InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Traveler ❯ The days ahead ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A soft insistent voice kept calling her name, "Lady Bekka, milady, it's time to wake up. Please, Lady Bekka, wake up." She parted her eyes reluctantly and saw the anxious face of Akiko hovering over her.

"Don' wanna get up…'soo early," Bekka managed to slur out. She ached all over and wasn't sure if she could move, even if she were awake.

"Lord Sesshoumaru wants you to meet him in the dojo. You must come. He will be angry if you don't."

Remembering her resolve not to upset her host anymore, she opened her eyes wider and yawned. "I'm getting up, but I think I'll need help….I'm not sure I can move." Yawning again, she stretched and felt her body protest the simple movement. "How long do I have to get ready?"

Akiko looked less anxious and replied, "About half and hour, milady."

Bekka heaved herself up from the low futon and began stretching out her sore muscles, trying to work out the stiffness from being thrown around again. As she reached for the ceiling, her stomach let out a gurgle that reminded her she'd only gotten a bite to eat last night. "Akiko, is there time to eat before I need to be in the dojo?"

Akiko bowed and stepped to the side and pointed out the tray she had brought with her.

"You're wonderful, Akiko. Thank you." Bekka beamed at the blushing demon and knelt before the tray and began to enjoy the meal. The warm tea helped her feel more awake and relaxed. For better or worse, she was here, in Japan, in the era of the Warring states. She was in the home of a demon, whom she was sure she had offended greatly, and with whom she had a lesson. She wondered how he'd lost his arm and who the two at dinner with them were, but those questions would have to wait. She guessed the little girl was Rin, but the other one looked very inhuman…almost toad-like, not much bigger than the little girl. She ate quickly so that she would have some time to stretch a little more before getting tossed around again. It'd been awhile since she'd been in a proper dojo. Her last stop was England during the Roman occupation…not exactly where one would find any type of martial arts centers. Finishing her meal, she stretched her legs and back.

"Milady, it is time to dress," Akiko was holding up garments that looked like a gi. Bekka was glad that she wasn't expected to fight in a kimono. While very pretty, it was almost impossible to move in one. This gi was a deep blue, bordering on purple with a purple belt.

Akiko dressed Bekka quickly and led her to the dojo, where Sesshoumaru was waiting for them. Bekka bowed to him and to the dojo causing Sesshoumaru to quirk an eyebrow. She's been well taught, he thought. He went in and noticed that she also bowed to the mat before stepping on and facing him. "What have you been taught?"

"Other than hand to hand, not much really, because `women cannot handle weapons,' or so I've been told. Most places I've been, women weren't allowed to carry weapons anyway. I can handle a belt knife, but that's about it."

He handed her a sword and began teaching her how to handle it properly. So went the first of many mornings training sessions, and when he called halt for lunch, her arms felt ready to fall off. "You will spend the afternoon with Rin." She bowed and followed him out, bowing to the mat and the door as she went. He was pleased that she knew to respect the dojo; he was also pleased that she did not complain, even though he knew she was in pain. She seemed determined to do anything he requested. Hmm, he thought, she must still feel that she has given offense. He stopped in his tracks, almost causing her to run into him, and said, "It is not you who has offended this Sesshoumaru, but rather that Q." He heard her gasp behind him and could almost feel her puzzled stare as he continued to the dining room.

Okay, that's creepy, she thought. Can he read minds or something? She was, none the less relieved that she was not guilty of offending the one who'd taken her in. She ventured to say, "He offends most people, my lord." He nodded and continued, noticing that her walk was more relaxed.

Rin was excited to see her guardian and guest, running up and hugging his leg and peeking back at her, smiling. Bekka noticed that when Sesshoumaru patted Rin on the head, he softened a little, but still seemed very distant from the girl. Rin, however, was very satisfied with the affection and began burbling about her morning of chasing Jaken and of picking flowers.

A harried looking man, shorter than Bekka, was standing at the entrance to the dining room, clutching a staff and glaring at Bekka, who smiled nervously at him. The way he reacted, though, one would have thought she'd struck him. "Lord Sesshoumaru, that creature is making faces at me."

"Jaken, do you wish to inspect the boundaries of my lands?"

"No, my lord, no."

"Then keep quiet unless you have something useful to say."

Bekka bit her lip, worried that she'd caused a problem, when she felt her sleeve being tugged on. "Don't worry. Lord Jaken is always like that. Rin likes you. You will play with Rin after lunch, won't you?" Rin's eyes glowed with hope and excitement.

"Of course, Rin. We can play whatever you'd like," Bekka replied, smiling at the little girl.

"You will play more music for Rin?"

Bekka couldn't help but grin, "Yes, but would you like to play the violin, too?"

"Violin? What is a violin?"

"The instrument I played last night.'

"Rin can learn? Oh, yes, please, Rin would like that!" Rin bounced on her toes and Bekka was pleased that she'd figured out a way to get around her very sore arms.

After lunch, Sesshoumaru watched the two girls together until the screeching of Rin's attempts to play the violin drove him off to other business to save his delicate hearing. And so, the pattern was set for the days ahead.

A/N Well, I think two more chapters and this will be complete :D Reviews would be nice, though. Enjoy.