InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To know you is to know myself... ❯ Battle Skills ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 9 – Battle Skills



The next morning, Inuyasha awoke rather groggily, the images of his dream crashing back down into him, as he shook from the goose bumps that were still present on his flesh. He’d wondered when his dreams would start to involve her memories in his time….he’d just found out.

He’d dreamt of Kagome’s first time getting pulled down the well. He felt the pain when Mistress Centipede ripped the Shikon from her flesh. The fear of seeing a creature she didn’t understand, trying to kill her. As he remembered her emotions upon first seeing him pinned to the tree, he tried hard to stifle his blush, as he recalled Kagome was mesmerized by him. It was weird, seeing himself from her point of view, seeing himself pinned to the tree, as he slumbered. His blush darkened as he recalled rubbing his own ears. Then a small sensation of guilt crept upon him, when while still as Kagome, he’d been afraid, “You mean he isn’t a good guy!??” she’d shouted, dodging when he’d tried to sharpen his claws on her own body.

She’d felt a connection to him, something surreal, something that drew her to him, but when he’d awoken, and started calling her this Kikyo person, it hurt her, and when she found out he was a ‘bad guy’ that was after the jewel, she felt afraid of him, as well as stupid with herself.

Pinching his eyes shut to prevent tears from falling, Inuyasha recalled his own memories from that day. From his point of view, he’d only just been with Kikyo, everything had been fine, and lovey dovey, then she’d betrayed him, calling him a filthy hanyou, firing arrows at him, and smirking at his stupidity over thinking she’d ever truly have wanted to be with him. So it actually came as little surprise, after he’d stolen the jewel from the village, and made off with it, that she appeared, and fired another arrow at him. But it still hurt, all the anger in her eyes, directed at him. Why, “How could you?” he’d asked her.

Then to open his eyes and see Kagome standing before him, smelling so much like Kikyo, it was no wonder his feelings of betrayal and hatred were so fresh. He’d never stopped to think about it from her point of view, until now, when he was forced to. When Kaede’s magic put the rosary on him, and she frantically, in a heart beat, seeing his dog ears, thought of the word sit as the subduing word, she had been scared to death in that moment, that he was going to kill her.

His dream hadn’t ended there either, oh no, it continued, to stretch over the first few days Kagome spent in his time, before she snuck home via the well for the first time. He felt every sting when he’d compared her to Kikyo, and the utter despair and confusion over her apparent calling at being some great miko to protect this sacred jewel thing. She just wanted to go home, she didn’t want to have anything to do with it, or him….

He was finally spared from her memories, but not until after he’d shattered the jewel, and felt the incredible remorse, the guilt, the embarrassment, over that failure. The strange sensation in the pit of her stomach when Kaede explained that the two of them would have to work together, the feeling that…maybe she did belong here, after all…..

Shaking it all free from his head now, he stood up, to see Kagome perched up in a tree, keeping watch over all of them. The image made him smile; she was taking this situation rather well, all things considered. The only thing that seemed odd about the image of his own body perched up in that tree, would have to be the sleeping kitsune that was curled in his lap. Chuckling to himself, he went about rolling up her sleeping roll, as Sango and Miroku both began to wake from where they slept, snuggled together, their bedding right besides one another. He had to admit, he was happy for them. If there was only one person who deserved to find that kind of happiness more than those two, it was his Kagome…. his Kagome???

He was pulled from his thoughts when said miko, currently in hanyou form, leapt down from the tree, cradling Shippo under her arm, as she proclaimed she smelled a youkai!

“What kind?” he asked her quickly.

“I’m not sure! It’s nothing I recognize….but it definitely smells hungry…”

That last statement got Miroku and Sango to their feet, as he clinched his staff, and proclaimed that he agreed with Kagome, that he could definitely feel a demonic aura, closing in on them, fast.

“So that’s that sensation….” Inuyasha mumbled, feeling it in his miko aura, but not understanding it, besides the feeling of uneasiness it was giving him. “I can feel its evil too…” he stated louder.

Suddenly, the youkai in question cleared through the brush of the forest, into their clearing. It was a large oni, and appeared to be made of trees. It was obvious, this being lived in the forest, and feasted upon travelers who lost their way.

“Mmm, you lot look good enough to eat…I shall devour your flesh, after you hand over the jewel shards!” he ground out in a low, threatening voice.

“I don’t think so!” Kagome shouted, as she instinctively launched herself at the beast.

“Kagome! What are you doing?!?!” Sango shouted, but Kagome likely hadn’t heard her over her own cry of

“Iron Reaver Soul Stealer!!”

She effortlessly slashed at the beast, leaving deep gouges in his chest and belly, that oozed a sickeningly thick, black blood.

Hiraikotsu!” Sango cried next, as she flung her weapon, severing the branch-like tentacle that had shot out of the oni, aimed for Kagome in retaliation for the attack.

Miroku flung several of his sacred sutras at the thing, which sizzled and burned where they made contact.

“It’s like a tree!” Shippo spouted, attacking the base of one of its feet with Fox Fire

It hissed in pain and kicked Shippo several yards away.

“Shippo!” Kagome screamed, as she drew Tetsusaiga.

Sango and Miroku were amazed when the sword transformed for her, and she held it firmly, in a defensive stance, all the while groaning in her mind I hadn’t wanted to practice like this!!!

Suddenly, a sacred arrow went zipping by everyone’s heads, and Sango and Miroku turned to have an increased expression of amazement adorn their faces, as they saw Inuyasha posed with his bow drawn, another arrow already notched. But the oni dodged out of the way this time, and a moving target being much harder to hit, the arrow missed.

“Damn…” they heard Inuyasha hiss, as he pulled another arrow from his quiver, all the while keeping a very protective eye on Kagome, who appeared to be preparing to use the Wind Scar.

“Feisty little things…” the oni smirked. “Give me the shards, and perhaps I will spare your lives….”

“Yeah right…” Kagome groaned sarcastically. “I don’t even need my sense of smell to tell me you’re lying…”

The oni only smirked down at the hanyou.

“Or my eyes to tell me that you’re ugly!” she bellowed next, sounding so Inuyasha, she even surprised Inuyasha!

“Wind Scar!” she screamed, as she lunged at the youkai, swinging Tetsusaiga, pouring her feelings into the attack just as she had with her claw attack.

It worked…..

The wounds of wind ripped through the oni, and in an instant, he was reduced to fire wood. But in the very last second, before he’d fallen, he’d shot out another tentacle that was heading straight for Kagome, until another sacred arrow suddenly attached itself to said tentacle, purifying it into a cloud of dust mere seconds before the rest of his body followed suit due to the sword’s blast.

“Impressive…” was the first thing Miroku could think of to say, after the danger had passed.

“Keh…” Kagome had spouted, but before anyone could begin to worry if being in each other’s body’s was somehow turning then into each other, she looked her friends in the eyes, and winked.

“Damn stupid bitch just had to show off, didn’t she…” Inuyasha teased next, as he walked forward to collect the arrow that had missed its target, and was still useable.


Phew, they were still themselves…after all.