InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth About Cats and Dogs ❯ Kagome's Lesson ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Recap: Kirara ran away from Sesshomaru to return to her friends without the needed antidotes. Kagome became annoyed at the exchanges between Inuyasha and Kirara.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Chapter 10 - Kagome's Lesson
 
After a long day of travelling, Sango was glad to sit down by a fire and enjoy some food. She was so tired, she hoped the others would agree to just set up camp and sleep. They were still no closer to finding Naraku or the sacred jewel, and after the stress of almost losing her best friend, Sango was nothing short of exhausted.
 
“Sango?” Miroku whispered, shuffling closer to her.
 
“Yes, Miroku?” she responded, shifting her eyes to him.
 
“Do you see what I see?” Miroku asked, moving his eyes from Sango's to look across the fire.
 
Sango copied his action, frowning at what she saw. Inuyasha and Kirara were sitting very close together, talking and laughing between themselves. Beyond Kirara's shoulder, Sango could see Kagome sitting back from the group, moodily stabbing at her food with her chopsticks, her eyes glaring at the back of Kirara's head.
 
“Do you think I should say something to Kirara?” Sango whispered to Miroku.
 
“Not right now,” Miroku replied. “But maybe in the morning. I'll speak to Inuyasha if you speak to Kirara.”
 
“Okay.”
 
Sango turned her attention back to Inuyasha and Kirara, unable to hide her confusion from forming a frown on her face. Surely there was nothing going on between Inuyasha and Kirara? Kirara had made it quite clear that cat demons and dog demons hated each other, so on Kirara's part, she could not understand why she could develop feeling for Inuyasha. And on Inuyasha's part, Sango had always believed that Inuyasha's heart was preoccupied with Kikyo and Kagome.
 
But, she thought to herself, if there was something developing between Inuyasha and Kagome, it could well mean trouble for them all.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Sango woke a little before sunrise, looking around herself in a daze. Something had awoken her, but she could not be sure what. She felt sure someone had been looking at her, but everyone appeared to be asleep. Miroku was sleeping by her feet, Shippo was sleeping by her head, and at the other side of the dying fire, Inuyasha was dozing in his usual sitting position, with Kirara curled up on the ground at his side, her head resting on his knee.
 
Sango slowly moved her eyes beyond Kirara, finding Kagome lying awake, staring at Inuyasha and Kirara.
 
Sango closed her eyes and put her head down again, deciding to pretend that she had gone back to sleep. Things were not looking too good.
 
But, as hard as she tried, Sango could not get back to sleep. Instead she lay awake, her eyes closed as she feigned sleep, her mind racing. Becoming lost in her thoughts, she eventually came to the conclusion that Kirara's interactions with Inuyasha could only mean one of two things: either she genuinely had developed feeling for him, or she was doing it to get at someone else.
 
Thinking more about the situation, Sango began to think back to all the times she had confided her secrets to what she had thought was her pet cat. Could Kirara remember everything that she had ever said? And moreover, Kirara certainly had a bold personality, why had she never noticed it before? Had Kirara lost part of her personality when she fell under Midoriko's spell, or was it just that, without words, she had been unable to express herself before now?
 
As Sango debated the issue in her mind, she began to realise that there were many things she did not yet know about Kirara, questions she should have asked her when she first gained her human form. Sango decided that, once she and Miroku had sorted out what was happening between Kirara and Inuyasha, she would make a conscious effort to get to know Kirara better. Kirara knew everything about her she had spent most of her life talking at her, now it was time for her to listen.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
“Did you sleep well, Kirara?” Sango asked, moving over to her friend's side as the gang readied themselves to commence their journey once more.
 
“Yes,” Kirara vaguely replied, looking down at her arms with a small smile.
 
“Your wounds are all healed, that's good,” Sango said.
 
“Yes, my strength had been fully restored,” Kirara said with a smile.
 
“So…” Sango began as the group started to walk on. “What did happen to you when you went back for the antidotes?”
 
“I got side-tracked.”
 
“Yes. You met Sesshomaru again?”
 
Kirara paused, her face flinching before she answered.
 
“Yes,” she eventually said. “And he was as rude and horrid as ever. Not at all like his younger brother…”
 
Sango watched Kirara smile at Inuyasha, deciding that this served as an ideal opportunity for her to discuss Kirara's relationship with the half-demon.
 
“About Inuyasha,” she began. “You and him seem very close?”
 
“We are all friends, aren't we?” Kirara asked innocently, moving her eyes back to Sango as she spoke.
 
“Of course,” Sango replied. “But at times it seems like you and Inuyasha are more than just friends.”
 
Kirara smiled coyly.
 
“Does it?” she asked.
 
“Yes, it does,” Sango replied. “Are you more than just friends?”
 
“Perhaps,” Kirara said enigmatically.
 
“Kirara, I hope you know what you're doing,” Sango warned her.
 
“Do you trust me, Sango?” Kirara asked, turning her head towards Sango.
 
“Of course I do-”
 
“Alright then.”
 
Sango yelped as Kirara quickened her pace, falling into step with Inuyasha, leaving her behind.
 
“Well?” Miroku asked, stepping back to walk alongside Sango.
 
“I don't understand it,” Sango replied with a sigh.
 
“Oh Sango, don't worry yourself too much about it,” Miroku casually replied, his hand moving towards her as he spoke.
 
“Don't even think about it, Miroku,” Sango warned him.
 
“Think about what?” Miroku asked as his hand smoothed over the curve of Sango's rear-end.
 
The others turned their heads with a frown as a loud cracking noise resounded behind them, finding Sango looking furious and Miroku sporting a red handprint on one cheek.
 
“Does he never learn?” Shippo asked anyone who cared to listen.
 
“Oh look, a river!” Kirara called out. “We can catch some fresh fish.”
 
The others nodded their agreement, and the gang turned off of the path, heading down the bank to where the river ran. As they neared the water's edge, Kirara sped up, running into the water hard, splashing water everywhere.
 
“Kirara!” Sango blurted, reaching an arm up to shield herself from the splashes of water.
 
“Suddenly that woman has become…” Miroku began, his face dropping as he spoke. “Somewhat less attractive…”
 
“Oh, Kirara!” Sango groaned, before burying her face in her hands.
 
Kirara ignored both Miroku and Sango, continuing to dunk her head under the water in search of fish. Even Inuyasha recoiled when she surfaced with a large fish lodged between her jaws and a positively feral look of delight dancing across her bright green eyes.
 
“Weird,” Kagome muttered.
 
“Hey Inuyasha, don't you want to join me?” she called to Inuyasha.
 
Kagome yelped as Kirara threw her latest catch at her, hitting her across the face with it.
 
“Wow, I want this one!” Shippo chirped, grabbing the fish as it fell from Kagome's face.
 
Kagome growled, her face reddening as she turned to Kirara.
 
“I swear, if the water wasn't so deep, I'd go in there and show her a thing or two…” she muttered under her breath.
 
“Can you catch fish like Kirara too, Kagome?” Shippo asked, his demon ears picking up her every word.
 
“Why would I even want to?” Kagome snapped.
 
Shippo shrugged his shoulders indifferently.
 
“That's the way Kirara has always caught fish,” he pointed out.
 
Sango, having heard Shippo's last remark, made a small noise of realisation in the back of her throat, lifting her face from her hands.
 
“Kirara!” she called to her friend. “You don't have to fish like a cat any more! You can use your hands now!”
 
Kirara held her hands out in front of herself, turning her palms upwards and studying them carefully.
 
“Fish with my hands?” she said slowly.
 
“Yes,” Sango and Miroku replied in unison.
 
“But that's no fun!” Kirara called back, frowning at them as though they had gone mad.
 
Sango groaned in frustration and Kagome growled as both Shippo and Inuyasha ran into the water. Shippo began trying to emulate the fire-cat demon he was so fond of, dunking his head under the water at the first flash of sunlight reflecting off the scales of a fish. Being so small, Shippo was knocked off balance by the current, tumbling over under water as the river began to drag him downstream.
 
“Shippo!” Inuyasha groaned, grabbing a hand into the water.
 
“Ow!” Shippo wailed as Inuyasha lifted him out by the tail. “Couldn't you have found a less painful way to save me?”
 
“Stay outta my way, Shippo!” Inuyasha gruffly replied, wading over to the bank and dropping Shippo down by the water's edge.
 
“No fair!” Shippo whimpered as he turned around to sit down facing the cat and the dog.
 
“Inuyasha does have a point, Shippo,” Kirara called over to him. “It's not safe for you. Stay there with Kagome where you're safe.”
 
Kagome began to grumble at the reference made to her, folding her arms and turning her head to one side. Sango and Miroku exchanged looks of confusion and worry; but, once again, Shippo's ultra-sensitive demon ears heard every word Kagome uttered.
 
“But Kagome, why would Kirara want to stick her head up there?” he asked her.
 
Kagome's face turned scarlet, but she remained quiet. Sango and Miroku both stared at Kagome in shock, before turning, in unison, to Kirara. Kirara was standing watching Kagome, the smallest trace of a smile just visible on her lips.
 
“Inuyasha,” she said slyly. “I'm going to make you wet…”
 
Kagome turned her head sharply, the bright red colour draining from her face as she turned deathly pale.
 
“What are you talking about, you crazy cat?” Inuyasha sneered, eying Kirara over sceptically.
 
“This!” Kirara replied, launching herself at Inuyasha.
 
“Ki-”
 
Inuyasha's voice was cut off as Kirara collided with him, sending him flying backwards, where he landed hard across the surface of the water, sending waves of water over both banks. Once under the surface of the water, Inuyasha quickly tore Kirara off of him, clawing his way to the surface, where he stood abruptly, thigh-deep in water, his long silver hair plastered to the sides of his face and his clothing drenched and clinging to his frame.
 
“What's gotten into you, Kirara?” he barked as she shot out of the water next to him.
 
“Oh, lighten up, Inuyasha!” Kirara laughed, chopping one hand into the water and splashing him.
 
Inuyasha closed his eyes, baring his fangs as he growled indignantly, the water dripping from his hair and face.
 
“It's fun,” Kirara added.
 
“Oh yeah?” Inuyasha grunted. “Let's see how much fun you think it is if I do this!”
 
Inuyasha shoved the heel of one hand into Kirara's shoulder, causing her to stumble and lose her balance. As she lifted one leg slightly, Inuyasha grabbed his hand under the water, grabbing the back of her knee and lifting upwards. She barely had time to let out a mew of alarm before she had hit the water hard, creating another large splash like Inuyasha's body had done.
 
“Hey you're right, Kirara,” Inuyasha said smugly as she resurfaced. “This is fun!”
 
Kirara speared Inuyasha's mid-section, but he was prepared for her attack, and he quickly spun around, pushing her under the water beneath him. As the duo continued to frolic in the water, Sango and Miroku were left mulling over what to do next; Kagome was still standing stiffly, glaring out at Kirara, her face twisted with repressed emotions.
 
“Kagome, are you alright?” Sango called to her.
 
“If you still had Kirara, I'd ask to borrow her right now,” Kagome darkly replied. “But since I can't do that, and we're too far from the well for me to cycle back on my own, I suppose I can't go home just yet. But as soon as I get the chance, I'm leaving.”
 
Sango turned to Miroku, glad to see that he was as alarmed as she was by Kagome's threat.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Kirara quietly thanked Sango as she handed her a fire-roasted fish. Kirara sat quietly down by Sango's side, biting into her meal. Sango glanced between Kirara, Inuyasha - who was perched up in a tree once more - and Kagome, who was sitting far away from the group, diligently poring over her schoolbooks.
 
“Kirara,” Sango began slowly. “What exactly were you thinking, playing around with Inuyasha like that earlier?”
 
“I was having fun,” Kirara replied through a mouthful of food.
 
“Kirara, surely you know Kagome has feelings for Inuyasha?” Sango pointed out.
 
“Oh I know. I intend to draw them out.”
 
“What?”
 
“Trust me.”
 
Sango faltered, a small part of her screaming inside. Somehow, whenever Kirara said the words “trust me”, Sango knew it only meant more trouble. And, moreover, Sango had finally decided on exactly why Kirara was acting up; she had not yet decided on a way to broach the subject, however. But, she thought to herself, since Kirara was so candid with all her thoughts, opinions and feelings, surely Kirara would appreciate it if her best friend told her exactly what was on her mind.
 
“It won't work,” Sango said, trying to sound firm in her convictions.
 
“On the contrary, I think it is working already,” Kirara calmly replied.
 
“All you are going to do is get Kagome angry and jealous!” Sango pointed out.
 
“I think that has already happened.”
 
Sango frowned, pausing for a moment as she tried to find the logic in Kirara's calm response.
 
“Don't you care that Kagome is upset?” she eventually asked.
 
“Don't worry, I don't want to really upset her, just a little,” Kirara calmly replied.
 
“You want to upset Kagome?” Sango echoed. “That is your intention?”
 
“Yes. What else would it be?”
 
“Wait, why do you want to upset her?”
 
“Because, just like you, Miroku and even Shippo, I am tired of watching her wasting her own time and everyone else's. She needs to learn to just come out and say what she thinks and how she feels.”
 
“You're doing this because you think it will make her tell Inuyasha how she feels about him?”
 
“Exactly. Wait, why did you think I was doing this?”
 
Sango gulped quietly as she saw the confused look on Kirara's face, wondering if she should dare tell her what she really thought.
 
“Sango?” Kirara pressed.
 
“Alright, I thought maybe you were doing it to anger Sesshomaru,” Sango confessed. “I know how much you hate him, and I remember you saying he told you he was ashamed of Inuyasha for associating with you.”
 
Kirara laughed, much to Sango's relief.
 
“I thought you might be angry with me for thinking that,” Sango added.
 
“No, I just think it's rather funny that you believe I would give Lord Sesshomaru so much thought,” Kirara replied.
 
“Oh good!” Sango gushed. “And now you promise you won't take this thing with Inuyasha too far?”
 
“Of course.”
 
“Good.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Later that day, as the sun began to sink low in the sky, the group took a break, having still found no clue as to where Naraku was hiding. Inuyasha climbed up a tree and sat alone, Miroku and Sango sat together, Shippo sat under a tree drawing with the new box of crayons Kagome had given him, leaving Kirara and Kagome alone together.
 
“Inuyasha is very quiet, isn't he?” Kirara commented, walking over to where Kagome sat on the ground.
 
“He wasn't quiet earlier,” Kagome moodily replied. “He sure had plenty to say to you.”
 
Kirara suppressed the urge to grin, turning to glance at Inuyasha up the tree.
 
“It's very hard for Inuyasha to express his deepest feelings,” she said slowly, turning back to Kagome again.
 
“Oh?” Kagome responded her sarcasm barely concealed.
 
“Yes,” Kirara continued. “All his life he had been alone, and any displays of emotion were seen as a weakness. Sometimes he can't always say what he means, so he just gets angry. And it is not that he is angry with anyone else, he is just frustrated within himself, because he doesn't know how to say how he feels or what he is thinking.”
 
Kagome lifted her head, turning to Kirara with a frown.
 
“What are you getting at?” she asked, her interest peaked at last.
 
“Kagome, Inuyasha has a very passionate heart,” Kirara explained. “He gets passionately angry, but he could also be passionately in love. He expresses himself the only way he knows how.”
 
“You mean he starts beating up Shippo,” Kagome offered.
 
“Usually, yes,” Kirara replied with a small smile. “But it's important to remember that Inuyasha needs a little patience from us all.”
 
“Meaning?”
 
“Meaning the next time you have a silly argument with him over Koga, or something equally as pointless, and Inuyasha started shouting and bawling, don't tell him to sit.”
 
“What? Why not? It's the only thing that stops him!”
 
“I believe if you give a little, you can receive a little in return. Give Inuyasha freedom to express himself, and you might find something good comes of it.”
 
Kagome frowned up at Kirara, still looking less than convinced by her words.
 
“And Kagome?” Kirara said, turning to meet her eyes.
 
“Yes?” Kagome responded.
 
“Just tell him how you feel,” Kirara bluntly replied, ignoring the red colour than instantly flushed Kagome's cheeks. “Trust me, it's the best thing to do.”
 
“I don't know what you're talking about, Inuyasha and I are just friends-”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“You're not convincing me with that lie, so I must assume you say it only to reassure yourself. Be honest with yourself. And be honest with those you love. Trust me.”
 
Kagome's face turned slightly red again, and she eyed Kirara over angrily at the accusation, her expression suggesting that she thought Kirara was the last person anyone should trust.
 
“I preferred you when you were a cute, cuddly little cat,” Kagome said flatly, wiping off her hands and rising to her feet.
 
“And I believe you,” Kirara replied.
 
“I was being serious,” Kagome said. “I'm going to do what you've suggested, but not because you told me to do it, just because I want to prove to you that you're wrong. Watch me.”
 
“I assure you I shall,” Kirara said, bowing as Kagome walked past her.
 
Kirara lifted one hand to cover the grin that appeared on her face as she watched Kagome approach the foot of the tree Inuyasha was perched in. This, Kirara thought to herself, was just one more reason why she was so glad Sango had been the one to break the spell. Kirara dearly loved both Inuyasha and Kagome, and she had always hoped that they would be together one day. But, over time, she had watched as obstacle after obstacle made things more difficult for them, the winds of fate forcing them apart more often than it blew them together.
 
But, Kirara thought to herself, that was all about to change. Kirara had felt it was important for her to help Kagome, as Kagome was, in many ways, just like her old friend Midoriko had been, and not just in her immense spiritual powers. Kirara had watched Midoriko live a lonely life, and she did not want the same for Kagome, especially when it was so obvious that Kagome was in love with Inuyasha. And likewise, Kirara had felt Inuyasha's pain, the isolation he had felt growing up in a world where he was accepted by neither humans nor demons. In particular, Kirara had watched Inuyasha suffer inwardly when he was confronted with the half-demon child Shiori. Inuyasha had handled the whole situation with a sense of mind and sense of heart that Kirara had never thought she would see in most humans pure of soul, least of all a rough and ready half-demon like Inuyasha.
 
And, Kirara thought to herself, Inuyasha's ability to handle that situation, as well as many others she had watched him work through, had doubtlessly been helped along by Kagome's influence in his life; which was just one more reason why the two belonged together.
 
“You look pleased with yourself,” Sango whispered, poking Kirara in the elbow as she joined her at her side. “Did your crazy little plan work?”
 
“I don't know yet,” Kirara confessed. “But we will soon find out.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Next Chapter: Kagome tells Inuyasha how she truly feels about him, but will she get the reaction that she wants? Kirara plays cupid again, and the gang get an unusual surprise… Chapter 11 - Inuyasha's Heart.