InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected ❯ The Day Off ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One:
 
Inuyasha ran his fingers through his silver hair as he studied the file in front of him. He looked at the clock through the corner of his eye after realizing that this was worthless. 2:30 in the morning. Damn. He leaned back in his chair and sighed. He was pretty much the only one in the building. No one beside him was on a pretty big case-or…at least he was.
 
The chief had officially closed the case Inuyasha had been working on for weeks, but he didn't want to let it go. 'There's got to be something I'm missing.' He thought. Having no leads, or any type of strong evidence left him in the dust. There was no way he was going to be able to solve this case and he knew it. He had nothing in his favor. Including no partner.
 
His last partner, Kikyo, had been fired after she shot and killed a man who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. She knew she was taking a huge risk by shooting after the suspect of an earlier case in the middle of a crowded sidewalk. But she didn't care. That was probably one of the main reasons Inuyasha hated her so much. She was cold--she had no heart whatsoever. Ever since that day on the sidewalk, whenever he thought of Kikyo, he thought of the reaction Kikyo had given when he yelled at her. He knew he wasn't going to get tears or anything, thank god.
 
When it came to women, that was his weakness…tears. If he saw a woman cry. He'd end up crushed from guilt. He if it wasn't him who made them cry. It was so embarrassing. But anyways, he had at least expected some sort of regret or apology toward the-now dead man. But did it come? No. All he got was a shrug. "The man was in my way. It's not like I did it on purpose." She had said. Right to his face…
 
"What are you still doing here?"
 
Inuyasha turned around in his seat. "What am I doing here? What are you doing here? It's not like you have a case to stress over."
 
The man just sighed. His raven hair was just long enough to hang below his ear, which was pulled back in a ponytail at the base on his neck. Miroku was a grade A pervert though. Oh grant it, he did somehow have a girlfriend, Sango. But he only care about 3 things: Work, his beloved Sango, and sex. He was tall, not as tall as Inuyasha but tall.
 
Miroku was Inuyasha's best friend and very early ex partner. They were perfect together on the force. But for some reason the chief brought in a few rookies and split the two friends up to get new partners.
 
" Inuyasha," he began, " Toutousai closed the case yesterday. You are not suppose to be stressing over anything. He was right when he said there was no way you were going to get anywhere with what you have. You've been working on this case for weeks and you don't even have a suspect as to who could've killed the girl."
 
Inuyasha tried to ignore him but, like Toutousai, he was right. There was no use.
Inuyasha let out a sigh in frustration, closed the file, and had no choice but to write in the corner of the folder in front of him COLD CASE FILE-MAY 16TH, 2006. That was like torture having to do that. He'd only had to do that once in the three years he'd been working on homicide cases.
 
He tossed it at the corner of his desk, making a mental note to put that in with the cold cases when he got back Monday. He would've been back tomorrow but he was taking a three day weekend-off the clock. This-the chief guaranteed. If they needed someone on homicide, they'd bring in the next one available. The last thing the man wanted was a break though. But Toutousai didn't want him going on anymore cases until his new partner got here. Who was going to be here Monday.
 
Without a word, Inuyasha got up from his chair and grabbed his jacket. "There, you see? Don't you feel like a ton of weight has been lifted off you're shoulders?" Miroku followed him when he headed for the door.
 
"No."
 
"Why not? I swear Inuyasha, if you stress all weekend over the case you're going po-"
 
"I'm not going to stress over the girl." Miroku could sense the annoyance in his friends voice.
 
"Oh? Then what are so up-tight about?"
 
" Monday."
 
" Monday?" Inuyasha didn't answer. He just left Miroku to think about Monday. He knew he was getting a new partner. " Monday…what's happening Monday?"
 
Inuyasha shook his head. He looked at Miroku to see him deep in thought. " You're pathetic."
 
" Now why would you say that? And what's going on Monday?"
He really did forget. Inuyasha thought as he unlocked his car. " My new partner. Remember. You know-the one that's suppose to be replacing the queen of bitches!"
 
" Oh yeah…" Miroku smiled wickedly.
 
He's thinking of something perverted no doubt. I've been friends with this dumb ass since 3rd grade and I still don't get him. How is it possible to find something perverted out of that? Inuyasha got in his car.
 
" So…do you think she'll be hot?"
 
"Who said it'll be a woman? Besides, you've got your own partner to deal with. Where is Sango anyways?"
 
"Back the apartment." Miroku leaned against Inuyasha's car.
"And why aren't you there with her instead of bugging the hell out of me?" Inuyasha started the car.
 
"She's mad at me."
 
"Did she catch you staring at the waitress again?" Inuyasha knew the partners/couple had gone out to dinner. He also knew that Sango would catch Miroku staring at the waitress that was given to them and that any chance of getting a good fucking on Miroku's part tonight would be ruined.
 
" How'd you know?"
 
Inuyasha chuckled as he started to drive, Miroku still leaning on the car. "Do you really have to ask?" he asked as he slowly drove past his friend.
 
~*~
 
"Hey Souta! Can you get the last box out of the car for me?" Kagome set the box she was holding on the floor in her now new bedroom.
 
"Sure, sis!" The raven haired boy called back before she heard the front door shut. She let out a sigh of satisfaction before she walked out into the living room and let herself fall on the couch that was just placed there by the moving men-whom she could barley afford.
 
Hopefully this was the last move her and her brother had to make. This would've been the 3rd move in two and a half years for them. All for jobs that Kagome was lucky enough to get. Besides the money it cost to move, Kagome didn't mind it. Especially now since this was where she grew up. All the other moves had been to places that were practically isolated. Don't think that she didn't like those places-she did. Sometimes it could be relaxing. But she had always worked with the police and since there wasn't really a population, there weren't many cases to work on. But that wasn't the main reason why she liked this move. This move was to a place both Souta and herself knew. It was a familiar place. Yeah, some of the memories around here weren't that pleasant, but still. It was…home.
 
"Hey Kagome!" Souta called from the other side of the door, "Can you open the door for me? This box is freakin heavy!"
 
Kagome opened the door for her brother, who was barley able to keep his balance from the weight in his arms. " Here let me take that." The girl chuckled and took the cardboard box from the 15 year old.
 
"Thanks. Hey can I call Kisa and let her know we're here?" Souta was eager.
 
"You two are still going out? So that long-distance-relationship worked out."
"Yeah." The boy admitted sheepishly.
 
"So you've been going together for what?"
 
"Since a little before we started moving." He answered quickly. Kagome laughed.
Watching Souta and Kisa was cute. They'd known each other for a while and actually became an 'item' not too long ago. " Well? Can I call her?"
 
" Yeah, here." Kagome reached for her pocket and pulled out her phone. "Use my cell-the ground phone isn't hooked up yet."
 
Souta took the phone, " Thanks." And with that, he was sucked into the world of Kisa.
 
Kagome opened the box that had canned and sealed foods-or…it was suppose to have food in it there was only a couple bags of pretzels and chips. They had no food yet. Note to self: do some grocery shopping tomorrow and call out for pizza in a hour.
 
~*~
 
"This better be good!" Inuyasha yelled into the phone. It was eight am on his day off and he was not going to get out of his bed until at least 11.
 
"Sorry, no ones dead if that's what you're thinking." Miroku seemed almost amused.
 
"Dammit Miroku! What do you want?" Inuyasha was not a morning person. And Miroku knew that. But many times he would call him up in the morning for the hell of it just to get best friend's reaction. It was gold. He even got Sango to do it every now and then. The down side to this was instead of just the daily smack in the face from his beloved Sango, he also got a dull horn growing out from the back of his head from the concussion Inuyasha would give him when he saw him again.
 
"I was just wondering what you were doing tonight."
 
"I am not leaving this apartment." Inuyasha informed sternly.
 
"Oh come on you're not going anywhere?"
 
" No."
 
"Why not? Sango and I going to Farenheight. Why don't you come?" Miroku urged.
 
" Why, so I sit there and watch you two eat each other's faces? No thanks."
 
Miroku almost sounded hurt. " We do not eat each other's faces."
 
" Whatever I'm not going anywhere, now leave me the fuck alone so I can sleep!"
" Inuyasha I-" But man hung up a threw his phone on the floor.
 
He turned over and tried to go to sleep but Miroku's phone call made his brain start to work again and there was no chance of getting anymore sleep.
 
" Damn Miroku…" he mumbled a few choice words as he claimed out of bed and slumped his way to the kitchen.
 
Inuyasha reached in a cupboard for a ramen but all his hand met was cold wood. He looked in to find he was out. God Dammit…now I gotta go out a pick some up. Shit, I gotta get dressed too.
 
~*~
 
" Oh Kagommmmmeeeeeeee…" Kagome opened her eyes to see that Souta had his camera on her. Taping the god awfulness of Kagome Higurashi in the morning.
 
Ever since he new what a camera was, Souta had always wanted to be a director and taped just about everything and everyone, mainly Kagome and her embarrassing moments. But his sister never minded. She'd do anything for him. He was her best friends and Kagome his. She'd even sing in front of him-or lip sink into a hair brush when she was really hyper. He still had those tapes.
 
" Aw Souta not now. Get that thing out of my face." She mumbled as she pulled the covers over her head.
 
Souta pulled them down.
 
" Get up sunshine. You gotta get some things done before you start work on Monday. And go shopping. There's nothing to eat in this place."
 
"I've got three days. And you'll live. Now get that thing out of my face!"
 
"I can't. I'm making a documentary on the waking of the Kagome." Souta answered, "And besides, if you ever actually get a boyfriend, I can always pull this tape out when you're not around. But that's only if you ever develop a life beyond you're work."
 
Kagome was a cop on homicide. Yeah, she was only 21 but her school was one of the few k-12 schools in Japan that had programs to help get an early start on training to be what she was. She hadn't been on the job long, but she was a damn good cop. One of the only reasons she was able to get a job was the excellent rep. she had. But honestly, it's not like she had a choice. Kagome had to work her ass off in order provide for her 15 year old brother. She and Souta didn't have anyone. Their father had walked out on them when she was just 13 and her mother died of cancer when Kagome was 17. Their grandfather just died of old age a while back.
She knew where her father was. Over in America somewhere-Florida or something. She wasn't sure. But he had his money and other family with some freakin Barbie and a little boy-hey-being a cop had some advantages. But Kagome never told Souta about their father. But then again, Kagome never once, since the day he left them, considered him as their father. She hated him. And she couldn't help it.
But Souta didn't, he couldn't hate any one. Even some of the assholes he'd gone to school with. The person he'd ever disliked in any way was Koga-one of the few ex's Kagome had when she was younger. Who was a bastard who multiple times tried to get her in bed. Even had tried to use force at one point. But that was a whole other story. Kagome didn't talk about it.
 
Kagome couldn't help but chuckle. " Shut up brat." She said playfully. " At least I'm not obsessed with your beloved Kisa.
 
" I am not obsessed. Now get out of bed!" Souta ordered.
 
" No!"
 
" Fine, if you won't get up willingly…" Souta set the camera on tower of boxes so it pointed at Kagome and creped over to her bed. " Then you'll have to get up by force."
 
And with that Souta pinched his sisters sides and Kagome burst out laughing.
 
" Stop! That's not fair! You cheated!" Kagome shot up from her bed.
 
" I did not cheat! I simply know how to play the game."
 
" Tickling me is cheating! I can't use that against you!"
 
" No, you just throw your food at me when I'm not looking."
 
" Oh please, the last time I'd that was in high school. Get over it!"
 
" Yeah and you started the biggest food fight in the Fuji school history!"
 
Kagome sighed with satisfaction, " I did, didn't I?"
 
 
" Yeah, now get up before I tickle you again."
 
" You are cruel. What time is it?" She looked at the clock. 8:30. " What? You woke me up at 8:30 in the morning? God, what happened with the only thing teen boys ever wanted do was sleep?"
 
" Actually I woke you up at eight, you just take a really long time to get up and I'm not you're average teen boy now am I."
" You suck." Kagome mumbled as she crawled out of bed and towards the bathroom.
 
" I heard that!"
 
Author's Note: I know, it's a short chapter, but this is the first time I've ever posted any of my stories online so if it's bad, cut me some slack. And hopefully there won't be any long delays in writing this story.