InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tree Messaging ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry for the delay. High school tends to do that. Please review.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
 
Chapter 3
 
 
Kagome stared at the man in front of her. “W-who are you?” Ok, recap. She had somehow been transported to a winter wasteland. This place seemed oddly familiar though she had never been here before. On top of that, a dog-eared man was only a few meters away from her and he apparently knew her.
 
`Kagome, you have got to lay off of those late night ramen runs.'
 
Inuyasha stood up and looked right at her. His golden eyes bore into her soul. Oh how she wished he would look at something else.
 
“Name's Inuyasha.”
 
“Inuyasha… Wait, I know that name,” he felt his pride swell. “You're the hanyou from the Shikon jewel legend,” then he felt it deflate into nothing.
 
“Yeah, I'm the hanyou from the stupid legend. So, what's wrong?”
 
“What do you mean what's wrong?”
 
“You always seem to come here for every little problem you have. I shouldn't complain though, it's nice to have someone else here besides the tree.”
 
“You're alone?”
 
“What do you expect, I've been stuck in this damn tree for over five centuries!” he retorted.
 
“Well, sorry. Give me a break; its almost three in the morning, I'm tired, and I have school on the morning!” His eyes softened as she began to sway. When she started to fall, he jumped up and caught her.
 
“If you're that tired, why aren't you in bed wench?”
 
“I wasn't tired when I came out here. Heck, I was anything but. And my name is not wench.”
 
He smiled down at her, “Then what is it?”
 
“It's Kagome...” It was the last thing she said before she fell asleep.
 
~*~
 
The sun shone through the leaves right into her eyes. Kagome wondered what time it was. It should be about for school soon, meaning she would have to get out of bed.
 
She rolled her shoulders back, but instead of feeling her plush mattress, she felt hard bark. Her eyes shot open and she turned backwards only to see the tree.
 
Must have fallen asleep out here I should get inside and get ready for school. She raised her arms over her head and yawned. What she failed to notice was the red cloth fall from her shoulders and then disappear.
 
Today seems like its going to be a long day... She got up and stretched. Man, sleeping under a tree is not good for the back.
 
Kagome ran inside of the house. While climbing the stairs, she bumped into her mother.
 
“Kagome, where have you been? I've been worried about you.”
 
Kagome sighed, “Mom, I'm ok. I just fell asleep outside under Goshinboku.”
 
Her mother gave her a stern look, “And what exactly were you doing out there young lady?”
 
She countered her mother's gaze with her own stubborn one. “I was meditating, what else? Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to get ready for school.” She pushed past her mother and continued her way up the stairs.
 
Geez, does she always have to interrogate me about every little thing? Well, she was worried…but she didn't have to ask me as if I did something bad. Like many of her other relationships, the one between herself and her mother was steadily going down hill. It had started on her 15th birthday when her mother had found her in the well house looking for Buyo. She had thought Kagome was trying to skip school. The girl had explained that if she were trying to skip school, she wouldn't be hiding within the shrine. Her mother had become suspicious of the comment and had questioned her about everything since.
 
She looked at her school uniform and sighed. It had been about two months since she had started high school. Her new uniform had a slightly longer skirt, she was in high school after all, and was a navy blue instead of green like her middle school's.
 
All of her friends, including Hojo, had ended up in the same school as her. Yuka and Eri were still after her to date Hojo, with him being as naive as ever. He would come up to her, ask her if she was busy over the weekend, if not, if she would do something with him, then walk away before she could give him an answer. Well, at least he just asked...
 
“Hey Kagome, your boyfriend's here!” shouted Souta from downstairs.
 
Kagome came out of her room fully dressed and stomped down the stairs. “How many times do I have to tell you, squirt? He's not my boyfriend!”
 
She walked into the kitchen with her brother at her heels. Mrs. Higurashi places three breakfast dishes on the table.
 
“Then why does he always ask you out?”
 
“Souta, you know the guy's a pervert. He'd ask a tree out as long as he got something in the end.” At her brother's confused look, she added, “I'll explain when you're older.
 
She looked down at the table and asked, “Why are there only three spots? Is Ji-chan ok?”
 
“Oh, he's fine. He's outside with Yasuo. Said he wanted to clean out the old store house,” Mrs. Higurashi answered from her place at the stove.
 
Kagome sat down with a sigh and began to eat. Tadao Yasuo was a shrine hand her grandfather had recently hired. The guy came form a long line of Buddhist monks. As a part of some enlightenment program, he had to work at a local shrine. Of course, that lecher just had to choose their shrine.
 
Yasuo took every chance he got to ask a pretty girl out. At first glance, there would be absolutely no reason to say `no'. He was tall with handsome dark blue eyes. His dark hair was tied back into a small ponytail at the base of his neck. Just his voice alone would send shivers down your spine. In short, this guy was a Japanese Romeo.
 
With any pretty boy, there is always a catch. Whenever a girl would agree to go out with him…he had a slight tendency to grab their rear end.
 
Kagome usually ran into him everyday coming home from school. And everyday, she would usually beat him off with a stick. Though, once you got past his pervertedness, he could be a good friend.
 
Might as well get this over with, she thought to herself. She got up and placed her now empty dishes in the sink.
 
“Bye guys see you later,” she yelled as she grabbed her books and shoes before going out the door.
 
She stuck her head around the side of the house so she could see the shrine. She didn't see anything but the buildings and concrete. So far so good, maybe if I run to the stairs, I can avoid that pervert all together.
 
She sprinted across the shrine. She was almost there, all she had to do was pass Goshinboku and she'd be safe.
 
“Kagome-san, hold a second please!”
 
Oh please be Hojo-kun...'The school girl's prayer wasn't heeded though as she turned around and saw a young man in monk robes.
 
“What is it Yasuo-kun?” She had a sinking suspicion of what was coming next, and she was not looking forward to it.
 
He stepped up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. “I was wondering if you were doing anything this weekend. A lovely lady such as yourself deserves a night off. What do you say to dinner and a movie?” She suddenly felt a presence on her butt. Kagome curled her hand into a fist and imbedded it in his face.
 
“Do I look like a piece of fruit to you, monk?” he shook his head, “Then keep your damn hands off me, you pervert! Next time, you might not have any teeth left to have dinner with!”
 
She stormed off to the stairs and the bustling streets below. Today was going to be a long day.
 
The streets were crowded as usual. It took about half an hour for her to get to school; giving her enough time to think about the 'dream' she had that morning.
 
He seemed so real. Was he really the hanyou from legend? Maybe I should sleep under Goshinboku more often.
 
About half a block away from her school, Kagome's musings were interrupted by her three friends.
 
"Kagome-chan, you're not going to believe what happened!" Eri squealed.
 
"Yea Kagome-chan, you'd better get a hold of Hojo-kun fast or he'll be gone forever," Yuka sighed.
 
Kagome looked over to Ayumi who had yet to say anything, "Care to explain what these two are talking about?"
 
"A new girl just transferred into our class here from Kyoto. The rumor is that Hojo-kun has his eyes on her," she shrugged, "That's pretty much it."
 
Both Yuka and Eri whipped around and glared at Ayumi. "Are you blind Ayumi-chan? Our poor Kagome-chan has found herself in a love triangle!" exclaimed Yuka.
 
"But don't I have to have feelings for Hojo-kun in order to be in a love triangle? Besides, it's just a rumor."
 
Eri placed a hand on Kagome's shoulder. "Don't worry Kagome-chan. You've been seeing Hojo-kun longer than this new girl has. You're already up one point."
 
"They say true love always prevails. Win Hojo-kun back Kagome-chan!"
 
The school bell rang, signifying the start of school. "Well guys, I need to go grab my books. See you in class," Kagome grabbed Ayumi's arm and dragged her into the school.
 
~*~
 
"I still don't know why those two believe I like Hojo-kun! Ok, maybe a small crush in the third grade, but that's it!" Kagome threw her books into her locker and grabbed the ones needed for she'd need for first bell.
 
"Yea I know. They think I like Sasuke from C class just because I said hi to him the other day. Those two really need to lay off of the romance stories." Ayumi's locker was right next to Kagome's, so they always talked between classes. Of all of her friends, she and Ayumi were the closest.
 
"So, what do you know about this new girl?"
 
"Only what I already told you. That's what Yuka-chan and Eri-chan were told by Amaya, and you saw how they reacted."
 
"Amaya from our class?"
 
Ayumi nodded, "I think she just made the rumor up hoping that you would break up with Hojo, making him wide open for her."
 
"She can have him. You want to know how he's been asking me out lately? He'll ask, and then leave right before I give my answer. It's like he sees the 'no' coming."
 
"Well, you have turned him down every time since junior high..."
 
"You think a guy would get the hint. Not. Interested."
 
“It's called wishful thinking, and Hojo-kun has a whole lot of that.”
 
The bell rang again, telling the students that class was about to start.
 
"Well, time to meet the new girl."
 
~*~
 
"Good morning class," the teacher said as he entered the class room. Their first class was Biology, one of the most boring subjects in the whole school. Yet it was the only class almost filled to capacity, the reason being the teacher was a total hunk.
 
He was tall with his dark brown hair framing his sharp face. His ice blue gaze would melt almost any girl in the class, except Kagome. To her, Biology class was just another thing Yuka and Eri dragged her into.
 
Everyone in the room stood up and bowed, "Good morning Giman-sensai."
 
Giman looked at his plan book, "I see we have a new student with us. Why don't you come in and introduce yourself?" A girl stepped into the room and walked up next to the teacher. As she turned around to face the class, Kagome saw she had chestnut eyes to match her chestnut hair that was tied into a low ponytail.
 
"Hello, my name is Isamu Taiko. My family and I have just transferred here from Kyoto. It's nice to meet you all." She bowed to the class.
 
“Isamu-jou, there's an empty seat next to Higurashi-jou. Why don't you sit there?” he pointed towards Kagome.
 
"Thank you, sensai." Taiko walked over to her newly assigned seat.
 
"Alright, since that's over, let's get back to business," he turned on the projector. On the screen hanging from the wall, a green blob appeared. "Today we'll talk about the ameba. Now the ameba is..."
 
The whole class seemed to sigh. It didn't matter if the teacher was a hunk, the class was still boring. By the time the teacher got to the most interesting part of his ameba lesson, half of the class was asleep.
 
"The ameba reproduces asexually, meaning that..."
 
Kagome was about to drift off to sleep herself when a folded piece of paper landed on her desk. She looked down at it, confused. No one sitting around her would consider talking to her, unless...
 
She looked over to Taiko, who waved and smiled shyly. Kagome unfolded the paper and read:
 
Is Biology always like this?
 
Kagome looked up to the teacher to see him caught up in his lecture. Writing notes in class was against the rules, but frankly, what wasn't? Besides, it should be a crime for a class to be this boring. A little note passing wouldn't hurt anyone.
 
She wrote down her response quickly and handed the paper back.
 
Sadly yes. It's a great time to study or do homework for another class though.
 
About a minute later, Taiko passed her note over.
 
But won't that make it harder to understand this class? I'm already having a hard time with what Giman-sensai is saying.
 
Don't worry. Everything he covers is in the book. Read the chapter over before the test and you'll be ok.
 
Thanks. By the way, what's your name?
 
It's Kagome. You're Taiko, right?
 
Yes, it's nice to meet you Kagome.
 
It's nice to meet you too, Taiko. You don't know anyone here, do you?
 
No, my family just transferred here from Kyoto. Tokyo is like a huge concrete maze to me. Give me a few years and I'll have it figured out.
 
Why don't I show you around the city after school? It'll be faster plus we could grab something to eat.
 
Sounds fun. Thanks Kagome.
 
So, what other classes do you have?
 
~*~
 
"Kagome-chan, where are we going?"
 
"I need to get something from my house, then we'll get started Taiko-chan." They've known each other for less than a day, yet it seemed like they were old friends. In school, they had talked about the classes Taiko had. They had both been happy when they found out their schedules matched perfectly.
 
They arrived at the shrine steps, "Man, I'd hate to live here."
 
Kagome turned around and looked at Taiko, "Why? What's wrong with it?"
 
"Nothing's wrong with the actual shrine, but I just can't imagine climbing all of those stairs multiple times a day."
 
Kagome laughed a little, "You gat used to it after awhile. Now c'mon, I want to show you the best places to shop are." She started to climb the steps.
 
"Wait, you live here?"
 
Kagome turned around, "Yeah, my family owns the shrine."
 
"Oh, uh..."
 
"Its ok, I hate these stairs anyway. Now would you get your butt up here so we can get moving?" Kagome asked her playfully.
 
She continued up the stairs and was soon followed by Taiko. When they reached the top, the first thing Taiko saw was the cute guy in monk robes.
 
"Who's that cute guy over there?" she pointed over at Yasuo.
 
"Oh, that's just Yasuo-kun. He helps around the shrine once in awhile. I got to warn you though, he may look like Romeo, but he's a total pervert."
 
"Could you still introduce us though? Someone with a face like that can't be all bad."
 
"Ok, just don't say I didn't warn you." Kagome waved at the young priest, "Hey, Yasuo-kun, could you come over here for a second?"
 
"Why, good afternoon Kagome-san. Who is your lovely friend here?" Taiko began to blush.
 
"This is Taiko-chan, a new girl from Kyoto. Listen, I have to grab something from my room. Could you show her around the shrine until I get back?"
 
"Kagome-san, it would be an honor to show such a beautiful young woman around." It now seemed impossible for Taiko's face to get any redder.
 
"Thank you, and Yasuo-kun; no funny business or you'll answer to me." With that, Kagome headed for her house. As she passed Goshinboku, she paused. The tree was glowing.
 
Ok, sacred tree is glowing. This can't be good. She climbed over the small fence and placed a hand on the tree.
 
For the second time, Kagome was transported to the winter wasteland.
 
I have got to remember to stop touching the tree. Life is hard enough with high school; I don't need to add a sealed hanyou to the mix! She knelt down into the snow, but quickly scrambled back up.
 
Short skirt + snow = freezing legs! Man this stuff chills you right to the bone.
 
"I don't care what you think. I won't do it!"
 
Kagome looked up and saw a familiar silver-haired hanyou with a scowl on his face standing at the base of the tree.
 
"There has to be another way. I refuse to do that!"
 
She looked around and saw no one else there. Who was her talking to? And who was he talking about?