InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Their Daughter's Journey ❯ Ambush ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“What was he like?” Kikyou wondered aloud. Satoshi's wounds had been successfully bandaged, and now he rested against the wooden wall of the Higurashi household. The boy pressed his pointer to his chin in thought. He looked to the young girl sitting to his side, then shifted to her twin.
“You don't remember?”
“Not much,” Kikyou replied, clasping the material of her kimono. “I only remember a few things. I can't remember his face since I was so young.”
Shirou scoffed, his arms folded in a manner similar to his father. “Who cares? He's dead, isn't he? Then it doesn't matter what he was like.”
Kikyou caught the tinge of jealously in his tone. He, with a temper like his father, did not approve of the mention of his older sibling's name. Being Kikyou's only living brother, he felt a sense of pride when having to protect her. However, she always asked about Sesono and shunned away from him. This was due to his attitude, treating her like a glass figure, yet he never seemed to notice.
“Your brother was amazing.” Those five words churned Shirou's stomach. He was only five, he thought, there's no way someone could be amazing so young. “Even at such a young age, he could both life and transform your father's sword.”
Shirou's eyes widened. He had never dared to touch his father's sword. Father kept it close to him throughout all hours of the day, always worried of the chance that some tragedy may occur. Yet, his elder brother had even managed to bring out its true form and lift the gigantic fang, which he never could. He felt himself sink back, drawing himself into the background.
“He really did that?” Kikyou asked, pondering it within her mind.
“Yeah. As I recall, he was unable to lift it far off of the ground, though.”
“What else?” Her eyes gleamed with admiration for her friend who knew so well of the loved one that she lost. She had never been able to talk about him with her family. They were far too upset over his loss.
“He always watched over you.”
Her eyes narrowed. She could never forget that.
Both hanyous' ears twitched. Their eyes shifted to the opening of the hut. They could hear people rushing towards them, desperately striving to reach their home. Five sets of feet hit the ground, all heading in the same direction. Their scents were memorable.
“What is it?” Satoshi asked, grabbing hold of the knife he hid under his haori.
“Our parents,” stated Shirou, not to happy a mood. Something was wrong, “and your sister.”
Satoshi spun around, facing the doorway just as they had. Relief washed over his expression. Did that mean the village was saved?
“There's so much blood,” Kikyou whispered, a face of disbelief. All of them were hurt. Even her great father had not escaped unscathed.
Satoshi's smile vanished. Once more, he removed his knife from his haori, stood, and clasped the staff he had brought with them. At this point, even he could sense something. There was danger approaching. With each second that paced by, the dark feeling in his stomach grew larger.
The boy scaled along the wooden walls, peeking out at the dark skies that loomed above. It was still midday. “This is bad.”
“Yeah, I can smell their stench.”
They all peered out at the demon hoard fast approaching. Their kind covered the sky, so much so that they stood no chance of fending them off by themselves. Kikyou swallowed as she watched them near. Before this moment, the only demon she had witnessed was Karo. Her father made sure of that. With no real combat experience, how could they fight back?
She sniffed the air. “Mom…”
Kagome wrapped her arms around her, dashing into the hut with the others falling close behind. She cupped her daughter's cheeks, thankful the three were safe. “I need all of you to listen to me.”
Kazumi joined her place next to her older brother, the two standing in close proximity. Sango prepared her Hiraikotsu outside, her husband chanting, creating a protective barrier around the home.
“We're all in danger,” announced the aging priestess, giving her words a moment to sink in. “Your parents and I can fend them off, but we need the rest of you to get as far away from here as possible.” You could see she was holding back tears.
“But what about you?” her daughter asked, watching her parent with sad eyes.
She did not answer.
“Satoshi, we need you to watch over them. You have experience with demons.”
“Right.”
“I need you all to go through the back entrance.” Before she left to join her comrades, she turned back to Kikyou. She brushed the hair from her he face, leaning in close to her ear. Inaudible to any human, the twins both heard her words, “Your brother is alive.”
She left her children with wide eyes, gripping tightly to her bow as she prepared to shoot into the mass of demons. The arrow fired. As it hit the grouping, a large pink glow surrounded it, obliterating whatever laid in its wake. She prepared another.
Miroku winced as his concentration diminished. With the creatures flinging themselves at him, it was hard not to break his position. Sango rushed to his aid, swinging her mighty weapon at his attackers. Their bodies fell to the ground in pieces, slowly disintegrating. The couple breathed in relief.
Kagome knelt next to the monk. “It's alright now; you can let down the barrier.” She turned to her husband as he released another wind scar. With ever hundred he killed, several hundreds were on the horizon. Even against Naraku, never before had this many demons surfaced. InuYasha panted as he fell back to the ground.
“This is ridiculous!” he shouted overtop of their approaching enemies. “No matter how much we attack, more just keep coming!”
“Its time like these that I wish I still had my wind tunnel,” Miroku groaned, watching his left had where the sacred beads once dwelled.
“Do not say such things,” Sango began, preparing another assault as she mounted Kirara. “By now you would have been dead.”
The youkai dived at the monk, whose staff blocked their attack. He threw a sutra into the group and watched them burn. How long could he keep this up? Their numbers never diminished no matter what force was used against them. At this rate, they would lose their stamina before ridding the area of the enemy.
A flash of crimson and white slashed through the sky. The demons' corpses fell to the ground, blood raining down on them. Shirou continued his rampage through them, flexing his claws just as his father had always done. His parents watched him in disbelief and horror, eyes wide and brow furrowed.
“You idiot!”