InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Time of Your Life ❯ Gotta Get Awa ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 10

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-yasha. And I am not looking for, or getting any money for this story.

"Speaking"

'Thoughts' Instead I'm trying it without in this chapter as an experiment.

"(Mumbled under breath talking)"

(Authors Notes)



Anyway here is Chapter 10:



"Gotta Get Away"


Daryl sat in the cold grey room at the police station waiting for the police officer to return.

Oh, he had a whole list of excuses, but he had to be careful not to use one he'd used before or they'd get suspicious. Hmm come to think of it none of his excuses ever worked and he always wound up spending a night in jail anyway.

The door opened and Daryl looked up to find his principal standing before him?

"Good evening Daryl, I see you've had a little run in with the local law enforcement." Naraku stood before him on the other side of the dingy table.

"Don't worry Daryl, officer Mendez and I have an understanding and he has put you in my care." Naraku smirked at him and Daryl smirked back, just barely caring what they were smiling at.

*****

It was Monday, ugh Monday. Kagome did not want to see her "friends" especially after that set up at the party on Friday. She could just ignore them, but that wasn't her. They had been friends since grade school, she couldn't just stop cold turkey. She had trusted them to be there for her, they always were before. I guess people really do change in High school.

She saw them across the parking lot and clenched Inu-yasha's hand tighter. She walked right by them without even sparing them a glance. She may have to confront them sometime, it just didn't have to be now, did it?

They weren't going to extend her the same courtesy it would seem. "Hey slut." She heard one of the jocks they were hanging around call to her. "What's the idea of leading Hojo on like that?"

She could feel Inu-yasha tense beside her just as she was doing. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Yuka and Eri snickering. She tried half heartedly to stop Inu-yasha as he whirled around and the boy that shouted was on the ground seemingly before Inu-yasha even laid a hand on him.

Wait a minute Inu-yasha hadn't touched him. Did he faint or something?

"Nobody talks like that about my woman." Oh Koga, what is he doing here?


"Say Koga as long as your here I need a fix man." Said another one of the jocks.

"Well you'll have to find it somewhere else, I'm out of the business." Koga proclaimed.

"Your woman!?" Inu-yasha came out of his fog and snarled. "What are you doing here?"

"Kagome, how are you my sweet?" Koga ignored Inu-yasha and stepped right up to Kagome taking her hands in his. Inu-yasha shoved him and stepped in between them glaring at Koga. It seemed like the starring contest went on forever.


They didn't even seem to hear as some other student said "Damn she is a slut, she's three timing Hojo."

Kagome had enough, it was time to get out of there so she started to drag Inu-yasha off towards school. "Um see you later Koga, bye."


Once away from the crowd that had formed she calmed a little and slowed her walking. "Your seeing him later?" Inu-yasha asked perplexed.

"What? No."

"But you said..."

"Calm down Inu-yasha it's just an expression." She stopped and turned to him. "You're the only guy I'm seeing later, or anytime." She reassured him and gave him a lingering kiss.

"Okay." Inu-yasha said after they broke apart and he walked her to her class.

*****

Naraku watched the whole scene between Koga and Inu-yasha, unnoticed by any of the students, through his office blinds.

"Kagura, find out everything you can about those two boys." He said to the slender woman standing behind him, while still keeping an eye on His students.

"Yes sir." She turned on her heel and clacked off down the hall to fulfil her task.

*****

Kagome and Inu-yasha were eating lunch with Sango (Miroku was off who knows where) for once since it was getting cold outside, being late October and all.


Miroku came bounding up to them (which was weird cause he usually doesn't bound or prance or skip. Anyway.) with a huge grin on his face.

"What the hell are you so happy about?" Inu-yasha asked like it was a crime or something, maybe he was still a little upset about this morning.

"I have something that you are going to love me for." He said staring directly at Sango.

"I doubt that." She retorted.

"What is it Miroku?" Kagome asked trying to keep the peace.

"I scored us four tickets to the 'Maximum Radicals' concert next Saturday." (AN 1)

"Cool." "You are awesome." Inu-yasha and Sango grabbed at the tickets he produced.

"Who are the 'Maximum Radicals?'" Kagome asked and all three turned horrified expressions her way.

"You've never heard of 'Maximum Radicals?'" They all asked at once.

"No. Um it's a band right?" Kagome said unsure.

"A band, they are not just a band..." Miroku said.

"Actually, yes they are." Sango countered.

"Whatever, You can come over to my place and listen to some of their stuff before we go to the concert." Inu-yasha offered. Miroku would have inserted a perverted comment here but Sango's look promised death and not a sweet death either.

"I'm invited?" Kagome asked.

"Of course." They all chorused.

"You want to come right?" Inu-yasha thought to ask.

"Yes, it sounds like fun. I've never been to a concert before." Kagome said starting to get as excited as they were.

"You've never been to a concert? You have led a sheltered life my friend." Sango said shaking her head.

The rest of lunch was taken up with talk of previous concerts.

*****

That evening Kagome plopped herself down on Inu-yasha's bed, and Shippo plopped down beside her.

"Get up runt your in my seat." Inu-yasha grumbled and Shippo scrambled out of his reach.

"Be nice Inu-yasha." Kagome scolded him.

"Yeah, be nice Inu-yasha." Shippo mimicked, stuck his tongue out and retreated to the Kitchen alcove.

"So this is the 'Maximum Radicals.'" Kagome said bobbing her head to the music pulsating through the room. "Cool." She added.


"Yeah." Inu-yasha agreed excitedly, for him anyway. Kagome hardly, if ever, saw Inu-yasha look even remotely excited about anything. It made him look, well kind of sexy, or sexier she should say.

Inu-yasha apparently had the same idea, (About Kagome) because before she knew it she was pressed into the bed with Inu-yasha on top kissing her soundly, and she responded in kind. Hands tangled in hair as tongues played war games.

That just had to be when Shippo came back and loudly protested the "icky" scene. They both blushed beet red and sat up but remained tangled in each others arms.

"We should probably be studying for the S.A.T.'s anyway." Kagome said, disappointed.

"Later, this is my favourite part." Inu-yasha practically breathed in her ear.

"So what time are we going to the concert?" Shippo asked from his seat in the bean bag chair.

"We, as in me, Kagome, Sango, and Miroku, are leaving next Saturday at 5 and won't be back until Sunday morning."

"Sunday morning? We're driving all night?" Kagome asked.

"It's cheaper than finding a hotel room for the night." Inu-yasha informed, "Is that a problem?"

"No, just would have been nice to be informed." Kagome said this last bit under her breath.

"Good." Inu-yasha said oblivious then turned back to Shippo, "And you are going to Kaede's.

"Rats, I never get to have any fun." Poor Shippo pouted.

*****

At school was the same routine most of the week. And this next week was promising to be more of the same.

But then one day Ayume approached Kagome at her lunch table.

"Hey, can I talk to you Kagome?" She asked from behind Kagome, startling her in more ways than one.

"Go ahead." Kagome looked defiant and struck a pose similar to one of Inu-yasha's more stubborn ones.

Ayume started reluctantly, she would have preferred to do this in private but whatever. "You know about last Friday, It wasn't my idea."

"But you knew. And you didn't tell me, or speak to me at all last week." Kagome accused her.

"Yes and I'm sorry, but you have been avoiding us. But I should have told you, and they're being jerks I don't know what is with them lately and I guess I'm a jerk too, and I'm sorry." She babbled on and waited briefly for Kagome to answer, even though it did seem like forever. "And uh that's all." She turned to leave.

Kagome bit her lip and looked to her friends then back at Ayume. "Wait, Ayume. Want to sit down, have lunch with us?" Kagome smiled at her.

"Yeah, okay." Ayume smiled back and sat down.

It was a bit awkward at first but then they settled into a comfortably neutral topic of discussion: School work, how wonderfully exciting.

"So how do you think you did on the S.A.T.'s?" Miroku asked.

"I did all right on the English section." Inu-yasha said.

"I should hope so with all the "studying" you and Kagome have done." Miroku made little quote marks in the air with his fingers.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Inu-yasha growled at him.

"Nothing at all. Oh and by the way, I'm sure I did super. What about you Sango my dear?"

"Let's change the subject, okay." Sango said quickly.

"Out with it Sango."

"Fine whatever, I think I failed, what about you Kagome?" She shot a glare at each of them.

Kagome let out a nervous laugh. "I'm sure it wasn't that bad Sango."

"Wait Kagome, you took the S.A.T.'s? But you're only a Freshman." Ayume broke into the conversation.

"Oh that's right I forgot to tell you I'm trying to graduate this year, and even though I'm not an official Senior yet I could still take the S.A.T.'s."

"Really Kagome that's great." Despite Ayume's cheery face she sounded a little disappointed and put out.

The bell rang shortly and Ayume was left wondering if she and Kagome could ever reconnect.

*****

Inu-yasha, Sango, and Miroku sat in the back of Chemistry class talking while they went through the motions of doing the lab experiment. Although Inu-yasha was mostly concentrated in gouging a whole in the table with the metal encased eraser end of his pencil than really helping his lab partners.

"Since the concert's all the way in the boondocks, you guys have to chip in for gas." Sango informed.

"Great, I barely even have enough money for rent this month." Inu-yasha gripped.

"Yeah you still owe me for the tickets." Miroku said.

"Your Uncle gave them to you, for free." Inu-yasha reminded him.

"Yeah well you still owe me,"

"Whatever." inu-yasha brushed him off and then Miroku continued, "and you'll have to pay for Kagome's share of gas too, since you're dating now." Teased Miroku.

"I know, that's why I have no money."

"You love it."

"Whatever."

"Well at least I only have to pay for my own, seeing as I don't have a girlfriend." Miroku gave Sango a pointed look.

"Oh you are so paying my share too." Sango started, and at Miroku's protest continued. "My car, my rules. I drive both your sorry asses to and from school everyday and I will receive compensation." She said pointing a finger at both of them.

"Okay, okay." Miroku put up his hands in a placating gesture.
"Speaking of relationships, how far have you gotten with Kagome anyway?" Miroku prodded Inu-yasha and Sango slapped him upside the head.

"What? Aren't you curious?" He asked Sango.

"No, that's their business."

*This prompted Inu-yasha to have a Flashback from earlier in the week*

Inu-yasha smirked as Koga left again in a cloud of smoke.

"Inu-yasha! We were having a conversation." Kagome shouted at him.

Inu-yasha looked flabbergasted. "Well he wasn't. How dense can you be?"

"You know your jealousy was cute at first, but I am so getting sick of it." Kagome said as she stormed off into the school.

"sick of it, sick of it, sick of it" Kagome's words echoed in Inu-yasha's head until he was brought back to the now.

If he was to answer Miroku it would be, "not very far, at all." But he just glared and went back to digging a whole in the table.


*****

Saturday, Concertday (intentional) as well:

"Come on already Miroku, we're gonna be late. *Grrr* you can do this another time." Sango was snipping at him again, in fact she'd been nothing but snippy lately. Though this time she had good reason. At the moment Miroku was in the middle of cleaning his room, when they should be on their way to pick up Inu-yasha and Kagome.

"If I don't clean this up now my dad will have a fit when I get back."

"Well you could have done this earlier ya know."

"I was busy earlier." Miroku replied with a smirk.

Sango remained silent after that. She knew perfectly well what he had been doing earlier, she had been there doing it with him. Not it, it but some good stuff.

"Done." He announced.

"Finally." Sango sighed.

"Oh wait, I forgot the bathroom."

Sango shot him a look.

"Kidding, kidding. Let's go."

*****

After the concert:

Inu-yasha and Kagome stood waiting by the car, in the cold.

"Where are they?" Kagome asked with a touch of nervousness, or that could have been her teeth chattering from the cold.

"How should I know. Hey what are you doing?" Inu-yasha watched as Kagome opened his jacket and snaked her arms around his middle, cuddling into his warmth.

"I'm cold." Came her muffled reply.

"I told you to bring a jacket." Came his soft answer as he loosely wrapped his arms around her.

They stayed like this until finally, (or all to soon depending on your perspective) Sango and Miroku appeared looking a bit ruffled.

"Where have you two been?" Inu-yasha accused them.

"Hanging with the band." Miroku said smiling.

"Really?" Inu-yasha and Kagome looked at him with jealousy and disbelief, respectively.

"No. There was a jam. Some guy was holding everyone up, demanding his money back or something." Sango came clean.

"Why? That concert rocked." Kagome said surprising everyone.

After a minute of shocked silence Inu-yasha said. "Whatever, just unlock the damn door already."

"All right, what crawled up your but?" Sango wondered.

"He's just grumpy cause he doesn't like crowds." Kagome rubbed Inu-yasha's back as they got in the car.



*****

On the way back from the concert the gang stopped at a restaurant for a bite to eat.

"Oh my god this burger is soooo good." Kagome squealed as she attacked said burger.

"Dude, I think Kagome got a contact high at the concert." Miroku snickered.

"I think we all got contact highs, dude." Said Inu-yasha.

"That would explain why I'm so freakin' hungry." Sango said around a mouth full of fries.

A while later Inu-yasha had finished eating and was fidgeting in his seat, while the others continued to eat at a leisurely pace.

"I need a smoke." Inu-yasha stated getting out of the booth.

"Quitting didn't take huh?" Asked Miroku.

It was Kagome who answered, "No this is, what the third time you've started up again?"

"Whatever." (He's been saying that a lot lately huh?)

Inu-yasha walked out of the restaurant and didn't stop until he was leaning up against Kirara and reached for his cigarets. Sure he'd promised Kagome he'd quit but it was harder than he thought. He only took a few drags before he heard, Her.

"Hey, got a light?"

"K... Kikyo?" He turned towards the voice, sure enough it was her, a little bit older and taller, but unmistakably her.

"Wha... Wha...?" He stared at her dumbly.

"What am I doing here? This backwater town is where I live now." She said with a hint of bitterness.

"So how have you been?" He said after a minute.

"Look, Inu-yasha, I came here for a reason."

"How did you know...?" Inu-yasha started perplexed but Kikyo continued undisturbed.

"I'm sorry we never got a chance to know one another. I know you are a good person."

"Um, okay." Inu-yasha was even more confused now. Kikyo looked around then and leaned up to pull his head down and whisper in his ear. As she did this he felt her put something in his pocket. He barely heard her whisper "Take care of yourself, Inu-yasha." Before she was gone again.

*A few minutes ago*

"Come on guys we should probably go before Inu-yasha has another fit." Kagome said getting up from the booth.

"I guess we're paying, huh?" Miroku said as he and Sango trudge their way up to the cashier and Kagome was out the door.

The scene Kagome saw was so shocking she didn't believe it at first, Inu-yasha was kissing, kissing another girl, a girl that looked so much like her but so different at the same time. She felt weak and couldn't move. And then the girl was gone.

"Kagome? Hey Kagome, what's wrong? Are we goin' or what?" Sango came up behind her.

"Was that Kikyo?" She asked in a whisper, she had heard the stories but she never thought she'd actually see Her, especially doing that.

"Kikyo? Here?" Miroku was on his way to question Inu-yasha, and Kagome could feel herself being dragged along by Sango.

*Just after, ("Take care of yourself, Inu-yasha." Before she was gone again.)*

"Did you just see Kikyo?" Miroku got right to the point.

"Uh, yeah." Inu-yasha was still perplexed and unaware of the dark look Kagome was was giving him.

"You're not even going to deny it?" Sango asked in disbelief.

"No, why should I?"

"But I, I saw you, you ass!" Kagome screamed at him.

"Saw me?" Why was everyone speaking in riddles today? Inu-yasha wondered.

"She saw you two making out, my friend." Miroku thought he would be helpful.

"I was not."

"You were too." Kagome yelled.

"What exactly did you see?"

"The back of your head," At there sceptical looks she hurried on "with her hand in your hair and you where leaning into it. You, you ass."

"Look nothing happened, listen." He then related the bizarreness that was his encounter and produced a note from his pocket.

"Okay, say I believe you." Kagome said still slightly sceptically. "What was she really here for and what does that note say?"

Inu-yasha opened it, (hoping it wasn't a proposition) and read aloud, "Garret Hospital, patient #927, 'rubber ducky.'"

"What the hell does that mean?" Sango asked.

"Kikyo's gone wacko." Miroku offered.

"Feh." Inu-yasha crumpled the paper and threw it on the ground.

"Fine, let's go." Kagome said and got in the car, proof that she had at least half forgiven him.

As they drove off a shadowy figure bent to retrieve the note. (Just where are all these shadowy figures coming from anyway?)


*The end for now*


AN 1: Maximum Radicals: made up name, as far as I know anyway.

Also I've only been to one concert myself. It was "They Might Be Giants." They put on a good show.

I think I was channelling "That '70s Show" somewhat for part of this chapter, since it's my new obsession, one of many.