InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Is Your Life ❯ Father ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Two: Father

My boy is a year old today. I remember the day you were born rather vividly…

Twenty hours later and a concussion later, courteously of you mother, you were brought into this world. Then you screamed you head off. I remember wondering how you could cry and scream so loudly and not hurt you sensitive ears all at the same time, because mine and your older brother's were ringing for days on end.

You are going to make me proud though. I knew that the moment I laid eyes on you.

Fiercely independent even now at barely a year old, reminds me of myself as a pup. I remember when you started walking a few weeks ago. The moment you could do it yourself and perfected it, you shot off like a neko youkai in heat. I can tell you're going to be stubborn, that means no end of trouble when you start to talk, no will become undoubtedly your favorite word. And I'm sure you'll be a handful in your teenage years.

I suppose I shouldn't talk about that, seeing how I'm not going to be around to see it. Your mom was just in here a few minutes ago and she came out crying; I guess she told you about the visions of your future she had after you were born.

According to her we'll both be dead before you see your tenth birthday. I didn't believe it of course, at least not until she predicted the day you'd get your first fang. Then the second, and the third and….well, you get it don't you Inu Yasha.

That was the day the taiyoukai of the west wept. Not just for the loss of my life, or my wife's, but for the unfairness of it all to you, our son.

If I could maim the fate kamis and change the future for you I would, but your mother says there's nothing that can be done except accept our fate and try to make the best of the time we have left with each other.

She told me you'd grow into a great man and not to worry. But I knew that the first time I looked into your eyes. I could see the dormant power stirring in those amber depths. You'll never fear any man or demon. And any who dares to cross your path won't live to tell the tale.

My boy you've got spunk, you'll need it in your life. It won't be easy growing up hanyou, but it's not the curse that so many will tell you. At least that's the way I feel. I mean think about it, you have the best parts of your mother and father combined. Besides that you were born out of love.

I'll warn you now that love will make you do some stupid things. Your mom told me about you and your encounter with that miko. I gathered that she had to be if she's going to seal you to a tree, only mikos have that kind of power.

Just so you know I don't like her anyway.

She also told me about the other girl, the look-alike miko that unsealed you, and the one you'll eventually marry. From what I hear she reminds me of your mother. Strong and gutsy, yet caring and kindhearted at the same time; I think it runs in the family that we would fall for those kind of women. And if you're like me then you'll mess up every time you try to talk to her, and say something insensitive and stupid.

I pray to the gods every day that you don't have my mouth; your mother would kill me if you did.

I asked her why your life would be so hard. I made it quite clear to your brother that if anything should happen to me he would rule in my place and make sure you and your mother were taken care of.

Speaking of your brother, he's around here somewhere sulking I suppose. With all the preparations for your birthday dinner tonight I guess he's feeling left out. Sesshoumaru is quite fond of you, did you know that pup? I've seen the way he is around you when he thinks no one is looking. Because of that I'm not too worried; you pups will look out for each other.

I got you a present, well of course I got you a present it's your birthday, but that's beside the point. It took me forever to have it crafted, but I finally got it finished. You now have your very own fire rat kimono. Your mother got at me to find you something to protect you when we discovered that on the night of the new moon your youkai blood waned and you were left totally human. She didn't want you to be helpless and unprotected so I set out to find my youngest son a suit of armor fit for a prince of the western lands.

There are some pretty interesting things about this outfit of yours: it will grow with you, it will never fray or rip, and it will keep you safe until you receive your sword. Something else I had it made just for you. The Tetsusaiga was crafted from one of my fangs. If you ever break it I pity you because getting a tooth yanked HURTS. Sometimes I think Totosai is insane, but he's still a hell of a sword smith.

Correction, getting two teeth pulled on the same day HURTS. I also had a sword made for you brother as well. The Tensaiga is a brother sword to Tetsusaiga. I said before that your sword is a guardian sword. I had it crafted so you would be able to protect yourself and your future mate and family. It also acts as a seal. The youkai blood that runs through your veins is strong, sometimes volatile blood. Right before I commissioned to have the swords made you had a pretty bad nightmare. Your screaming woke everyone in the castle up, and when your mother went to check on you she nearly passed out.

It sounded like you had been scared to death and apparently you were. Your normally amber golden eyes were a blood red with blue irises, and a jagged purple streak was on each side of your face. You transformed into a youkai. Hanyous aren't supposed to do that normally and the only times that does happen is when faced with death. The youkai blood in them starts to burn with the desire to fight and stay alive and completely causes the human blood in them to wane. Should that happen bloodlust will take over your being and render you an insane killing machine.

And if it happens too much the hanyou goes insane. Permanently.

Tetsusaiga will prevent that from happening as long as you have the sword. Your brother's sword is different. Tensaiga is a sword of healing. Sesshoumaru has been through so much already. He lost his mother when he was only a little pup, not too much older than you are now, and soon he's going to lose me and your mother. I'm giving him that sword so that the people he cares about won't leave him before their time.

Both swords are equally strong, just like both of my sons are.

I suppose I should go and see what is keeping this dinner from getting finished. One would think the servants would get their act together. After all it's not every day that a prince of the western lands celebrates his first birthday.

I just hope you remember one thing. You are my son, and I am proud of you. No matter what anyone tells you are and always will make me proud.

Happy birthday pup.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cute, ne? Read and review!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~