InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ To Serve and Protect ❯ As the Walls Come Closing In ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Muwahaha! Chapta four is uppppppp! Hope you like this chapter. Really sorry for the delay folks, I've been kind of sick and not feeling well or this would have been up sooner. Well, here it is. Oh wait, by the way, Shippo is much older in this.

Chapter Four: As the Walls Come Closing In

The men from the library had come out, finally. They were looking from one end of the street to the other, unable to determine which way she went.

"Oh please, please don't see me!" she whispered fiercely to herself.

Suddenly a strong hand clasped around her mouth and another snaked around her waist, trapping her arms against her, "Boy, oh boy are you a lucky one!" said a husky voice, "You'd better count your fucking blessings I found you before they did." the voice whispered and then the hand slowly slipped from her mouth.

"Ah! Let me go you asshole!" she cried struggling.

"Kagome, it's me, you moron!" he snorted.

"I-Inuyasha?!" she cupped his face, "Oh thank goodness!" she said throwing her arms around him tightly, "I was scared..." she whispered.

He didn't really know what else to do but hug her back, "You..."

"I'm sorry I lost my temper! I'm sorry I left! I'm so sorry I was being so-"

"Kagome!!" he shook her violently.

"I'm...sorry... I didn't listen." she sobbed, looking down.

"It's... okay. It's all right Kagome." he said and picked her up, "I'm going to take you home, okay?" He wouldn't have been so kind had the girl not been scared out of her wits. She was crumbling before his very eyes. Every since he'd met her, even after he'd met her when he'd asked her about everything that had happened, she didn't wince, not once. And for the first time in three months, he felt really bad. Sure, he'd felt bad before, but not like this. His shirt was beginning to soak with her tears. He just took the quickest way home.

Kagome sat there on the bathroom sink, not thinking, not moving, not...being really, with solemn look plastered on her tear stricken face. She was upset, not just scared, not just sad or even remotely mad. She was upset. The first time she'd been beaten she was scared and shaken. But she didn't really cry. Not like this, she hadn't even realized she was crying. It was just happening. She wished so much she could be home with Souta and her mom and grandpa. So she could pet Buyo. So she could sleep in her own bed. Besides what she wanted, she needed to face the reality that everything had already changed. It didn't matter anymore. At this point she didn't know if anything did.

"Kagome?" Inuyasha's voice rang in her ears.

"Hmm?" she looked up.

"God, I couldn't see it in the dark, you have a nice cut along your cheek line..."

"Oh..."

"Do you even care?" he said gently rubbing beside it.

"No."

"Kagome... look at me..." he said.

She looked up, glumly, "What?"

"You're kind of scaring me. You're usually smiling and stuff..."

"Well, get used to it, I don't care anymore. Save yourself the work of protecting me and let me go back to where I was before this. I don't care if I live or die." she whispered, pushing herself off of the sink and past him.

He blinked, what was she talking about, now she was giving up?! Why was she acting like this? She needed to cheer up! It was making him uncomfortable. When he got in the kitchen Kagome was just hanging up the phone. Apparently it rang in the middle of their fight. He went to her into the kitchen where she was pulling the milk out of the fridge, "What's this horseshit?" he snorted.

"What? Just leave me alone. I'm sick of bickering with you." she said, sounding even more upset, pouring the milk into a glass.

He cornered her against the counter, "Stop talking like you're giving up! Naraku won't ge-"

"I don't care!!! What do you want me to do?! Just roll over and be like, 'Oh well that never happened!'? Because, I can't! I can't Inuyasha!" she said, smashing the glass against the counter with her hand. Blood began seeping into the milk puddle and dripping onto the floor with the glass that was scattered about.

"K-Kagome..."

"I'm... s-sorry..." she squealed and cupped her hands to her face, sobbing uncontrollably.

"W-What..."

"I'm alone... Their dead... Oh God, Inuyasha, their dead... Where am I going to... Oh... my..." she slid down the cupboard doors and curled herself into a ball.

"What?! Who?!"

"Someone... burnt down... the..." she choked, feeling as though she couldn't breathe.

Inuyasha panicked as he saw her grab a hold of her throat in a desperate attempt to breathe. His fear rose when her eyes rolled back into her head, "Kagome! Mother fucker!!!" He quickly stuck his finger in her mouth to keep her from swallowing her tongue, "Don't die on me, okay?!" he said reaching his other hand up and grabbing the phone. He quickly dialed the three digit number, "H-Hello? I need an ambulance here, now!" he yelled, "Uhm, uhm.... 473 Sakura Apartments! Apartment # 48F! Hurry please, my fr-wife's having a seizure!"

"Will she be okay?"

"Yes, Mr. Taijiya. She had a mild seizure... Do you know what could have caused this?"

"She lost her family recently and we've been having some personal problems."

"Okay..." the nurse checked off her clipboard, "Thank you."

"Mhm..." he sighed as he ran a hand through his bangs.

"Inuyasha!" a feminine voiced called.

He turned, "Sango, Miroku?"

Miroku nodded, "Is she okay?"

"Fine, she had a seizure... She must have had a nervous breakdown..." he sighed.

"I'm sorry..." Sango said.

"Nothing... can... ever be right for her again..." he sighed.

"We heard..." Sango lowered her head, "Poor Kagome."

Miroku put a kind hand on her shoulder, "We'll just have to be there for her."

"I don't know what else to do..." Inuyasha put his head in his hands, "I've... I've been an ass to her these past months... I haven't really helped out at all. I should have... I should have... God, I don't know..." he sighed.

"You couldn't have known, Inuyasha."

"Well I should have suspected! She's been really sad ever since she moved out of her house and stuff. I mean, she smiles still, but tonight she was... She had a nervous breakdown, how do I fix something like that?" he huffed.

"You can't, Kagome needs time to heal." Sango said, "But... you could have been a little nice to her. If I were you, I'd just apologize."

He nodded, "I guess I could do that..."

"Mr. Taijiya?"

He turned see a red headed boy with bright green eyes, "Who are you?" Inuyasha blinked.

The young man blinked, "I'm the doctor... But call me Shippo."

"You can't be! You're younger than me!"

"I'm 18!"

"How early did you graduate?!"

"When I was 16!"

"Nuh uh!!"

"Yes, I did! Now do you want the news or not?!"

"Fine, fine."

"Kagome's in good condition but she had a mild seizure. She can go home here in about an hour. Until then, go ahead and visit her." he said.

"Thanks kid." he said patting his head and walking on by.

Shippo growled, "Shippo!"

AN: Welll....that's ittttttt. Buh bye.