InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Transfer Student Inuyasha! ❯ An Arrow Through My Heart Part 2 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Transfer Student Inuyasha!

Chapter 10: An Arrow Through My Heart Part 2

The alarm clock went off in Kagome's room. Inuyasha jumped up from his sleeping position against her door, and grabbed it.

"Inuyasha, just press the button on the top!" Inuyasha looked puzzled, but did as she said. It stopped the noise! What a strange little magic box. He wondered why anyone would submit themselves to this tormenting sound.

Kagome noticed that Inuyasha had slept in her room again. Why had he been doing that recently? Had he sensed that she was in danger or something? No, he would have told her if she was. She stretched her cramped muscles before shoving Inuyasha out the door. She changed quickly and got ready for school. Even though she now had confidence, she still dreaded the contest after school. Was there someway she could get out of Hojo's bet? Maybe she could just give him a kiss on the cheek?

Inuyasha changed out of his jeans and into his school clothes, deep in thought. Why had he been sleeping in Kagome's room? Aside from the fact that he like being near her, he felt like something was..wrong. He shook off the feeling and joined Kagome in the hallway before leaping the stairs.

Inuyasha and Kagome both couldn't concentrate at school, although they were thinking of completely different things. Three times, different teachers told them to pay attention in class. Inuyasha was still pondering his strange actions towards Kagome, and Kagome was still worried about Hojo.

In gym, Inuyasha forgot to be better than the other students, and, deep in thought, he was last off the running track.

Kagome sighed. The school day was almost over! Hojo had avoided her all day, which was a change. She enjoyed that, but detested the reason why he was avoiding her. The days were growing cold, and pretty soon, the gym class would resume inside.

When the final bell rang, Kagome dashed into the hall in an effort to avoid Inuyasha before the contest. He would only make her feel worse about "her" deal with Hojo. Unfortunately, she tripped in her hast and went crashing down onto the hard floor. Inuyasha came from behind her and helped her up. He looked at her searchingly, looking for any injuries.

"Are you alright?"

Kagome just nodded and walked away from him. He caught her hand before she could leave, and pulled her back to him. His eyes burned into hers while he hugged her close. "You're going to do fine Kagome. Please believe that."

Kagome looked over his shoulder to see if anyone was watching. Hojo wasn't around again, and aside from that, there weren't any people staring. While no one was watching, she hugged him back fiercely.

Kagome gathered her bow and headed towards the competition. Inuyasha led trailed her, still not knowing everything about this school, including where the archery took place. When they reached the outdoor practice area, she was startled to see it was full of competitors! Not all of them were from her school, either. Maybe she should have read the invitation a little bit more closely.

In the far corner, Hojo was sitting under a cherry tree with his friends, laughing. Kagome decided to stay away from that corner. Unfortunately, right before the contest started, Hojo came to her. Inuyasha was a little ways off, surveying the others in the contest. Hojo ditched his fans, and ran to Kagome. Before she could walk away, he grabbed her hand.

"Kagome, thank you for making this bet with me." Gods, he really was clueless. "I wish you the best of luck, and I expect to play you at your best. Just don't forget about our bet. I'll talk to you after the contest!" With that, he walked away.

Inuyasha didn't like it. He had heard most of Kagome's conversation with Hojo, and he decided that something was going on between them. What bet had Kagome made with Hojo? Why was he holding her hand? Inuyasha decided he would stick to her like glue and make sure that Hojo didn't try anything.

"Ladies and gentlemen! May I have your attention?" An older man with a magic ball on a stick was talking. It looked kind of like "ice cream" but it made his voice louder. "All the contestants have been paired up. Each pair will go to a target and take turns shooting 3 arrows. That's 3 arrows each." The man held up a piece of paper that held everyone's names. "These are the pairings. For each round, the pairings will depend on who is eliminated."

Kagome followed the rush to the piece of paper, hoping she wasn't paired with Hojo. When she reached the list, she blew out an anxious breath. She was paired with someone named Tysagi for the first round. She saw a lovely, young girl tracing the name Tysagi and checking who was paired with her. Kagome reached out and tapped the girl on the shoulder. They left the mob of contestants.

"Are you Tysagi?" At the girls nod, Kagome continued. "I'm Kagome, you're pair. Good luck in the contest!" Kagome offered her hand.

"Thank you. May the best archer win."

The pair went towards the marked line where all the contestants would shoot from. Kagome was surprised to note that the distance was far shorter than she had been used to. As she waited, she glanced around the field. On her near left, Inuyasha flashed her a smile. Kagome smiled back, but she didn't feel all that happy.

When the man said to start, Kagome asked Tysagi is she wanted to go first. She did. Her first arrow hit the ring outside the bulls eye, her second hit the bulls eye, and her third hit the outside of the target. Kagome stepped up for her turn. She prayed for luck, and then sent her first, second, and third arrows straight into the center of the target.

"Wow, you're good. I hope you win." Tysagi was being a good sport for just losing.

The contest continued. For every challenger, Kagome shot three arrows into the center, or near center. Finally, it was just she and Hojo left.

Inuyasha was enjoying the respectful looks his Kagome was getting. He knew she would win. After a while, he started watching Hojo. Hojo was also very good. He looked to be about the same as Kagome. He still had faith, though.

"Well, this is it Kagome."

"Hojo, let's just shoot, ok?"

Hojo shrugged. Then they decided that they would take turns shooting to make it fairer. Kagome went first. Her arrow bit deep into the targets center. Someone came and retrieved the arrow, so he could aim at the center also. His arrow followed Kagome's example, but was just a bit more centered. She grimly shot her second arrow. It went into the same spot as his.

Inuyasha held his breath. Both of them were hitting the center! If only there was some way he could help, but Kagome had warned him not to help her earlier.

After Kagome had shot all three arrows into the center, she waited for Hojo. He seemed to move in slow motion as he pulled the string back, and with a sharp twang let it fly. It was dead on target, but at the last second a small breeze picked up. The arrow was off center! After the judges examined the marks, she was told she was the winner!

Inuyasha laughed at Hojo's surprised expression. Thank the gods, Kagome had won! He was about to run over to her when he saw Hojo pulling Kagome away. Inuyasha stealthily followed. Hojo pulled Kagome inside the school and into a classroom. Inuyasha watched from the hallway.

"Kagome, congratulations!" Then he leaned forward and gave her a small kiss on the lips. She saw Inuyasha's startled look out of the corner of her eye and pulled away from Hojo.

"Inuyasha! Wait!" Inuyasha ran outside and down the street, too quickly to hear the resounding slap the confused Hojo received.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Well, doesn't that make your blood boil??? Sorry to leave you at a cliffhanger like this. Can't talk long, see you in the next chapter!

~Isuki-chan