InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tree Messaging ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
Thanks again to my beta, kokronagomu!
Enjoy and review....please?
 
 
 
Chapter 8
 
 
Kagome slowly walked up to the door to the headmaster's office. She unconsciously rubbed the bandages wrapped around her neck. Suki had given her some medicine so that her bruises would heal faster and no one would ask any questions.
 
She breathed in deeply, trying to calm herself down. On the way to the administrator's offices, she had passed several people whose appearance was now that of a youkai. Frankly, it was starting to freak her out, more so than before anyways. She never believed that youkai actually existed before she met Inuyasha, and now...
 
Before she could convince herself not to, Kagome knocked on the door.
 
"Come in," was the simple reply.
 
The girl hesitantly slide the shoji open. She had never been in this part of the school before, not being the trouble making type. The room was not that large. Opposite of the door was a wooden desk settled in front of two floor-to-ceiling windows. There were two chairs in front of it, and one occupied one behind it. To either wall, there were bookcases filled with different trinkets. Behind the desk mounted on the wall was an ancient looking sword.
 
"It is impolite to stand in one's doorway."
 
Kagome's attention focused on the youkai sitting behind the wooden desk. His face was calm and collected, but his eyes were cold and calculating. She wasn't sure if she liked this guy.
 
She made her way to his desk and bowed, "You wanted to see me, Ninku-san?"
 
"Yes. Sit down; we have much to talk about." His voice was monotone, held no emotion.
 
She sat down in the offered chair, "Yes sir?"
 
"Let us take care of the most important matter first; who attacked you?" he asked as his cold gaze seemed to pierce her. She was liking this guy less and less.
 
Kagome sighed, "Giman-sensai asked me to stay after class. He started to talk about how I had to protect the jewel. I tried to get away but..."
 
"Giman? As in Giman Shin, the biology teacher?" Kagome nodded. "That is impossible."
 
"What?" the schoolgirl asked, very confused.
 
"Giman is a human. He does not even know of the Alliance, let alone of youkai."
 
"Then how did I get these scratches on my neck? I know I didn't imagine Giman-sensai having fangs and claws."
 
Sessho leaned forward, "What else did he look like?"
 
Kagome thought for a moment, "I didn't see much because of the way he was holding on to me, but he had this wolfish grin. And before I ran out, I think I might have seen a tail, but everything seemed fuzzy at that point."
 
He raised an eyebrow while keeping his stoic expression, "A tail you say..... What about his aura?"
 
"His aura....?" she closed her eyes in concentration, "I think I sensed something..."
 
The schoolgirl was interrupted by the phone sitting on Sesshomaru's desk. The youkai looked at it as if annoyed and picked up.
 
"Yes?" his voice held some of that annoyance.
 
"Send her in," he placed the phone back on the receiver and mumbled something about a 'stupid kitsune'.
 
The shoji slid open and a girl about Kagome's age walked in. She had tawny hair that reached down to her shoulders and stunning green eyes. Two pointed ears peeked out from under her mass of hair. What the schoolgirl couldn't stop staring at was the long, red appendage that swished around nervously.
 
"You have a tail?!" the kitsune's eyes shot up to the miko and her tail ceased its movements.
 
"S-Sessho-san...?"
 
"She's a miko. Why are you here, Moriko?"
 
Her green eyes moved from Kagome to the youkai behind the desk, "My Ji-chan sends his regrets. We are quite busy in the shop, and...."
 
"He finds his illusionary tricks more important than finding a spy form the Underground?"
 
Moriko laughed shyly, "It is our nature to be playful..."
 
"Then what of your father?"
 
"He's still in Osaka. He'll be back in Tokyo by the beginning of next week."
 
The youkai sighed, "Fine. I do not have time for this..."
 
The kitsune bowed, "Thank you, Sessho-san." She hurriedly left the room with a small smile on her face.
 
"Kitsune....." he placed a hand over his eyes.
 
"Sir, was that girl really...?"
 
He turned back to Kagome, "Yes miko, she was also youkai. You will be seeing a lot more of them by the time you get home tonight."
 
The school girl looked back at the door, "What does she do, exactly?"
 
"You will find out later at the meeting."
 
She turned back to the youkai, "Meeting?"
 
Sesshomaru sighed again, "Yes, a meeting of the Youkai Alliance, which what I'll be talking to you about next."
 
Kagome nodded her head slowly, trying to take everything in.
 
"The Alliance is the youkai society. It has a set of laws as to what youkai can do in a human populated area; such as no transforming or taking off the concealment spell."
 
"Concealment spell?"
 
"Yes, you do remember what I looked like before, do you not?
 
She nodded, "You looked like an old man, and you seemed more cheerful as well...."
 
"Indeed...that is my concealment spell. Everyone with youkai blood has one. We have them so that we can blend into human society. To most people, we look like any other human walking among them"
 
"Then how come I can see you for what you are?"
 
"It's because of your miko powers. The actual spell is not that strong, just enough to shield our true from mortal sight. It would raise questions if the headmaster of a school never seemed to age, and the last thing the Alliance needs is a revealing problem. We have enough with the Underground."
 
The phone yet again rang. Sesshomaru pressed the speaker phone, "Yes?"
 
"Sir, we looked for Giman Shin like you asked, but we cannot find him anywhere. There's no scent or anything. It's like he just vanished."
 
"Get the kitsune here, now! I don't care that he's occupied by his little tricks." The youkai's usual stoic expression was replaced with anger and his eyes flashed red. Kagome felt strong youki brush against her aura. Just how powerful was her headmaster?
 
"What about Moriko?" the voice on the other line started to tremble.
 
"Send her to my office; I have another job for her. If she complains, tell her to leave it for the professionals." Sesshomaru hung up and looked at Kagome, "We are not done yet, but it looks like it will have to wait. When Moriko comes, stay here in my office." He stood up from his chair and walked towards the door.
 
"Ninku-san, what is going on?"
 
He turned back to the schoolgirl, "It does not concern you...for now." Then he left.
 
 
~*~
 
 
Kouga walked along the streets of Tokyo with his bag slung over his shoulder. An over-sized bee flew not far behind him. Damn things annoyed him to hell. Little multi-lensed eyed pest always bugging him about his next mission (no pun intended).
 
He had been reassigned, which meant he had to move and possibly get a new human identity, in other words, more headaches. All because of that damn girl, Higurashi Kagome. She would pay, dearly. He'd never been on the boss's good side, so he always had to work hard just to please him. Now, because of that wench, he had to 'redeem' himself, or get sent away to the Resort.
 
The wolf gulped, for as long as he had been in the Underground, anyone sent to the Resort never came back.
 
The insect landed on his unoccupied shoulder and began to buzz frantically. The ookami youkai swatted it away, "I heard you the first time. All I have to do is watch the girl for a few days until I see an opening. Go and tell Naraku that he'll have his precious jewel soon."
 
It buzzed its reply. "Look, I don't need an over-sized bee babysitting me. I'm not going to mess up this time."
 
"Well, I suppose that's good to hear..." Kouga looked up at the female bat hanyou now walking next to him. "I heard about what happened at Masurao High. So you've been reassigned, huh?" The hanyou had long pearlescent hair that contrasted to her dark tan skin.
 
She brought a clawed hand up to her face and inspected it with her purple eyes, before focusing back on the ookami next to her, "You don't honestly expect to wear that jacket while snooping around do you? You'd stick out like a sore thumb." To anyone without reiki or youki, she looked like an average Japanese woman in he mid-twenties wearing an odd looking black cat suit. Any youkai in the Alliance though, would be able to assess that she was a part of the Underground.
 
The Youkai Underground was run by whoever could beat the previous leader. Kouga remembered that when he first joined, it was run by some moth youkai. Soon after, a shape shifter killed the moth and took his place. Not long after, the Youkai Alliance formed, to try to bring the Underground down. It had been a like a war ever since. For the past couple of decades, things had been quiet, except for some mischief here and there. But now that Naraku was after this jewel....things would start to heat up.
 
There were other alliances and undergrounds in different countries. The Japan division did trade with them, but mainly kept to trying to dislodge the opposing force in their own country.
 
The wolf motioned to his bag, "I'm not stupid. I have a change of clothes in here. Besides, this thing cost half of my salary, I'm not about to go and ruin it, Shiori. On the other hand, why are you wearing your uniform in broad daylight? Do you want to be caught?!" The bat hanyou was practically a younger sister to him. She was in the Underground long before he joined, something about her family being wiped out. He could sympathize, his own mortal cousins going extinct over a century ago.
 
The woman snorted, "Whatever. The Alliance already knows who I am. There's no point in trying to hide it. It's not like they can catch me or anything." She looked down at her watch, "I'd like to stay and watch you mess up again, but Naraku wanted me to go do some stuff downtown." The hanyou walked ahead of him, and then turned around, "I'm sorry that you've been reassigned like this."
 
"Don't worry about it. It's my thick skull that did me in." Kouga walked past Shiori and she moved next to him again.
 
"I wonder who's going to take your spot. We need someone to watch that girl..."
 
He swatted the bug away from his shoulder again, "I'll give you one guess."
 
"Yomi?"
 
The wolf nodded, "He's starting to really annoy me. Everywhere I go, he's there. Damn ferret youkai...."
 
Shiori laughed, "He's just trying to get under your skin and on the boss's good side. And Yomi is a weasel youkai, you know that."
 
"Ferret...weasel...what does it matter. Two centuries ago, he would've been my lunch..." Kouga paused and sniffed at the air, "I smell wolf and kitsune. We'd better get out of here."
 
The hanyou pouted, "Man, now I can't go have my fun downtown..."
 
"Who said you can't? Be careful though..."
 
She rolled her eyes, "Please. Like some canine could actually hope to catch me. All I'm going to do is disarm a few youkai of their concealment spells. That should keep the Alliance busy for awhile."
 
"Good luck with that."
 
Shiori smiled up at him, "Good luck to you too. Try not to mess up though. If you get sent away, then who will I talk to? Or even worse..."
 
He gave her a brief hug, "Don't think about that. I'll be careful. After I do this, everything will get better." He let go and she walked away.
 
Everything will get better, his own words echoed in his head. Kouga continued to walk back to his apartment with his brow creased in thought. How he hoped that those words were true.