InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Is Your Life ❯ Brother ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Three: Brother

*Note this takes place a month before Inu Yasha's fourth birthday and two weeks after his fourth birthday.*

This Sesshoumaru is not happy….

My brother's fourth birthday is in a month and everyone around here acts like someone just died. I don't smell death on anyone here, so I don't see why everyone is so depressed all of a sudden.

Well everyone but Inu Yasha that is. He and father went out hunting earlier today, I wanted to go with them but father said I had to stay at the palace and continue with my studies.

After all I am the heir to the Western Lands, but I will tell you this. All of the tutoring stinks. I'm thirteen years old; I should be out hunting, and surveying the lands with father, not stuck in the castle for days on end.

Besides, I didn't go on my first hunt until I was at least seven summers old.

Why the hell is my brat of a baby brother so damn special? Half brother at that too; I don't know what father was thinking when he mated with a human. I'll admit that Lady Emiko is a lovely woman, for a human, and an excellent step-mother…

But she's HUMAN!

Father tells me that one day there will be some woman that will do to my heart what Emiko-san has done to his. I doubt it, because this Sesshoumaru will bend to no woman human or youkai.

::Crash::

It sounds like Inu Yasha is at it again. That whelp gets into more trouble than a pack of kitsunes. If he's not knocking something down he's running around the palace constantly playing some stupid game he invented.

Father and Emiko think his antics are cute, I think they are annoying. And it's clear to anyone that he's a hanyou, the ears are a dead give away.

But the brat is still my baby brother, and because of that I, Sesshoumaru, Prince of the Western Lands, must look out for his well being.

"Onii-san?" A small voice called from the door.

"What is it Inu Yasha?" I knew he was there, I smelled him from down the hall

"Have you seen otochan or okaasan? It's almost dark out."

"So? You're usually still running around long after the sun has gone down."

"But there's no moon tonight onii-san. Okaasan said that I'm 'posed to stay with her or otochan when there's no moon out."

That's right; it's the first night of the month. Inu Yasha's human night. It's things like this that make me glad to be a full blooded youkai.

"I still don't know where father or Emiko-san is Inu Yasha; go ask one of the maids or something."

"Onii-san?"

"What whelp?"

"How come you call okaasan Emiko-san?"

"Because she's your mother and not mine. It wouldn't be proper for me to call her mother."

"But how come we're brothers if she's not your okaasan too?"

I sigh and roll my eyes. This is something that father should be telling him, not me.

"Ask father."

"Ok….ne, onii-san?"

"What Inu Yasha?"

"How come you didn't go hunting with me and otochan today?"

"Father said I had to stay here, anyway weren't you looking for them? Sunset should be in a few minutes."

"Oh yeah." His ears drooped a little. I could smell the tears forming in his eyes. I'm never gonna get a moments peace around here.

"Come on whelp, I'll help you look for father and Emiko-san."

"Yay! Arigato onii-san!" He has this look on his face like the heavens have opened up for him and dropped him his favorite toys.

::Sigh:: This is the price of being the older brother. Inu Yasha walked happily along side me through the corridor that lead out of my chambers. I was in his room earlier today. The little runt moved the furniture around so it looks likes my room with his things in it. That's also where I found two of my favorite scrolls.

Father says Inu Yasha idolizes me.

Emiko-san says that he says that he wants to be like me when he grows up.

I don't buy it though.

"Say onii-san?"

"What pup?"

"When I'm big like you are, will I have a tail too?"

Then again I could be wrong, but this Sesshoumaru won't admit defeat easily. It's just not proper for a prince of the Western Lands to do so.

"No you won't inu Yasha."

"How come?"

"You have ears."

"Oh."

"Hey onii-san?"

Kami-sama please let me find father or Emiko-san, SOON.

***

My father is dead.

He left two days ago, but I know he's dead.

I know this because I now wear the markings of the Lord of the Western Lands.

I knew something was going to happen when father left. A dragon had been causing trouble in the eastern most part of our lands. Father had no fears about the threat until one of the scouts informed him that it was a dragon youkai.

Emiko-san and father both fainted. Father NEVER faints. I knew something was wrong.

Before he left Emiko-san was crying, almost like she knew he wasn't going to come home this time. Inu Yasha, he's so little has hardly any idea what's going on around here.

I'm going to have to tell him that father is dead; it's my responsibility as Youkai Lord of the West.

Somehow though, it feels like I knew about this already.

I remember after Inu Yasha was born, Emiko-san blacked out or something, at least that's what father told me at the time.

Later I was walking by their chambers, and I briefly heard something about Inu Yasha's tenth birthday and a dragon.

A dragon.

They knew. They've known about this day since the day that little brat was born and didn't tell me. If they had told me I could have went with father and helped him, or even would have stopped him from going in the first place.

They knew why he was going to die and did nothing to prevent it.

"Onii-san, why is okaasan crying?"

Inu Yasha was pulling on the leg of my kimono.

Inu Yasha…

It's his fault father is dead. If he had never been born then my father might still be alive.

That's why they showered him with attention.

That's why he was the favorite son.

"Let go." I didn't even bother to look at him when I told him.

I, Sesshoumaru, Lord of the Western Lands have come to a conclusion. The hanyou Inu Yasha is responsible for my father's death. I will see to it that one day he and his human wench of a mother will pay.

I have no brother. Inu Yasha will die, and it will be by my hand.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

That folks is the day that two brothers became enemies, unbeknownst to the younger.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~