InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Is Your Life ❯ Interlude: Innocence Lost ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Interlude: Innocence Lost

*In my original outline for this story this chapter didn't exist, but as I was writing Parts Four and Five I realized that I neglected to mention a few things and another chapter was necessary.*

Yesterday was my birthday. I'm seven years old now and okaasan said that I was finally a man now and that one day I'm going to be big and strong like otousan…

I don't remember otousan that well. He died when I was little. Okaasan said it was after I turned four when he went to fight the dragon.

He didn't come back to the castle.

I kinda remember that day. It was the same day that Sesshoumaru-onii-san got his crescent moon on his forehead like otousan. That's what made him Lord of the Western Lands.

That was the same day onii-san started being really mean to me. Not mean like the other children in the village. All they do is pick on me. They call me names and last week they took my ball…

It was a gift from otousan.

Sesshoumaru-onii-san stopped talking to me after otousan left and didn't come back. I never told okaasan, but once, right before we left the castle and went back to like in okaasan's old village, onii-san said I was tainted and trash.

He called me a hanyou. I didn't know what 'hanyou' meant then, and I still don't now. Okassan won't tell me.

And I don't know why he started being a big jerk to me. I didn't do anything wrong! I stopped taking his scrolls when he told me to….

I'm not gonna cry.

Real men don't cry. And neither do princes.

I think I'm still a prince. We moved out of the palace a few months ago. Okaasan said that we had to or else Sesshoumaru-onii-san would be cranky.

He's not fun to be around when he's cranky.

I can smell okaasan crying her bedroom. She's been doing that all week. I thought birthdays were supposed to be happy. All my other ones were. Anyway yesterday I heard her while she was praying. She looked really sad and then told otousan that she'd be with him soon.

I don't understand, but I didn't want to make her sadder. I kinda remember otousan telling me that when a woman cries that even a mighty warrior will crumble. Otousan told me lots of things when I was a little pup. He taught he lots of stuff too, like how to hunt and track. He said that my sense of smell was almost as good as his. He even taught me how to use my claws to fight with, but he said I'm not supposed to fight if I don't have to. My attacks are just like his was, that's what okaasan tells me.

I miss Sesshoumaru-onii-san, even if he was being mean to me.

And I miss otousan; okaasan does too and I think that's why she cries so much.

****

Three days later….

***

My birthday was four days ago. I turned seven years old. My okaasan said that on my birthday I was finally a man. She was wrong.

Today I'm a man because okaasan is gone.

Our village was attacked last night on the new moon. I turn human on the new moon. They attacked just after the sunset, right when all my powers went away like they always did on the new moon.

Our hut was on the very end of the village. We lived there because okaasan didn't want to be bothered with the other villagers. They insulted us, they threw stones and I didn't understand why before.

But I do now.

It was because of me.

I'm a hanyou, that's what Sesshoumaru once called me when we still lived at the palace. Okaasan finally told me what it meant two days ago. I'm not human, but I'm not demon.

I'm half and half. And for some reason almost everyone I see hates me, except okaasan.

But she's gone like otousan now.

We heard noises coming from the heart of the village. Okaasan looked out the window of our hut and saw the flames and the blood. She told me to run away as fast as I could, but I didn't want to leave her.

She told me that I had to run. Not for me, but for her and that I had to hide somewhere where the demons wouldn't find me. And not to worry about her because she would be fine.

Then she told me that she would always love me. I didn't understand then, but I do now.

I did what she asked and I ran from the village. On my way to the forest I saw Sesshoumaru and I thought that he was coming to save us.

Then he ripped the village head man's head off his body.

I ran and I never looked back.

The demons that attacked the village were Inu Youkai. Funny, but they were some of the same Inu Youkai from the Western Lands, my old home.

Home…

I don't have a home anymore.

At sunrise I went back to our hut to look for okaasan. My demon powers were back and I could fight if I needed to.

I found okaasan lying on the floor of our hut in a pool of her blood. The sight made me sick to my stomach, but the smell was worse.

The whole hut smelled like flowers, but that wasn't a good thing. Lots of poisons smell like flowers.

Including Sesshoumaru's poison claw.

He killed my okaasan.

And I know that if I was there with her I would have died too.

I finished burying her a few hours ago, and I'm going to burn the hut as well.

I just want to know why he did it. Why did he kill my okaasan?

Does he hate me like everyone else does because I'm a hanyou?

I'm not going to cry. Men don't cry. Otousan never cried before, and since I'm his son I'm not going to either.

I'm going to get big, and strong…

And then I'm going to kill my brother.

Wait….

He's NOT my brother. If he was he wouldn't have ordered the attack on our village.

If he was my brother he wouldn't have killed my okaasan.

If he was my brother he wouldn't hate me the way he does.

I'm seven years old and I'm a man….

All because I'm alone in the world now.

I miss you okaasan….

Today an inu hanyou learned the true meaning of hate and pain. He lost his innocence…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

::Cries:: Gods that's SO sad! I'm sure many are wondering why I made Sess-chan the big bad guy here, well if you remember episode seven (I think), when Sesshoumaru uses the image of Inu Yasha's mom to try to get the location of Tetsusaiga from him Inu Yasha says, "She's dead and we both know it…" or something to that effect.

Can anyone else think of a reason why he'd say something like that?

Just a short Interlude, Part Four is next.

Ja, minna.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~