InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unaware ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
 
Well, I must say that the amount of readers this little fic is attracting just keeps shooting through the roof! Once again, I am very thankful for your reviews. My trip went well, and I was actually able to start a new fic on the way out. It has been posted, and for all of you who have me on your fave author's alert list, I'm sure you saw I had added another fic to my arsenal. So, go ahead and take the time to read that little ditty and let me know what ya think, k?
 
Also, I am now in the midst of not only a brand new fic, but also a new project all together. A new reader of mine asked me to be her editor. She is new to the world of fan fiction, has some interesting ideas in mind, and I'm doing what I can to be of service. I'm just letting you know of my activities so that if at any point my updating becomes a bit slowed, that would more than likely be the reason. Her pen name on Fan Fiction. Net is Lita20. I will let you know when her revisions have been posted, and if you could give her an, “Adda girl!” and a pat on the shoulder, that would be great. Anyways, now on with the fic!
 
 
Reviewer's Corner:
 
From Media Miner. Org:
 
Jason C: Yep, and this one is even sweeter!
 
From Fan Fiction. Net:
 
inuyasha's ear's are so cute: You're welcome, and their relationship is turning out to be much more complicated than I thought it would be. You're friends call you a slave driver? Well, you should try to get Inu and Kags under control, `cause they seem to have me wrapped around their pinky fingers.
 
Kagome M.K: Okay, here ya go (Smiles)
 
lunarcat12: Well, as far as Rin and Sesshy, we'll see when they decide to step in, and what develops between them. Knowing them, they're gonna make it a surprise. As far as Kagome's situation, yeah, suckity.
 
tvsweetie: I don't think Kikyo will pass on; since she never dies…We all know that… (snickers). We'll see if Inu and Kags can make up their minds. As far as Rin and Sesshy come into the picture, we'll see. They tend to elude me most of the time. Also, as far as Rin getting in trouble…We'll see. If you're curious as to what Kagome's up to during her vacation so far, read on (smiles widely)
 
Owari Nai Yumes: Um…okay, I will.
 
kirarakitty: Well, yeah. I went with a week. And, her mother shocking her with her swearing was pretty funny. And yes, Sesshy is just a bit out of character in that respect of looking out for Inu's best interests. And as far as how Inu and Kags meet during her vacation, read on. They write the fics for me, so they chose how they ended up bumping into each other. Man…Talk about some growling and hissing… (shakes head)
 
Crutches the magic hippie: Well now…That would definitely shorten the fic, now wouldn't it? As far as Naraku is concerned, I have a feeling he will show his ugly green head around here sometime soon, but I don't think he'll be poisoning Kikyo. And as far as legos, do they actually taste good?
 
Inuyasha's Yuki: Well, actually…That little blurb about weeks passing by, that was an assumption blurb I made when I figured it was gonna go a certain way. But, Inuyasha and Kagome kinda stepped in and started their confusion stuff. So, it's only been about a week, week and a half…Least before this chappy started. So, it's been almost a month if you think about it. And as far as Inu and Kikyo and Kagome are concerned, I have a good idea of how this fic will end, because I saw the gist of the plot in my dream, and then I saw the end. And…Um…I'm not sure how to answer your request without revealing the ending…So…Yeah…Best not it bring it up. Not that I don't appreciate your requests on what you would like to see, but the characters are writing the basic gist of the story here…I try to gain as much control as I can, but I usually end up failing in the end as far as details…(shrug) Now I've rambled…(faints)
 
Kyasumi: Schweeet!
 
Angel: Coolness! I'm glad this fic is one of your faves. As far as what I need…Um…help with controlling Inu and Kag's fights? They are so in character when together it's scary, isn't it? No matter what I do, when I write the two of them together it seems as if they always find something to fight about, doesn't it? (sigh) Oh well. About all we can do now is to just sit back and enjoy their antics, ne?
 
 
A/N: This is just an update to direct you to my ID page for a link to some very important info regarding future updates. Okay? Nothing has changed as far as the text, so you don't have to read any further for now, all right?
 
 
 
Chapter 9
 
 
 
Inuyasha slept at the nearest hotel for the past week. He would stop in for about an hour to see Kikyo every night, but he couldn't remain there due to what had happened. He felt so cheap and the fact that no matter how many times he tried, Kagome just wouldn't answer his phone calls. There were a few times when he was able to leave messages on her machine, but he gathered she erased them as soon as she heard his voice. He decided it was time to move on and go back to work. He called Bob and arranged to stop the leave pay and he went back the next day.
 
Things went back to normal once he got back into the swing of things with the garage. He was happy he decided to go back. He realized how insane he was at the fact that he wasn't working and doing the things he thrived on. Bob was glad he was back, but saddened by the news that there was no change in Kikyo's condition. He had hoped she wouldn't be out for very long. He could see the effects the situation had on Inuyasha. No matter how much he tried to hide it, his pained heart bled through his eyes.
 
@*@
 
Kagome had been spending quality time with her mother during the day and with her little boy in the evenings. They even all had the chance to go to the theater and see some of the new flicks. Kagome realized how badly she needed time off. She had been working non-stop since her internship ended. Her mother had signed her up for a spa day and they spent time out at the park on the nice days. Kagome also enjoyed the freedom of not having to set her alarm clock.
 
The only thing about her leave time that bothered her was how it was obviously affecting Inuyasha. He had called at least once every day. On the times when she was home, she saw the number on the caller id and ignored his calls. Other times, she would either hang up on him, or let her mother answer and say she was out. The messages he left while she was gone saddened her. He sounded truly sorry and did nothing but ask for a chance to apologize to her in person.
 
Flashback
 
 
Kagome arrived home after shopping with her mother. As she stepped up to the answering machine, she saw ten messages flashing. Her mother stepped past her and up the stairs. Kagome pressed the button on the message machine.
 
“You have ten messages. First message:” The answering machine drawled out as her eyes watched the machine.
 
“Hey. Kagome, it's me. I…Is there any way I can make this up to you? (Sigh) Can you please call me back? I really need to talk to you. Please stop avoiding me. I honestly mean it when I say that I never meant to hurt you. Please, tell me what I can do. Bye.” (Click)
 
Kagome closed her eyes the moment his voice bellowed from the speaker. She looked to the delete button and sniffled after she deleted the message and went to the next one. Five of them were from Inuyasha asking her to call him. She didn't have the heart to call him. She felt funny about the whole thing, and here he was, trying to make things right. She even tossed up the idea of changing her number on purpose. But, she chose not to, since deep down, she loved the sound of his voice.
 
End of Flashback
 
 
As her hand hung up on the caller, Kagome asked her mother what plans she had made for the day. It turned out her mother was going out with one of her friends and they were going to help another friend of hers with some problems. Kagome decided that she would go out by herself and enjoy some window-shopping on her own. As she was on her way to the nearest mall, she noticed her car hesitate and smoke suddenly started to come out from under the hood while she was on the high-speed highway. She panicked and pulled off to the side of the road and turned off the ignition. She sighed and leaned her head back into the headrest. As cars whizzed by her on the highway at fast speeds, she decided to just turn on her hazards and remain in the car as she dialed for assistance.
 
The person who handled her call said they had contacted the nearest garage to send a tow truck. So, she just turned the key and listened to the radio as she waited. About ten minutes later, a truck whizzed past her car and pulled over in front of her. She sat and watched as the door opened and a leg appeared. She then looked down to disconnect her seat belt. When she opened her door and stepped out of the car, she looked up at the man who came to pick her up.
 
Kagome froze. The man who came to her rescue was the last person she expected to see. It was him, Inuyasha. He stood before her with a look of shock on his face. As cars whizzed past at high speeds, they stood staring at each other in shock as the gusts of wind blew their hair in their faces. For a few moments, they both just stood there. Then, when a truck flew by with the horn blazing, they were both knocked out of their trances. They both looked away suddenly, their cheeks pink with embarrassment.
 
`Just my luck. The man who rescues me just has to be him. Why? I'm trying to avoid him!'
 
`What the…Her? She looks upset about something. Should I ask her? Why she's been avoiding me? No. I can't. I'm on duty. But…I can't just let this go.' Inuyasha thought as he raised his gaze to hers, seeing her gaze still turned away from him. “Hey!” Inuyasha shouted over the noise of traffic.
 
Kagome finally made eye contact and he saw the pink rouge on her cheeks. He smirked at her innocence. “So what's going on with your car?” He shouted as he began to walk towards her.
 
Kagome didn't know how he could act so nonchalantly after what happened. But then again, it had been a week since she'd seen him. “I don't know. It just suddenly started hesitating, and smoke came out from the hood.”
 
“Okay, let's have a look. Can ya pop the hood for me?” Inuyasha grunted as he knelt down before the car's grill looking for the lock.
 
Kagome reached into the driver's side and pulled the lever releasing the hood lock. Inuyasha reached in through the grill and unlocked the hatch. Once the hood was up, he saw the smoke coming from the engine block. He waved his hand over the engine to get rid of the smoke and reached over to check the oil. Kagome stood by and watched him work effortlessly, ignoring her. Once he pulled out the dipstick, wiped it clean and then checked it again, he saw she had a dangerously low amount of oil in her car.
 
He turned to her while holding up the dipstick. “When was the last time you took your car in for an oil change?” He asked giving her an accusing look.
 
“Um…Oh my…” Kagome sighed when she realized it had been over three months ago.
 
“Check the sticker on your windshield and your mileage.” Inuyasha suggested as he put away the dipstick. When Kagome eyed the mileage difference, she felt really stupid. It was two thousand miles over the mileage for the much needed oil change. Inuyasha stepped up behind her and eyed the two sets of miles. He stood up straight, folded his arms and shook his head as he clicked his tongue.
 
“Looks like you aint going anywhere in this baby, missy.” Inuyasha shouted as he then walked up to the hood of her car, slammed the hood down and stepped back to the tow truck. Kagome grabbed her belongings out of her glove compartment and then grabbed her keys from the ignition. She locked the doors and watched as he backed the truck up to the front of her car.
 
She watched him work as he hooked her car up to the chains and ran the winch to pull it closer to the truck. He hooked up some wires under her car and then turned to her. She eyed him as he beckoned her to the truck. “C'mon! You think I'm gonna leave ya standing here on the side of the highway?” He shouted as he then proceeded to walk towards her.
 
“I didn't think YOU'D be coming to get me.” She shouted over the noise.
 
“Why? I'm not here to seduce you or anything. I'm just doing my job!” He shouted back.
 
“But…”
 
“Look, I aint leaving you here, and I'd feel better if I drove you instead of leaving you here to get picked up by some half baked asshole!” He shouted as he grabbed her hand and walked her to the passenger side of the truck.
 
“Let go of me!”
 
She fussed and pulled on her hand as he opened the passenger side door and shoved her up against the passenger seat. “Listen! I aint leaving you here! Are you crazy?! Just get inside!” He shouted. She then climbed in as she huffed and mumbled her complaints. Once she was comfortably in the seat, he slammed the door shut and started over to the driver's side. As he climbed in, Kagome strapped herself in and held her purse to her chest. Once he shut the door, he turned the ignition and set the truck into gear. She looked his way and saw he was concentrating on the road to catch a break in the traffic. She remained silent as he watched. Once he caught a break, he looked forward and slammed on the gas. Kagome gasped as they shot out onto the highway very quickly. She kept watch on her car through the side mirror and saw her car was fine. She continued to watch ahead of them as he drove.
 
Neither of them said a word for a few minutes as the air became thick with tension. Inuyasha was beginning to feel it when he glanced her way. He saw she was stiff as a board and looked uncomfortable. He decided to try and loosen her up as he reached forward and turned on the music. She looked over to see what he was doing and saw him playing with the radio to catch a good station while he watched the road. Finally, he had enough and pulled down the visor. He slipped a CD out of the holder and slipped it into the player.
 
She just continued to watch the road and the scenery as a song bellowed from the speakers, and a voice was heard to her right. She looked over and sure enough, he was singing. He caught her glance and winked as he shot a smile her way. Once his eyes returned to the road again, she smiled slightly and took a deep breathe as she closed her eyes. His voice seemed to calm her nerves as he drove her off the highway and onto a city street.
 
Once the song was finished, he looked towards her and decided to break the ice. “Hey, I got a question.”
 
“What?” Kagome asked, still avoiding his gaze.
 
“Are you upset with me or something?”
 
Kagome spat and began to laugh. He caught the sound and looked her way. She was doubled over with her hand over her mouth as she laughed hard enough to make her face red.
 
“What's so funny?” He asked.
 
“Upset at you? Now why on earth would I NOT be upset with you?!” she shot back.
 
“What did I do to make you feel so terrified of me?” He asked.
 
“DUH! You took advantage of me! You said so yourself! Why else would I avoid you? Why would I NOT avoid you?”
 
“Hey! Calm down! I was just asking a question!” He spat as he pulled into a gas station and put the truck in park.
 
“You don't know do you?” she asked.
 
“Know what?” He asked innocently.
 
“That I was put on a forced leave of absence from my job because of your actions?” She shot him an accusatory look.
 
“You're kidding.” He said nonchalantly.
 
“NO! I'm not! I'm on the verge of loosing my job because of you! And you wanna know if I'm pissed at you? Geeze! Where's your brain?” His eyes got real big when he realized she wasn't kidding.
 
“Kagome. I'm sorry.” Her glare turned to surprise. “I've been trying to apologize for over a week now, and you refuse to return my calls.” He stated simply.
 
“I know. The thing is I'm not allowed to see anyone associated with the hospital, especially you for a whole month. I'm mainly following strict orders from my boss.”
 
“And my question to that is, do you want to avoid me?” She looked away shyly. “I take that as a no.”
 
“Take it how you wanna take it. Whether I continue to see you or not may very well mean my job and or my career. You know I can't afford to lose my job. I'm the only income in my household.”
 
At those sad words, Inuyasha looked away in defeat. “I didn't mean to get you in trouble. I never meant for any of this to happen.” Inuyasha replied innocently.
 
“I know. Neither did I. Look, Inuyasha. I can't see you. It's that simple.” Kagome drawled out solemnly.
 
“But it's not your fault. Well, not completely.” Inuyasha said shyly.
 
“I know.” Kagome sighed. They both sat there as if they were two teenagers who got in trouble with her parents because they went too far and got caught.
 
“Kagome, I can't stay at the hospital anymore.” Kagome glanced his way. “Because you're not there, I can't stay there. It doesn't feel right.”
 
“What are you trying to say?” Kagome asked.
 
Inuyasha looked into her eyes. “I guess I did depend on you too much. Too the point where the hospital seems an even worse place when you're not there.” Kagome's eyes opened wide at his words.
 
“You…You've fallen, haven't you?” she asked.
 
He kept his piercing gaze on hers as tears formed in her eyes. She gasped at the truth in his eyes. They didn't waver when she asked him. “No. Inuyasha, we can't!” she cried.
 
“I don't know any other way to explain it, Kagome. I can't control my heart, and neither can you.” He stated as his gaze shot to his hands in his lap.
 
“We can't. I refuse to let that happen.” She shook her head as tears fell from her eyes. She realized what she had to do. She unbuckled herself from her seat and opened the door. His eyes shot to her as she climbed out of the truck. He unbuckled his seatbelt and darted from his seat. He ran to her and caught her in his arms. She fought him as he dragged her towards the truck.
 
“Listen! I have to at least take you to the garage, okay? Please! Stop fighting me!” He shouted as she kneed him in the family jewels. He let go of her and doubled over as he grunted and grabbed hold of what mattered.
 
“I don't know what's happened to you, Inuyasha, but I refuse to let this happen. YOU'RE FUCKING MARRIED!” She shouted. He looked up at her from below as he tried to contain the pain from his face and catch his breathe. Her gaze held anger, but for only a few seconds as she eyed the pained man below her. She stood there, looking down at him as her gaze turned from anger to empathetic.
 
“You refuse to follow your heart, I guess. I understand. I should just leave you alone then. But I still refuse to let you call a cab.” He stated as he rose to stand up straight and turned to the truck. Kagome tossed over what he said for a moment and then turned back to climb into the truck and allow him to take her to the garage.
 
On the way back, they remained silent as if they were two fighting kids who were forced to remain in the same space. The air between them was even thicker than it was before they first spoke. Inuyasha began to feel less compatible with her by the second. He began to think he didn't know her anymore. She seemed as if she was a totally different woman. He had never experienced anything like that before. Since Kikyo was his first, he had never felt the pains of rejection. Not that he truly wanted to think cheating on his wife was right, but he couldn't help how he felt. And for Kagome to rip his heart out of his chest and stomp it dead on the gravel before him, he felt like shit.
 
Kagome knew the feelings she was having all too well. Turning a man down was nothing new to her. She had turned down every man she had come across since HE got a hold of her. She couldn't stand the thought of a man giving up what wonderful relationship he had for her tainted body. She didn't deserve him, and he refused to see that. What he saw in her baffled her. Kagome felt she was the trash of the city when she found out she was pregnant. Having a baby out of wedlock and losing her virginity to an asshole made her feel lower than the grime on the sewer walls. For him to fight with her over wanting to be with her instead of his wife, she figured he was insane. His wife was twice the woman she'd ever be.
 
As they pulled up to the garage, he turned off the ignition and looked her way. She stared straight ahead waiting for him to say something. She felt his eyes burn through her as she refused to meet his gaze.
 
“We're here. Unless ya wanna spend the night in the truck.” He smirked, hoping she'd laugh, but her face remained taught and emotionless. He caught the message her posture sent him. She had built up a wall and was hoping he'd leave her be. He closed his eyes and sighed.
 
When Kagome realized he wasn't about to leave, she thought she'd ask him to end her questioning. “What do you see in me? Why would you fight to keep me in your life when you have this wonderful woman who's loyal to you and not tainted waiting for you? I'm just some trash who's been used already. Plus, I'll never be half as successful as she is. I'm just a lowly nurse just out of college.” She sniffled and looked down.
 
“I was right, you are blind. I don't think you really wanna know what I see in you and why you matter so much. Trust me. It's not the time after what you said to me.” He said as he unbuckled his seatbelt and yanked the keys from the ignition. “Not only that, but you don't know me, like you claim I don't know you.” He spat as he climbed out of the truck and shut his door.
 
She sat there and felt the poison in his words taint her heart with sadness. She sobbed for a few seconds and then gathered her wits as she climbed out of the truck. She looked around and saw him step inside the building. She decided to follow him inside. She found him looking at a key wrack behind the counter.
 
“Do you have another mode of transportation while we work on your car?” He asked.
 
“No. I'm the only one who owns a car and drives.” She said shyly.
 
“Would you like to borrow a courtesy car for temporary use while we work on yours?” Inuyasha asked over his shoulder. She caught his gaze, seeing it had turned cold.
 
“Sure. Thank you.” Kagome replied quietly. He grabbed a set of keys and turned her way. He set the keys down on the counter and grabbed some paperwork from a drawer and a pen.
 
“Okay. I just need you to sign this form here, and hand over the keys for your car. We will call you with an estimate on the repairs and you'll pay when you pick it up.” He explained as he typed some info into the computer off to the side.
 
She grabbed her keys, took the ones for her car off the main ring and set them down towards the other side of the counter as she signed the form. “Now, the courtesy car is free of charge and you can return it when you pick up your car.” Kagome looked to him as he turned to her and grabbed the keys. He then grabbed a slip of paper, wrapped it around the key ring and set them back on the counter.
 
“I'm really sorry, Inuyasha.” Kagome apologized and his eyes shot up and pierced hers with doubt. “I guess I'm so used to rejecting men that I didn't think about what I said and how I said it.”
 
“No. Don't apologize. You're right. Just, don't ignore me, okay? That hurts worse than you rejecting me.” He stated.
 
Kagome nodded and smiled, gaining a smile from him as well. He took a deep breathe and then stepped around the counter. “Here, I'll show you which car you'll be driving.” Kagome followed him through the side door into a small parking lot.
 
He walked past a few cars and up to the nicest one in the row. It looked more expensive than the rest. “For the best customer, the best car we have to offer.” He gestured towards the sports car with a moon roof and the works.
 
Kagome's eyes got big. “Who's car is this?” She asked.
 
“Well, it used to be one of the sports cars in my dad's arsenal he collected before he died. I didn't care for it much, so we made it into a courtesy car for our customers. The owner of the garage drives it every now and then, but it usually just sits here.” Inuyasha explained as he unlocked the door and gestured for her to take a seat. Kagome stepped before him and sat her butt in the driver's seat. The car was immaculate. Leather interior, CD player, cruise control, climate control…The works. He watched her admire the car and crossed his arms over his chest in satisfaction. “You like it?” He asked.
 
“Whoa. I've never sat in a car like this before.” She said as she ran her hands over the steering wheel.
 
“Use it as long as you like. Let me know if you ever need a spare car, okay? If you ask, it's yours.” He assured her with a smile.
 
Kagome looked up at him. “You don't have to do this.”
 
“Well, it is basically MY car after all. I never drive it.” He shrugged.
 
Kagome smiled and stepped out of the car. He watched her as she stood before him, wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him. “Thank you. Even after all I put you through; you still go out of your way to accommodate me with the best.” She said.
 
“No problem. You deserve nothing short of the best.” He said in return. Once the hug ended, he set the keys in her hand and gestured to the car once again. She climbed in and closed the door. She turned the car on, and he stood there as he watched her drive away in the expensive car.
 
Once she was out of sight, Inuyasha stepped into the main office and up to the counter as he picked up her keys. He was about to walk out the front door when Bob called after him. Inuyasha stepped over to the owner and asked him what he needed.
 
“So, who was that? That wasn't Kikyo, was it?” Bob inquired.
 
“Oh, no. That was Kagome.”
 
“Kagome? Who's Kagome?” Bob asked.
 
“A friend of mine. She was the person I went to pick up with the tow truck.”
 
“Oh. You know her? From where?”
 
“She was Kikyo's nurse. I met her at the hospital.” He said with a bit of a far off look in his eyes.
 
“Inu, you're not cheating on Kikyo with a look alike, are ya?” Bob inquired.
 
“Oh, no! I swear! She's just a friend, Bob.” Inuyasha chuckled as he slapped the older man's shoulder.
 
“Okay. But I'm watching you.” Bob warned as he turned to his desk of paperwork.
 
“Whatever, Bob.” Inuyasha chuckled over his shoulder as he stepped out the front door to retrieve her car.
 
 
@*@
 
 
Wow. Another chapter completed, and once again, they fight and nothing's accomplished. Man, they both can't seem to make up their minds can they? It's weird when the characters take over the storyline. Oh well, as long as you all love it and it keeps all of us on our toes, I guess it's worth the confusion in the end, right? Well, I'm figuring at some point, there may be a chapter or two where it'll focus mainly on Kikyo and Houji. I guess now that the confusion between Inu and Kagome is out of the way, Kikyo and Houji will butt in and get their two cents in, right? Well, Ja ne for now!