InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Training Hearts ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I love the only Inuyasha related thing I own. My cute little chibi inu key-chain which lives out its happy life on my iPod making fashion statements everywhere (Ha! Take that Parris Hilton! You want something hot? Then look at my iPod cuz it's so cute and knows how to accessorize.)
 
 
 
Chapter five
 
 
“Kagome,” a soft voice called from outside her bedroom. Said girl groaned and pulled a pillow over her head. Did it have to be morning so soon? She wanted to forget all about her fiasco of a date yesterday, granted that it was mostly her fault. Her friends had gone home the night before after comforting her the best they could, but she couldn't gauge their opinions. Somehow, she knew that they wouldn't have made the same slip ups she had, and she didn't even want to know what they really thought. What she did want was for them to be there for her, and they were. That is what true friends did, and even though she still wanted to strangle them, she was glad she had them.
 
“Kagome,” the voice called out again and she quickly identified it as her mother. She heard her open the door and walk in to sit on the edge of her bed.
 
“Kagome, coach Takashi is here. He wanted for me to get you. I think…I think that something happened to Inuyasha.”
 
If her mother had said anything other then `Inuyasha', there was no way she was gonna get out of that bed. Since she had however…
 
“What happened to him?” She demanded, throwing the pillow away from her head and to the other side of the room.
 
“I don't know…he wouldn't say. All I know is that he came here first thing this morning very concerned. He says that he would like to talk to you though. Why don't you…”
 
Kagome leapt out of bed and ran down the stairs before her mother could even tell her to get dressed.
 
She looked in the foyer, but he wasn't there, so she ran over to the living room to find him sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee. Her mother must have offered him a cup when he came over. Her father was sitting in his armchair, pretending to read the morning paper, but she could tell from the look on his face that if he was reading the paper, he was reading the same line over and over again.
 
“Sesshomaru? What is it? What happened?”
 
Her coach put the coffee down on the end table and called her over to sit with him.
 
He was silent for a moment before slowly asking, “What time did Inuyasha take you home last night?”
 
“Eight forty-seven. Why? What happened?”
 
“And…it is safe to assume that he didn't spend the night?”
 
Her father, who had just sipped some of his own coffee, spewed the substance all over his paper at Sesshomaru's word choice, or rather, the implications behind them.
 
“I can assure you, that boy didn't set foot in this house after he abandoned Kagome here in tears.”
 
“Dad, please,” she hissed to her father, turning back to Sesshomaru and giving him a simple `no'.
 
“I see…and…you say that something went wrong on the date?”
 
“I wouldn't like to go into the details, but I have gone on better, yes. Sesshomaru…please…what is wrong?”
 
“Inuyasha never came home last night,” he told her with a great deal of difficulty. “Everyone in my family is out looking for him, but I thought that it would be best to start with the person that saw him last.”
 
“He's missing?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“What can I do to help find him?”
 
“Nothing,” her father said, “what you can do is go over to the gym and go on as if nothing happened. I am sure that he will turn up. He is a grown man. He can take care of himself.”
 
“But…”
 
“Your father's right. I am going to keep looking for him, but I think that he will be in one of two places.”
 
“What are those places?”
 
“The gym, or the graveyard.”
 
 
 
***
 
 
 
Inuyasha lay in on the dirt and grass, numb and cold. Not physically. Psychologically. Mentally, he felt like he was living in Siberia. He still wasn't sure how he got here, but it felt right. After his date with Kagome, he felt that he had learned a lot. One was that you can't change the past. The other was that you can't change fate. It was melodramatic, yeah, but that is how he truly felt, and somehow, his feelings had led him here. He absently wondered how she would feel if she knew that he was laying six feet above her, drinking in the feel of her long gone presence. Just being here…it made everything seem better.
 
Everyone has that first love. That person that you give your first kiss to, that first special time, that first feeling of absolute rightness to when you're with them. That person that you can't forget for the rest of your life, even if things don't work out for you…even if they die and leave you alone, helpless, wishing with every living breath that they were still here to wipe your tears away. Kiss your scratches and tell you that everything would be all right. That they would never leave you.
 
“If you had a chance at getting back together with your Ex, would you take it?”
 
Her death was a bitter one. There was no sense of closure. It just…happened. To this day, he still blamed himself.
 
“If only I had driven her home…if only I had kept her for a few more minutes…if only we had not celebrated…”
 
How many times had he asked himself that? How many times had he wondered how different life would be right now, if something had gone differently that night?
 
It was a celebration. That was the reason she had come over. He was the favorite to win, and had won gold in the all around and the parallel bar. She was so proud of him…she had told him countless times over the phone that it felt like she was dating a celebrity. There wasn't a single person that didn't know his name, and it just made her heart swell. She wanted to do something to celebrate his achievement. Not just anything would do though, no, she wanted to come over to his house and cook him dinner. She wanted to…to…God…it was still so hard thinking about that night. So many good things had happened. Lots of firsts, and lasts…but now…now he felt numb.
 
He had a fun game that he liked to play every so often. The rules were simple: all he had to do was imagine what life would be like now for him had she still been alive. Sometimes she would have a pretty ring on her left hand. The diamond would sparkle in the light like a little star that never dimmed. That is what she was like, he supposed. She was a star. She would live on in his mind for years after her death. Remembered always for now and ever. It was a comforting thought.
 
“Inuyasha…I am so sorry…”
 
How had he let it happen? Why couldn't he have at least made her stay the night? She didn't have to sleep in his bed. After all, they had a guest room. She could have stayed there, though that was rather silly given all the different ways and things they had done to celebrate.
 
“What happened. Sesshomaru, what's wrong?”
 
Maybe they should have watched another movie, or done…that again, but…even if that had happened…it didn't change the outcome of that night.
 
“Kikyo…I'm sorry Inuyasha…so very sorry, but she was…”
 
The wind blew through the trees, and he swore for a moment that he heard laughter. Her laughter…it had been the best sound in the world, and he missed it. It was the sound of angels laughing to him. Her voice was like a choir of them singing.
 
“Kikyo was…she was driving home when…”
 
“Oh God…”
 
“I'm sorry…”
 
“Inuyasha, what are you doing here?”
 
“What does it matter Sesshomaru?”
 
“It matters.”
 
Sesshomaru had been watching his brother for the last ten minutes as he lay motionless in the dirt. He hated seeing him like this. He reminded him of the day that he had told him what had happened to Kikyo. The look on his face was the same as the one that was on his face now.
 
“I know that you miss her—”
 
“You don't know shit about what I going through Sesshomaru. You have no idea what it is to loose someone that you love so completely.”
 
“Yes I do, and it is the same person that we both almost lost. Inuyasha…what happened to you? What are you doing here?”
 
He was silent as he rolled back over onto his side and played with a tuft of grass that grew over her resting place. He could almost count the days that it had taken for the grass to start to grow there, for he had visited her everyday after her funeral for a few hours until it got to the point that his family had to ban him from going there for a few months.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Just do me a favor and shut up, ok Sesshomaru?”
 
“I can't do that.”
 
“And why the fuck not?”
 
“Because I have seen you like this before, and I do not plan on seeing you like this again. I do not know what happened to you, but snap out of it!”
 
“Why the hell do you care?”
 
“Because you might have lost a girlfriend, future fiancé, and someday wife, but I lost a brother. You changed, and you were dead for four years. Four fucking years! I will not let this happen to you all over again. So you had a bad date with Kagome. So what? You think that you are the only one that has had a bad date before? No. I have had quite a few of them, and I will have a few more I am sure until I get married. I want to know what the hell happened that ma—”
 
“If you could go back to an Ex, would you? If you had a chance at getting back together with your Ex, would you take it?”
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Would you?” he shouted rising up onto his elbow to look his brother in the eye.
 
“She saw her Ex last night.”
 
“Would you?”
 
“And I take it that she tried to rekindle their relationship.”
 
“Would you?” Inuyasha demanded, raising to his feet and walking up to his brother so that they were nose to nose.
 
“You can't bring her back. What's done is done.”
 
“But what if I could? What if I could bring her back and we could be together like we used to be?”
 
“Your delusional,” Sesshomaru whispered. “Are you sick? Inuyasha, we are leaving for the games—”
 
“Damn the fucking games and answer my fucking question!”
 
“No! I wouldn't!” Sesshomaru shouted in his brother's face, watching as is remained hard as a stone and his eyes stayed filled with pain. “Everything happens for a reason, Inuaysha. Even her death.”
 
“She didn't deserve to die,” he whispered brokenly. “She never did anything to anyone.”
 
“I know Inuyasha. I know,” Sesshomaru whispered as he gathered his brother into his arms as Inuyasha's sobs shook both of their bodies. He ran a hand in large circles over his brothers back as he felt the tears hit his shoulder again, just like he had numerous times over the last four years. “I know. Sh…I know.”
 
“I know what I would do,” he gasped, “that's why I came here, and I don't know how I feel about it.”
 
 
***
 
 
Several Weeks Later
Airport
 
 
“God Kagome, what all did you pack?” Souta whined as he tried to pull the bag out of the trunk of their family's car. Kagome stood waiting…patiently… for her brother to hand over her bag, but right now it was clearly more entertaining to poke fun at all she had packed along rather then actually be helpful. And to think that he was coming with her and her parents to China.
 
“Oh…stop complaining Souta and just hand me my bag.”
 
“I mean it…what is in here?”
 
“Stuff that I will need!”
 
“Like what? Every animal that you could find on a safari? That will be very useful.”
 
“Ha ha. Not amused, now give me my bag.”
 
“I will if I can lift it out of the car.”
 
“Oh for the love of…”
 
“Here,” someone said from behind the two and lifted the bag out of the car with an unimaginable ease.
 
“Oh, thank you…Inuyasha?”
 
“Yup.” He replied, walking away from the pair with a large bag of his own and a relatively relaxed gait to the elevator that would take them from the underground garage into the upper floors of he airport.
 
Kagome ran after him in disbelief. She had not seen him since their date-gone-wrong, and she was worried about him. Sesshomaru had also been working her harder then usual, though she didn't know if that was because what had happened and he blamed her for how things went, or if it was because the games were rapidly approaching. He had a right to pin everything on her, but still. She was worried about Inuyasha. When he left, the look on his face…it had stayed with her since that night.
 
“What are you doing here?” she asked, confused by his sudden presence when she caught up to him.
 
“Well you see, there is this little sporting even coming up that I thought I would attend. It's called the Olympics…have you ever heard of it?”
 
“That is not what I meant.”
 
“Then what did you mean,” he asked rather tartly.
 
“I mean…what are you doing here with me?”
 
“Right now? Well, I am walking, and you decided to follow me.”
 
“You are such a wise ass.”
 
“And you'll never find another one quite like me,” he joked rather sarcastically, pushing the up button.
 
“Inuyasha…I think that we need to talk,” she whispered quietly as the doors opened and he walked in.
 
“I think that we don't. Later Kagome,” he replied sharply as he hit the door close button, and the number one.
 
As she watched the doors close ever so slowly, Kagome felt a little piece of her die inside, and somehow, she couldn't let things end like this, because as she watched those metal doors join at the seems, she knew that Inuyasha was more then just the annoyance that she saw whenever she had to practice. He was the guy that teased her and insulted her and understood her like no other would, and she wanted a real chance with him. One that she wouldn't screw up by longing to see Ex and jump at the chance to do so.
 
She jammed her arm in between the heavy doors, forcing them back open and ran inside, pressing the door close button.
 
“Are you insane? You could have broken your arm doing that. Then what would you do?”
 
“Inuyasha, shut the fuck up,” she told him as she grabbed his head between her hands and pulled him down for a kiss.
 
She was forceful, demanding, dominating, and she was not letting him get away as she ran her tongue over his lips, and then into his mouth, exploring him and playing with him at the same time. She moved her hands from the sides of his face to his hair and grabbed fistfuls of it. She moaned into him when she felt him begin to kiss her back, and soon she was the one that was dominated as she felt his tongue pressing back against hers. He teased her, explored her, and wagged war against her entire being. He pulled away from her when he heard the door open to the busy airport, and felt the air around them move as someone, or more then just one, person got in. She wasn't paying attention, and he didn't give a damn. He was wondering though what had caused her to do that.
 
“I want a second chance,” she told him as she panted and looked up into his eyes, searching them with her own to see what his reaction would be.
 
He took a deep breath and sighed as he ran a hand through his now messy short hair.
 
“Go to your family, Kagome,” he whispered as he pushed her back into the elevator.
 
“Inuyasha,” she whispered softly as she felt her eyes begin to burn.
 
“We'll talk once we are checked in. We have thirteen hours to settle our differences.”
 
The doors closed.
 
 
A/N: See? Not another six months. I want to get them out of the states, so I'm sorry if this feels a little rushed, but darn it, I want to get the show on the road!
 
I'm starting a new story and posting it online, but not at any of my normal places. I am posting it on one of my own personal sites (not giving up the address unless you contact me) and I will post it once I am well underway with it. I know…I am horrible for having so many stories going…
 
Thank you so much to everyone that has showed me support with this story and who has not given up hope with it! It means a lot to me. I did AR's for those who are members, so this AR is for someone who isn't. Much love to everyone!
 
To: volleygirl07  On: December 06, 2008 16:10 CST
Haha…yeah…life got hectic, but I came through with it! It just took a while :D. I am glad that you like this story and that you are keeping with it. Again…I am so sorry that it took this long to get it done and up…but I did it! never lose faith, cause I will come through! I always will. Thanks for the reviews, and keep reading!