InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unaware ❯ Chapter 24 ( Chapter 25 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I do not own Inuyasha & Co.
 
Well, this is, sadly to say, the last chapter for Unaware.  Although there are ideas in the works for some spin-offs, this initial story is undoubtedly finished after this chapter.  I will also be publishing this fic in the future, with a few changes to make it original.  I will keep everyone up to date as far as the publication process on my Deviantart page.  However, on a lighter note, I will continue with my other fan fics to keep you all happy :-D.  In addition, I want to thank you all very much for the support, the reviews and the wonderful comments throughout this journey.  If it were not for your support, this story would not have reached where it is today, along with my plans for it *shifts eyes*.  So, sit back and enjoy what has happened *smiles*.
 
 
Chapter 24
 
 
 One month later
 
Inuyasha stood there, eyeing them all.  They all looked so gorgeous, but the one for her must fit her perfectly.  As he eyed each ring, he tried to imagine it on her beautiful and thin finger.  One ring caught his eye no matter how many cases he passed.  It was a simple ring with one teardrop shaped diamond in-set amongst two small amethysts in a white gold band.  The shadow band to go with it was thin with a v-shape to it along with the v-shaped engagement ring band.
 
The diamond sparkled in an unusual way.  The cut was exquisite and the amethysts on both sides added to the twinkle.  He just couldn't place any of the other rings beside the white gold ring if he tried.  The white gold ring made every other one look ordinary. As Inuyasha stared one last time at the ring he couldn't walk away from, he thought about how he would want to give it to Kagome.  He also thought about her reaction to receiving such a gift. 
 
As he felt the ring in his pocket, he pulled it out and set it over the sizing chart.  He took the ring from the nightstand that morning after she left.  She generally doesn't leave her ring lying around, but that morning, she had forgotten to slip it on.  It was a simple sterling silver ring with a heart shaped turquoise stone on the top.  He just shrugged as he looked at the chart, which showed she was a size 6.  Once he lifted the ring off the chart and set it back in his pocket, he made eye contact with a sales person and they got the transaction well under way.
 
The price for the ring was about right where he figured he'd spend for Kagome.  As he stepped through the glass doors of the store, he had a smile plastered on his face.  That was it.  It is official.  Inuyasha planned to make Kagome his wife.  The only thing was he planned to wait to ask her for a bit.  It had only been a few weeks since Kikyo died and then entombed within the earth.  It was still a bit too soon to ask her, but his heart, even still mourning, couldn't see it happening any other way.  Inuyasha believed that no matter how it happened, they were thrown together not just once, but three times.  When they said, 'three times to charm', they weren't kidding.  Their meeting and ending up together was no coincidence.  Sure, Inuyasha would need Kagome to help him get through the hard times whenever Kikyo ever popped into his mind, but he refused not to move on from this point.  The whole way home, Inuyasha felt happy and relieved he had made that decision. 
 
 
@*@
 
Four months later
 
He sat back amongst the wide steel bars of his cell, thinking about the man in his head.  Inuyasha.  That handsome and rare looking Japanese-American man who astounded him.  No matter how he wanted him, Jakotsu ended up further away from the man.  Not all dreams come true anymore.  Sure, he can wish, but that's about it.
 
Inuyasha became the 'end all, be all' in his mind.  It was Inuyasha, or no one.  Now the man was the furthest from him, and pressing charges.  The whole time Jakotsu had seen Inuyasha as his heaven, the man saw him as a threat.  Inuyasha just never understood.  At this point, Jakotsu knew Inuyasha never would accept his affection, his words of love, or his heart.
 
Jakotsu messed up big time.  He lost his brother's approval and support, he lost his job as a mail runner.  He lost his life.  Sentenced to life in prison for murder, stalking and illegal use and ownership of a firearm.  He would never see Inuyasha again.  The trial was thrown out, and he was charged and sentenced on the accounts of witnesses, being identified in a line-up, and for evidence that was concrete.  The confession.  
 
The last day Jakotsu saw Inuyasha was the second to last day of the trial.  It pained him to witness the distress he was in as he described what was said to him at the bar.  The confession.  The pain of the loss of his wife shown through his eyes like a beacon.  He was thoroughly disgusted and angry with Jakotsu. 
 
 
*Flashback*
 
 
"Inuyasha, you claim this man here, the defendant, shot your wife Kikyo Tai?" the attorney asked.
 
"Yes."
 
"And how did you come about this information?"
 
Inuyasha glanced at Jakotsu for a moment when he gained the gumption to say it.  "I was told by the defendant himself."
 
"Were you?" The attorney asked sarcastically as he turned from Inuyasha and paced more towards Jakotsu's table when he continued with, "This man?" and then turned to face Inuyasha once again gesturing to Jakotsu.
 
"Yes."
 
"Now, how would that have been possible?"
 
"I met with him in disguise.  He said I reminded him of myself, but he didn't put two and two together." Inuyasha replied.
 
"So, you're saying, my client is gullible are you?" The attorney asked.  There was banging, as the judge stopped the question from being answered.  The attorney held up his hands in understanding and then thought for a moment.  "So, in other words, you deceived him to get a confession?"
 
Inuyasha hadn't thought about it that way, but leaned towards the mic and said, "Yes."
 
"So, what did he say?" The attorney asked with a shrug.
 
"He said he did something terrible and that he was having second thoughts on what he had done."
 
"And I take it you asked him what he did."
 
"Yes, I did."
 
"And what did he tell you?  Now, remember, you are under oath."
 
"He said he had shot someone's wife.  He pulled out a picture of me and said I reminded him of the man in the picture.  Then he proceeded to tell me why he did it." Inuyasha explained with a slight tenseness in his voice.
 
"And how did you react to this?" the attorney asked, hoping to get Inuyasha to confess something that he could turn against him in argument.
 
"I bit back my reaction, and complimented myself." Inuyasha stated, a stoic expression forming on his face.
 
"You complimented yourself." The attorney reiterated.
 
"Yes."
 
"Okay.  And what about the information of this man murdering your wife?  Didn't that affect you at all?"
 
"Yes, it did."
 
"Then, share.  How did you really feel?"
 
"How is that relevant?" Inuyasha asked. 
 
"Answer the question.," the judge stated sternly.
 
"I was angered.  And I was surprised that someone like Jakotsu would do such a thing and go so far as to kill my wife for his own benefit when she hadn't done anything to him to start it all." Inuyasha stated, never ending contact with the attorney's eyes.
 
"That's all?  Just angered and surprised?  Why not appalled?  Why not devastated?  Just angered and surprised?" That attorney was pressing him now.  Hoping to come up with some hidden motive.
 
"Yes."
 
"Are you still mourning your wife?"
 
"No comment."
 
"Is it true you have had relations with another woman through all this time?" The attorney pressed on.  Inuyasha's expression became defensive.
 
"Answer the question, Mr. Tai." The judge stated.
 
"Yes."
 
"No further questions, your honor."  The attorney stated as he then went back to his seat.
 
Inuyasha's head dropped in shame at that last answer.  When movement caught his eye, his attorney was called to make a statement for his witness.  His attorney then stood and stated, "No your honor. No statement can be made at this time."  Inuyasha then eyed his attorney with a questioning look.  His attorney winked. 
 
"Court will then proceed after a short recess.  Court adjourned." The judge called out as he stamped the gavel.
 
*End flashback*
 
The court date was then pushed back, and continued later that month.  Giving each party a chance to reconvene on important information.  Jakotsu just held that memory of that specific court day because of how Inuyasha reacted when asked about the woman he was seeing.  That look alike.  Who cared about her name?  The defensive look was all his defense attorney needed to see to get more gossip on him. 
 
The next court date was an interesting one.  The other witness presented was, of course, that woman Inuyasha loves.  Her testimony was very interesting.  The defense attorney pressed her good, but when asked to explain her relationship with Inuyasha, she claimed it was one, which developed as she took care of his wife.  The defense attorney loved that one.  Inuyasha was trying to get him for killing his wife, and all that time, he was cheating on Kikyo while she was a vegetable with no one other than her nurse.
 
As far as Jakotsu was concerned, the jury was paid off.  It was truly a twisted story how Inuyasha's wife ended up shot, and he was found guilty of cheating on her.  The defense attorney tried to see if he could turn it all around to get Inuyasha at his own game, but the prosecution attorney was the best one in the area.  Big bucks shelled out, that's for sure.
 
And all to do what?  To protect his little mistress.  Pathetic.  In Jakotsu's mind, Inuyasha was the only man he'd ever love.  No one could ever take his place.  As far as Jakotsu was concerned, he would waste away in prison, carrying out his life sentence with nothing but thoughts of Inuyasha on that day in court.  The look was too precious to forget.  Caught at his own game.  Shelled out as the adulterer of a vegetable.  A big marriage faux pas.  As the lights shut off for "Lights out" time, Jakotsu rolled over and shifted to lie down in his bed with a wide smile and a freeze frame image in his head of that look of defensiveness and embarrassment.
 
@*@
 
 
On many occasions, Kagome sat on the bench in the backyard, she eyed the woods. She took great comfort out on that bench these days after the trial ended, and Jakotsu was sentenced to prison. She watched Inuyasha go through the trial, lines gathering on his face as he watched the evidence being tossed around the courtroom. For a while, Inuyasha was worried that everything he went through for that confession was in vain. Kagome did her best to support him and lift his spirits through it all.
 
Inuyasha spent most of his days at the shop where things definitely made sense. He began to find his refuge in the vehicles brought in by customers. He chatted and joked with the guys at the shop, lightening his mood. Least until he arrived home and saw Kagome still sitting outside watching the forest behind the mansion. He figured it out. Whenever she was out there, she had been having a hard day. Most evenings, he joined her as Shippo was running around, kicking his soccer ball.
 
Sesshomaru had returned to the Bahamas months ago, taking the nurse, Rin, with him. It turned out she had no family to speak of, and was willing to give up her career after meeting the hotel mogul Inuyasha called brother. Kagome was surprised when told the news by her ex-coworker. Little did she know Inuyasha planned to ask her as well. Small world indeed. After all they had gone through, they each lost and gained as well. Lost so much, gained so much. How ironic life can be, yet make total sense in the end.
 
@*@
 
Inuyasha had the proposal all planned out, leaving Shippo with the grandmother for the evening. They had moved back to the house in the city, and Kagome went back and forth. The two of them came to find it hard to not stay together at night. Whenever they stayed apart, they ended up missing and needing each other more than they thought they would. Since Shippo's school was closer to the house and he couldn't catch his bus from Inuyasha's estate, Shippo was driven by Kagome every day, giving her a chance to visit with her mother.
 
Inuyasha had the ring in the hidden safe in his study across the hall from their bedroom. He had waited to see how they would work out this relationship. After all they had been through, he wasn't sure if she wanted the life he could offer, or if she would have wanted to shy back into the shadows where she was when bumped into her again. But seeing as she showed up at his estate more often than he had guessed, he realized she needed him more than he expected.
 
As he asked her to come by dressed for a candle light dinner out, he held his tongue as she asked him repeatedly what the occasion was. He decided the candle light dinner would take place at the banquet hall in the city, which housed not only a full sized dinning room equipped for dancing on a Friday night, but also a luscious garden depicting Eden. He felt that would be the best place to propose to the woman who became his heart and soul. It was an evening affair, which required a dress and suit. He would be shelling out plenty for the meal, enough to break the bank for the average blue-collar worker. All for that one question.
 
Once she arrived at the estate, a limo was provided for them. When she rang the doorbell, Inuyasha appeared before her with a single sterling rose in his hand. Kagome smiled widely and took the rose to hold it under her nose for a smell. She then eyed her date. Dressed in a black suit jacket with matching trousers and a maroon button down shirt underneath. He looked handsome with the first button undone, and the jacket left open. She wore a simple black evening dress that fell to her knees, and a pair of heels, which were open toed, with straps wrapped around her ankles. Her hair was down, and rested softly against her shoulders in soft curls with a few rhinestone clips here and there for shimmer.
 
Her appearance caused Inuyasha's breath to catch in his throat as the ambience the front lighting created with the looks of the angel before him. She was absolutely breath taking to him. Little did he know that Kagome's heart was pounding with the look in his eyes as he gazed upon her. There was something there in his soul just wanting to come out. She couldn't take her eyes from his as they both forgot the time as it ticked on by.
 
Inuyasha then noticed the chauffer had stepped out of the limo, indicating it was the time of departure planned by him. “Well, shall we go?” Inuyasha asked as he closed the door and then offered her his arm.
 
“Yes.” Kagome replied as she entwined her arm in his and he escorted her to the limo.
 
The ride to the banquet hall was short and uneventful. Kagome continued to try to keep eye contact with him, to see if she could catch his emotion. She worried about what this date entailed. She had wanted to know if he had thought about their relationship past everything as of recent. Sure, he took her out every now and then, but lately he had been a bit off and distant. Mourning Kikyo was very rough on him. Though he had to go through it in order to move on, it was the roughest part of this whole thing to go through.
 
She could tell something important was going on, especially since they finally felt Kikyo was now at rest. Inuyasha had visited her grave often the past few months. Especially when their anniversary came around. That night was especially hard on him. That night, he chose to remove the wedding band from his finger and set it in the box it came in where it now rests in his vault. Kagome cried with him as he locked the vault. She wasn't sure how he would fair after that night. She caught him fumbling with his finger often, searching for that ring which had been there for ten years.
 
Inuyasha had said that night that removing the ring made him feel as if he had lost a part of himself. Kagome reassured him that he wasn't wrong in those feelings. He did lose a part of him through all of this. He lost the woman he shared so many years with, and gave his heart to willingly. With her passing, she returned his heart to him. Kikyo obviously knew of the love he had found through everything. Kikyo always told him she would want him to move on if anything had ever happened to her. Inuyasha telling her the same helped him understand what he had to do after everything was done.
 
Even though Kagome sat beside the most handsome man she had ever come across, her face was melancholy. Inuyasha had suffered so much loss. All for those looks she loved so much. Because of some mentally unstable person who took it too far. How fragile life can be, and how hurt a heart can be. To break someone is easy. To kill off love is hard to do. No matter who Kagome is said to be to Inuyasha, she'll never replace the hole in his heart. Not that she ever felt she had the right to. Kikyo was a woman to rival, but never to win against in her mind.
 
Inuyasha can tell her how much she means to him, but she'll still feel for his loss, and Kikyo's loss. To forget what has happened between them would be selfish and wrong. To ever think she could fulfill that position Kikyo held in his heart, she'd have to be a saint. Kagome's confidence could never reach that height no matter how hard she'd try. As they arrived at the banquet hall, she eyed the sign saying, “Friday Night Ball”. Her eyes widened a bit as she turned her gaze to see Inuyasha smiling at her. She returned the smile as butterflies formed in her stomach.
 
They left the limo at the door and entered the banquet hall. The foyer was decorated lavishly with warm, low lighting. The ceilings a calming beige as the walls were painted a coral color, accenting the wall sconces brandishing candle light. There were archways and curio cabinets displaying porcelain dolls and crystal dinning sets. The banquet hall was well known in the city, but she had never been able to afford a visit until now. Once they arrived at the dining room, Kagome was awed by the scene. Tables scattered around, and an orchestra set on the stage, serenading the dining guests.
 
The greeter escorted them to their table and set down the menus before them. Kagome eyed the menu, afraid of what the prices would be of the food that would fill her tummy and heart. Inuyasha eyed the menu, saw what they would like, and grabbed hers right away. He wanted the night to be a surprise. She would know nothing of expense paid that night. Not even the nourishment she would receive. Kagome, still in awe of the atmosphere was oblivious when Inuyasha ordered the food and wine for the dinner.
 
All Inuyasha could do was gaze at her. No background could keep him from gazing at the beautiful woman he had met once again. The one who helped him keep his sanity. The one who has been there for him the most. The one who did what she could to mend his heart. There was much owed to the beautiful angel beside him, and to see her in awe made him very happy. Sure, he wasn't trying to show her he had money, but he wanted that night to seem as if they were in heaven. In symbolism of where their lives were headed.
 
Once the food came, Kagome and Inuyasha ate gladly. They chit chatted and talked about their lives between their meeting again. All good-natured conversation, they both laughed and smiled. Their first true date. They both wished the night would never end. After they had finished talking and caught up to the present, a song caught their attention. Inuyasha eyed the orchestra for the first time since they had entered the dinning room.
 
Inuyasha reached his hand to hers and asked her to dance. Kagome accepted and he guided her to the dance floor. As the violins played, setting the feel for the mood, Inuyasha and Kagome faced each other and began to waltz. As they moved about the floor, the room became a blur. All they could see was each other. No one else existed, no one else could interrupt. They were the two, Adam and Eve, in the Garden of Eden. Time was nonexistent. Life was their souls. They held so much in their hearts between them. Their souls longing to remain there, in each other's arms. Spinning about the candle lit room for all eternity.
 
Thoughts raged through Inuyasha's mind. Kagome seemed entranced enough to not know what was ahead. Of course, it was a mystery for him as well. He was unsure if she would accept his proposal. He was unsure if she wanted marriage after all she had been through. To him, Kagome was the only woman to comfort his soul. The only woman worth the heart he had to offer. The one, which belonged to another. If she were to refuse, he would shut himself off forever. To live alone in that estate `til his death.
 
As these thoughts raced through his mind due to his nervousness, Kagome read the worry in his eyes. “Inuyasha, what's wrong?” Kagome asked as she put her hand to his cheek.
 
At her question, he stopped leading the waltz and led her to the doors leading out into the garden. He couldn't put it into words what was going through his mind. He feared he would stumble over the words as they stepped into that heavenly garden of flowers and trellises. Seeing a decorated gazebo ahead, he led her to it where they entered and sat upon the bench in the middle. He held her hand and rubbed his fingers over her soft skin.
 
“Kagome, how has it been for you through all this? Do you enjoy being with me?” He asked in earnest.
 
“Well, it's been difficult, but I can't imagine being anywhere else but with you. Yes, I do enjoy being with you. Why do you ask?”
 
Inuyasha gazed into her eyes as he replied with, “Kagome, you mean so much to me, and I feel the same about you. There's nowhere I could ever be, unless you're there with me.”
 
Kagome smiled, her eyes glistened at the emotion wanting to burst from her body at those sweet words. She knew now why he had brought her there, but she needed to hear him ask her. He gazed deeply into her eyes for a moment before shifting smoothly to a kneeling position, gazing up into her eyes in hope.
 
“Kagome, I can't see my life advancing without you in it. Whether or not you'd ever accept a life with me, you are the only one who deserves my damaged heart. Will you accept me as your husband?” Kagome covered her mouth with her right hand, the tears that glistened in her eyes fell instantly at the first blink. “Kagome Higurashi, will you marry me?”
 
Kagome lost it that moment. The tears fell in force as her hand hid her expression. She cried openly at those words. At that question. He reached into his pocket for the box, opening it smoothly to reveal the most beautiful ring she had ever seen. As the ring glistened and sparkled on the gazebo walls, he held her gaze in hope and truth. When she removed her right hand from her mouth, she then revealed a wide smile. She right away fell forward to his body and held him close. They both cried tears of joy as they embraced for a few moments. When the embrace ended, he slipped the ring onto her finger and kissed her deeply.
 
Yes, heaven glistened from the rocks that night as the couple walked through the Garden of Eden, talking about their future together, and reminiscing about the past events, which brought them together once again. Together for the rest of their lives.
 
 
@*@
 
Well now, this is it. I know, kinda fairy tale-ish, but I love happy endings, don't you? Well, I have to say many thanks to you all, my readers, for your support through this story, and your enthusiasm is what gave me the drive to continue. I hope you all enjoyed this last chapter as I enjoyed writing it. I did suffer from mild writer's block on this last chapter, but with some inspiration, and an old play list, which hadn't been used in months, I was able to envision Inuyasha's proposal, and the ending of the story at this point. Yeah, you heard right. At this point. I have plans to continue, but in a different way. Those will remain a surprise, so keep looking for what I have in store next for our favorite story. And no, Avoidance isn't one of them (Chuckles). So, until next time, Ja ne!