InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Two InuYashas ❯ Death is Not Subtle ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
InuYasha and Company are own/licensed by Takahasi Rumiko and Viz. I’m borrowing them for the soul purpose of finishing this story. This applies for chapters before and hereafter.

Death is Not Subtle

“Your friend left. Aren’t you going to go after him?” Kyo asked. She looked at him as if she could see the very depth of his soul by just looking into his eyes. He never looked at himself so closely and wasn’t sure if he wanted other to. He felt a momentary lost when she looked away to scan the play area.

Slowly Kagome shook her head, half to clear it and in answer to his question. “It’s better to let him broad over the situation. It’s how he comes to terms with it.” She stood looking up at the moon, if only it could hide secrets as well as it reveal them.

“Where do you suppose we go from here? As far as normal goes, things have shifted drastically.” Kagome smiled slightly, to let him know that she was only half serious.

Kyo blinked, trying to comprehend what she was asking of him. Sighing, he looked up at the moon. “I guess we let things run their course. Perhaps I learn about my past life close and personal.”

She laughed, “I guess. What better time to learn about yourself then the past.” She got up to make her way back toward the shrine and the well. Figuring that InuYasha had enough time to broad over it to see that his reasoning was confusing at most.

Kagome knew with out looking back that Kyo would follow her. It would be an interesting night, if not long.


When InuYasha left the well he immediately felt the other presence. He should have known that she wouldn’t be to far. She always had a knack for showing up when he was feeling down. He kept his back to her as he listened to her softly spoken words. They sparked an anger in him that he thought he had long ago forgotten.

“That’s not true! I let myself get close to you. As close as you would let me. That turned out great don’t you agree?” He cast a hateful eye on her. He wanted to hate her, to banish her from his memory but no matter how much he tried he couldn’t will himself to do so.

“What are you here for? Is it to rub salt into new wounds? The old ones are still raw.” He turned away from her in an attempt to leave her.

“I’m not here to hurt you. I came to comfort you not anger you.” She looked at his back, the ridgit way he held his shoulders. “Maybe it just wasn’t meant to be. Not in life at least” her tone was soft but her words no where near subtle.

InuYasha turned to study her face. “I think it’s time we both moved on. What’s holding you here? Your need for revenge?”

Her face flashed from shocked disbelief to stone, although she said nothing her stance spoke volumes.

“You blame me for you death. Even now you want me to pay for someone else’s sins.” He smiled sadly at her. At one time he would have died for her. The only person human or otherwise to show him compassion. That is until Kagome. “I’m not disillusioned by thoughts of love anymore.”

Kikyo laughed, it was dark and angry. “You thought you loved me or did you think I loved you? It would have never reached that point and you know it.” She narrowed her eyes at him.

“No,” he shook his head. He had never once believed that she loved him or vise verse. “You made it perfectly clear that my being a hanyou was impeding. To this day I still don’t understand why you thought it so impossible for a human and a demon to have a relationship. It was you that held the illusions.”

“I wasn’t just any human. I was a miko. Charged with the care of an entire village.” She chuckled, “And you. You were a demon. The enemy,” She shook her head, a lone tear running down her face. “You were the enemy. I swore to protect them from your time. My needs and wants came last.”

“It’s impossible for a miko and a demon to love one another. Your present situation should be a reminder of what can never be.”

“You loved him once. Why do you find it so hard to do so now?” Kagome heard most of the conversation as she touched ground in the well. She waited to see where the conversation was going before making her presences known.

Icy brown eyes met warm blue ones. “I was young and stupid. And I was betrayed as a result of my sins.”

“No, You know the truth., but you choose to believe I betrayed you.” InuYasha took a step closer feeling his anger rise a notch.

Kikyo laughed. “My dear InuYasha. You may not have betrayed me at first but when you sought retaliation. You also choose to believe that I betrayed you.” She gave him a look of contempt.

“It’s not like you let me get close enough to know better,” his voice rising in anger. “But I righting my wrong. I try everyday as I seek revenge on the demon that actually betrayed you, while you look for ways to punish me.”

“Kikyo, you don’t’ deserve what he’s given to you. He did love you at one time. I believe he still does no matter how much he tries to downplay it. I often times find myself jealous of that love.” Kagome felt hate for the woman’s callous words, and sorrow for a love lost.

Kikyo released a bitter laugh. “Love is a relative term little girl. You can love a friend and you can ’love’ a lover. You may love InuYasha. But the question here is, Do you ’love’ his replica.” She watched what appeared to be InuYasha pull himself up behind the girl. He was a split image although there were subtle differences.

“InuYasha,” she waited for him to look at her. “I know I told you I would never ask you to forget her.” She began slowly. She watched his eyes for hidden emotions.

He held his breathe. This was what he needed. To erase that shred of doubt in his mind.

She released a slow breath. “And I won’t ask that of you now.” She knew there were somethings that not even an iron will could make happen. And forgetting your first love, not matter how tragic was one of them.

InuYasha felt his heart drop. Evidently she didn’t need him. His ears lowered in depression, he wasn’t sure he wanted to her the rest. Lost in his own thought he barely heard her last words. Looking up he smiled sadly at her.

“I understand,” beginning on a released breath. He turned slightly way from her before her words registered. “What? Repeat what you last said”

“Am I talking to a break wall?” She raised an eyebrow at him.

He shook his head. “No, before that. After the whole I won’t ask you to do that now, part.” He looked at her with hope in his eyes.

She smiled. “Oh, I want you to stay with me. I mean it InuYasha. You are important to me and I do need you.”

InuYasha gathered her in a tight hug. “Keh, silly girl. I told you, you can’t get rid of my that easily. Through thick and thin, I’m with you.”

Kyo turned toward the woman, “No offense, but you stink. Is this like the era were baths were like forbidden or something?”

Kikyo turned from the cause of her misery to stare at the hanyou that dared insult her. “I’m so sorry to offend you disgraceful hanyou senses, but you can’t wash away the scent of death.”

At this he raised his eye and looked to Kagome for clarification. Whatever she meant by that was lost on him. How could that scnet of death cling to one human the way it clung to her? By the look on Kagome’s face the explanation was something that was by no mean normal or easy to comprehend.

Kagome looked at InuYasha. It was an easy concept for her to grasp. She had been there. But would he really believe them? “Um, Kyo. Kikyo died fifty-two years ago.”

This chapter was revised for future chapters. Besides it was nothing but a lousy song fic because I couldn’t think of anything else to write. It however will stay the same on Fanfiction.net.