InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Serve and Protect ❯ A Surprise Around Every Corner! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: New, new, new! I'm liking this new idea. But JUST so you know, I do own Inuyasha... *dodges a bullet* Okay maybe I don't but I hope to someday. Ha.

Inuyasha: Dream on freak girl.

Re-chan: Shut up. I'll kill you, Inuyasha. I could always just tell Kagome about the poems you wrote. *runs holding up a notebook*

Inuyasha: WHAT?! HOW DID YOU GET INTO MY JOURNAL?! F---ing wench! Come back! *takes chase*

Re-chan: *laughs as Inuyasha face-plants* Onto the fanfiction...

Chapter Two: A Surprise Around Every Corner!

Kagome carried a few boxes up the stairs and into the apartment, taking in the door number, "Apartment # 13? Talk about freaky Fridays." she mused.

"Freaky or not, this is where you're going to be living until this Naraku deal clears up." he shrugged.

"Will I...be able to phone my family?" she shyly let the words escape.

He shook his head, "Not until we catch him, Kagome. He's been a major problem for years." he flipped through his copy of the police file, "Drug dealing, murder, rape, pedophilic acts, molestation, harassment, substance abuse, bank fraud, grand theft auto, stolen imports... And it goes on like that. All the way to small misdemeanors like shoplifting. He's pretty dirty. We've been onto him for years." he looked up at her.

"My God..." she gasped. "We? Years? How old are you, Inuyasha?"

"Twenty." he said, plugging in the coffee pot.

Twenty? He looks younger than that! she thought, "So how is it proven we're married?"

"Here." he opened up an envelope, "They look authentic."

"A marriage license?" she gulped, "Kagome...Hikage? That's my name?"

"It is now! You're lucky the guys don't know your real name."

"Then why change it?"

"A safety precaution." he shrugged.

"Oh..." she blinked, 'Well, I guess I'll get the rest of my boxes, do you have anything down there?"

"Nah, I got everything." he gave her a thumbs up.

She nodded, "Okay, I'll be back in a few."

"Yep."

She started down the stairs and out the door to the car. There were only a few boxes left so she gathered them in her arms and began up the stairs. A sweltering pain shifted through her right leg and she heard a recherché, "Oh no!" she collapsed against the building, "What...was that?!"

"Kagome!" Inuyasha speedily made his way down to her, "Shit! I heard the shots, they shot you?!" he yelled and picked her up, "Son of a bitch!" he dashed up the stairs and into the apartment.

Kagome watched as blood oozed from her leg, "It's still stuck in there, Inuyasha!" she hissed. She shrieked as he ripped off one of her pant legs, "Inuyasha!"

"Turn your ass over!" he yelled to her, "I got the first aid kit."

She did as told, "I'm sorry for being stupid." she said against the sheets.

"This is going to hurt, okay?" he said.

"What?"

Before she could react he climbed on top of her and held her leg down with his hand, jabbing something painfully into her leg, "I...I got it!" she felt him pull it out.

"Ouch! Get off, you oaf!" she squinted.

He sat up and climbed off the bed, "Turn around here."

She once again, changed her position for him, "Thank you." she smiled.

He shrugged and sat on the bed, "No problem. Now give me your leg." he pulled it onto his lap and dabbed her leg down with anesthetics then, tightly bound it with a long bandage, "There, it won't bleed as bad and I stopped it from getting infected."

She blushed, "You..."

"Oi!" he hastily turned about, "I didn't mean to rip it off like that. If you need, borrow a pair of my jogging pants."

She pulled her pants off, "I've got some." she dug into her boxes and pulled out a black skirt, slipping it on.

"Okay. Sorry. I didn't mean to ruin them."

"They were old anyways." she slipped off the bed, "Okay I'm decent."

He turned around, "You shouldn't let that show, ain't you got a pair of pants or something?"

She blinked, "I think." she turned and pulled out a pair of black pants, "Turn around again." she waved.

He began to turn and the phone rang. He ran to it and picked up, "Hello?"

"Inuyasha," the voice on the other side said, "You've been discovered. Naraku sent some lackeys to take Kagome out. I must say I'm quite angry with you. You neglected your duties as an officer."

"I...apologize, Chief Kaede." he sighed, "It won't happen again."

"No it won't, because I'm taking you off the case."

"No, don't take me off the case! I can do this! I-" the phone was taken from him.

"Hello?" Kagome said.

"Young Kagome, I presume?" she asked.

"Yes, please, if you're thinking of taking Inuyasha off the case, don't. He... I'd be bleeding to death if not for him. I'm begging you not to."

A sigh was heard through the receiver, "Very well, I shall grant him another chance."

"Thank you...uh...I'm sorry for interrupting." she said.

"All is well, child. Allow me to speak to the mongrel." she said.

"Here..." Kagome smiled at him and handed him the phone.

"What did you do?!" he growled at her and picked up the phone, "H-Hello?"

"Very well, Inuyasha. You'll stay on the case. I'm glad to hear you pulled through for her. By the way, we're giving you a new address. Meet Miroku around back. He shall take you to your new address." she said.

"Thanks, Chief." he said and hung up the phone.

"So, what happened?" she asked.

"I think you just saved my ass." he said, "We gotta go." he stuffed her clothes in with his and handed her a large box, "Hold this."

"Why?"

"Cause I have to hold you." he said as he picked her up.

"Eek! Okay." she squeaked as he ran down the stairs at speeds faster than the human eye.

"Where..." his eyes shifted.

Suddenly a black Nissan pulled up and the door flew opened, "Get in!"

"Thanks, Miroku!" he slid in the back seat and slammed the door, "Did anyone take out the shooter?" Inuyasha asked.

"Yeah, some hired snipers." Miroku said.

"Okay. So where's this new apartment?"

"On the other side of the damned city." he laughed.

"Aw, what the fuck..." Inuyasha growled.

"Who's the lovely young woman sitting on your lap?"

"Kagome Higurashi." he said.

He smiled into the rearview mirror, "Miroku Kazaana. Would you consider bearing my-ow! Cripes, Inuyasha!" he rubbed his head.

"Don't finish that sentence." he growled.

"Yes, yes. Nice meeting you, Kagome-sama." he smiled.

She smiled, "Likewise."

"Drive." Inuyasha said.

"Right..." he sighed, "Sango and I are assigned to apartment next to you. Down the hall actually. Call us if you have any problems." he said.

"What?! Now I got watchdogs?!" he growled.

"Just until things we're positive it's okay." he grinned, "Speaking of which, we're here." he said.

"You guys have everything set up?" Inuyasha blinked.

"Yes. Here are the new certificates of marriage, the new ID cards and everything." he said, "Your boxes are inside. Just unpack and we'll be ready."

"Alright. You ready, Kagome?" he looked down at her.

She nodded, "I guess." she breathed.

"Okay, let's go." he said carrying her to the front desk, "Hello?" he said hitting the bell.

"You must be the newly weds!" a short statured old man came to the front desk, "I'm Myouga, the landlord. Name please?"

"Inuyasha and Kagome Taijiya." he said.

He typed a few things in the computer that sat in front of him, "ID?"

Inuyasha showed him his driver's license, "Yeah."

"Okay. Everything's been set up for you and your lovely wife, Mr. Taijiya. You two have a good one." he set a room key in Inuyasha's hand.

Inuyasha nodded to him, "And to you."

Kagome looked at him as they climbed the stairway, "Thank you, Inuyasha. I'd probably be dead if it weren't for you..."

"Keh, it's my job, woman. Don't thank me." he snorted, "Ohh... we got put on the rich man's floor. 48F." he smiled, "We're going to take the elevator."

"Okay..." Kagome blinked a few times noticing a square bulge in his jacket, "What's this...?" she said digging in his pocket.

"Don't touch that!" he growled, "I'll show you when we get upstairs."

"Okay, jeez." she huffed.

Inuyasha tapped his foot impatiently as he pressed the button again, "Come on, fourth floor already." he jumped when the lift finally started moving up.

Kagome sighed as she waited, "So, you read Anne Rice?" she asked kindly.

"Yeah, she's the coolest American author there is. She's got an interesting way of writing to. She puts her books in different perspectives. She makes you think, too." he grinned happily when he heard a ding.

"Favorite book so far?"

"That's... probably Interview With the Vampire." he said walking down the hall with her in arm, making it look almost casual, "Uh can you..."

"Unlock the door? Here." she held out her hand.

He put the key in her small hand, "Thanks."

"Mhm." she said turning the lock and twisting the knob opened.

"Hey..."

"Wow!" she beamed, "This place is huge!"

The apartment was pretty big for just being an apartment. It looked more like a house. But only with on floor. There was one bedroom, a bathroom, a large kitchen and living space and behind two French doors was a large balcony with a hot tub to the side. The apartment was furnished with nice white walls and long green curtains. In the living space was a nice large television set and a couch in front of it. The bed room looked about the size of the kitchen with a queen sized bed and a large window with a set of blinds for privacy.

"They went all out didn't they." he said blankly.

"I guess..."

He set her down, "Well, I'll unpack. Just have a seat."

"I can help you." she said softly.

"No, just sit. Occupy yourself with this." he threw her a book.

She gasped, "Merrick? Oh, thank you!" she hugged him from behind.

"Aw, cripes! It's just a stupid book, now sit down. Let your leg heal." he sighed as he peeled her hands off of him and went straight to unpacking.

She smiled as he turned away and had a seat. He was a nice guy beneath it all, it just took some digging and you could see it. Before she knew it, she'd fallen asleep on the sofa, with Inuyasha there, watching her.

AN: Muwahaha. Yet another chapter complete. Read on. And review. For the love of Sesshoumaru, review.