the heck have you been?” he yelled as soon as she was within hearing distance.
“Somewhere,” was Rain's curt reply. She walked past the two `lovebirds' and went into the house. She went to her room, grabbed her stuff, and then joined the other two at the well house. She then looked at them expectantly.
“Well? Are you coming?”