InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To know you is to know myself... ❯ Confessions ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 11 – Confessions


“Are you still in love with me?”


It was a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question, right? So why did it feel like the entire entire universe had put itself on pause until she answered it? The midnight forest was suddenly eerily calm, eerily quiet. Even with her demonic hearing, she could hear no animals, no insects, no rustling leafs in the wind, nothing. Nothing but her own breathing, and pounding heart beat, as well as the breathing and pounding heart beat of her companion.

Then her nose picked up the tang of salt water, and glancing up again, she was stunned to see tears streaming down the face that was once her own. He actually let them fall? Gazing deeply into her own pools of chocolate, she reached up, and carefully brushed the tears away with the backs of her knuckles, careful of her claws.

Finally, she whispered “….yes….” but as soon as she said it, she turned around, unable to look into his eyes any longer.

“Kagome…look at me.” He requested gently, but the only response she gave was to lower her ears to her head.

She felt a delicate human hand placed softly upon her shoulder, and she almost turned around, before the pain of her own dream came back to her, and suddenly, she wasn’t as upset with Inuyasha as she used to be.

“I understand now…” he heard her mumble.

“Kagome….that memory took place over 50 years ago.” he tried to reason. He knew damn well that Kagome had felt how strongly in love he had been with Kikyo, but he had to make her understand, he didn’t feel that way any more.

“Not for you…” she mumbled next. “For you it was only like a year and a half ago.”

“A lot can happen in a year and a half.” he answered next. He was pretty sure his human ears picked up her mutter of “keh” so he felt himself compelled to continue with… “If you don’t believe me, go back to sleep. You should start to dream of the times we’ve spent together now…”

He was sure his ears picked up her grumble of “No thanks” and it stung him. Though he recalled very well every time he compared her to Kikyo, every time he called her a shard detector, he knew damn well what his true feelings regarding the matter were, and there would be no better way for him to explain himself than to simply allow his own memories to do it for him. Like the time he stole her shards and tossed her down the well. She probably thought he betrayed her, and had only been pretending to be nice to her all along, and was just itching for the opportune moment in which to get rid of her. But the truth was, he wanted to protect her. He didn’t want any more women to die…because of him.

He wasn’t sure what first made him fall in love with her. Of course, there had always been an attraction, he even almost kissed her shortly after they met, but it was an early infatuation back then, based on how closely she resembled Kikyo. He knows that now. He also knows that his feelings have grown since then. Maybe it was the way she so bravely stood up to his brother. Maybe it was the way she hadn’t betrayed him when she discovered his night of weakness, but rather, risked her own life to save him. Maybe it was the way she shed tears for him. That passing thought brought him more pain, when he remembered quite clearly, she didn’t only cry for him, but she also cries because of him, and more often than she should. Now was no exception, he soon realized, when he got up and moved himself around to face her after she refused to turn around, only to discover that she’d been trying to hide the tears she knew he couldn’t smell at the moment.

Her amber eyes met his chocolate for the briefest of moments, before she closed them and turned her head to the side. She was doing a really good job of not being too overly emotional, probably because the youkai blood flowing within her veins was numbing her emotions, at least to a point. Inuyasha’s fully human heart went out to her in that moment, how could he make her understand? He feared saying the wrong thing, so finally, he opted to say nothing, but instead, leaned himself forward, embracing her in a warm hug, a hug which she, eventually, returned.

Kagome wasn’t sure what time it was, but it was obviously still the middle of the night, regardless of the exact hour. She was exhausted from having stayed awake the night before, and then having to fight that oni. Feeling herself held protectively by the man she loved, regardless of who was currently in whose body, she felt safe, and eventually, she surrendered to the pull on her eyelids, and allowed sleep to find her once more. Her last thought before unconsciousness was on what Inuyasha had said. She hoped he was right.

***Kagome’s Dream***

He’s climbing up the cliff face as fast as he can, grumping to himself about how he doesn’t see why he had to find that stupid tree right now. He hears her call to him to wait up, and a little cranky, he snaps back that it’d take too long.

Damn woman, must have forgotten the lunar month starts tonight.

Immerging on the top of the hill, he found the demon tree. That was it all right, loaded with human fruit, and some ugly Mo-Fo was apparently feeding the damn thing. His attack didn’t go so well when Tetsusaiga was repelled off of his fat belly, and next thing he knew, this man, who had claimed to be a sage, had sucked him up into a gourd. He frantically tried to claw his way out, only to loose his claws when the sun set. Watching his hands turn human, he felt genuine panic, before he tethered his emotions. As the acid burned his foot, he recoiled, grumping about how he hated being human, hated feeling pain. He was worried he was done for, when he realized Tetsusaiga’s scabbard, which was still on his hip, was calling the katana. Using this, he held it out, ordering the sword to come to him, which it did, flying through the air and piercing the bottle. When the sage pulled it free, he poured out with the liquid, growing to his normal size.

He tried to fight, but got body slammed underneath the stone-like sage. Coming to, he discovered he was still human, so he knew it was the same night, and he was tied up quite thoroughly by vines that pricked him with their thorns when he struggled. The sage laughed and told him the more he struggled, the easier it would be to extract nourishment from him. He told him how a hanyou would be excellent nourishment, and ordered him to hurry up and get his powers back.

When he notices the empty glass bottle that contained Kagome’s jewel shards, then notices the jewel shards in Tokajin’s belly, he asks frantically what happened to the girl who owned those shards. Unfortunately, the peach man hadn’t even been aware there was a girl, and now quite delighted, goes out to see if he can find her. He feels horrible now. Hang in there Kagome he thinks to himself. Don’t get caught, I’ll save you…somehow.

Feeling dizzy he once again curses his human body, realizing he’s lost too much blood. He freaks when the sage shows back up with Kagome’s clothes in his hand, and reveals that he plans to use her for nourishment for the youkai tree as well. The sage rather effortlessly deduces that his prisoner was in love with “that girl” and Inuyasha doesn’t dignify that with a response, because he knows it’s true, also.

He realized all was not lost, when Miroku’s tiny Wind Tunnel proved strong enough to help him escape the thorny vines, and with his friend's direction, he runs off towards the cellar where he’s told him Kagome had been taken.

Crashing into the room shouting out Kagome’s name, he’s so relieved when he hears her call out his name excitedly in return, and then his eyes bug out of his head when he realizes she’s naked. She’s so beautiful. Kagome finally realizes it also, and ducks back down into the liquid, while he plops himself on the ground turning to avert his gaze from her, all the while thinking Thank Kami she’s alive.

He hears her approach, but doesn’t turn to look at her, out of respect, and hands her his fire-rat robe. “It’s a bit torn up, but here…where it.” She thanks him. He tries to stand, but he’s so dizzy that he collapses back down to the ground, completely out of it.

Coming to after only a moment, he’s leaning up against a wall, resting, when Kagome reappears wrapped in his haori. He finds out it’s not even near dawn when she says it’s still pitch black out, but she thinks she found a way for them to escape. When he thinks about having her escape without him, she shuts it down before he can even say it, and then they discover the true sage, who was Tokajin’s teacher, before the Human-Faced Fruit Tree corrupted him. While hearing the story of how this all came to be they’re interrupted by Tokajin, who’s now completely stone. He tries to fight him but is still too weak, when the true sage instructs him to drink the potion. He’s disgusted by the idea! It’s made from humans! He understands all too well the peach man’s desire to be strong, his disgust with how weak humans are, and he’s still disgusted by the guy. Rejecting the potion, he launches another attack.

He’s momentarily saved then, when after the true sage turns himself into a bow and arrow for Kagome, she successfully knocks the jewel shards from Tokajin’s body, making him fleshy once more.

Now’s my chance.

He lunges towards the man, and knocks him, along with himself, down the side of the cliff.

Damn

He hears the sage taunt, “Serves you right, with a mortal’s body, you’ll die too.”

“Maybe so, but at least….if Kagome is alive…” My death will be honorable. He hears her crying his name, and it pains him. Kagome, I’m sorry.

Suddenly, he’s ‘saved’ by the greedy youkai tree, who simply didn’t want to loose any nourishment. It had gained the ability to move when the jewel shards that flew from Tokajin’s body landed in its bark. Thank the Kami that the tree consumed the false sage first. By the time he feels himself getting covered with the tree’s roots, hearing him boast about how lucky he is to have also acquired a hanyou, the sunrises over the valley, and in an instant, his powers return.

He successfully kills the stupid tree, and works his way back up the cliff to where his friends are. Before he reaches them, he hears the voices that tell him both Miroku and Shippo were restored to their proper sizes. Then he realizes they're discussing his having fallen to his death, and how stupid it was of him to take on such a monstrosity while in his human form. He confronts them, trying to be lighthearted about it all, telling them he ain’t so easily killed. Kagome flings herself on him, balling her eyes out. His first instinct is to comfort her and tell her it’s alright, he even feels compelled to kiss her. But then, of course, that fucking letch of a monk is right there, not to mention the brat, so trying tough love instead, he tells her to stop blubbering. She insists she’s not, he insists she is, it goes back and forth like that a few times before she finally sits him.