InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Bind a Soul ❯ The First Two Scrolls ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 29- The First Two Scrolls

Inuyasha announced a stop for the day, and everyone gratefully complied. They were not far from the village, and probably could have made it back a little after sunset if they had pushed it, but Inuyasha opted for staying where they were. Kagome was obviously tired for some odd reason and he wanted to let her rest.

"Inuyasha," Miroku called the hanyou over to him before he had a chance to go to Kagome.

"What?" he asked a bit upset.

"I need two days," the monk replied.

"Two days! Why?"

"To make sure everything is arranged and perfect. Also, I need to approach Sango and I have no guarantee I'll come out of that conversation alive," Miroku said patiently.

Inuyasha growled but nodded his head in understanding. He would do anything to make sure there were no more interruptions.

"Come on, Kagome," Inuyasha told the miko as he picked her up bridal style and jumped into a tree.

Kagome squealed and clutched to Inuyasha tightly. "Would it of hurt you to warn me, baka?" she asked as he arranged her so that her back was to his chest.

"You're tired," he stated, tucking her head under his chin.

"Only a little bit," she replied, yawning.

"Go to sleep Kagome."

"You're so demanding," the miko replied, but she was already nodding off.

^_^

"Sango," Miroku approached the demon exterminator carefully.

"What is it Houshi-sama?" she replied.

"I was wondering if I could have a word with you, privately?"

Sango raised an eyebrow but followed Miroku a little ways from the campsite.

"What is it?" Sango asked when he stopped.

"It concerns Inuyasha and Kagome-sama," he replied, sitting down on a nearby log.

"You're going to meddle," Sango stated.

"Only with Inuyasha's consent."

"I was going to do the same thing," Sango replied, sitting down next to Miroku, a little closer than her usual cautious out-of-groping-range distances. "With Kagome-Chan's consent of course," she added.

"Well, you see I came up with an idea," Miroku explained.

^_^

"Inuyasha, I want to go back to my time?" Kagome said for perhaps the tenth time that day. At the moment they were all in Kaede's hut, but the old miko was absent.

"Why?"

"Because I want to see my family. And we're running out of Ramen," she said, adding the last comment for leverage.

"Fine. But we're coming back the next day!"

"That's fine with me," Kagome replied. "Miroku-sama, I'm going to take one of the scrolls home with me."

"By all means, go right ahead," Miroku replied. "It is going to take me much longer than a day to simply go through one of them."

Kagome nodded and gathered her things. Inuyasha led the way to the well, mumbling the entire time about bitches and their demands. Kagome, of course, ignored him.

When they got to Kagome's time, the shrine grounds were empty. No one was home. Kagome settled herself at the kitchen table and took out the scroll.

"Do you have to read that now?" asked Inuyasha, sitting down beside her.

"Don't you want to know?"

"Well, yeah but . . ."

"I'll read it out loud so you don't have to do anything but listen," Kagome said patiently.

"Fine," Inuyasha replied, defeated.

Carefully, Kagome unrolled the scroll and scanned her eyes to the top were the title was written. "'The Beginning,'" Kagome read.

"This is probably the story Chiyo told us the first day we were there," Inuyasha summed it up.

"I'm still curious."

"Just read it, wench."

Kagome huffed a bit but continued. "The Beginning. My mother is dying and my father is sad. Why? Death is a part of life. Lately he's been going deep into the forest to the Sacred Mountain. Elder brother believes Father speaks to the gods. I don't care. Father should not be running about like a pup. He should be with the Pack. I should be grateful no one else can read this, else I would be severely punished for such obscenities. I really can't understand why. Everyone else is thinking the same thing.

Mother's fever was worse today, and father was gone for longer than usual. He said the Kamis gave him a means to save her life. I suppose if the Kamis will it, than it shall be. It doesn't matter. They will both die eventually. Everything dies.

Father is performing the spell as I write this. He is making mother drink a large amount of his blood. But something is wrong. Father's face is twisted with pain. Mother's life is fading away faster than before. Stupid Kamis. And stupid father. He should have known. Now I watch them both die an unnatural death. It saddens me somewhat, but it was brought upon themselves. Now the Pack and I have to wait to see what the Kami's price is. For some reason, I dread the Kami's arrival more than I dread death itself.

I was smart to dread the Kamis. Now I am cursed. Forever cursed. And there is no way to break it. I am soulless. I feel so empty inside. I will forever be as I am. An empty shell. Is this why the Kamis wanted my soul? So that they could fill their own emptiness? I suppose it does not matter. Nothing matters anymore.

It has been a century since I have written in this scroll. I am amazed that I still have it. I live alone now. I can not return to my Pack, I would simply be thrown out. Who wants a pup that will not grow? Though I am probably more powerful then they could ever hope to be. No one can kill me, and I can kill everyone. That is what I fill the emptiness with now. Blood. It lessens the burden somehow.

Five centuries since I lost my soul. I am still the same little girl. The youkai are beginning to shift and change. Evolution. I like that word. I think I'll use it more often.

Twelve centuries. I am still alone. I have spoken to no one in such a long time. I am so very tired. If I were to return to my Pack, I would know no one, and I would still no be welcomed. I am called the hanyou filth. Hanyou. Half-breed. They fear me because they do not understand how one so young could have eyes such as mine.

Thirty centuries, I think. I am alone and feared. There is a way to break my curse. I must simply wait for them to be defeated.

I have lost count of the centuries, though I estimate a hundred. I am still waiting, yet I have yet to learn patience. I suppose it isn't in my nature to be patient. I really couldn't care less. So tired. I have company now, though. A kitsune hanyou. Her parents were killed by humans. I still wait.

Ten centuries since I have last written. I had to cast a spell over this scroll so many times to keep it from rotting. I am so old, but yet the same. Well, maybe not quite the same. Many more live with me now. Mostly children youkai whose parents have been killed. Some humans as well. It's nice. I have a Pack again. Yet I still wait.

. . ." Kagome rolled the scroll up and sat quietly.

"What is she waiting for?" asked Inuyasha.

"The fall of the Kamis, perhaps?" she replied.

Inuyasha sighed. He felt very tired.

^_^

"So what have you discovered so far?" asked Sango as she sat down beside Miroku.

"The scroll discusses how it was pass down in stories and how it was altered from the very beginning," Miroku replied.

"Anything of use?"

"Bits and pieces. I suppose we should wait to speak of it when Inuyasha and Kagome-sama are here."

Sango nodded and turned to polished Hiraikotsu, bending down to reach her rag.

Miroku couldn't help it.

"Hentai," Sango replied very calmly, knocking the monk's hand away.

Miroku waited for unconsciousness to follow, but there was nothing. No Hiraikotsu crashing down on his head, no angry demon exterminator beating him to a pulp.

"Are you feeling okay?" Miroku asked.

"I'll get you back," Sango replied, giving the monk a chilling smile.