InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ When a Dog Demon goes to School ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 14- When a Dog-demon Goes to School

Chapter 14- When a Dog-demon Goes to School

"I can't believe I'm wearing this," Inuyasha repeated for the 1000th time that morning.

He was standing in the upstairs bathroom staring at his reflection in the mirror. And he was wearing the school uniform. "I don't think it looks that bad," Kagome commented as she finished pulling Inuyasha's hair into a low ponytail.

"This has to be the most humiliating thing that has ever happened to me," stated Inuyasha. "How am I supposed to fight in this?"

"You won't. You're not allowed to pick fights at school, you could get into a lot of trouble that way. And you only have to wear the uniform when we go to school, so stop complaining. Today, as soon as school gets out, you and I will go shopping for some more clothes for you, but they won't be for school. Casual clothes are much more comfortable that the uniforms."

"So what happens at this school thing?" Inuyasha said defeated.

"Well, we have eight classes, but we only attend four a day. We switch classes every other day so we get equal time in all the classes. Our school's a little unique from all the others, but easy enough to get by in if you study a bit. All your classes will be with me, until we go to PE and we have to separate. We have lunch in the middle of the day and we get out at four. Roughly eight hours of school. Do you think your spell can hold out that long? I can bring a hat to cover your ears with after school so you don't have to hold the spell."

"I think I'll be able to hold the spell longer than eight hours."

"You said that you wouldn't bring all of your human blood to the surface, so does that mean you'll look somewhat like you always do?" Kagome asked.

"Why? What does it matter to you?"

"Hmmph," replied Kagome, insulted. "I was only curious."

"I could. Why? What demon features do you want me to keep?" Inuyasha said intrigued. Did this mean Kagome liked his hanyou body?

"Could you keep your hair color? And your eye color? I know you have to hide your ears, but could you keep the others?" Kagome asked a bit sheepishly.

"I won't fit in as well with the other humans," he stated.

"That doesn't matter. Some times the best thing is that you don't fit in, but stand out."

"And you obviously go by that philosophy," Inuyasha muttered, purposely loud enough for Kagome to hear.

"Are you trying to start another argument?"

"Maybe."

"Well, you're succeeding."

"I try."

"Yeah, try to be utterly annoying."

"Only for you, Kagome."

Kagome glanced up at Inuyasha to see a flash of an arrogant smirk, before the hanyou turned around and started for the door of the bathroom. "I smell breakfast," he stated.

"Oh, good. I'm starved."

"Me too."

"You're always hungry."

"You say that like it's a crime."

Kagome shook her head and followed Inuyasha down the stairs into the kitchen where they both sat themselves at the table. Ms. Higurashi had already fixed their plates, staked high with pancakes, sausage and grits. "What are those?" Inuyasha said as he poked the grits with a fork.

"They're called grits. It's something new we're trying. They're actually quite good with honey," replied Ms. Higurashi.

"Well, food's food," decided Inuyasha as he quickly swallowed everything on his plate.

Kagome took a little bit more time eating her food, displaying many, many, many more manners.

"Here Kagome," her mother said as Kagome finished her breakfast. "Here's my credit card so you can get some more clothes for Inuyasha. Do you have both your lunches?" she asked both Inuyasha and Kagome.

Inuyasha and Kagome both nodded. "Alright. You better be leaving or you'll be late."

"Alright Mama. Bye!"

"Bye you two," she called out the door as the hanyou and miko headed down the shrine steps.

"I still can't believe I'm doing this," Inuyasha said as soon as they were off shrine grounds.

"You know, me neither," agreed Kagome.

"Well when you use a threat like Ramen, you leave me little choice but to do as you say!"

"You could just not have Ramen."

Inuyasha looked at Kagome like she had grown another head. "Not have Ramen?" he said horrified.

Kagome giggled at him before stopping at the crosswalk. "You should use that spell of yours now," she said. There weren't any people around them, but that wouldn't last for long, especially in Tokyo.

Inuyasha closed his eyes for a minute, and his dog ears disappeared to be replaced by human ears. His claws and fangs also disappeared. "How's that?" he asked after a second.

"Impressive," smiled Kagome.

"Feh," muttered Inuyasha, but he couldn't keep a light blush off his face.

Kagome giggled again and continued walking. "It won't be so bad, Inuyasha."

"Yeah, that's what you said after you let the monk start traveling with us. 'It won't be so bad Inuyasha. He's a nice guy at heart,'" he mimicked Kagome voice.

"But you're glad he did decide to join us," Kagome stated.

"He's a good fighter," Inuyasha conceded.

Kagome stopped at the front gate to the school. Other teenagers were already in the courtyard, drifting about.

"Now remember," Kagome said, "No swearing, no mentioning demons, no disrespecting teachers and please, please, please try not get into any fights."

"You don't need to remind me," Inuyasha replied. "I remember."

"Good. Now if we can only survive today, I know we can make it through the rest of the year."

"Rest of the year?" repeated Inuyasha. "I'll have to attend this school thing for the rest of the year?"

But Kagome was ignoring him now. She simply grabbed his hand and pulled Inuyasha through the other students, searching for her friends.

Inuyasha wondered if she noticed she still held his hand. And if she did notice, wondered why she didn't let go. So maybe she does like me more than a friend, even if it's just a little bit.

"Kagome-Chan," someone called out.

Kagome looked up to see Eri and Yuka. "Hi," said Kagome cheerfully. Inuyasha stopped beside her.

Kagome's friends studied the guy that was holding Kagome's hand. "Hey, Yuka-Chan," whispered Eri, "Do you recognize that guy."

"No. Do you think he's new?" Yuka whispered back.

"Gotta be," replied Eri.

"You were gone a lot longer than usual Kagome," Yuka said at a normal pitched voice. "You must have been really sick."

"Yeah, it was a bit worse than usual," Kagome lied. She then decided to change the subject. "This is Inuyasha," she introduced. "Inuyasha, this is Eri-Chan and Yuka-Chan."

Inuyasha nodded but didn't say anything. "So, Inuyasha, did you just transfer here?" asked Eri.

Inuyasha didn't have a clue to what that weird girl was saying, but before he could say anything, Kagome answered for him. "Yes he did."

The bell decided to ring before Eri and Yuka could ask anymore questions. "See ya guys later," called Kagome as she pulled Inuyasha through the crowds and into the school.

"This place is too crowded," muttered Inuyasha.

"You'll get use to it after awhile," replied Kagome.

"I doubt it."

Kagome pulled Inuyasha into their first period class and took their seats near the window where they were least likely to draw attention to themselves. Before the tardy bell rung, the teacher walked over to the pair, giving Kagome her late work, and Inuyasha a review over everything they had covered so far. "I expect the both of you to work hard to get all your assignments done to the best of your abilities," stated the teacher.

"Yes, sensei," replied Kagome. After the teacher had left, Kagome turned to Inuyasha. "So what do you think so far?" she asked.

"I wish we were on the other side of the well," replied Inuyasha miserably.

"It's not that bad."

Inuyasha looked at Kagome doubtfully.

"Okay, so it's not the best," she admitted, "But I need to graduate Inuyasha. I've worked too hard to just quit. As soon as I graduate, I promise you I will reconsider going on to continue my education."

"You mean that?" Inuyasha's face suddenly brightened.

"Well some things are going to have to change. The binding won't allow us to be that far apart, and there is no guarantee that we would always be in the same school, so maybe I'll have to reconsider my future."

The second bell rang.

"Alright, now let's see if we can survive first period," muttered Kagome as she opened her history book.

^_~

The first two classes hadn't been that bad. Inuyasha hadn't created any fights, or been intentionally disrespectful, so Kagome decided to consider herself blessed. Now if they could just survive lunch.

Deciding instead to eat outside than in the busy cafeteria, Kagome and Inuyasha settled themselves under a tree and took out their lunches. "So what do you think of the day so far?" asked Kagome.

"I can't believe you left me to do this," he said glumly.

"You hate it that much?"

Inuyasha thought about it for a minute. All he had done was sit through boring lectures for almost four hours, just to make Kagome happy. He still had half the day to go! Kami! The stuff he did to make that woman happy. "Yes, I hate it that much."

Kagome's smile faltered for a second, but only for a second. "Well, we're almost through for today. I promise I'll make it up to you."

"Really?"

"Yep. I'll make it up to you."

The two opted to finish their lunch in silence, that is until they were interrupted by three of Kagome's friends.

"Kagome-Chan," said Eri. "We've been looking all over for you."

"You have?" Kagome replied.

"Why of course. We wanted to get to know Inuyasha a bit better, after all, the two of you seem very close."

"We do?" Kagome said.

"Well, yeah," replied Yuka. "You two are like joined at the hip, if you know what I mean."

Kagome coughed lightly into her hand and glanced back at Inuyasha. He wasn't paying any attention to them. Good.

"So," continued Yuka, "Aren't you going to introduce Ayame?"

"Oh, of course," Kagome said a bit sheepishly. Why couldn't her friends just leave her alone for now? She knew that was a bit mean to think, but at the moment all she wanted to do was have a quiet lunch with Inuyasha, without any interruptions. "Ayame-Chan, this is Inuyasha," Kagome said automatically.

"Hi," Ayame called over to Inuyasha.

Inuyasha looked up, nodded, and returned to his lunch. "Your boyfriend isn't very social, Kagome-Chan," said Ayame.

"Uh, he's just a little tired," Kagome replied, ignoring the boyfriend comment. If she just made it seem that Inuyasha was her boyfriend than none of the other girls would go after him. He is mine, after all. Wow, what the hell? He's not mine. Not yet. NO, I am not having this argument with myself again. No way.

"If you say so, Kagome-Chan," replied Ayame. "Well, we better leave you two lovebirds alone," she waved off as she and the other girls walked away, losing interest in the couple.

"Those girls are weird," said Inuyasha, as soon as they left.

"They're just a little nosy."

"Hmmph. Annoying is more like it."

"Let's just try to get through the rest of the day in one piece, please. I already have a headache."

"Sure. Whatever."

"This is going to be a long day," sighed Kagome