InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Transfer Student Inuyasha! ❯ Posing the Question ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Transfer Student Inuyasha!

Chapter 26: Posing The Question

Autumn had just changed to winter and Kagome was becoming more and more excited about the upcoming dance. Woken up early from the rising sun, she had lapsed into thought. She had a tiny thread of hope that someone would ask her to the dance, even if it weren't Inuyasha. She just loved being able to dance all your worries away, and didn't much care who she was dancing with. Although, she thought, it WOULD be nice if Inuyasha went with her. She gave a small giggle; there wasn't much chance that a stubborn hanyou like him would actually take the time to learn how to dance.

A few minutes later, a drowsy hanyou was thinking almost the same. Although, in his case, he knew who he would be dancing with. Excitement coursed through his demon veins as he imagined Kagome's pleased face. He would just have to make sure that nothing went wrong. The more he thought about the dance, the more fascinated he became with this strange human ritual. When he got back home, maybe he would spread "dancing" to his world.

The day passed quickly, although one point of Inuyasha's day lagged considerably. The only subject that Inuyasha couldn't understand was French. He was told that he had to memorize different ways to say words. What was the point? Kagome had told him that there was a place called "France" where people spoke "French" instead of normal Japanese.

Today, Inuyasha had his first French test. He hadn't memorized a lot of the criteria and didn't have the time to think about the rest. Well, he thought, might as well get this over with. He was concentrating on the dance that was on Friday. Today was Wednesday. When the teacher handed him his test sheet, Inuyasha was startled. He knew he would fail, but didn't care all that much. It was just some stupid thing that he would never use.

Placing his name at the top of the paper, Inuyasha began. The first question was, "How do you ask how someone is doing, in French." Beneath it were four possible answers. Stumped, Inuyasha let his eyes wander around the room. At the front of the classroom, his teacher was doing something with paper. He focused on the paper labeled "Answer Key". It was at just the right angle that his eyes could make out the answers. Congratulating himself for this impertinent solution, he copied down the answers. When he left the class, he was feeling cocky.

In dance lessons that day, Inuyasha improved by leaps and bounds. Mrs. Higurashi improved on his "slow dance" which, he was told, was a favorite with boys and girls who cared about each other. Inuyasha surrendered himself to the dance, allowing his longing for Kagome to take over. When he opened his eyes, he saw Mrs. Higurashi staring at him, jaw opened.

"Did I do it wrong?" Had he stumbled or stepped on her foot? He hadn't been paying attention.

"No, you did it perfectly! In fact, you're the best slow dancer I've ever seen!"

Inuyasha nearly glowed with pride. If only Kagome could see. Better yet, he told himself, she will feel it. When he danced with her, everything would be perfect and no one would get in their way, he promised to the sky. Just wait and see.

Kagome was becoming depressed as the day wore on. No one seemed interested in the dance when she was around. If she brought it up, all the guys would look away. Was something wrong with her? Experimentally, she had approached Hojo. His reaction was the same as all the others. What was going on?

Inuyasha mentally gave himself a pat on the back. He had spread a rumor around the school that Kagome had found a date for the dance already. Naturally, Hojo had avoided him, guessing that Inuyasha was Kagome's date. Well, Inuyasha thought, you were right on that one Hojo.

Mrs. Higurashi helped him master each type of dances. By Thursday, Inuyasha had become a master of dancing, and was bursting to show Kagome his acquired skill. He had almost started dancing in the hallway in school.

In French, his teacher handed him back his graded test and, surprise, it was a perfect score. After class, his teacher approached him at the door.

"Inuyasha, your test score was amazing for a transfer student! How did you learn so much in so little time? I was expecting to see a low grade, and when I saw your test I rechecked it three times!"

Inuyasha just smirked at the befuddled man. Maybe French wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. He had heard that French was the "romance language". Some students had said that it was used to impress girls, although Inuyasha couldn't see how. Oh well, maybe he should memorize it from now on, just in case.

Kagome found herself drawn to Inuyasha lately. Did he even know there was a dance, or what it was? Maybe she should explain it to him? No, it was too late now. He would insist on learning how to dance, and there wasn't enough time. If only she had thought of this sooner. Lately, Inuyasha had been avoiding the subject whenever she brought it up. What was wrong with him? The last time she had pointed out one of the colorful banners that announced the Winter Dance, he had only given her a confused expression and walked away. Well, she couldn't blame him. He was a hanyou, after all. Then, something strange happened.

"Kagome, can I ask you something?" Inuyasha pulled her over in the hall at the end of the day. Most of the other students were already in class.

"Sure, what is it?" Her heart started to leap for no reason. What was going on?

"I, er, would you……" He seemed to be staling. "Wouldyougotothedancewithme?"

Kagome took a second to process this. Inuyasha had just asked her to the dance? Surprising herself, she replied, "Yes, I'd love to."

Inuyasha smiled, then ran off to class.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Yay, I found the time to write a chapter! Hey, I just finished the whole Inuyasha series! Hiaku, Sere-chan, and I got together and watched the last part. Then we watched the movie. Both my friends bought the whole series and the movie, although I had no money. **Sob** Well, here's to Inuyasha!

Ah and what was meant by "I have seen the fic that's similar to yours"? I know there are many out there with the same idea, but which is it? I'm curious.^-^

~Isuki-chan