InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unaware ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
 
Okay, minna…I have some interesting news. No, I'm not quitting writing this fic. Tsch…Like I would. LOL! Anyways, a friend of mine has agreed to let me use an interesting idea that so fits with this story! The idea will help fill out the story a bit, and I will be adding bits and pieces of this little idea into each chapter, to make them longer in length and to give you all an interesting never done before perspective on a question of, “What is it like to be in a coma?” Now, I will write this chapter according to the timeline. But, I will be adding this new idea and editing the previous chapters. For Fan Fiction Net readers: So, if you like the concept or if you feel you need to comment on the revisions, feel free to email your comments on those chapters, since I know they won't allow you to review a chapter twice…Oh well. I will be doing the revisions possibly throughout the week to get all caught up, okay. Well, hope ya enjoy the chapter!
 
 
Reviewer's Corner
 
From Fan Fiction. Net:
 
Tokyo-Xpress: You're welcome. Thanks for reviewing (Smiles widely and hugs you)
 
silver-angel-sakura: I know…Upset me too, but she's gonna be all right, now that Inu's there. And as soon as humanly possible is when I get the chance to write at work, and that's when I'm alone…Hee hee hee…I'm glad you loved it, and I look forward to hearing from you on this piece of work…(Wink)
 
inu hanyou nikkie: Well, every marriage has problems. It just seemed Inu realized some problems that existed, but neither of them paid attention to. Kikyo looked at it as if she was just living her life, and she didn't want Inu there ALL the time. He wanted to be included, even if there were problems Kikyo was dealing with. Kinda like in the anime. Inu told her not to go after Naraku, and she held a dagger to his neck telling him he was like Naraku in the sense that he felt Kikyo belonged to him…Okay…I bet I confused you even more…(sigh) Sorry if I did, but that's where that came from. It's complicated, but I hope to be able to clarify this matter somehow later on in the fic, k?
 
punkchickykagome: Hee hee! Sure, go ahead and pull my leg. I'll still update. However, I'm not sure what other reaction you might get…Okay…That was a total grandparent joke… (slams head on desk)… (wait…I have no desk)…Never mind. Not important.
 
SesshoumaruGal: Thank ya, and here ya go!
 
Inuyasha's Yuki: Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just you wait `til you see what happens in this gem… (laughs wickedly).
 
Kagome M.K: Unt I did… (Random Rocky Horror reference)
 
fallenangel08: Oh, ya better believe this is an Inu/Kags fic. Nothing to worry about there. Especially after this chapter… (puts pinky up next to my lips as I laugh)
 
From Media Miner. Org:
 
FatalFelineOfTheNight: Oh yeah. I know if Inu caught a glimpse of Shippo's daddy, the guy would be mincemeat. It wouldn't matter if Inu is just a human in this fic…He'd still be batha fodder when Inu got a hold of him.
 
XxDemonic PrincessxX: I'm sorry to hear your computer ran off with the mob for a bit. (sniff) You are just so wonderful! (starts sobbing) I love you!!! Okay…too much alcohol…Wait…I haven't been drinking… (sits back and ponders my stupid actions)
 
Chapter 7
 
 
 
Kagome awoke from a very nice dream, and a hearty sleep-full night. She was supposed to work the day shift that day, so she awoke early enough to have a quick shower and sit down with some tea and a bagel with cream cheese. Her son was to wake soon and come down for breakfast before his school bus arrived. Kagome hadn't felt this good in years. Well, since before the rape happened. She never knew that all she needed was someone who would look after her and stand behind her. `Who woulda thought it would be someone's husband?' She smiled for a second after the thought, and then the smile turned to a frown. `Someone's husband'. How nice that sounded, yeah right.
 
Kagome felt she was given the trash in life, save for her mother and her son. She had lost out in more ways than one. First, she lost a very close friend of hers, and then she ended up a single mother without someone special in her life to help be a father to her son. And then a wonderful man comes along who is everything she needs, and he's married. The only thing she was happy about in her life was her son. She was glad she fell in love with Shippo as soon as he was handed to her after birth.
 
Kagome was uncertain about only one thing these days. How the relationship with Inuyasha will pan out. She didn't want to break up a marriage, but she didn't want to miss out on possibilities either. Talk about confusion.
 
She sat at the table and sipped her tea as her little ray of sunshine skipped into the kitchen, all dressed for school. He saw Kagome, and skipped her way. Once he reached her, she slid her chair a bit and he crawled into her lap for a morning hug. It was only one or two days a week when he would get the chance to greet his mom in the morning, since school started at eight in the morning.
 
“Did you sleep well, honey?” Kagome asked Shippo as he hugged her tight.
 
“Yeah. Did you have a nice date with Inuyasha?” Shippo asked as he pulled back, a smile plastered on his face.
 
“Well, it wasn't exactly a date, but we had a good time.” Kagome said with a smile.
 
“I see that glint in your eye. He's a great guy, momma. I really like him.” Shippo said with a shard of hope in his eyes.
 
“Well, let me clear something up for ya, okay Shippo?” Kagome asked as she set him down and pointed towards a chair across the table from her. “I don't want you to get your hopes up about Inuyasha. I can't date him or get close to him. You probably won't see him often.”
 
“Why not? He was funny! He laughed at my jokes and he made some funny faces last night while he waited for you. Does he have any kids?” Shippo asked as he rambled on.
 
“I thought I heard some laughing downstairs while I was getting ready. And no, he doesn't have any kids. I figured he'd have a good time with you though. He has a good and caring heart.” Kagome cleared her throat as she thought about how to break it to her son.
 
“Something wrong momma?” Shippo asked as she lost herself in deep thought for a moment.
 
His voice brought her out of thought and she raised her eyes to his. “Shippo, there's something you have to understand about Inuyasha. I can't get close to him for one reason. His heart is not available. He is married to one of the coma patients I look after. That is how I met him.”
 
Shippo hung his head. “Oh.”
 
“Honey, he is a very sweet man, and he has become a friend of mine, but I can't consider him anything more than that.”
 
“Then why did you get all dolled up last night?” Shippo asked. It was new to him to see a man pick up his mother to go out somewhere. Especially since, he had never seen or heard about her dating anyone.
 
“I don't know why. It has been since high school since I've actually gone out, and I guess it was a reflex. Listen, honey. He is a very sweet man, and he and I have been able to be there for each other in various ways. He's helping me deal with my past, and helping me to open up to people. I have helped calm him since his wife's accident. He has had a rough time without her.”
 
“How have you helped him, mommy?” Shippo asked innocently.
 
“Well, I've listened to him. I've helped him focus on his life, even if he has to learn how to live without her for the time being while she sleeps. That's not easy to do when you're significant other has been your life and only family for a long time. Him helping me open up and deal with my past is his way of repaying me for being there for both him and his wife.”
 
“Oh, I see. So, he's not gonna be coming around again, huh?” Shippo asked with puppy dog eyes.
 
“I don't think it's a good idea if he does, especially with how you've taken a liking him. I don't want to confuse you, honey. In all honesty, you mean much more to me than he does.” Kagome said as she reached across the table and held his hand.
 
Shippo nodded and then got up from his chair to make his morning bowl of cereal. Kagome and Shippo then changed the subject to his school activities as he ate breakfast. Kagome could take pride in one thing in her life, that little boy of hers. As far as she was concerned, the only thing about him that reminded her of how she was graced with him was his red hair. Other than that, he had her personality. They talked and joked around a bit until the bus pulled up outside the house. Shippo then pulled his jacket on and grabbed his bag as he shot out the door for school. Kagome then went upstairs and got dressed and cleaned up for work.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Inuyasha awoke to a bright and sunny room. His wife was just as she was when he closed his eyes. He was beginning to think of her as a porcelain doll. The expression on her face didn't change. It was as if her soul had left her. He sat up and moved the sheet aside as he got up from the bed, wearing only his boxers and a pair of socks. He stepped up to his wife's bedside and put his hand on her face. He watched her eyes to see if there was any movement, like if she was at least dreaming.
 
After a few seconds, he noticed no movement under her eyelids. That unnerved him. He then decided to try something. He touched her lips and opened her mouth slightly. When he pulled his finger away, her mouth remained open slightly. He then opened her mouth a bit more, and it stayed open after he pulled his hands away. Then he reached further and opened one of her eyes. It stared back at him, not moving. Freaked out, he pulled his hand away and her eyelid closed slightly. She was lifeless as a doll. He closed her eye and mouth and turned away from her.
 
He stepped up to his bed and knelt down on the floor as he laid his arms upon the mattress and his head on his crossed arms. He couldn't believe that it was as if his wife was dead in that bed. He tried to calm himself as the door clicked open. His head shot up as he saw Kagome step in. She clicked the door shut quietly and turned. She stopped when she saw him eyeing her from his position on the floor with a shocked look on his face.
 
Kagome gasped. “Oh! I'm sorry. I'll come back if you…”
 
“No. It's okay. I was just…Don't worry about it. I'm all right.” He said as he cleared his throat and got up from the floor.
 
Kagome's cheeks went pink a shade or two as he stepped her way, wearing nothing but a pair of boxers, and his hair all mussed up. She turned her eyes to his wife and grabbed the chart just before he passed her on his way to the bathroom. She shook from the chills running down her spine for a second and then grabbed the pen from the pocket on her scrub shirt. As she started to jot down the information, she heard the toilet flush and the door click open. She tried to give him his privacy from her eyes as she read the stats more than once over.
 
“So, how was your night?” Inuyasha asked nonchalantly as he reached for his pants and slid them up to his hips. She heard the sounds and looked to see his back to her, as he zipped up and snapped his jeans.
 
“Fine. You?” she asked as she stepped up to the edge of the bed and set the chart in the slot.
 
“Well, uneventful. As you can see, nothing's changed.” He responded as he grabbed his deodorant and gestured towards his wife.
 
“I wish I knew what to say, Inuyasha.” Kagome replied with empathy in her voice.
 
Inuyasha slipped a shirt on from his bag and sat down on his bed as he rested his elbows on his thighs and set his face in his hands. He sat like that for a moment as he sighed. Kagome felt grounded to the spot where she stood for some reason. She felt a strange need to wait. As she stood and watched him, he then removed his hands to reveal his gaze was directed to the floor. Kagome waited to hear what he had to say.
 
“She looks like a lifeless doll. I even tried playing with her face a bit. She can't even move it herself. I looked at one of her eyes. It stared back at me like it was made of glass. Is that normal? She's not even showing signs of dreaming.” He asked as his gaze turned to hers.
 
“No one knows what goes on in a coma patient's mind, Inuyasha. It's been the greatest mystery of man for over a hundred years. They've even interviewed coma patients about what they've seen or gone through. None of them remembered when they come out of it. Some of them have even said they didn't dream a wink, but who knows if they had forgotten.”
 
“It's as if she has no soul. Kinda freaks me out.” Inuyasha said as he involuntarily shivered and looked to his wife.
 
“Well, according to her brain monitor, she does have brain activity going on, even if it is slight activity, so she is alive. Here's something you can think about. She's on hold, like in suspended animation. She won't even know how much time has passed once she wakes up. She will more than likely wake up thinking she had only blacked out for a few seconds. One thing they have deduced when it comes to coma patients is that time means nothing to them. They are completely unaware of how much time has passed as they sleep.” Kagome explained as she stepped across the room and sat down beside him. She then turned her gaze to Kikyo and watched her face.
 
Inuyasha turned his gaze to look at her lap beside him. Then his gaze wandered to her face and saw that her face held a reassuring smile. His face was full of doubt. Her reassuring gaze became empathetic as he closed his eyes and leaned towards her. She wrapped her arm around his shoulders as he stared off into space. She began to slightly rock from side to side to comfort him. After a few moments, she felt his shoulders begin to shake slightly and a few sniffles sounded from him.
 
“It's all right. I understand how hard it is. She will return to you. Have faith in her, Inuyasha.” Kagome whispered as he turned his face towards her shoulder and she wrapped her other arm around him. She felts his tears through her shirt. The doubt he felt made her feel doubt on her situation and hopes as well. What was the hardest part about comforting him was trying to remain strong whereas his emotions hit weak spots in her soul as well.
 
As she held him, his arms circled around her waist and his face went to her neck. His breathe tickled her skin. She tried to keep a hold of herself as his lips moved against her skin as he cried.
 
`I don't know what I want to do. Should I wait? Should I let my heart go? I am so alone. I don't want to hurt her, but yet…I…' Inuyasha thought to himself as his lips suddenly touched the skin of her neck. He loved the smooth feeling of her silky skin. Unknowingly, his lips connected with her skin and kissed her tenderly.
 
Kagome was shocked at the gesture. He began to kiss her neck. Then his hands began to rub her back as his mouth found its way to her chin. She became flustered at his actions. What was unnerving to her was his kisses felt good and she was losing herself. Then a moment later, his lips found hers. The kiss was tender and loving. They embraced as the kiss continued. They both entangled their hands in each other's hair as the kiss became passionate. Once his right hand left her back and found her thigh, she began to realize what was happening. Her eyes shot open and she pushed him away suddenly.
 
Inuyasha slipped off the bed and landed on the cold floor as Kagome got up and stumbled across the room and leaned up against the wall. Inuyasha figured out what had happened and covered his eyes with his hands in shame.
 
Kagome remained plastered to the wall across from him and sniffled, trying to regain herself when she heard him say, “Hit me.” Kagome turned from the wall and saw him cowering in shame on the floor.
 
“Why? Why would I hit you?” She asked as she wiped the tears from her eyes.
 
“I promised I wouldn't take advantage of you. I just broke that promise.” He moaned shamefully. Kagome couldn't respond. She just stood against the wall and watched him sulk. “C'mon. I know you want to. You pushed me away.” He said as he lowered his hands to show such shame on his face as he avoided her gaze.
 
Kagome thought about what had just happened a little further and stepped away from the wall. His gaze remained off to the side as she knelt down before him. She put a finger under his chin and directed his gaze to hers. She licked her lips and replied with, “I could never bring myself to hit you. I understand what happened. What's done is done.” His eyes watered as tears formed and readied to fall. As the first tear fell, Kagome wiped it from his chin and smiled.
 
“You're not angry at what happened? I…” He asked.
 
“I'm not saying it was the right move for you to make, but I can't be truthful if I say I didn't enjoy it myself.” His eyes got bigger in shock as she stood before him and turned to fix the sheet on his bed.
 
“You mean, you…” He asked and stopped short since he couldn't put the rest of the question to words as she shook the sheet in the air and let it drop lightly to the mattress and then started to smooth it out. Once she was finished with the bed, she turned to him and looked on him with a straight face. He knew what was coming. He braced himself for a slap or something.
 
“Even though I completely understand why that happened, I can not under any circumstances allow it to continue. I think you should spend some time away and find your heart. Maybe being close to me isn't good for you right now. I refuse to become a wedge between your heart and your wife.” She drawled out in a professional and cold manner as she looked him straight in the eye.
 
“Gomen.” Was all he got out as he stepped past her and out the door. As the door clicked shut, she turned to look upon his wife in shame. That was the last thing she wanted, was for him to cheat on his wife with her. She was not there for him to glom onto in that way. She began to fear her position with the couple. She needed to make some changes.
 
Because Kagome felt she had wronged Kikyo, she calmly knelt before her bed and asked Kami-sama for forgiveness. She felt dirtier after what had just happened than she did after the rape incident. She knew what was going on, but she let her heart take control over her conscience. She felt like a tramp.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Inuyasha stepped through the doors at the entrance of the hospital as he reached for his keys. He climbed into his car and pulled out his cell phone. He dialed up Kouga's number and waited for him to answer.
 
(Click) “Hello?” Kouga answered after a few rings.
 
“Hey, it's me.” Inuyasha drawled into the phone.
 
“Inu, hey! How's it going, Man?” Kouga responded cheerily enough.
 
“Too much, man. What are ya up to today?” Inuyasha said as his fingers pinched the bridge of his nose.
 
“Oh, nothin', just chillin'. Ya need ta hang out?” He asked.
 
“Yeah. I think my mind's screwed up again.” Inuyasha said in a somber tone.
 
“Damn. Okay, c'mon over, I'm at my apartment.” Kouga said as sounds of his couch caving in could be heard in the background.
 
“Thanks. I'll see you in a bit.” Inuyasha said as he slapped his phone shut, threw it into the passenger seat and put his forehead in his hand as he leaned against the door. Suddenly, he looked over to the passenger seat where his phone laid. As he stared for a few seconds, he suddenly saw Kagome's bare legs appear and he heard her giggle. His eyes darted up, and he saw an image of her. She was talking to him as she was when he drove her to the restaurant last night. He clenched his eyes shut and hit his head a few times on the steering wheel, causing his horn to beep at each impact.
 
Once he felt he had assaulted the horn and his stupid brain enough, he ran his hands over his face and settled his hands on the wheel to gain his composure. Once he had gained his mind back, he started the car and backed out of the spot he was in.
 
@*@
 
 
Kagome stepped out of the Tai room and walked into her supervisor's office. Her supervisor looked from her paperwork and said, “Kagome, is there something you need?”
 
Kagome took a seat in one of the chairs before the desk and folded her hands in her lap. “Suki, Can I make a request?”
 
“Sure, what do you need?” Suki asked as she leaned a bit forward to give Kagome her attention.
 
“I need to transfer to another floor. I am fully capable of performing tasks on all the other floors. Please give me that opportunity to excel in those other skills.” Kagome asked.
 
“Kagome, is there a problem with one of your patients?” Suki inquired.
 
“Not necessarily with a patient, but with a family member of a patient.” Kagome said impartially.
 
“I see. Does it have anything to do with Mr. and Mrs. Tai?” Suki inquired as she leaned back in her chair.
 
Kagome paused for a moment and then responded with, “Yes.” In a solemn tone as she bowed her head.
 
“Kagome, you are a very wonderful nurse, the best on this floor. But I will stress this, you cannot allow yourself to get attached to anyone while you are watching over them. I ask that you give that some thought. You are not here to find a husband, to find family, or to make friends. You are strictly a nurse, and as such, you must remain impartial no matter what the circumstance.” Suki stated.
 
“Yes. I understand.”
 
“No, I don't think you understand just yet. You have let yourself become emotionally involved with a patient's significant other. I cannot allow this type of behavior to continue. I have heard rumors about you and Mr. Tai since he arrived here from the other nurses. Your behavior has caused chaos amongst the nurses on this floor. Are you aware of this?”
 
“I wasn't until now. That is why I have come to change my post so I can detach myself from the situation. I love my job, and I haven't had this happen between me and a patient until now. You must understand this situation is not something I am accustomed to.” Kagome pleaded.
 
“I do understand that. However, all it takes is one incident for someone to sue the hospital during a situation of our staff getting too involved in a patient's life. If you cannot look at what you do as simply a job, then you have no business being a nurse. Everyone dies. Everyone suffers. If there was no suffering, we wouldn't have these jobs, now would we? We are here to make sure they recover and can go back to their lives, not to coddle them and fall into their lives. I am going to assign you to a leave of absence so you may figure out your next set of actions. I refuse to transfer you to another floor where you can still end up in the same situation. I don't believe a transfer will change anything. Do you understand?” Suki asked in a commanding tone.
 
Kagome's lip quivered as she nodded. “I will sign you up for a month's leave of absence. I do not want to see you here at all. And I do not want you conversing with anyone here on staff during that time. You will be compensated during your leave, so you have nothing to worry about. All this is for is for you to realize your weakness and make some decisions on your behavior.” Suki drawled out as she filled out a sheet of paper and set it in her outbox. “You may go.” Kagome stood from the chair and stepped out of the office. She then punched out and grabbed her jacket and purse.
 
Eri saw Kagome punch out early and stepped up to her from around the corner. “What's wrong, Kagome?”
 
“I've been sent on forced leave for a month. I'm supposed to leave here immediately. So, I guess I'll see ya then, okay?” Kagome said as her voice shook.
 
“Is it because of Inuyasha?” Eri asked.
 
“Yeah. But don't tell anyone, okay?”
 
“What do I do if Inuyasha asks after you?” Eri asked in earnest.
 
“Tell him I'm on vacation.” Kagome said over her shoulder as she stepped up to the elevator.
 
Suki stepped out of her office and saw Eri talking to Kagome. Suki tapped Eri on the shoulder just as the elevator dinged and Kagome walked in. “Eri, leave her be. You have patients to attend to. You and Rin will now watch over Mrs. Tai.”
 
Eri looked over her shoulder and said, “Yes, ma'am.”
 
 
@*@
 
 
Kikyo and Houji made their way through the other rooms on their floor. There were five other coma patients sleeping in their beds, none of the names sounded familiar. Nothing made any sense, and they knew that they were all alone. The main question they kept asking in their minds was, “For how long?”
 
“Houji, I just thought about something.” Kikyo drawled out of the silence as they sat in Houji's room on the floor.
 
“What's that?”
 
“Both of us had ended up in comas due to injuries inflicted on us. I wonder if the incidences we ended up in have something to do with us ending up here. I have a feeling we can't be seen and we are in a different dimension because our souls have left our bodies.” Kikyo explained as she stared off into space. Houji watched her as she stood and stepped up to his bed.
 
“How would you figure our souls have left our bodies?”
 
“We can't see our own faces, but I'm positive those in the living world can.” Kikyo said as she turned to face him. She pointed to her face as she continued. “My face is here. Not on my body.” She pointed to him. “Your face is on you right now, not on your body. None of the coma patients had a face to us. In the spirit world, I would bet our identities are with our souls, not our bodies.”
 
“Hmm. Funky, but it actually makes sense. What would that mean otherwise?” He asked as he got up from the floor and stepped up beside her.
 
“Unfinished business. Our cases have to be solved. I wonder if there's a way we can help our loved ones solve them.” Kikyo mentioned.
 
“That would be difficult for me. I have no loved ones left.” Houji said in a somber tone as his head bowed.
 
“If you tell me what you know, I might be able to help my husband help you out. I heard him breathing next to my bed. I can hear him. I wonder if there's a way to reach him.” Kikyo thought aloud.
 
“I guess it's worth a shot. We can at least get you out of here.” Houji suggested.
 
“I'm not leaving here without you. We will figure this out don't worry. I refuse to leave you here, Houji.” Kikyo said reassuringly as he nodded with hope in his eyes.
 
 
@*@
 
Whoa…now that was unexpected, wasn't it? Man, Inuyasha doesn't like to wait, now does he? LOL! Anyways, this story just gets more and more interesting as we go along, doesn't it? And once again, thanks for your reviews and encouragement. This fic is a big deal to me, and I am more than happy to write for all of you wonderful readers. Well, `til next time. Ja ne!