InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Traveler ❯ That Night ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N I realized that I managed to write Jaken *out* only a chapter after I claimed he was easy to write in….But with Q around, who else really got a word in edgewise?

Sesshoumaru was walking the halls of his house, still furious at the audacity of that Q creature. Issuing him, the great Sesshoumaru, a challenge! And on top of that, one so inane as learning to love. What did he have to do with love? He had no need for it. He walked by the room where his erstwhile guest was staying and was surprised to hear the noises of physical exertion being made. He slid open the door and watched her. She was no longer in the kimono, but loose pants and a short sleeved top. He watched her kata as she moved through the room. He could still feel the anger and frustration coming off her, but she moved with the grace of one long used to the movements of hand to hand combat. She was also too focused on her movements to notice that he was watching her. He stepped into the room and blocked her arm as it swept through the air. "Kumite," he ordered. She was surprised to see him, but hastened to obey his request to spar.

Request, she thought, yeah, more like a command. She faced him and bowed, dropping into a defensive pose. He also dropped into defense. It was then that she realized he was missing an arm. For a breath, they regarded each other and he signaled her to attack. And so it began, for the next two hours, they sparred, not speaking. At first, she held back, but after seeing him narrow his eyes at her and hearing what may have been a growl, she gave her all. Many times, she found herself flying across the room, landing in a heap, but every time, she got up. Bekka was ready to fall over in exhaustion when he bowed to her to signal the end of their match. She returned the bow and collapsed onto the floor. He's not even breathing heavy, she thought. "Thank you, Lord Sesshoumaru," she panted out, being extra careful of her titles and manners to not offend him any more than she had already.

"You do well, for a human," he admitted, amused that she managed to blush even with her face red from exertion. "Explain what was said tonight."

She pulled a face, "My mother liked how the word Absinthe sounded. I never did. When I was three, a babysitter read a story about someone named Rebecca and I liked the name, but I had trouble saying it. I called myself Bekka. When I was a little older, I was in trouble for doing something and my mother called me, `Absinthe.' I told her my name was Bekka. I got into a lot of trouble for that, but I've been called Bekka ever since…except when I really did something to anger my parents. I hear Absinthe and I start looking for places to hide, because what ever it was, it had to be really bad and I was very much in trouble. Q calls me Absinthe because I don't like it. I ask that you would please call me Bekka?" she pleaded to him with voice and eyes. A barely perceptible nod was her relief. She smiled and continued with her story. "I remember making that wish to travel. It was a clear night and I had gotten away from my parents house. I was watching the stars come out when I saw a shooting star. I made a wish to see the whole world…to see all of it…to travel to the ends of the earth. The next day, this guy comes up to me and asks me if I really want to travel and see the sights. Being foolish and young, I agreed. My wish had come true, or so I thought. He was Q and that is how I began my journeys through time.

"I don't know what he meant by being strong enough to handle the time transfer, but usually, I feel kinda crummy for a couple of days when I first get to a new time and place. I don't this time….must be that healer you brought in earlier. As for adaptable, I've held many positions and occupations on this journey. I've been a healer, which is why I know about willow bark, among others, a bard, which is why I can play, a teacher, a ….well, you name it, I've probably done it," she blushed again at this statement. "There are only a few ways that a woman can always ensure her survival.

"As for suffering, he won't let me die, even though there are times I should have. I've been hung, burned, stoned, dropped off cliffs…anything that suits, in his mind, what ever crime I've committed. He always poses as an authority figure, so his will gets done."

She looked down at the ground and continued, "I don't trust anyone, least of all myself. I always expect to be disappointed or betrayed. I always expect to be hurt so I never really open myself up to anyone for any reason. I know it seems that I trust you because I'm telling you all this, but really, I've found it safer and simpler to tell the truth, especially to anyone who witnesses my arrival." She glanced up at him briefly and sighed, "I don't think I even trusted my parents." She continued to look at the ground but said no more.

He regarded her and thought over what she said. "Sleep. You will need more practice in the morning and you promised to play for Rin." He turned and left the room, pulling the door closed behind him.