InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Cherry Tree ❯ Part Two: The Dramatic Conclusion ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: And here's the conclusion!!! I hope you guys like it. ^_^ Thank you to all you guys that reviewed!! It means so much to me! Thank you!!! *bows at imaginary audience…* yeah. That's sad. Enjoy part dos!!!!
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Under the Cherry Tree
 
Part Two: The Dramatic Conclusion
 
 
Her cell phone rang. Kagome picked it up. It was her mom. “Hey, mom!”
 
“Hello, sweetie! How are you doing?”
“Oh, I'm fine. Have you got to the airport yet?”
 
“We're on our way.” Her mom almost giggled, “Oh, I'm so proud of you, Kagome! You are coming back home after all this, right? You haven't decided to stay in America?” Mrs. Higurashi sounded as if she was joking, but in all actuality, she was totally serious.
 
“No, Mom. I'm coming home. Sango's helping me pack the last of my things.”
 
“Okay, then we won't rent out your bedroom.”
 
Kagome laughed.
 
“Oh, hey, Grandpa wants to talk to you!”
 
“Okay, put him on,” Kagome said. She was so happy; she hadn't talked to her family in several weeks.”
 
“How's my college graduate?” Her grandpa's voice rang loud and clear over the phone.
 
“Excited.”
 
“You are graduating, right? We're not flying down there for nothing?”
 
“Yes, Grandpa.”
 
“How's Sango and everyone?”
 
“They're doing just fine, excited about graduating.”
 
“How's, um, Inuyasha doing?”
 
Kagome froze. Inuyasha? “I…um…” she stuttered. “I don't know. I haven't talked to him since…since we broke up.”
 
“Oh, really?” Kagome's grandpa was surprised…surprised but pleased. Inuyasha had kept to his word this time around and really cut off all ties with his granddaughter.
 
“Hey, Grandpa, I'd better let you go. I'll see you when you get here. Have a nice flight.”
 
“Okay, sweetheart…”
 
Click.
 
“Hm, she hung up on…OW!!”
 
Mrs. Higurashi reached over and smacked the old man over the head.
 
“What was that for!?!”
 
“You idiot. Of course she hung up on you, Dad! How could you ask her something like that?!?”
 
“I figured it'd be okay! It's been over 2 years!”
 
Mrs. Higurashi shook her head, and Sota sat in the backseat, ignoring them both.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kagome dropped the last of her bags into the bag checking station at the airport. She took her boarding pass and ticket information from the counter and walked back to there her family and Sango waited.
 
“Okay. I think that's everything.” She gave Sango a hug. “I'll talk to you later.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“And you're coming to Japan for Christmas this year, right?”
 
“Wouldn't miss it.”
 
Kagome smiled at her friend and walked towards security with her family. Sango turned around and left the airport, returning home to her empty apartment.
 
Kagome was thoroughly proud of herself. She had finished college without a problem, graduated, and even had a job waiting for her when she returned home. She never imagined she could get so much done in two years. For a second, she wondered if Inuyasha had been as successful as her, though she hadn't been so good at forgetting about him…
 
X_X_X
 
Inuyasha walked out of the auditorium, still wearing his graduation cap and gown. He had just graduated, satisfied and perfectly content, but something still seemed to be eating him away inside. He took off the cap, pulling his keys out of his pocket under the gown.
 
“Hey!!”
 
Inuyasha snapped his head up, two people approaching him. “Congratulations, dude! I knew you could do it.”
 
“Did you guys not come to the ceremony?”
 
They looked at each other uncertainly. One had long silver hair, like Inuyasha. It was his brother, the other his dorm mate. He had short black hair, pulled back in a tiny ponytail.
 
“Yeah, um. We got caught in a little traffic on the way here.”
 
“Okay, a lot of traffic.”
 
“We made the last ten minutes.”
 
Inuyasha sighed. “Wow. You guys are the best.”
 
“Dude, we're sorry.”
 
“Lunch on me?” Sesshomaru offered.
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I guess.”
 
He patted his younger brother on the back. “Good job, kid.”
 
The three guys walked out of the auditorium. Sesshomaru's car was a silver 1960 corvette. (hot!) Nicer than Inuyasha's car? Well, yeah. But Inuyasha was perfectly content with his truck. Sesshomaru unlocked his car and got in.
 
“You coming with me, Miroku?” Inuyasha asked.
 
He nodded. “Yeah. We'll see you there, Sesshomaru.”
 
“Hey wait! Where are we going??”
 
“I don't know. Follow Inuyasha.”
 
“'Kay.”
 
Miroku climbed into the hanyou's pick-up, shutting the door behind him. Inuyasha started the car, but didn't say anything.
 
“Boy,” Miroku commented, “for someone who just graduated you seem awfully down.”
 
“She's coming home today, Miroku,” he said instantly.
 
“Who's coming home?”
 
“Kagome. The girl I told you about. She's coming home from America today.”
 
“Oh, cool! You should call her up. I want to meet her, anyway.”
 
There's no way you're ever gonna meet her… “No. I can't call her.”
 
“Well, why not? Shouldn't you be happy she's coming home? You've been in love with this girl for, like, years, right?. No seriously, you should call her up and see if she wants to go eat with us. It'd be cool.”
 
“No. I can't do that.”
 
“Why not??” Miroku asked, totally confused. He would call her up if he was Inuyasha, but he wasn't.
 
“I promised I wouldn't.”
 
“But school is over! Both of you are home now! What are you gonna do?? Just ignore her? What if she's waiting for you to call?”
 
“She's not.”
 
“How can you be so sure??”
 
“We made a promise…”
 
“Yeah! For during school! But that's over now! You can live happily ever after…That's what you want, isn't it?”
 
“More than anything…”
 
“Then go to her house. Forget calling her! Show up, sweep her off her feet, take her as your bride!!” Miroku was getting into the story.
 
Inuyasha gave half a laugh. “I would love to…But if I do that, her Grandpa's going to lose that trust in me. I have to keep to my word. If there's ever a chance…I don't want to ruin it by not thinking. I said I would let fate run its course. If we meet again by chance, then I will be full ready to grab it. But if not…”
 
“You're going to throw it all away.”
 
“Pretty much.”
 
“You're an idiot.”
 
“Tell me about it.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Two weeks had passed since Kagome had arrived back in Japan. She had started her job, and was looking into buying her own home soon. Sota was preparing for his junior year in high school, which started in only a few more weeks. Grandpa still ran the shrine, and Mrs. Higurashi still stayed at home. Kagome was kind of surprised that she hadn't got a call from Inuyasha. Even though she tried not to think about it, every once in a while she couldn't help it. She wanted the phone to ring so badly. She had even begun to forget how that song went…she hadn't heard it in years. Was he not interested in talking to her? Is that why he hadn't called? Had he moved on? Maybe it's time I move on, too…
 
“Kagome?” her mom called to her from downstairs.
 
“Yeah, mom?” she replied, stepping out of her room.
 
“Could you run to the grocery store for me? I've run out of eggs and pickles. I need some for supper tonight. You don't mind, do you?”
 
“No, let me get my shoes.” Kagome grabbed her shoes and purse from her room, hurrying down the stairs and out the door. “I'll be back in a bit!” she called, shutting the behind her.
 
The closest grocery store was a good ten minute drive simply because of the time it took to get out of her large neighborhood and through all the traffic lights in between. She pulled up to a stop light right as it turned red, stopping. It was a huge intersection and she was turning left. It was going to be a while. She sat back and turned her radio up, singing alone with “Night of Fire” by dream. The song ended, and the light was still red. She loved listening to her radio stations again; she didn't get them while in America. Then the next song started, one that was vaguely familiar. Then she remembered… It was Four Seasons. Without thinking, she reached over and turned the radio off. The light turned green, and she started driving again. The grocery store was up ahead. She parked her red Toyota close to the front, giving herself a little walking time as possible. She pulled the grocery list her mother had given her out of her purse, going through it mentally. Eggs, Pickles, and a pound of Salmon. She could do that.
 
She found the pickles easily, making her way to the back where the eggs and salmon would be. She looked down each aisle as she passed, thinking about anything else that sounded good. (Who doesn't do that??) Then, something at the end of one aisle caught her eye. She took a double take. What was that? It looked like…white hair. No…I'm seeing things.
 
That stupid song had awakened so many memories that she had long forgotten. Suddenly, she was thinking about him non-stop. Dang it…I'm such an idiot. She grabbed a carton of eggs from the shelf.
 
“Kagome?”
 
Kagome turned her head and her breath caught in her lungs as Inuyasha caught her sight. Oh, Kami… Inuyasha looked just as stunned as she was. There was an eternity-long awkward silence. Both Kagome and Inuyasha held tight to their shopping carts, neither of the moving a muscle. The world had stopped.
 
Then he smiled. “Uh - how are you?”
 
Kagome swallowed and breathed for the first time since he had said her name. “Oh, I'm, uh, fine.” Pause. “You?”
 
“Uh - yeah.” He paused for a moment, trying to think of something intelligent sounding to say. “You…graduated…” Was that a question or a statement?? I'm such an idiot…
 
“Yes,” she replied, also trying to think of something a person with a higher education such as herself might come up with. “You did, too…” her words were so awkward that she also wasn't sure if she'd asked him a question or made an observation.
 
He nodded. “Yeah. How's your…mom?”
 
“She's fine. I just came here to get some stuff for…uh…her. She's making dinner tonight. What am I saying!? She always makes dinner!” Kagome stupidly laughed at herself.
 
Inuyasha smiled at her. Kagome was beginning to feel nauseous. She had to get out of there…
 
“It was great seeing you, Inu…” She couldn't do it! She could hardly say his name… “I have to go!” she exclaimed, leaving the cart sitting there, and running out the door. Inuyasha didn't move. He stood there, looking at the door Kagome had just run out of. He saw her frantically get in her car empty handed and drive away. What had he done wrong?
 
“Kagome…”
 
X_X_X
 
The front door to her house flew open and a sobbing Kagome ran into the door. He mom ran in from the kitchen, stunned at what she saw. “Kagome! Are you alright!?!”
 
Kagome threw her arms around her mom. “Oh, Mom!!”
 
“What happened, sweetheart? Where are the groceries?” her mother sounded so concerned.
 
“I'm sorry! But I couldn't…” she couldn't continue because she was so hysterical. Then her grandpa walked in.
 
“What in heavens, Kagome? What happened??”
 
She looked up at her grandpa, then stuffed her face back into her mom's shoulder. She shook her head. “I can't do it, Momma! I just can't!”
 
“What is she talking about?” Grandpa inquired.
 
Mrs. Higurashi shrugged. Ten minutes later, after Kagome had calmed down somewhat, her mother took her into the living room and the three of them sat down. She rubbed her hand up and down Kagome's back, same as she used to do when Kagome was crying because she fell off her bike, or crying when she was picked on by the kids at school.
 
“Now, can you tell us what happened, sweetheart? Your grandpa and I are awful worried!”
 
Kagome looked at her mom, then back down at her hands in her lap. “Inuyasha was at the store.”
 
A sudden wave of understanding filled the room. Grandpa nodded, making eye contact with his daughter. She looked at him, then back at Kagome. “What happened, Kagome? Was he…mean to you?”
 
Kagome shook her head furiously. “No. He was so nice…” she gulped her tears down. “He hasn't called me. He knew I was coming home, but he never called! I know I should forget it…I see my friends in public all the time, but…” She begin the cry softly again. She fell into her mom's embrace. “I still love him so much!!”
 
Mrs. Higurashi held tight to her sobbing daughter. She looked up at Grandpa and nodded. He stood up, leaving the room without a word.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Inuyasha pulled up into the parking lot, pulling the keys from the ignition and getting out of the truck. He walked slowly up the steps toward the shrine. He was surprised to receive a call from his former boss asking for a visit, but he came nonetheless. He couldn't imagine what it was he had done wrong. He had hardly said anything to Kagome. Was it about that? Did he make her cry? His mind was about to explode with the questions that filled it. Best get this over with, I suppose. The steps up the entrance seemed to go one forever. He had counted them before. 126, was it? It couldn't quite remember anymore. He entered the front doors, seeing the old man sitting, working peacefully behind the counter. He looked up, seeing Inuyasha walk in.
 
“Well, good evening, part-timer.”
 
Inuyasha smiled. “Boss.”
 
The old man left his seat and walked over to a door, opening it. “Why don't you come with me, I need your help for something.”
 
Inuyasha followed him into the next room. It was the stock room for the gift store. Grandpa Higurashi picked up a box, handing it to Inuyasha. “This is full of key chains. Shikon Jewel replicas, I believe. Would you mind helping me hang them in the store? I'm afraid we're getting a little low.”
 
Inuyasha nodded, still completely confused. He took the box to the gift shop, and was even more confused when the old man didn't follow him. What? Am I working for free now??
 
Even so, he hung the cheap-looking purple balls on the rack. When the box was empty, he took it back to the store room, finding the old man digging through some other boxes. Inuyasha couldn't take it anymore.
 
“May I ask, sir…Why did you ask me to come here?”
 
Grandpa chuckled. He pointed to two boxes that sat on the floor. He walked over to one and signaled Inuyasha to sit on the other. “Sit down, boy.” (haha)
 
Inuyasha proceeded to sit next to him, not once taking his eyes of the old man.
 
Grandpa inhaled, taking the stance that read “get ready, your about to get lectured”. He looked up at Inuyasha. “I haven't talked to you in a while, have I? How was college?”
 
“Um…fine.”
 
“Learn a lot?”
 
“Yeah, I guess.”
 
“Kagome quite enjoyed her years away, too.”
 
What kind of comment is that!?!? Did he bring me here to torture me?!? Inuyasha looked down into his lap. “Yeah. I hope so.” Silence filled the room for a moment.
 
“You know,” the old man said confidently, “I can always respect someone that can keep to his word, no matter how he feels. Now, Inuyasha, I know that I've made these last few years hell for you. It wasn't easy for either of you, and I understand that. You kept your word, Inuyasha, and I've never been happier with you both.” Grandpa looked down at the floor for a moment, before lifting his eyes back to Inuyasha. “And I've also never been more pleased with the boy I wish to give my granddaughter to.”
 
Inuyasha almost fainted. What was that? What did he just say? Give his granddaughter to? The old mad stood up, looking back down at the shocked hanyou. “I guess, then, that you wish to speak to Kagome?”
 
He kind of nodded, eyes gaping.
 
“She's at home. I'm sure she'd be happy to hear from you.” With that, her grandpa exited the room, leaving Inuyasha still sitting on the box.
 
He sat still for a few minutes, taking in what had just happened. Then he came back to reality.
 
“I have to go.”
 
X_X_X
 
His hands could barely grip the steering wheel. He hadn't wasted any time. He left the shrine and headed straight for Kagome's house. Had he not been there so many times, he would have forgotten the way. Then he saw it. The house looked like a monster, ready to eat him alive. He stopped the truck, climbing out and walking towards the door. What would she say? Would she listen? Was she angry? Would he sound like an idiot? He rang the doorbell.
 
X_X_X
 
“Kagome!” her mom called. “Get the door, please!”
 
Kagome turned the TV down and got off the couch, sulking to the door. She pulled it open, frozen at the sight she beheld. Inuyasha stood there, his head hanging unusually low. He hadn't looked up yet, but when he did, Kagome noticed that it looked like he was about to cry. Her heart broke for him.
 
He took a deep breath. “Kagome…” he gulped. I have to do this… “I don't - I don't have a job, or much of a plan. I snore when I sleep sometimes. I hate telling people how I feel, and I hate having to trust people. But I hate even more seeing you in pain. I hate having to do things that hurt us. I want to make you happy from now on. I don't know what we'll do to make money. Heck, I don't even know where we'll live. But..,” I single tear rolled down his cheek. He looked up into her eyes as she began to cry. “But I swear that I will love and protect you for the rest of my life.”
 
Kagome stared at him, speechless.
 
“You probably hate me or something for not getting in touch with you…but…”
 
She snapped out of her trance, looking him in the eye, crying as she ran in to his embrace. He held her up off the ground, one hand on her back, the other on the back of her head. They stayed like that for a minute before Kagome could speak again.
 
“I didn't think…” she said finally, “I didn't think you'd come back for me.”
 
He set her down and backed her into the corner of the front porch, one hand on the wall on each side of her. He smiled, taking his lips to hers without hesitation. A tear rolled down her cheek. She had forgotten what it was like. He pulled away, setting his forehead against hers.
 
“I…” she began.
 
He lifted two fingers to her lips. “Shh. You'll ruin it.”
 
She laughed, making Inuyasha laugh as well as he kissed her again.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
A/N: Okay, okay…I'll give you an epilogue. (I don't really have a choice, though. The story won't live to its name without it.) hehe…