InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through the Rose Colored Lenses ❯ Operation Sofa Love ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inu Yasha is NOT MINE!!!!!!!! He belongs to Rumiko Takahashi

P.S. I HAVE NO $$$$$ SO DON'T SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Through the Rose Colored Lenses

CH.9

By Sailor Scribe

"Inu Yasha?"

"What?" He growled into his cell phone.

"This is Laura. Listen, I need the pictures for Shippo earlier than I thought."

"I told you I would get them to you by Monday!"

"I have a lunch date tomorrow with an old friend that needs a new face for Toys-R-Us Japan. I think Shippo would be perfect, but the Sango pictures aren't appropriate. I need something cute…with lots of toys in the background."

"Like the damn pictures Kagome has!" Inu Yasha growled to himself. He looked at the clock, eight o'clock. By the time he would make it to her house, she would be long gone with that Hobo-baka. "I'll drop them off in the morning."

"Thank you…I promise you won't regret it."

"Keh!" Inu Yasha hung up the phone making an illegal U-Turn, which stopped traffic. For some strange reason, he seemed to forget traffic laws when he was angry.

Across town, in an elegant office, Laura hung up the phone and looked up to see her guest. "I still don't understand why you had me lie to Inu Yasha…"

"Trust me Laura-chan. It's for Kagome's own good for him to go apologize." Sango interrupted her friend.

"Just remember to call Inu in an hour and tell him the meeting is off." Miroku insisted. "He will be cranky if he doesn't get to sleep in tomorrow." Laura just sighed as she wrote it into her schedule.

"As long as it is for Kagome-chan's sake."

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

"Eight-thirty." Inu Yasha mumbled as he walked up to the house. He would have preferred to have called her in advance, but he didn't want to talk to her just yet. He rang the bell and waited for Souta to open the door. Between the two of them, he was sure they could find the pictures. The door opened and Inu Yasha had to look up when he realized that instead of Souta's head, he was looking at the greatest thighs gym shorts ever had a chance to adorn.

"Inu Yasha?" Kagome asked with a skeptical eye as she finished putting her hair in a messy bun. He didn't miss the way the oversized t-shirt looked on her small body as it shifted to cover the shorts. Damn, she looked good! His mouth went dry as the sudden change in her scent hit his nose. "What are you doing here?"

"Keh, I should be asking you the same thing! Aren't you supposed to be on a date?" He quickly recovered. After their fight, he knew that there was no way in hell she would cancel on Hojo, and even if the guy was a baka, he wasn't baka enough to let a date with Kagome slip by. Her stance took a more defensive tone.

"So now you come by my house when I'm not around? Are you stalking me or something?"

"Keh, just stating the obvious. I'm only here cuz I need the pictures before tomorrow."

"Is that all?" Was it just him, or did she sound just a bit disappointed.

"Yeah."

"Come in then." She sighed as she stepped away from the door.

"What did you think I was here for?"

"Call it the stupid-school-girl syndrome. I thought you might just be here to…"

"To what?" His mouth went dry again for an unknown reason, but it had to do with her scent.

"To apologize."

"For what?" He quickly regained his composure.

"For acting like a jerk!" She said as she walked towards the darkroom fidgeting with the hem of her t-shirt, which left her shorts in clear view of him as her hips swayed in that natural feminine graze.

"So that's what Hobo sees in her!" He thought. "I wasn't a jerk!" He retaliated as she disappeared into the dark room. He had noticed she had a nice body the day they had gone to the club, but it was in this careless 'not-trying-to-impress-anyone' mode that he could truly appreciate what a woman she was. Then a worrisome thought sneaked into his head. "What if she is dressed like this for Hojo? Not likely, but what if he gets to catch a glimpse of those legs?" A low growl emerged from his throat.

"Yes you were! You're acting like I'm a stupid school girl that's going out with the high school bad boy. I can take care of myself. I'm not as naive as you think." His growl increased in volume as she passed him the album. "If anyone tried to pull a fast one on me, I would be able to defend myself. Don't forget, I minored in self-defense."

"I thought you minored in Spanish?"

"Double minor…might as well get my money's worth, ne?"

"Keh! I still think you could do better than that idiot. If someone picked on you, he wouldn't be able to protect you."

"No, I would protect him!"

"You're not Sango!"

"So now Sango is the only female that can fend for herself?" She quirked her eyebrow again, only this time Inu Yasha wasn't reminded of Sesshomaru. In fact, he wasn't reminded of any man.

"Keh." He continued softly but relaxed his shoulders. It was like he was seeing her for the first time, and this time he wasn't seeing an annoying brat. He was seeing a grown woman, one that could make his mouth water.

"I'll take that as an apology." She smiled as he looked at her with those big quizzical golden eyes of his. She couldn't stay mad at him. She leaned in and gave him a quick hug. He was surprised at first, but quickly responded and accidentally captured her scent again: baby powder with a hint of Sakura blossom intertwined with something that was unmistakably female. Why was her scent so overpowering? What was his nose trying to tell him? His eyes flashed red when she began to pull away, but he quickly pulled himself together. This was Kagome, his friend and colleague that needed protecting and had the power to 'Sit' him.

"So why aren't you out with Hobo?" He asked not trusting to look directly at her.

"Souta is sick."

"The runt? Anything serious?"

"Don't worry, your number one fan is physically healthy…he is hurting in a more sensitive way." Inu Yasha quirked his eyebrow. "He is heart broken. He apparently had a crush on one of the soccer cheerleaders, but he saw her today kissing another boy." Kagome sighed. "I had hoped to have a little more time to prepare myself for this."

"He getting heart broken?"

"He liking girls." She corrected. "Any how, I decided to stay in and watch movies with him to see if I could cheer him up…" She sighed again. "You should see his eyes. They are so sad." He placed his hand on her shoulder reassuringly as the before mentioned child raced into the room.

"Inu Yasha?" His big brown eyes were sparkling and hopeful without a trace of sadness in them. "Are you here to watch movies with us?"

"He only came to pick up some pictures." His sister interrupted, and immediately Souta dropped his head in a depressed fashion.

"Oh…" He answered walking away. "You probably got a date with some model, huh?"

"Actually, I was just going to spend a quiet night a t home since I have to get up early tomorrow to drop off some pictures in the morning." On cue his cell phone vibrated. He quickly checked the text message:

"Meeting Canceled. Sorry Laura."

"How about just one movie? We're going to watch the Evil Dead Trilogy."

"Evil Dead?"

"It's a B-Line flick…from the director of Spiderman. One of his earliest works." Kagome explained.

"Didn't he also do Darkman?" Inu Yasha questioned. Kagome nodded in response. She looked at Souta sitting glumly on the couch.

"Even if you can't stay, do you think you can talk to him? I know girls are more sensitive than guys, but I don't speak your language." She smiled with those sparkling blue eyes of her.

"Language?"

"For the life of me, I can't figure out what goes on in that thick skull of yours!" He smiled.

"I guess I could stay for one movie."

"I'll get the popcorn." She smiled a thank you as Inu Yasha went towards Souta.

"So why did you lie to your sister about being heart broken?" Souta chocked his breath as Inu Yasha sat down next to him.

"I-I-I didn't."

"The nose don't lie." He said taking off his bandana and scratching his now free ears. He hated having to cover them.

"Well…I just don't like Hojo for her…he is a wimp! If something was ever to happen to me, who would take care of her? He couldn't even take out the trash like a proper man!" Inu Yasha smiled at Souta's outburst while listening to the popping sounds of the popcorn in the kitchen.

"You know, your sister isn't as weak as she seems."

"I know…but that is why she needs someone stronger than her to help her out. Someone to worry for her, so she can rest. I have seen her sleeping…she cries in her sleep." Souta whispered. "I just want her to be safe."

"I know the feeling, runt." He said musing the kid's hair. "But girls are stronger than we give them credit for. You should trust your sister a bit more, she knows what's good for her."

"Inu Yasha, I'm not stupid. I see the way my friends stare at her…the way the men at the supermarket look at her if she bends down. I know she's hot! I don't want just any baka to take her!" Souta folded his arms across his chest in defiance, and a low growl emerged from Inu Yasha's throat. "Someone has to look after her, and since grandpa isn't here anymore, well, I'm the man of the house." Souta concluded. Kagome stood still at the doorway hearing her brother's last statement.

"Don't forget, you're just a kid, and you're not supposed to be taking care of her!"

"But if I don't , then who will?" Souta protested. "Don't forget, I'm the man here."

"First of all, don't say that in front of your sister if you want to live to see thirteen. Second, she's not alone. She has Sango, LB and in a weird way Miroku…"

"How 'bout you? Does she got you?" Souta looked up the Hanyou with those big eyes of his, the same eyes Rin gave him when she wanted to add a new Sailor Moon paraphernalia to his collection.

"Yeah kid. She has me too." His answer gave her a tingling sensation underneath her skin that flushed her body in a sense of numbness. She didn't notice the smile on her lips or the blush on her cheeks as she join the two on the couch, next to the hanyou.

"With all the Sierra Mist you two drink, you guys are going to send me to the poor house." She protested.

"Keh!" Both males replied simultaneously.

"That was scary!" Kagome declared as she settled on the blanket.

"So what are these movies about?" Inu Yasha asked as Kagome's scent surrounded him.

"Dead things coming back to life!" Souta declared heartily as he hit play.

Sometime during the first movie, Souta took over the floor so he could sit up close to the television. Inu Yasha put his feet on the coffee table with a slight warning from Kagome, but she soon caved in when she realized she had two thirds of the couch for herself. She didn't remember how she ended up leaning against Inu Yasha, but since she was the one with the blanket, she figured he just wanted her to share. Souta switched movies without so much as a bathroom break or looking behind him. He appeared completely absorbed in the movies.

Without taking his eyes from the screen, Inu Yasha moved his arm around Kagome's shoulder and scratched her ear slightly. She turned to him and he gave her a mischievous smile. "Does this remind you of something?" Inu Yasha whispered into her ear, sending shivers down her body.

"Inu Yasha!" she whispered back. "This isn't the time nor the place for that!" He smiled at her. The spark in her eyes and the spike in her scent told him that she wanted to, as much if not more than him.

"C'mon…Please!" He gave her his saddest eyes, setting her skin on fire when the hand under the blanket reached for hers. He began to trace patterns on her palm, and her breath quickened.

"What about the movie?"

"We can see it any time." He whispered into her ear and she swallowed hard. She was his. Shifting her hand in his grasp and taking a deep breath she began, "One, two, three, I declare Thumb Wars."

"One-two-three-one-two-three-one-two-three! I win again! Lets see, that's four to none!" Inu Yasha laughed as he moved from on top of her.

"That's not fair! You're only supposed to use your hand; you used your entire body!" Kagome whined. The snow on the television lit the room, and she looked over to see her brother sleeping peacefully in front of the television. She smiled.

"Sore loser!" Inu Yasha laughed as he got up and picked up Souta. Following his nose he took the boy to his room. Kagome watched him closely as she rubbed her sore thumb. He was brutal.

"I feel sorry for your future wife." She said when he came back.

"Keh!" He said as he changed tapes and settled on the couch.

"Shouldn't you see the other one first? You'll be lost…"

"The guy got sucked into a black hole! I want to see what happened!"

"You saw the movie and thumb wrestle?"

"Keh!" He sat back pulling on the blanket. "Wanna go at it again?" He flashed her his fangs causing her scent to spike.

"My thumb needs some rest." He laughed at her as he slipped his arm around her.

"You have two thumbs." He whispered.

"And the ability to subdue you, but that doesn't mean I'm going to use it when it's not necessary." She whispered back.

"Keh, so is this one as scary as the others."

"No, this one is a comedy!"

"So this guy successfully makes two low budget films that with stupid camera tricks scare the crap out of you, and he finishes it off with a laugh?"

"Like you weren't scared."

"Keh! Like a movie could scare me."

"Oh, like you didn't jump when the evil Henrietta attacked!"

"That's cuz she was so ugly!"

"Oh?"

"Yeah, kinda like you when you wake up in the morning."

"Hey!" She said hitting his shoulder lightly. "Like you're a sight for sore eyes!" He tackled her onto his lap and tightened his grip around her.

"Keh, men aren't supposed to be glamorous in the morning! Hey, when did he get a chainsaw for a hand?" He turned back to the movie.

"He cut his hand off the in the last movie, so now he needs something new." She slipped comfortably next to him, his arm around her waist and her head on his shoulder. A pair of brown eyes observed them from the top of the stairs slightly smiling. He rushed to his room and dialed a familiar number.

"Kohaku, the eagle has landed." Kohaku turned to his sister and said,

"Part two complete." Sango cuddled into Miroku's arms and whispered,

"Operation Sofa Love completed." Miroku smiled and hit speed dial on his cell phone.

"Sesshomaru, that will an extra vacation week." Sesshomaru turned to his wife sitting on the other side of his desk.

"It looks like you won't have to make all those grandchildren." Shippo rushed from the door he was spying on his uncle and raced to his grandfather's room.

"Grand-pa, guess what!" Inu Shantino put his paper aside and stared at his grandchild sitting on his lap.

"What?"

"I'm going to have a new mommy!" He smiled.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Naraku banged his fist on the table. "The Council was not supposed to clear them completely! Damn those Inus!" He regained his composure and reexamined the file on his desk. "It was expected to come to this, though. I will just have to move forward with my plan sooner than expected." He smiled as he examined the picture of the young miko.

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

"That was one good movie!" Inu Yasha yawned.

"I told you!" Kagome stretched. "I want to thank you again for what you did for Souta. It is hard for him, you know, without a male role model."

"Keh, you're doing a good job. Souta is a good kid."

"Still, thank you."

"Forget about it. The kid's my number one fan; I can't let him down." She smiled at him and took his hand.

"I also heard what you told him about me. Thank you." She leaned in and kissed his cheek. He blushed in surprise. Her lips were soft against his skin. "Lately, I am beginning to see that you are becoming one of my closest friends. Thank you."

"Keh." He answered uncomfortably as she hugged him. He found his arms wrapping around her and holding her tightly. She coughed and pulled away blushing. They both took a deep breath. "How did it get to be three in the morning?"

"Probably happened when you kept rewinding the movie to see the little Ashes beat up the big Ash!"

"Keh, it was funny to see the idiot get outsmarted." He stood up. "I should get going." He said helping her clean up the living room.

"Are you sure? Maybe you should stay."

"On your couch? No thanks. I still have the cramps from last time." He rubbed his neck.

"Well, I was thinking more like on the bed."

"Bed?" Inu Yasha's mouth went dry a third time that night.

"Yeah. Upstairs…in the guest room."

"You have a guestroom?" He growled.

"It used to be my grandfather's room."

"You have a guestroom and you let me sleep on the uncomfortable couch?" Inu Yasha growled over her shoulder.

"Well, I was mad at you at the time."

"Woman," he said turning her towards him, "you are going to be the death of me!" She looked up and smiled.

"So, does that mean you are staying?" He growled softly in response.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/- /-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Hey people! I was buried under over 2 feet of snow, and someone told me my classes were canceled tomorrow, so I spend the day on this chapter. I have just been informed that classes were NOT canceled, and now I have a whole lot of homework to catch up on. WHY MUST I PROCRASTINATE?

Oh well, thanks again to Meche for reviewing. All my love to my reviewers, you are the ones that keep me writing. Get ready, this story is about to take shape. Read and Review.