InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two InuYashas ❯ Dreams of Horror ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Humming to herself Kagome prepared to settle down for the night. Having a job to do here and back home she figured the sooner she completed her task in the Sengoku Jadai the faster she could return home as not to worry her friends to much. Wiggling into her sleeping bag she glanced around the camp site, noting that InuYasha and Kyo had taken to rest against the same tree. Kyo at the base and InuYasha in the branches.

Today had certainly been interesting. After the confrontation with Kikyo, Kagome had pulled both of them away to let the girl wallow in her own misery. She'd felt sorry for the girl ultimately but that didn't mean she had to suffer her company. The guys had disappeared from camp shortly after they returned leaving Sango and Kagome to talk about hte events that had taken place. She provided more questions and confusion then answers for her female companion. Both wanting to know what would happen to cause InuYasha to die, and ultimately be reborn. Sango being a firm believer that you're only reborn to complete a task previously left unfinished.

After the boy had returned to the clearing, Kagome and Sango excused themselves. Gathering their bath supplies. Relaxing in the hot springs they discussed the plans of the next day. There were rumors of a demon torturing villagers. They planned to travel toward the latest sighing hoping to come across it before it tortured anymore humans. After plans were made Sango inquired whether the other InuYasha planned to travel with them. To which she had simply replied that she didn’t know. Guessing the with the rising of the sun he’d be gone, away this scary truth, this strange world and from her life.

Laying back she smiled, a sad smile. On some level she agreed with Sango, knowing that she was living proof. Kikyo died leaving the jewel unprotected, even though she had it cremated with her. So she was both happy and sad, knowing that InuYasha at some point had to leave her but happy in the knowledge that he would return to her. Or incidentally her to him, being that he was older. Unconsciously she wondered if it was her fault, not wanting to be the cause of his death.

Closing her eyes she relaxed her body and mind willing sleep to come. It came swiftly as her body succumbed to the full weight of the days events. Her sleep was plagued by darkness at first her mind to tired to produce images. Voices could be heard, questions and replies. Most of the voices unidentifiable due to screams that pierced the darkness.

"Nooooo," a woman screamed it ended in a gasp.

The shuffling and stampeding of moving feet could be heard as well as the tinge of arrows. Heavy hits and echoing thuds could be heard, reminding her of the falling of trees.

That's when she heard it, a laugh that she'd recognized anywhere. It didn't sound as evil as usual as it did amused and joyous.

"Kagome," some unknown voice scream causing the scene to materialize. What she saw horrified her. There was blood and bodies everywhere. Off to the left of her position she saw Kirara circling above, and Sango on the ground catching her boomerang.

Glancing to her right she saw Miroku sucking in what appeared to be various demons that had no doubt come from the creature they were now surrounding. They were engaged in battle with Naraku, and several others had joined they’re side for the cause.

Sango flung her massive weapon back into the thick of demons fast approaching with no end in sight. Running forward she jumped on to the back of the monoke that descended to fly low beside her. Catching the boomerang mid flight she prepared to swing it again but was caught off guard by a wolf slamming in to her side knocking her off her perch.

The girl fell the few feet to the ground rolling away from the wolf, looking back to where the girl had once been in the air she saw that Naraku had impaled the loyal Kirara. Swallowing a harsh cry she saw Kouga directing more wolves in an attack against Naraku.

Turning she searched for the others. She found Kikyo, well what was left of her laying in a mangled heap. Her body broken her soul stealers unable to place the soul within her, but viciously trying. She felt a tear leak for the girl who lost her life twice at the hand of the same man. Letting her gaze move further she finally noticed the little body laying behind the battling Miroku.

This time she couldn’t hold back her cry of anguish, feeling a fall of tears wash over her face. She made her way to where the kitsune lay bloodied by battle. She fell to her knees beside him and glazed into his eyes, cold and glossy with death. Reaching out she made to pick him up only to have her hand shimmer through him.

Immediately she pulled her hand back clutching it to her chest. Standing she reached out to touch Miroku only to have her hand slide through him. She noted that he seemed to shiver as if he felt her. Looking around she finally spotted herself, huddle on the ground shaking harshly as tortured sounds escaped her throat.

Making her way over she noted that she was not really here, but observing. When she reached herself she placed a hand on the girls shoulder, surprised when it made contact. Peering over her own shoulder what she saw made her stumble back.

Finally she was looking down into her own eyes, her own accusing eyes. And what she saw there made her heart hurt.

“It’s your fault. If it wasn’t for you I’d still have him.”

She shook her head as if to dispel her own voice. “No, it’s not true. It wasn’t me.” He fell unceremoniously to her knees. Rocking to comfort herself from the scathing words.

“If you had just stayed away. You just keep coming and look what happened because you could stay away?!” The voice rose with each word.

“But how, how did it happen?” Kagome was no longer looking at her but at the body she not too long ago held.

“It was you. He died saving you!” The voice died on a horrible sob.

Kagome just watched, seeing the lifeless stiff body of InuYasha not wanting to believe. ‘I don’t understand, how could this happen. And why is she blaming me and not herself?’ She continued to watch as the girl laid her head on the broken chest, sobbing.

“You, it was you. He saw you, saw Naraku aiming for you, and in a desperate attempt to save you he threw himself between you and the attack.” The girl lifted her head, turning her tear filled eyes. “You kept appearing about the field, I could see you, but they couldn’t. Why couldn’t the other’s see you?!”

The harsh accusatory tone was back. Hatred punctuating each word. “I was confused at first, thinking you were just a figment of my imagination. But then InuYasha pointed you out, calling out to you. I knew it wasn’t me because he was looking at you. And then Naraku saw you.”

Kagome sat in shock. She had been here before? She sat in captivated silence listening to the allegation she made of herself.

“You would flicker in and out of sight. At first I wondered if it was a trick but then you tried to save Shippo. It was surreal, the dagger that Naraku flung going straight through your heart but leaving you standing. You disappeared shortly after that only to appear before Kikyo. Trying to stop her from being torn apart by the serpent demons.”

Kagome could scarcely keep herself cognizant as she listened to the tale unfold. She found that had done this continuously through this battle, trying to save various people from falling at the hands of Naraku. She complete fell apart when the girl began to relate the events that had befallen InuYasha.

Kagome awoke in a cold sweat, looking around the camp site she noticed that neither Kyo or InuYasha were there. Sitting up she let her heart slow before getting out of the sleeping bag and tiptoeing out of the clearing, not wanting to wake the other occupants. Passing through the trees that marked the enclosed clearing he heart lurched. Turning she leaned against a tree, to catch her breath.

Stopping on the edge of the clearing she looked back at Shippo, snuggled against Kirara’s side. She watch the monoke twitch it’s tail before sighing and settling in, curling it’s body around the kitsune. Smiling she thanked the Gods that it was a dream and nothing more. Leaving the clearing, she felled to noticed the detached eyes that watched her retreat.