InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ Origin Revealed ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Hi everyone! If you guys want to be notified as to when I update, just send me an e-mail and I'll add you to my mailing list. Now here's the next chapter!

Chapter 20 - Origin Revealed

Dinner was a silent affair, no one saying anything besides `please' or `thank you', well . . . everyone but Inuyasha saying `please' and `thank you'. Everyone was too concern with what Myouga had to say, but he refused from giving even the slightest details until after everyone had eaten.

Kagome sat beside Inuyasha, Shippou in her lap. When she had finished eating, she placed her bowl in front of her and sat quietly. Shippou could feel how tense Kagome was from the way she would stroke his hair once every few moments. She always did that when she was nervous or anxious about something.

Myouga watched as his Lord's companions finished their meals. After a moment, he nodded to himself and finally spoke up.

"I suppose you are all wondering what I have discovered," he started.

"No shit," muttered Inuyasha.

Myouga ignored the comment. "I have discovered the origins of the spell, Inuyasha-sama, and some other pieces of information."

"Like what?" asked Kagome.

Myouga took a deep breath. It was now or never. "The spell dates back to a time when these lands were still a part of the lands across the sea, back when humans were still living in caves and chasing game across plains." He paused a moment for effect. He could tell that that had surprised his young master, even if Inuyasha tried to keep the emotions from his face. Indeed, his Lord was very shocked. "Youkai are far more ancient than humans, but we were not always our separate races. It was the first Inuyoukai that created The Sharing of Blood spell; it is said, by the help of the Kamis themselves. The spell in itself is a weave of three different sources of magic; the magic of the souls, earth and heavens. The First, as the Inuyoukai is called, for his name has forever been lost to the sands of time, begged the Kamis to give him a way to save his mate. The Kamis were merciful, and did just as he had asked. By binding his soul to his mate's, there were able to live together. But the spell has a heavy price. The pair was tested, to see if they were worthy of one another, and worthy of the bond they shared. They, eventually, fell to ruin. Nothing more is known about the origin of the spell than that."

"How is that supposed to help us?" Inuyasha barked at his retainer.

"Be patient Inuyasha-sama, there is a way to acquire more information, if you so chose it," Myouga replied calmly.

"Oh yay, how?"

"There is an ancient youkai that dwells under the sacred mountain that lies in the east. If we were to travel there, you and Kagome-sama could discover more about the spell. I must say, I do believe there is more to it than what you and Kagome-sama have already experienced."

"What do you mean?" asked Miroku.

Myouga sighed. Why was it his master that always got tangled up in this kind stuff? "I'm not sure. I'm just not sure. All the answers lie within the ancient youkai I spoke of."

"Well?" replied Sango after Myouga had finished speaking. "What do you say Inuyasha? Do we travel to this ancient youkai?"

All eyes turned to Inuyasha. The hanyou was trying to assimilate all the information he had just been given. "Let me think about it," he replied, standing up and walking away from the fire, towards the hot spring where he would not be bothered by the other humans. He didn't tell Kagome to stay by the fire when she rose to follow.

Miroku shook his head and leaned back on the tree behind him. He had the beginnings of a headache. Trust Inuyasha to meddle in ancient magic. "What do you think he will do Houshi-sama?" asked Sango as she rose to collect the dinner bowls.

"I don't know," Miroku replied honestly.

"Do we follow them if they decide to go?"

"Of course!" said Shippou as he climbed into the monk's lap. "We're a pack. Packs stick together!"

Miroku and Sango lifted their eyebrows at the kitsune's statement. The monk smiled gently. Shippou was right, they were a pack, Miroku conceded. Though, the monk had to admit a rather unorthodox one. "Hai, you are right Shippou-Chan," replied Miroku. "We are a pack, and packs stick together. I will follow Inuyasha where ever he decides to go."

"As will I," Sango added after a pause. She needed to think more about what Shippou had said. She believed there was more to it than that.

^_^

Kagome sat silently next to the hanyou, her head resting on his shoulder, her hand holding his, their fingers intertwined. Her legs dangled over the rock than hovered over the hot spring.

The moon spilled through the tree branches onto the water, giving the enclosing area an unearthly glow.

Inuyasha sighed. "What do you think we should do Kagome?" he asked very quietly, resting his head on top of her own.

"Whatever you think is the best choice of action, Inuyasha," Kagome replied simply. She had complete trust in his judgement.

"That doesn't help me make up my mind," he replied.

"And since when does the `Great' Inuyasha take council from someone?" Kagome asked, giggling a bit.

"Since the `Great' Inuyasha finally realized that he's responsible for more than just himself," he replied, sighing again.

"I think we should go see this youkai," Kagome said very quietly. "If there is more to the spell than what we know, than I wish to be prepared for whatever comes our way."

"Alright," Inuyasha said. "We'll go after the new moon. After we get this shard we'll head back towards the well, spend the new moon in your time, and then we'll head east."

"Sounds good to me," replied Kagome. "Do you want to head back to camp now?"

"No. Let's stay like this a little bit longer."

"You know, you can be sweet when you try," muttered Kagome, closing her eyes.

"Feh."

Kagome giggled and then let out a yawn. Before she could say anymore Inuyasha had picked her up and placed her in his lap. "Go ahead and sleep Kagome," he whispered into her ear.

Kagome was asleep the moment she placed her head against the hanyou's chest.

^_^

Miroku looked up as Inuyasha reentered camp. Sango was already asleep a few feet away from him. Shippou had waited patiently for Kagome to returned, wanting to curl up with her for the night.

Inuyasha opted for sleeping on the ground tonight, closer to the fire. The night air was a bit chilly and he didn't want Kagome to catch a cold.

"So what was your decision?" asked Miroku.

Inuyasha settled himself against the base of the tree, smiling slightly at Shippou when he fetched one of Kagome's blankets and draped it over the sleeping girl before curling up on her stomach.

The hanyou turned to address the monk. "We're going to wait until after the new moon to find this ancient youkai. We'll get the shard we're after now, head back to the village for a few day and wait out the new moon, then head east."

"I believe that is a wise decision," replied Miroku.

"I sure as hell hope it is. I have no idea what to suspect from this ancient youkai."

"I have a question," Miroku replied.

"Oh yeah?"

"How many years does a youkai have to obtain to be considered old?"

Inuyasha was surprised by the monk's statement but decided to try and answer the best he could. "Um, I'd say at least eight hundred human years, maybe. I'm not completely sure. A youkai will reach his prime around a hundred, but I'm not completely sure when you consider a youkai ancient."

"How old are you?"

"My age is not important," Inuyasha replied hastily.

Myouga jumped up from Kirara's fur and on to Miroku's shoulder. "Inuyasha-sama turned 16 last spring."

"16?" Miroku said, shock plainly written on his face. "As in sixteen human years? The same age as Kagome-sama?"

Inuyasha shot a dangerous gaze towards Myouga and then turned back to Miroku. "Feh."

"Don't be insulted Inuyasha. I'm just a little surprised. You have accomplished much for one so young."

"Whatever, just don't tell anyone else."

Miroku smiled at the hanyou. "I'll keep your secret."

^_^

"Where's the shard?" Inuyasha yelled to Kagome.

For once they had actually managed to attack their opponent first. It also helped than the said youkai was not at all strong.

"In his forehead," Kagome replied calmly, yawning a bit.

Inuyasha shook his head at Kagome's antics. How could she just stand there while he was fighting?

The hanyou sighed and easily cut through the youkai with Tetsusaiga, not even bothering to use Kaze no Kizu. Kagome walked up to the youkai corpse and removed the shard. The miko had to admit she was getting quite use to going through demons, looking for shards. The first time she had to do it, she almost threw up. Now it was just a common occurrence.

"Got it," she replied, walking back to her bag to fish out some tissues.

"Good, now let's go home," Inuyasha replied.

Miroku yawned from his place atop the rocks that surrounded the battleground. When they had come upon the youkai, Inuyasha simply attacked, and since he was doing quite well, no one else bothered to help. Miroku and Sango simply sat down where they were and watched the show. Kagome had gotten a little closer, looking for the shard, but stayed well out of the way.

Everyone was a bit tired from yesterday. While it hadn't been physically exhausting, the discoveries made were quite mind boggling.

This certainly is one busy month, was Miroku's thought as he stood and turned to follow the inuhanyou.