InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ This Is Your Life ❯ To Die... ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Six: To Die…

*Told in two POV's, Inu Yasha and Kikyo both give their viewpoints of the supposed betrayal they experienced on that fateful morning, and the feelings they had for each other when they died.*

***

Kikyo's final thoughts

It seems my fears were justified. (Read Part Four: Miko for more…)

That bastard hanyou betrayed me.

And now I'm dying.

I told him of my plan to rid ourselves of the Shikon no Tama and he agreed to the idea.

He was supposed to become human…for us. We were going to have a future together. We were going to be two normal people.

I told him of my idea yesterday. Later we went rowing down the river and watched the sunset together. It was such a beautiful moment with Inu Yasha. I got out of the boat and tripped over my bow. He caught me in his arms and did something he's never done before.

He embraced me.

Before that moment he had never touched me before. And I knew at that moment that I was making the right decision.

And I wasn't afraid of anything then.

We agreed to meet in the meadow at dawn this morning. I was there with the Shikon no Tama waiting for him.

I never heard him coming, but I felt the claws as they slashed my back piercing my lungs. In the back of my mind I knew it was him, but my heart just didn't want to believe it. It was broken into a thousand pieces when I heard his voice.

He spoke with a tone more callus and nasty than any I had ever heard from him. He called me a fool, an idiot for believing that he'd ever truly want to become human.

You know something he's right. I was a fool, a fool for believing that anything, even if only part demon was or could be something other than evil. I blame my ignorance and inexperience for this.

He took the jewel and headed toward the village. Something about it needing more blood on it before he uses it.

That bastard betrayed me.

I arrived at the village to see the last of his destruction. Thankfully no one was really hurt. Kaede, my little sister, was running after me. She was trying to get me to stop and tend to my wounds.

It doesn't matter though; I know I'm going to die and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it from happening.

I spotted Inu Yasha running at a breakneck speed out of the gardens and toward the forest. He's not going to get away from me though. I will see him take his last breath before I take my own.

With all the strength I could muster I fired my arrow directly at his heart and pinned him to a tree.

It won't kill him though. That's not my plan. I feel that to send him to the afterlife is something too good for that bastard. I sealed him to that tree; he'll spend eternity there in some form of sleep never to wake up because the only one who can free him is me or a future reincarnation of mine.

By the time my soul is reincarnated, the forest will probably be burnt to the ground, and our paths will never cross again.

For me to see him in death would be too hard to bear. The memories of the tender moments we shared now are slowly eating at my soul. I suppose that is the only good thing about dying, I won't have to remember much longer.

The Shikon no Tama. The very bead that started this whole mess. It's the reason I'm dying now. I want Kaede to burn it with my remains. It will never again fall in the wrong hands.

But before my life ends, I just want you to know one thing.

I hate Inu Yasha.

***

Inu Yasha's final thoughts

I should have known not to trust a human.

That bitch Kikyo betrayed me…

I should have known better than to trust her. Like so many that I have trusted in my life she turned on me when the opportunity saw fit. (Read Interlude: Innocence Lost for more on that…)

Then again I should have seen it coming; after all she did ask me to become human.

At the time it seemed like a good idea. She would get rid of the jewel, demons would stop coming around for the dammed thing, and neither one of us would be lonely anymore.

Kikyo said we'd get married sometime soon.

I was starting to like the sound of it all. I've been alone fending for myself for ten years now and I'm tired.

I'm tired of running, tired of being looked down upon and shunned….

Most of all I'm tired of being a damn hanyou. That's why I was after the Shikon no Tama in the first place. I wanted to change and become the demon that I should be.

Then I could kick Sesshoumaru's ass from here to Timbuktu.

Then I met Kikyo. I never wanted the thing so badly that I'd kill her for it. I won't kill someone without a pretty good damn reason to.

Sesshoumaru has his, and I don't care if he is my brother because family doesn't matter that much to him either.

I remember the day she asked me to come down from the tree I was watching her in. She was eating her lunch by the river bank. She asked me some dumbass question about how I saw her.

I told her she was stupid.

She laughed the saddest laugh I had ever heard. It was in that moment that I knew I never wanted to see her sad. Ever.

I suppose that's the whole reason I went along with her idea. I wanted to see her happy….I think that in some way seeing her happy made me happy.

Happy…there's something I forgot existed…

We agreed to it yesterday. We were docking the boat we took out to the river. She tripped on her bow and I caught her.

Then I hugged her.

I didn't want to let her go. That was the moment I fell in love with her.

Bitch.

I was heading to the meadow we had agreed to meet at this morning at sunrise. I was just heading out of the forest when an arrow flew past me, just missing my head.

It was Kikyo.

So I ran to the village. To hell with her plan…shit, to hell with HER period.

The jewel was in the temple where it was usually kept. I stole it. I didn't loot the village or kill anyone like most youkai would do.

They did nothing to me, so I had no reason to spill their blood.

I just stole it and ran, and I was almost out of the garden and into the forest.

Then she yelled my name. Like a dumbass I stopped for a moment and looked.

I saw the arrow before it hit me.

For a moment time stopped. It was just me and Kikyo there. There were no sounds from anything.

Just us.

And she looked like she hated me.

That arrow was enchanted; I have no idea what the hell it's going to do to me but….

When did I start to get so tired?

Why is Kikyo limping…..bitch….

Keh, looks like this is it for me….

Wait….

Is that…

Why do I smell blood…?

K-Kikyo….you bitch…I….

I love you….traitor….

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Makes you kinda feel bad for Kikyo, ne?

I always wondered why Kikyo didn't kill Inu Yasha before she died. Was it the fact that she didn't want to see him in the afterlife like I theorized here, or was it for different reasons? Maybe she sealed him away with the intent of having him unsealed at a later time by one of her reincarnations hoping that they could have a second chance at the life she so desperately wanted, but couldn't have. Maybe she really did love him and couldn't kill him even though he had sentenced her to her death.

Or maybe she was just being stupid.

Who knows?

By the way I really like this chapter.

Next chapter: Part Seven: Future

Ja ne.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~