InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Tsukuyomi ❯ Family tale ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Inuyasha's universe belongs to Rumiko Takahashi sensei. .

Tsukuyomi’s story


Toga was waiting anxiously outside his mate’s chamber. He had conflicting feelings for his mate inside but the idea of being a father thrilled him.
He acknowledged the grey eye dragon snake youkai he had mated last season was a beautiful and powerful being. "her beauty has inspired ballads, and poems" were some of the descriptions about her made by the old weasel matchmaker, but he should have taken more attention to her character description.

"A dragon" Toga inutaishou had said, a few centuries ago such a pairing particularly with and upstart inuyoukai as they call them would have been thought impossible. The dragons had always considered themselves as royalty among the youkai.
But then he was famous even beyond the islands due to his excursions. The excursion to the continent repelling the invader had brought him fame and glory and the small lands he had inherited were now the Westernlands.
"Such a great and young Lord needs a capable mate by his side" his advisor had told him countless times"
He had avoided the topic until that fox advisor of his had taken the liberty to call a renowned youkai matchmaker. He felt like chopping some heads as he admitted the matchmaker for the interviewed, he had been informed the same day.
Usually that should have been done by a female relative but no having any reliable available he had decided to do it by himself. 'They might end pairing me with a crow or even worst some of those slimy youkais' he thought remembering some of the scary stories he had heard about matchings from hell made by aunts or sisters.
He would have love to make his own choice, go find a nice loving inuyoukai with whom he would have a few nice puppies, but that was particularly out of thought, at least with the main mate. Mating purpose was strong offspring.
"For a lord taiyoukai" the matchmaker was struggling with several long scrolls, "your regal and handsome appearance remembers that of the fairies and a ...do not look at me like that my Lord or I will consider mating you myself"
'Toga shivered at the thought of having anything to do with the old hag"
"I am sorry my Lord, I am accustomed in dealing with the female relative" the weasel laugh.
Rummaging through her scrolls a miniature painting of a youkai fell on the ground. Toga leaned to pick it up and stared to the beautifully painted face on it.
"That is quite a catch my Lord" the old weasel said absentmindly, "if you do not mind dragons"
"Dragon", said Toga dismissing the thought "why do you even have her painting"

"Well you see my Lord in the last centuries, dragons have become more open to admixtures she herself is one of those, she is mostly dragon but has some water elemental therefore no full dragon would take her, but still is quite the catch she is fair looking, princess by birthrights the youngest of the South water dragon king from a small island in the up North if I remember correctly, she is said to be quite smart and her mother is looking for a strong suitor who is up to the challenge I must warn though, my Lord..."
Toga meditated a bit, a dragon and an inuyoukai nobody could call their offspring upstarts and if any of the things he had witness through the years they will be strong, and on the other hand if he was turn down he would be home free for a few more centuries.
"I made up my mind I would like you to present my intentions" Toga finally said.
The nervous weasel finally said "I must warn you my Lord, she is famous for her temper and she will be anything but docile you know dragons"
"Well I will be up to the challenge"

After a long negotiation in which Toga and his lands were inspected by an emisary from the dragon king a turtle youkai who seem as old as the stars the match, the demise of the dragon king in the hands of one of his enemies had speed the arrangements.
The marriage agreements were made some were quite odd for Toga especially since they seem to be more of a peace agreement that a marriage one. Particularly the parts about double heirs, and solemn oath that she will not attack him on his sleep.
Toga was definitely worried by the time her carriage arrived.

To Toga it had been love at first sight to her a mating to a mere inuyokai (Taisho or not) had been an imposition on her fathers will. She gave him that Toga’s appearance was regal but his blood was not dragon so she was certain this situation would be anything but easy and their domestic life had been a sour one.

An heir Toga thought, my heir that would probably soften her character and make her more agreeable. He laugh at the thought, being a hot blooded an emotional inuyokai was a downside to marrying a cold blood dragon, his ethereal ice princess.

Myoga, his loyal servant the flea was there on his left shoulder. "Would you like me to find out how things are going inside my lord?"
Toga looked at his loyal flea entering a room with a vicious dragon was a terrifying thought even for him. The outcome had been bad she had already slain two midwifes with the uncontrolable whip of her tail and her growls were heard all around the house.
"No, Myoga I wish to keep you at my service for a little more time" he finally said.

Finally the growls stopped and a turtle youkai appeared carrying a small bundle in her arms.
Toga smiled, "what was it?"
The turtle said " a dragon my Lord" as she left to another chamber.

The next week had been a hide and seek game with his mate, she had returned to her usual activities and he was left in the dark.
At first he imagine it was some kind of odd dragon ritual but at the end of the week, he finally decided to faced her.
"Impatient Inuyoukai, I am not sure, but I won't think it will hatch anytime soon, maybe by spring.
"hatch?" Toga added.

"According to our marriage agreement I need to inform you though I will be leaving soon, there are some affairs in my late fathers kingdom I need to attend and will not be back until the next winter after she is hatched"
Toga had a confused look.

“You do know dragons usually are born in eggs and sometime later they hatch? “she said as explaining the most obvious thing in the world.
“But you are leaving?” Toga asked even more confused
"And deal with a newborn dragon?, no I will be as far as possible" She said.
"But you can't, the child will need you, I will need you" Toga said deeply concerned.
“is the fathers work to look after the egg” she finished

"So what am I supposed to do when..?"
"It hatches, well... throw it in a cave that usually works" Toga was horrified by the words his mate had said. "Inuyoukai childs were never spoiled in order to make them strong, but this was absurd.
She left him in the corridor more confused that ever.

He finally headed to the nursery chambers to the surprised of the turtle nanny demanding to see the child. There he found a pure white shiny egg laying on a small cradle the nanny had found to prevent it from rolling for it was a almost a perfect sphere like a full moon.

His mate left as she had warned him and he was stuck between his obligations and his inner chambers.
As diligent as he was he had taken a great deal time reading about dragon rearing, and actually he found a scroll that suggested locking the newborn dragon is a cave and throw the food from above until the child listen to reason ´she did not made that up´ he thought.
It seemed that dragon youkai usually were able to change to a humanoid form within the second year and they had to be kept away due to their violence.
But then it will also have his Inu blood, maybe it will not be as bad as described.

Spring was nearing and Toga was overtly anxious, maybe something had gone wrong what if it did not hatch, he understood why most inuyoukai left this thing to their mates it was very hard and on top of it his mate was not due to return anytime soon as a new letter stated
.
He remained near the egg at nights after his duties were finished, he had also read that the parents must be near in the hatching. The turtle nanny youkai just remain there ever vigilant, she had suggested to the Lord to calm down and let nature follow its course countless times, so now she just kept silent 'those emotional inuyokai' she though a as she verify the integrity of the shell as she had been instructed.
It was on the night of the solstice when Toga was awaken by a chirping sound coming from the egg that had started to shine. After the long wait, he was very exited and call the turtle nanny.
"What do we do now we help in the breaking, we call a midwife?" he asked
"My Lord" the sleepy turtle said surprised by the comment, 'Oh well he was inu afterall.'
"What if it can not hatch?" he added concerned
"Then it won't is a law among us hatched, if you want to live you must al least be able to hatch by yourself" the old turtle answered. "So now my Lord we just wait for what I know this could take a day, I will be near to help after the hatching, not before"
That was probably the longest day in Toga's life he would have wanted to help his child get out of that shell, but the stern look in the turtles eyes forbid it.
Finally the chirping stopped and the sphere broke in half revealing a small humanoid bundle in it.

He had half expect her to look either like a small puppy or a small dragon and was surprised when he saw the creature before him it had even adopted a humanoid form this soon, her silver hair shone and her elfin ears contrast with her face she looked a lot like her mother but her small hand already had the tiny claws of an inuyokai and a sweet expression on his face. “You are definitely my daughter” he exclaimed holding the child to the old Turtle surprise.

"So my Lord we now put her in the cave, I already found a suitable one near" said the turtle
"No, she is my child and she stays here" he said firmly still holding her on his arms
"But my lord, she is dragon"
"And inu too, so she will need care" he said caressing her small face. He almost took it back when the small fangs bit his fingers.
"Ouch", he said releasing his fingers "I think she is hungry"