InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Soul of a Hanyou ❯ Down the Bone Eater's Well ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 18-Down the Bone-Eater's Well
Kagome-Inuyasha, where are you going?
Inuyasha-To get Kayoko.
Sango-You know where she is?
Inuyasha-Yeah she's just over there (pointing to the clump of trees that Aviva had retreated to).
Miroku-Umm, Inuyasha are you feeling okay?
Aviva emerged from the trees and very gracefully sauntered over to the group.
Aviva-Oh, he's okay. It's just me.
Kagome-What do you mean by that?
A wall of water turned red emerged from the ground, forming a circular wall between Aviva and everyone else. When the water retreated back into the soil, Aviva was no longer standing in front of them, but Kayoko.
Miroku-KAYOKO!
Miroku ran up to hug the girl, but unfortunately she'd already read his mind and created a barrier between them. With a loud thud, Miroku ran into the once invisible barrier that was now a transparent purple bubble around Kayoko. The girl lifted the barrier as Miroku tried to regain conciseness. Sango helped the monk up and left him sitting on Kilala.
Kayoko-So I'm back, what do we do now?
Shippo-Resume our quest for the jewel shards.
Kagome-But, I need more stuff from my house. We'll have to go back to the village.
Kayoko-You live in the village?
Kagome-Oh yeah, I forgot Inuyasha didn't tell you.
Inuyasha- (Sarcastically) Oh so I'm supposed to tell everyone that you're from the future?
Kayoko-You're from the future?
Kagome-Uh, yeah.
Kagome was secretly hoping that this would make Kayoko a little jealous.
Kayoko-Do you know a girl named Akeela?
Kagome-You mean Akeela Kaneyama?
Kayoko-Um, I guess.
Kagome-Yeah she goes to my school, been head of my class for five years in a row.
Kayoko- (really confused) So she's smart?
Kagome-Yeah, so what of her?
Kayoko-Well, she's my reincarnation, and if I could go to the future, I could meet her? How do you get to the future anyway Kagome?
Kagome-Umm…a well.
Kayoko-Oh, you mean the well in Kaede's village, oh.
Kagome-What do you mean by, oh?
Kayoko-Just that, umm, well I've been to the well…never down it but it did give off a mystical aura, kinda creepy.
Inuyasha-Anyway, wanna come? I mean if you can come down it.
Kayoko-Ah, did you just call me chicken? Well I can go down that well; I'll show you.
Kayoko walked past everyone towards Kaede's village, in a determined manner. Ignoring what anyone might say.
Inuyasha-Kayoko…
She does turn around, only to acknowledge her name, not what he might say.
Inuyasha-You're just as stubborn as before.
Kayoko-Ah, well you're one to talk. Remember when you were 6, you were determined to make me believe that you could fly over a gorge. And where did that get you, a broken leg, a fractured elbow and an “I told you so” from me.
Inuyasha was a little embarrassed and took a step back at her remark, surprised that she'd remembered something from that long ago.
Sango-It's not that we think you're scared Kayoko.
Shippo-It's just that, well…
Miroku-The well only allows…
Kagome-Me and Inuyasha to pass through to the future.
Kayoko-Well, you never know, I could at least give it a try, and if not, oh well.
Inuyasha was surprised at how well she'd just regained her excitement in the whole situation. So Miroku and Sango rode on Kilala's back, Kagome on Inuyasha's and Kayoko carried Shippo on hers, insight of her speed. Kagome wasn't particularly happy about this either, since Shippo was supposed to be like her little brother, and well now he was taking quite a shine to Kayoko. Along the road, Shippo and Kayoko would often speed ahead of everyone else and would be found ten minutes later talking, picking berries for everyone to enjoy or wading in a pond trying to catch lunch. When they'd finally gotten back to the village, Kayoko was eager to see the well again, and to maybe go to Kagome's world.
Kayoko-Okay, we're here. So let's go see if that old well likes me or not.
Everyone followed Kayoko there exhausted, except for Shippo as the two raced all the way to the well, where Kayoko obviously let the little kitsune win their little race. As everyone finally reached the well, Kayoko was standing right next to it, her hands on her hips in an irritated position for everyone's lack of energy.
Kagome-I think that Inuyasha and I should go first, so that you won't be freaked out when we get there.
Kayoko-No, I want you to see this, besides if you go first and I can't make it through, how will you know?
Inuyasha-Good point, cause then one of us would have to come back through.
Everyone nodded except Kagome, thinking that Kayoko had no place to contradict her, but at the same time, acknowledging that Kayoko was right. Kayoko climbed over the edge of the well, and jumped the rest of the way. Immediately Shippo walked over to the well to check…she was gone.