InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ Camp Fires and Wolf Youkai ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 28- Camp Fires and Wolf Youkai

"Here are all the scrolls on the spell," said Machiko as she set three scrolls down on the table in Inuyasha and Kagome's room. They had been at the mountain for two days and it was time to go. Chiyo wasn't going to supply any more information verbally, so instead opted to give the Pack her scrolls.

Everyone was gathered there, standing around the table. Shippou was in Kagome's arms, dozing a bit. He had finally discovered other kids with as much energy as him.

"Chiyo-sama said you could bring those with you. She has one request before you leave, but she will make it personally," Machiko finished explaining.

"Hai," said Chiyo as she walked into the room.

"What do you want?" Inuyasha asked plainly, his voice for once devoid of any gruffness.

"Aiko. Do you know of any wolf youkai that you could give her to?" Chiyo asked.

"Why would you want to do that?" asked Inuyasha.

"She would benefit more from living with a real Pack of her own kind. She would not do as well if she were to stay here," the ancient youkai replied a bit sadly.

"We know of someone. We will take her there," Kagome answered.

Chiyo smiled. "Thank you. Good Luck on your travels and your tests."

"Tests?" Inuyasha replied.

"The Sharing of Blood always comes with a price," Chiyo said cryptically. "But you should not worry about that. I believe you and Kagome-San with the rest of your Pack can take everything in stride."

"Thank you," Kagome replied, bowing her head.

Chiyo smiled one last time and left.

Aiko entered a minute later carrying a bag almost as big as Kagome's on her back.

"What's all that?" asked Inuyasha.

"My scrolls, and paper and brush and ink. I don't know if there will be a village near my new home or that the villagers would even trade with me, so I stocked up," Aiko replied excitedly.

Inuyasha shook his head. Machiko smiled at the little youkai.

"We should be leaving now," Machiko said. "I will lead you through the tunnels until you past the human village. Then you will be on your own."

Inuyasha nodded and they all left the room, following Machiko.

^_^

They walked for, Kagome assumed, three hours at the most before Machiko paused and took a tunnel that led up into the sunlight. Kagome sighed happily when she felt the sun on her skin. "Thank you," Inuyasha said as Machiko turned to leave.

"Good Luck," was all Machiko said before she left, her voice barely above a whisper.

"So what's my new Pack going to be like?" asked Aiko as they started walking.

"I feel sorry for you, having to stay with such wimpy wolves," Inuyasha snorted.

"They are very kind," Kagome replied, glaring at Inuyasha as she did so.

"Do you think they'll like me?" asked Aiko, fear tinting her voice.

"Of course they will," Inuyasha replied.

Kagome looked up in surprise at the comfort the little youkai received from the hanyou's gruff words.

"When will we get there?" Aiko asked.

"Around sunset," Inuyasha replied, dreading that bit of the journey. They had to cross Kouga's territory to get back to the village, and that was never fun. At least this time that wimpy wolf won't be trying to steal my mate- wait, what the hell, mate? Inuyasha glanced over at Kagome for a second before returning to his thoughts. She will be my mate, he thought determinedly.

The Pack paused for lunch at midday but did not linger and they reached the edge of Kouga's territory just as the sun was setting. "Let's make camp here," Inuyasha said, dropping Kagome's bag. "We can take Aiko up to Kouga in the mourning."

"You're sure they will like me?" Aiko asked the Inuhanyou for the second time.

Inuyasha snorted. "How could they not like you? You're like Kagome. It's impossible for anyone to hate you," he told her in a voice that only those with demon blood would hear. He didn't want anyone to catch him complimenting the miko.

Aiko brightened visibly and everyone had to wonder at what the hanyou told her.

Dinner was a quiet affair, everyone still reeling from the discoveries made at the mountain. Kagome more than anyone.

Inuyasha and I will be tested, along with everyone else. What exactly will we be tested for? Chiyo-sama didn't say much more after the first day, and I didn't want to make her dig up anymore memories of her past. Kagome sighed, her eyes turning sad at the ancient hanyou's predicament. Surviving without a soul, living but never truly alive. Such a lonely existence, with no way to be freed. How could the Kamis be so cruel?

Inuyasha frowned at Kagome's sad expression and placed her in his lap, offering comfort for whatever was troubling her.

Kagome smiled warmly at Inuyasha, leaning onto his chest and rubbing her cheek on his haori, feeling so very safe and so very happy.

Miroku sat across from the couple on the other side of the fire. Inuyasha's behavior with Kagome was still developing and had yet to settle. Though it shouldn't have surprised him, Miroku's eyes widen slightly at the look in Kagome's eyes. Was it possible to be so truly happy with what laid behind them and before them?

Sango smiled enviously at Kagome, her eyes sliding to settle on Miroku. The monk caught her look and Sango quickly turned away, trying to hide the blush that had rushed onto her cheeks.

Shippou sat beside Inuyasha, finishing off the chocolate bar Kagome had managed to hide from him for five whole days. He had spilt it with Aiko and the wolf youkai's eyes had held pure delight at the food.

Despite the fire's warmth, Shippou shivered and unconsciously moved closer to Inuyasha. Without so much as a thought Inuyasha picked up the little kitsune by his tail and gently placed him on Kagome. All three of them were surprised at the action, but said nothing, deciding instead to simply enjoy the closeness that had developed over the last few weeks. Shippou snuggled into Kagome's shirt and sighed contently, falling soundly asleep.

Kagome noticed Aiko yawn from her place by the fire and quietly asked Sango to roll out the miko's unused sleeping bag for Aiko to sleep in. The little wolf youkai didn't protest when the demon exterminator guided her to her temporary bedding and promptly fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

The miko yawned after one last glance at both sleeping youkai and closed her eyes, trying to bury herself deeper into Inuyasha's embrace.

"Go ahead and sleep," Inuyasha whispered to Kagome, pressing a light kiss to her forehead.

Kagome smiled at him one last time before finally drifting off herself.

^_^

Dawn found Inuyasha waking to a feather light kiss on his cheek. He opened his eyes to see Kagome smiling up at him. "Morning," he muttered, yawning loudly.

Kagome smiled again before sitting up to take the hanyou's lips in firm, confident kiss.

"You're in a good mood," Inuyasha said gruffly when Kagome leaned back down into his embrace.

"I had a very good dream last night," Kagome replied, closing her eyes to remember it.

"Oh?" Inuyasha replied, somewhat amused.

"Hai. You were there and . . . that's all I remember," the miko trailed off.

"So it was a good dream just because I was there?"

"I'm sure something else happened that made me think it was a good dream but I don't remember," the miko yawned after finishing her statement.

"Something else?" Inuyasha shook his head to dispel further thoughts. Mou, I'm getting as bad as Miroku.

Shippou groaned as he woke, shifting the attention of both his sleeping companions towards himself. "Morning," the kitsune muttered gruffly.

Kagome smiled at him and leaned down to plant a kiss on his forehead. "You're in a good mood," Shippou muttered, still trying to shake the sleep from his mind.

"I had a good dream," replied Kagome.

"Was it one of those dreams you don't tell little kids?" Shippou asked.

Kagome's cheeks went intensely red and she could feel Inuyasha's frame shaking with laughter. "Shippou-Chan!"

"Oh, sorry. I haven't fully woken up yet," the kitsune excused himself, moving off of the miko's lap.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Kagome muttered to herself as she watched Shippou head towards her bag.

"It means he's saying what he's thinking instead of keeping his thoughts to himself," Inuyasha answered her.

Kagome huffed and moved to stand, stretching as she did so. "Go ahead and wake the others," Inuyasha told her as he moved to stand, trying to get some feeling back into his legs. "I'm going to go scout ahead. I'll be back soon."

The miko nodded and gave him one brief kiss before letting him leave.

When Inuyasha returned breakfast was done and everyone was sitting around the fire. Aiko talked excitedly while they ate, asking as many questions as she could until Inuyasha told her not to talk with her mouth full.

Breakfast was finished quickly and the Pack headed out, Inuyasha in the lead. They walked for maybe three or four hours when Kouga made his appearance.

"Inuyasha," he greeted the Inuhanyou, nodding at Kagome but staying nothing.

"Kouga," Inuyasha replied. "We have a surprise for you."

"A surprise?" Kouga asked, fearing the worst. He definitely wasn't expecting the little bundle that launched herself into his arms.

"You're Kouga-sama?" Aiko asked, hugging the elder wolf youkai around the neck.

"Hai, I am Kouga."

"This is Aiko," Inuyasha introduced her. "We were asked if we knew of any wolf youkai packs that might take her and we thought we'd see if you'd have her."

Kouga was stunned into silence. Ever since his Pack had begun to come under attack more often than not, he had lost many friends. His Pack was dangerously low on pups and females, something that was not at all healthy for a Pack as large as his. Kouga smiled down at the little girl. Finally, the only remaining pup in his Pack would have someone to play and grow up with, and he didn't have to worry so much about how his Pack would survive the loss of so many pups. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Aiko-Chan," Kouga told Aiko, lifting the little girl so as to have a firm grip on her.

Aiko smiled larger if possible and hugged Kouga impossibly tight. Kouga turned back to Inuyasha catching the Inuhanyou smiling lightly. "Thank you," Kouga told him, hugging Aiko to him. The hanyou could never know how much of a gift this little girl was.

"Take her bag before you go," Kagome said, reaching behind her and handing the large satchel to Kouga. "She's quite the scholar."

"You can read?" Kouga asked Aiko, amazed.

"Hai. I learned from Machiko-Chan. Do you know how to read?"

"No."

"I could teach you. I brought a lot of empty scrolls for practice."

Kouga smiled at Inuyasha one last time before disappearing in a tornado of dust and wind.

Inuyasha looked down at Kagome when her arms looped around his waist. "You handled that so well," she said. "I'm so proud."

The hanyou smirked and wrapped his arms around her. "What? You thought I couldn't be civilized?"

Kagome snorted and looked at him pointedly. Inuyasha smirked and leaned down to leisurely kiss her. "Baka," he heard her mutter when he released her and they continued on their journey, completely oblivious to the knowing looks of his companions behind him.