InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Traveler ❯ Love~part 1 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

What with one thing and another, time passed. (A/N This is a quote from The Princess Bride book…highly recommended)

One day at lunch, Sesshoumaru announced it was time to inspect his lands. Rin was excited at the prospect, especially when Sesshoumaru told Bekka, "You will join us." Jaken looked disgusted, but by now, Bekka had learned to ignore his airs.

"When do we begin, my lord?"

"In the morning. It will be a long journey."

"After lunch, Rin and I will prepare."

"Be sure to bring your violin. It wouldn't do for Rin to go without practice." Bekka almost smiled at this, knowing that Sesshoumaru had a fondness for the instrument, especially since Rin had learned to actually make pleasant noises rather than squeals and screeches. They spent the afternoon in preparations and went to bed early to be ready.

As Bekka was checking her first aid herbs, Sesshoumaru entered her room carrying a sword. He gestured at the assorted packages laid out before her, "What are those?"

"These are the herbs I use for first aid. I like to carry them on trips, just in case. This," she held up a package, "is willow bark, for pain. This is wild cherry bark for coughs and sore throats. This is geranium to prevent infection of cuts. Peppermint is for stomach issues and lemon verbena because it makes a good tea." She smiled at him.

He held out the sword to her. "It is better if you are able to defend yourself, should the need arise." She accepted the sword and bowed over it as he left the room. It was a beautiful sword, she saw when she unsheathed it, a proper samurai sword, gently curved back in a graceful arc with a deadly sharp edge. On the blade was an intricate design of a dragon. She replaced the sword in its sheath and continued getting ready, amazed at such a valuable gift.

Akiko came in, "My lady, Lord Sesshoumaru reminds you that he wishes an early start and suggests that you finish packing so that you can get enough sleep. Do you need any help, milady?"

"Thank you, Akiko. I'm almost finished here." Bekka cinched the ties on her backpack tight. "I probably have more than is stuff than is strictly needed, but if I forget it, I'll need it. Good night, Akiko."

Sunrise the next morning found them several miles away from the castle, Bekka carrying Rin, who was still sleeping on her shoulder. Even Jaken wasn't awake enough to make his usual rude remarks about the girls. Bekka had been surprised that morning when Sesshoumaru himself had woken her up rather than Akiko. He seemed eager to leave and was setting a punishing pace for the others to keep up with. Bekka frequently wondered what had him so worried but a certain tenseness about him kept her from asking. Rin was beginning to wake up, much to Bekka's relief because the girl was getting heavy to carry.

Suddenly, Sesshoumaru stopped, almost causing Bekka and Jaken to run into him. "You stay here," he told Bekka, "and keep Rin with you." Bekka nodded and sat down and took off her pack. They were near the edge of a clearing. In the clearing was a strange looking white thing. Bekka tried to get a better look at it, but a barely audible growl from Sesshoumaru caused her to sit back down. Sesshoumaru and Jaken walked on into the clearing.

"Naraku, why have you sent you puppet onto my lands?" Bekka strained to hear what was being said. She wondered what Naraku was and why it was a puppet.

"Ah, Sesshoumaru, I have only come to claim that which has been promised to me," the white thing replied. She still couldn't see it well enough to tell what it was, but it made her feel queasy.

"I have promised you nothing. You have nothing to claim here. Leave now or I will destroy you."

"I never said you promised it to me. I do have something to claim here. I was given the red-headed one. She is said to be entertaining."

Bekka gasped and really began to feel ill at this statement. There was only one creature who would dare to do something so low. As she thought this, her queasiness turned to anger, both at Q and at this Naraku. She was about to get up when Rin distracted her by asking for some food. Bekka could not be mad at Rin, however, especially when she heard Sesshoumaru's response.

"I am not in the habit of turning over members of my household, especially to the likes of you."

"Then I suppose I'll just have to take her."

Suddenly, Bekka found herself wrapped in something foul and thick. It pinned her arms to her sides so that she could not use her sword and kicking had no effect on the thing. Almost as suddenly, she was sitting on the ground again, this time in the clearing. She scrambled to her feet, drawing her sword at the same time, facing this Naraku. It looks like a mutated octopus, she thought.

"Ah, the little one has a sword. This should be fun," came Naraku's voice from the octopus thing.

Again, he attacked her. This time, however, she neatly evaded his tentacle and cut it off. To her horror, it grew right back. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Sesshoumaru also cutting at tentacles, but he also appeared to be flying over them, trying to attack the main section of the creature. Bekka's attention was drawn back to her own battle, as the tentacles were coming at her fast and thick. She was just barely able to keep up with them when there was a bright flash of light and a voice yelled, "Behind you!" She turned and saw several more tentacles coming at her and continued to fend them off. A blur of red and white flashed through her vision and again the voice spoke, "Why don't you leave the fighting to the real fighters."

"Would that I could, but he's kinda after me and I doubt he'd let me do that. Who are you, anyway?"

Another voice yelled, "InuYasha, shut up and focus on Naraku." Bekka spared a glance and saw a girl dressed in a sailor style shirt with a short skirt holding a bow, arrow ready to fly. Again, tentacles demanded her attention before she could get a better look.

"Feh, girls, always sticking together," the one in red, InuYasha, said, but he continued to attack

From beside her, another voice spoke, "Why is Naraku after you?" This speaker was a guy, dressed in blue and purple robes using a staff very effectively.

"Apparently, I was promised to him," Bekka's tone was bitter.

"Why was that?" the man asked her.

"Long story, kinda busy now, but I'll tell ya later, `kay?"

"Sure, look forward to it."

She could see Sesshoumaru near the thing's center, along with that InuYasha person. He must be a demon, too, she thought, because he appears to be flying as well. The two struck hard at the center of the mass of tentacles and the tentacles dissolved, ending the battle suddenly. Bekka couldn't help but gape at the small spindle of wood with thread or hair wrapped around it that was all that remained of their erstwhile foe. Sesshoumaru picked up the thing and cut it in half and it too dissolved. It was then she remembered that the thing claimed to have been promised her.

"Q, you son of degenerate pond scum! You foul leavings of a dieing goat, show your detestable face, you…." She screamed to the sky in general, interrupted by a coolly amused voice.

"Pungent, aren't we?" Q had appeared behind her, dressed in royal apparel, reclining on a couch.

"Why have you promised me to that thing that was here? I'm playing your game, what more do you want from me?"

"You are not playing, dear Absinthe. You have done nothing to cooperate. I have been very patient with you."

"Bekka!!!! My name is Bekka! But, then, I wouldn't expect someone like you to be able to remember that. You can't even remember what game you set."

"You were to teach Lord Sesshoumaru what it means to love. You have not even discussed the topic with him. You avoid the topic and have made no progress whatsoever. I weary of waiting for you to get started."

"You want me to explain what love is?" Bekka's voice was incredulous and irritated. "Fine, okay, as you wish." Bekka turned to face Sesshoumaru, "My lord, love is not weakness. Love is that which makes the impossible not only possible but probable. Love turns weak women into forces to be reckoned with when their children are in danger. Love changes the world. Love is the most potent force in nature, conquering time, danger, even death. Love turns criminals into nobles and nobles into gods. Without love there is no passion. Without passion, no ambition. Without ambition, nothing is accomplished. That is love."

"Pity you waited so long to explain, little Absinthe," Q sneered, "because I've already made a deal for you."

Bekka gritted her teeth, turning just her head to look at him, "Then I guess I'll just have to go about canceling that little agreement. Go!" Bekka left the clearing abruptly and walked into the surrounding forest.

"Ungrateful little wench!" Q huffed and vanished leaving a confused tableau.