InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Training Hearts ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I love the only Inuyasha related thing I own. My cute little chibi inu key-chain which lives out its happy life on my iPod making fashion statements everywhere (Ha! Take that Parris Hilton! You want something hot? Then look at my iPod cuz it's so cute and knows how to accessorize.)
 
 
Training Hearts
By: Lil6ter
 
 
 
"Are you ready?" He asked, hopefully.
 
"Yeah, let's go."
 
He took a deep breath, and opened the door for her as he walked her out to the car.  He had cleaned his car out the night before, vacuuming the interior, and spraying some Glade to freshen the inside. She probably would not notice, but he still wanted to make as good an impression as possible. He opened the door to the car for her, which clearly caught her by surprise given the eyebrow that shot up to her hairline.
 
"Thank you," she murmured as she got into the car. 
 
He gently closed the door, before walking around to his side of the car and getting in.
 
He watched her as she buckled herself into the car with the seatbelt, and proceeded to do so himself.  He put his keys into the ignition, and started the car.
 
Damn it…why the hell were his hands shaking like this? He gripped the wheel tighter, trying to get the tremors to ease up. It wasn't that big a deal…it was going to be just like the last official date he went on four years ago when he came back from Athens…right?
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter 4
 
 
 
“Fuck…I never wanted for you to have to eat somewhere like that Kagome. They're normally good,” Inuyasha said, running his fingers though his short silvery hair.
 
“What can you do?”
 
“Apologize?”
 
“If you apologize one more fucking time, you won't have anything left to make me your sex slave with.”
 
They had gone to the restaurant in a relatively optimistic mood. Inuyasha had claimed that they had good food and that she might like it, but man…did things ever work in the opposite direction. His stake was burnt and cold. Her fish was so under cooked it was still swimming and she received her wimpy salad halfway into the meal, and she somehow got his french-fries while he got her broccoli. Inuyasha got so pissed with how things were handled that he talked to the manager. She wasn't sure what he did, but they got a double fudge brownie alamode with even more hot fudge on it…which they shared…she still wasn't sure how she felt about that…and left without paying or tipping.
 
On the up side, Inuaysha had said, now he had more money to lavish her with cheesy stuffed animals.
 
He then drove over to the fair, which they had just gotten tickets for and were on the prowl for games that weren't rigged for once.
 
“Oh? So does that mean that you are going to reconsider my proposition?”
 
Hell no.”
 
“You wound me,” he joked, a smirk pulling at his lips, daring her to counter him and fight back his claim.
 
Stupid, smug, attractive, ass. Wait…his ass wasn't attractive…well…it was but…shit. Fucking basterd…no…not Sesshomaru…this fucking basterd. God Damn it! She needed to work on her pet names…
 
What the fuck? Pet names? When the hell did she start calling them pet names? They were just names to distinguish one pain in the ass form the other. There was the older brother: the basterd. Then there was Inuyasha, the smirking ass…wait…asshole. She still felt like that was an upgrade. Did he deserve an upgrade? Or was it really a down grade? No…up grade. It takes more effort to say asshole then just straight up ass.
 
“Not yet, but I will be soon enough.”
 
“I'm sorry…are you implying that you're a masochist?”
 
“Have you always been a perv?”
 
“Wouldn't you like to know.”
 
“Actually, no…probably not.”
 
“Must you be a fun sucker?”
 
“What the fuck? What the hell is a fun sucker?”
 
“Someone that sucks the fun outta everything. Damn woman, learn your lingo.”
 
Kagome stopped walking and stared at his back as he made his way over to the first booth. Did he…just…say…lingo?
 
Inuyasha is a world-class athlete, a hero of hers at times, and an ass, and he uses words like lingo? There is something fucked up with the world when an attractive twenty year old male uses the word lingo and it is the year 2008.
 
Inuyasha turned around to ask Kagome if she wanted anything from the forever-infamous baseball toss, only to see her standing three yards behind him with a very amusing Expression on her face. Words couldn't begin to describe her Expression, so he figured why waste brain cells on it. If he had brought a camera with him though, her Expression would have been on a memory card by now.
 
“Kagome?” he called out to her, startling her out of whatever the hell she was thinking of that gave her that Expression. “Are you gonna come with me or stand there all night?”
 
“And what are you gonna do if I wanna stand there all night?”
 
“Well, I know that that isn't true.”
 
“And why is that?”
 
“Oh, no big reason. Just the lil' fact that you walked over here on your own without the bribery of being my sex slave.”
 
“Would you stop saying that!”
 
“Nope. I like seeing your cheeks turn red. It is a very becoming look on you. I think that you should try that more often. What says you?”
 
“I `says' that you have a need to take a few words out of your vocabulary.”
 
“Ouch…I feel crushed…especially since this is coming from the woman that uses damn, hell, and fuck in almost every sentence. I like the last one a lot though…and what you can do with it…and where you can use it.”
 
“Fucking ass,” she grumbled.
 
“Only if you are doing the`fucking' as you so eloquently phrased it.”
 
“You know what? That doesn't even deserve a response.”
 
“Yet I just got one,” he smirked, enjoying the way her red face became an even darker red. “Now then, lets focus less on flirting with me and focus more on which animal you want me to win for you.”
 
Inuyasha swore that if he hadn't used the bathroom before leaving the restaurant, he would have emptied his bowels from the look on her face, and the absolutely sinister smile she gave him when she pointed at one of the animals.
 
“I want that one.”
 
Countless tickets later, Inuyasha and Kagome left the stands and made their way back to his car, arms overflowing with prizes.
 
“It wasn't that bad,” Kagome tried, only to get no reply.”
 
“Inuyasha?” she tried again, still receiving the silent treatment.
 
“Ok, so tonight wasn't your night…”
 
“Fucking hell! Not one bottle. Not even one!”
 
“Everyone has their off nights…”
 
“And not everyone has their girlfriend nock over all of the bottles. Every. Fucking. Time. I mean, what the fuck? Did you have to get all of them? Every time? I'm the one who's supposed to be winning these for you, not you, using my money, to get the animals for me!”
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome began softly, “Do you have any idea what you just said?”
 
“I said that you could have at least pretended that you weren't so damn good at that game. I do have some male pride that I would like to remain unwou—”
 
“No,” She broke in, cutting him off. “The part about me being your girlfriend.”
 
The way his eyes widened was comical, and the way he started sputtering, “Shit…I…fuck, no, I…damn it!” was almost worth what she had to bring up: almost.
 
“You do know that I am only doing this so that I'm not gonna be forced to be your sex slave for a month, right?” she teased weakly.
 
“Yeah, I know. I was just…talking about people in general. Not us.”
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“Forget I said it and let's just put these in the car, ok?”
 
She didn't mention his comment for the rest of the night.
 
“So, games are out,” Inuyasha said firmly, “so that leaves rides for…the nExt hour or so.”
 
“Why such a short time?”
 
“What…you thought that I was going to have us do nothing but this all night? Carnivals can be fun…but there are other things that are just as fun that we can do.”
 
“Like?”
 
“Now why would I tell you that?”
 
“`Cause I wanna know.”
 
“Overly impatient woman. I'll tell you this: the sky needs to be pitch black.”
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“Come on,” he said pulling her in the direction of a food stand. “I feel like having a funnel cake.”
 
“But what about the Games!” Kagome screeched. “You ate most of the fudge thing at dinner. Aren't you at least a little worried about your figure? I mean…it's not like you have a lot of ti—”
 
“Fuck, you sound like my brother.”
 
“Well, if he has been saying the same things, its true. It just goes to show that he—”
 
“Is being a pain in the ass! You have no idea what it is like to live with him! He is never a brother to me! He is my fucking coach twenty-four-fucking-seven!” Inuyasha shouted, causing several people to turn their head and stare at them and Kagome's eyes to widen.
 
“Look,” Inuyasha began, “I'm sorry for that, but…there is a lot of stuff in my life that you don't know about—won't know about. There is stuff in your life too I am sure that you don't want to tell me, so can we just…leave things at that?”
 
“Yeah,” Kagome whispered softly.
 
“Fuck,” Inuyasha sighed running his fingers through his hair. “I'm sorry Kagome. I am. But…please, don't push the issue. Forget about the funnel cake. Lets just go and find a ride, ok?”
 
“Yeah,” she whispered again, frustrating Inuyasha.
 
Inuyasha started walking off in the direction of the screams he heard from the roller coasters and felt Kagome following besides him. Suddenly, without warning, he found Kagome wrapped around him like climbing Ivy. Ironic. She was his poison ivy. She slid her hands into his hair and leaned in, looking deep into his eyes and his breath caught in his throat. He swore that he had never seen more beautiful eyes before in his life. Slowly, she tilted her head in and Inuyasha's eyes widened further. Was she going to kiss him? She had to kiss him, right? She was all over him. Her fingers were threaded in his hair. He could feel her breath on his face and…oh fuck, she was looking at his lips, and she was leaning it. Come on woman, just a bit further, you can do…
 
“Kagome!”
 
…Fucking hell?
 
“Hojo! Imagine seeing you here!”
 
“Hojo? Who the hell is this Kagome?”
 
“I would like to know the same thing,” said a woman standing nExt to the burnet male.
 
“Inuyasha, this is Hojo, my Ex.”
 
…WHAT THE FUCK?
 
“Hojo, this is my…boyfriend…Inuyasha.”
 
HELL YEAH!
 
“It is nice to see you with someone else, Kagome.”
 
“I couldn't agree more,” Inuyasha said, leaning down and capturing the lips that had been dangled before him like a fuzzy ball on the end of a string before a cat. Hojo thought that he had a chance of getting Kagome back? Not after he was done kissing her!
 
He moved his lips gently against Kagome's and closed his eyes, savoring the moment. Her lips were so soft. A baby's bottom was a horrible analogy in that moment, so he decided that analogies were over rated. I mean…who uses analogies on a day to day basis? English teachers? Well, he wasn't an English teacher. He was just a man kissing the woman of his dreams, quite literally, for the last year or so. Of course he had been wanting her for longer but…God…it was better then anything he had dreamed up. The only problem was that she wasn't kissing him back. Ok…so it was more then just a problem. Did that mean that he had gotten rusty as the years wore on? Or…oh, there we go, yeah, that's it…push back and move those lips and…Oh, Fucking, GOD. She was practically eating him. FUCK! She was sucking on his bottom lip. Damn woman…that drove him crazy… no…no…bad Kagome…don't pull away…no…don't take those baby butts away from me… fuck! Mood killer…Fine…take them.
 
Inuyasha looked over to an awkward looking Hojo and…who was she?
 
“And who might you be?”
 
“Mika, I believe,” Kagome told him. “Hojo's new girlfriend.”
 
Ouch…was that a bitter tone he detected in her voice? Didn't she just kiss her new boyfriend?
 
Wait…
 
He…
 
Wasn't her new boyfriend.
 
This was all a charade put on in front of a guy that broke her heart.
 
“Well, as much fun as it was to see you two—” Inuyasha began to try and sneak Kagome away from The Ex, until those fait full words were spoken:
 
“Mika and I were on our way to ride the faris wheel. Would you two like to join us?”
 
“Well…”
 
“Sure! Inuyasha and I were just about to go on some of the rides.”
 
“Actually, we were just on our way out,” Inuyasha said firmly.
 
“But you said…”
 
“Come on Kagome. Lots of things to do and so little time.”
 
“Oh…well…ok. Bye Hojo. Mika.”
 
“Kagome.”
 
Inuyasha grabbed her hand and began leading Kagome away from the pair when Mika ran after them.
 
“Inuyasha? As in Inuyasha Takashi?”
 
“Yeah,” he started slowly. “What of it?”
 
“Can you sign this for me? I couldn't place where I had seen you before for a second,” Mika pushed a pen and slip of paper into Inuyasha's palm, and he quickly wrote his name and a message before leaving with Kagome.
 
“What the hell was that all about?”
 
“She wanted an autograph.”
 
“I meant back there with Hojo.”
 
“I could be asking you the same thing,” he tartly replied.
 
“What?”
 
“Oh, Hojo! I would love to forget about the person I am with right now to ride the faris wheel!” Inuyasha imitated in a high-pitched voice. “Maybe we can send Mika and Inuyasha out to the car! I mean really, why do I need to go on a faris wheel ride with the man I am calling my boyfriend to make you jealous with? Maybe if we can keep your girlfriend, and my boyfriend occupied, we can make out on the ride! And then when your holding me in your arms, you can tell me how much you love me and how much you want me back and…”
 
“Shut the hell up! I was nothing like that!”
 
“You were! Damnit Kagome! Do you have any idea how insulting it is to have your date see her Ex, and then insist on going on a ride like the faris wheel with the Ex? You might as well just go into a fucking love tunnel or something with him!”
 
“I am not going to—”
 
“You would if you had the chance.”
 
“So what if I would? Inuyasha, we aren't together—”
 
“And yet somehow you manage to kiss me as if we were!”
 
“You kissed me!”
 
“And you kissed back!”
 
“You still kissed me first you basterd!”
 
“Oh, real mature Kagome. Real mature. You were wrapped around me, practically inhaling me just to get back at him! Fuck woman…can't you think of anyone other then yourself?”
 
“Ok,” Kagome tried to say calmly, “so maybe what I did was childish, but tell me this: if you had a chance at getting back together with your Ex, would you take it?”
 
The look on Inuyasha's face made it seem as if she had just slapped him across the cheek.
 
“I can't believe you just said that.”
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
“No. I…fuck…I'm taking you home.”
 
“What?”
 
“Don't you dare `what' me. How could you just…no. You know what, I'm the adult here. I'm taking you home.”
 
“But we didn't even…”
 
“I don't give a damn. I knew that you hated me Kagome, but this…I thought that this was below you.”
 
“But…”
 
“Shut up. I don't want to hear another thing out of you.”
 
“You know I won't stay quite.”
 
“You know what? I don't give a damn what you do any more.”
 
Inuyasha opened the door for Kagome and slammed it shut, getting into his side as well. He flipped on a the cd player as he drove, Evan's Blue blaring through the speakers. Over. Ironic. The song that was playing would be Over. He found himself grinding out the lyrics behind his teeth, a bitter, bile like sound ripping itself from his throat.
 
“You better crawl on your knees
then next time you say, that you love me
fall on your knees, `cause this time I won't be so kind
can't you see that this is life and life is killing me
is it yours? is it mine?
our sky fell down tonight, to wash away our pain.”
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome whispered.
 
“Please, just shut…shut up Kagome. Can't you at least respect me enough to do that?”
 
 
“Can't you see that this is death and death is saving me
I say burn all your bridges while you still have control of the flame
I know it's hard but you...

tell me, over and over and over and over and over again
it never was time for us, it never was time to let me…”
 
There was something wrong with the car. Inuyasha pulled off to he side of the road and turned on his emergency signal.
 
“Inuyasha?”
 
“Stay quite.”
 
“What's wrong?”
 
He didn't reply. He got out of the car and went around to check the tires. Just as he thought. A flat.
 
“Get out of the car Kagome.”
 
She did as he asked and watched in confusion as he walked around to the truck and took out a jack, wrench, and a spare tire.
 
He loosened the nuts in a crisscross pattern before lifting the car up with the jack. He took the wrench and put it on one of the nuts before stepping down on it, loosening it completely. He removed the tire, put on the spare that was good for fifty mile or so, loosely put on the nuts, then lowered the car and tightened them. Kagome was surprised that he knew how to do all that, but it took him about five minutes or so in all.
 
“Should I get back in?” Kagome asked as he put his tools away.
 
“No…I'm such a bad date that I'm going to make you walk home,” he replied sarcastically.
 
“Can't we at least talk about this?”
 
“We did. I think I got a good enough answer.”
 
She was silent then as he started the car again, with her inside, and drove toward her home. When they got there, he parked the car and unlocked it, waiting for her to get out so he could go home and forget about this horror of a date.
 
“Don't you at least want to know why I went out with you?”
 
“No. There is nothing new that you could tell me. I have heard it all already.”
 
She sat there for a few more minutes, and she could feel him starting to get impatient.
 
“What else,” she softly asked, “What else were we going to do?”
 
Inuyasha sighed and leaned back in his seat, leaning his head back.
 
“There is this nice little drive in theater not too far from the fair. It's not well heard of, but they were playing twenty-seven dresses. I heard you saying that you wanted to see that, so I thought that we could go there. Then when that was over with, it wouldn't have been too late, so I was thinking we could drive over to the beach. Maybe walk on it some. Bask in the glory of having won the animals for you,” he told her, clearly having slipped into his own little world where Hojos didn't exist. “You would start to lean into me, complaining that you felt cold and I would wrap my arms around you to keep you warm. We would sit down for a while, stare at the waves for a bit. Kiss you. Then I would take you home, walk you to your door. Tell you how good a night I had and you would in your shy and bold way kiss me good night and go inside, to tell your friends what had happened. How perfect it had been, and how you wanted to do it all over again.”
 
She was silent for a moment before her wavering voice asked, “Then why can't we? Why can't we do it all?”
 
“Because now I know the truth about you. Now get out.” She slowly opened the door to the car, animals loading her arms down. She was about to close the door when she made a split second decision to give him the biggest one: a white dog with golden eyes. They had spent the most time trying to get it. She had wanted it at the time because it reminded her of him.
 
“Good night, Inuyasha.”
 
It stung a little to not have him acknowledge her, and it stung even more when he drove off without waiting to see if she made it in.
 
God…she messed up.
 
She unlocked the door, and immediately, her friends and mother knew that something was wrong. It wasn't until the door closed that she let the tears fall.
 
 
A/N: OMG! I DID IT! I know…It took me forever…but I have been thinking about this story for a long time, and I have been feeling very nostalgic lately. I wrote this in about 2-3 hours yesterday, all in one sitting, and I wanted to get this up ASAP, so no AR's. I will do them though!!!
 
I know…what went wrong with that date??? It wasn't gonna go that way went I first had it mentally planed…whoops? I just wanted for the date to go wrong, and then have it be a lovey-dovey ending. I think I like this more though (DON'T KILL ME!)
 
Thank you to everyone that has showed support so far! I love it! I crave it! I DEMAND MORE OF IT!
 
I am in the mood to write more of this, so I am gone finish up my homework and then hop to!