InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tree Messaging ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha.
 
Thanks again to my beta, kokoronagomu.
 
Yet again, please review.
 
 
 
Chapter 7
 
 
Kagome didn't know where she was running, only she had to get away from that...thing. It was her fault that it was here in the first place. That thing wanted something from her; why else did it drag her down the old well?
 
She jumped into the rice fields outside the village towards the glowing forest. The creature was right on her heels, trying to grab her every chance it got with those huge, dripping fangs. Well, of course it would be fast; it had like eighty-bajillion legs.
 
Her home in modern day Tokyo seemed like an eternity ago. Her family, would she ever see them again? No, she couldn't think like that. She could do this, but where were those villagers?
 
"GIVE ME THE JEWEL!!" the centipede screeched from behind her. It lashed at her again and Kagome just dodged it.
 
"Someone, please help me!" she cried out. The villagers were still a ways behind her. She was on her own. Kagome ran up the slope into the forest. The top of Goshinboku could be seen above the other trees. She was almost at the well.
 
D-KOOM!!
 
The whole forest seemed to pulsate. Before Kagome could think much of it, the centipede youkai leapt over her, forcing her to the ground. Its long body flowed over her and into the darkness of the surrounding trees, out of sight.
 
"Why waste time on second-rates like that bug? Just do her like you did me."
 
Kagome looked up from her kneeling position to see a familiar hanyou pinned to Goshinboku.
 
"InuYasha...?
 
 
~*~
 
 
"What did you say girl?"
 
Kagome's eyes cracked opened. She couldn't see anything but this bright light all around her. Her head felt like it was about to split in two and she ached all over. Was it even possible for your scalp to hurt?
 
She tried to sit up, but was pushed back down by a strong hand. Her eyes were beginning to adjust to the light and she saw a pair of golden eyes stare at her.
 
"Inuyasha...?"
 
"How do you know that half-breed's name?"
 
Kagome's eyes fully adjusted and she saw that the person over her wasn't Inuyasha, but a stranger. First of all, his eyes were much, much colder than Inuyasha's molten ones. His face was longer and had weird tattoos on it. He had a purple crescent moon on his forehead, two magenta stripes on both cheeks and what looked like matching eye shadow.
 
"KYAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Kagome screamed and winced away from the strange man as he was thrown across the room. He hit the opposite wall with a loud thud and slid down to the floor. A woman dressed in white with blue hair rushed over to him and helped him up. As the woman turned around, Kagome saw she had a very long nose, and her skin almost looked like feathers. She then noticed a pinkish tint had now been added to the white room.
 
"Settle down, miko. We do not mean you any harm." He stood up straight and brushed off his suit jacket, then walked back over to her, but stayed well away from the pink bubble that had formed around her.
 
"W-who are you? What d-do you want?" The man pulled a nearby chair over to the bed that Kagome was laying on and sat down.
 
"Hn, you must be seeing my true self. I am Ninku Sessho, but you know me better as Ninku-san," was his blunt answer.
 
"Ninku-san, as in the school's headmaster? You're y-youkai?!"
 
The nurse walked over and sat down at the edge of the bed with a cup of water and some over the counter medication in her hands, "Many of us are youkai, darling, but we don't mean you any harm. Could you take down your barrier? I want to make sure your neck is alright."
 
"My neck?" Kagome's hand reached up and felt the rough material of bandages there. Her eyes widened in realization,
 
"Giman-sensai..."
 
"What was that? Who did that to you?" Sesshomaru asked her, slight interest held in his eyes.
 
Kagome paled and her barrier dropped, "H-he wanted it. H-he...he..." Her eyes rolled into the back of her head as she fell forward. Sesshomaru caught her, and with the nurse's help, was able to get her back into bed.
 
"Useless…" he growled at her.
 
"......shikon...no..ta.....ma........" the girl mumbled softly in her sleep.
 
"The Shikon no Tama? I thought that was just a myth. Sessho-san?" the bird youkai looked over at the inu youkai who was staring at the young miko. Suddenly he stood up and turned to leave the room.
 
"Suki, when she wakes up, send her to my office. Make sure no one comes near her but her friend."
 
"Yes, Sessho-san," the nurse replied as the inu youkai left the room.
 
 
~*~
 
 
Finally, after over half a millennia, he had found information on his long lost half-brother. Sesshomaru walked into his office and looked at the Tensaiga mounted on the wall. It had been so long...
 
He had known of his brother's enchantment with a miko that had ended with him sealed to a tree. About fifty years later, Sesshomaru would go to that tree to relieve Inuyasha of a certain heirloom of their father's only to find the hanyou was missing.
 
And now, 500 years later, he has found a young miko that knows of his brother.
 
Though he doubted it, maybe that prophecy was coming true...or she could just be another ordinary girl. But she had mentioned the Shikon, and she was undoubtedly attacked by a youkai in the school.
 
Now the question was who did it? The girl was obviously frightened, or else she wouldn't have emitted such a large surge of power. He had been in a meeting, but left as soon as he felt the reiki. When he arrived and checked the girl, he could find no other scent besides her own.
 
This was troublesome...no scent. The only way a person could have no scent would be that they are masking it, or they are made of nothing but water, the latter being unlikely. And to stoop so low as to attack a defenseless girl...
 
Damn....there was a spy from the Underground here....how could he have missed it?
 
He picked up the phone and dialed one, "Tell all associated faculty to stay after today....an important matter just came up."
 
He pressed the receiver, then dialed another number, "Kitsune, I am in need your expertise. We seem to have an unwanted pest at the school..."
 
 
~*~
 
 
"Kagome-chan?"
 
Said girl cracked her eyes open and looked over at her friend, "Taiko-chan? Wait, when did you get here?"
 
Taiko looked at Kagome with concerned eyes, "I've been here for awhile, for almost the entire lunch hour. You've been unconscious ever since the end of first period."
 
Kagome looked around the nurse's office, since she didn't get a good look from before. As previously noted, everything was white. Along one wall, there were sick beds lined up with sliding curtains to separate them if necessary. On the opposite wall was the nurse's desk, and behind that were several large cabinets filled with different kinds of medical supplies. Next to the door coming in was the bathroom and what looked like an air filter.
 
"What happened to you? I go to my locker for two seconds, and you faint. I called a teacher for help, and then I see you have blood dripping from your neck..."
 
Before answering, Kagome looked over to the nurse, who shook her head. It probably would be a bad idea to tell Taiko what had really happened. She was scared and confused as is, and a freaking friend wasn't going to help.
 
"I don't really remember much...just coming out of Giman-sensai's class."
 
Taiko diverted her eyes to the floor, "I'm sorry Kagome-chan. If I hadn't left you alone, this wouldn't have happened to you."
 
Kagome sat up and tried to comfort her friend, "It's not your fault. It's only a couple of scratches and a bump to the head."
 
Taiko looked at her friend with determination in her eyes, "I promise, I'll find whoever did this to you. You know I'm good to my word ."
 
Kagome nodded, And that's what worries me the most. Taiko-chan, don't get into any trouble.
 
The blue-haired nurse stood up from her desk and walked over to the two girls, "I know you're worried about your friend dear, but the lunch hour is almost over. Why don't you go back then? I'll call for you if anything changes with Higurashi-jou."
 
Taiko nodded and stood, "I'll see you later then. Bye." Kagome waved as her friend walked out of the room.
 
"You've had quite a few visitors that wanted to see you, but I had to turn most of them away. That girl though persisted that she saw you, so I let her. Oh, and a boy brought a bunch of herbal remedies for you. I promised you'd get them." The nurse pointed to the table next to Kagome and laughed as the girl sweat dropped.
 
"Your name is Suki-san, right?"
 
The nurse nodded and walked up to Kagome's bedside. She pulled a thermometer out from her pocket, "Let's see if your temperature has gone down yet." The girl looked at the nurse's hand a gasped when she only saw three fingers.
 
Suki followed Kagome's gaze and smiled, "All bird youkai, like me, only have three fingers. To others, it may seem strange, but to us, it's the norm. Now, to me, the thought of having five or more digits really make my feathers ruffle."
 
The girl blushed and turned her head away, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be staring."
 
The youkai shook her head and motioned for Kagome to open her mouth. When she had put the thermometer in place, she sat down in the chair next to the bed.
 
"It's alright, especially after what you've been through," she paused for a second, "I've never seen a girl react the way you did when her miko powers awakened."
 
Kagome gave her a questioning look, "No, you're not alone darling. There are other miko out there, but they are scarce, more so than youkai. I've maybe had met a half dozen miko within the past century compared to hundreds of youkai. Oh, let me see your temperature."
 
The girl opened her mouth and removed the glass rod. She handed it over to the nurse who looked closely at it, "Hmm...It's a little high for a human, but it's better than before."
 
"How long have you been working, Suki-san?"
 
"Here? Ever since the school opened, but I've been a healer for a few centuries."
 
"A few centuries?!"
 
She nodded, "You really don't know what you've been pulled into do you?"
 
Kagome shook her head, "I'm just a schoolgirl, what do I know?"
 
"You, Higurashi Kagome, are in for the ride of your life..."