InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Understandings ❯ Resisting temptations of the heart ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 10
Resisting temptations of the heart
Stark paced the room of his loft in the industrial part of Tokyo. He had been there, in hiding watching the two jog in the rain. He had been watching in secrete as the two took refuge under the tree and talked. Unfortunately, he couldn't get close enough to hear the conversation with out being noticed. He was there when he saw Inuyasha kiss Kagome under that tree. Stark became enraged and had to be "put down" by "the book" before they were discovered.
"That's the last time I let you out in public again" the book spoke softly in Stark's head.
"But hekissed her! He kissedour Kagome!" Stark wailed in his defense.
"She's not ours. She won't be."
"But you said that we wouldn't kill her, you said that we didn't have to! You said her children would be more powerful than she....you said..."
"I know what I said, however you apparently don't. I told you that if we could find out how powerful each of her ancestors were, we would quite possibly see that each one was stronger than the previous. If she had a child, her child would possibly be stronger than she."
"Then you said that if she belonged to us, with our power, she could have an even stronger child than without! Shebelongs to us! We'll make her fall in love with us. She'll have our child and then we could have both the powerand her! The soul will be even stronger for the transfer if it'sour own child that gives us the soul. You said that blood ties were stronger than any other! She will be ours, and you let that...Inuyasha put his filthy lips on her and...." Stark's rant broke as he fell unconscious to the ground.
The book sighed as it took over Stark's body once more, picking him self up off of the floor. "You seriously don'tstill think I even intend to keep you around once I'm done, let alone thatdemon bitch did you? Oh, you did. How...sweet No, you'll be spending eternity locked up here.” He said, tapping the side of his head. “As for your bitch, well she'll be fun to play with, but that will be about all she'll be good for once I get a hold of her.”
He crossed the room and picked up the phone resting on the desk next to...himself; The Book of Souls. He chuckled at that fact as he caressed the gold lettering that had become a bit more visible. It sent a shiver through both of his spines; that of Starks and the book itself.
"Yes, sir?" a voice on the other end of the phone questioned.
"I need a car; I'm on my way down now."
"Yes, sir."
Stark hung up the phone and ran his fingers over the book once more before crossing to the door where his coat and a small package wrapped in plastic were waiting patiently for him. "For the trouble you were to acquire," he said, placing the package in his coat pocket, "you'd better be worth it."
The car was waiting down stairs when he arrived. "Where to, Mr. Stark?"
Stark handed the driver a slip of paper without a word and climbed into the long black car. The driver looked down at the paper in his hand and squinted at the address; Morgan's shop. He was going to quit this job if Mr. Stark kept making him go to her place. He was loyal to his employer. Sure, Stark dabbled in a bit of unsavory things, but that woman, the things that woman did scared him more than Stark could ever think of and the locals called her the Black Witch behind her back. His skin started to crawl just thinking about her.
She was a beauty to behold, long raven hair, pale firm skin, the eternal age of her early twenties. However as beautiful as she was, she would always have one thing that set her away from the humans. Her eyes were as black as the blackest coal and as empty as the largest void. Her pupils covered her entire eye, making it look as if you stared too long you would fall in and be devoured.
The driver shivered as he pulled up out side the door that led to the witch and her never ending voids. If the eyes were windows to the soul, he had no doubts that he was as evil as they come.
"Wait here." Stark called as the car rolled to a stop.
The driver sighed in relief; the last time he had gone in, she had requested him in exchange for her services.

Stark walked into the small shop that held the various odds and ends for casting spells and what not. Along one wall were potions, herbs and powders and along the other were knick knacks and bits of things he'd rather not ponder the locations from which they had come.
Crossing the store all the while trying to avoid touching anything, he carefully made his way to the store room where the Black Witch was waiting for him.
"Witch, do you have what I require?"
She flashed a dazzling smile at him, however it didn't quite reach the pure black spheres she called eyes. "Do you have that which I require?" Had she been blind folded, she would have been quite lovely at that moment.
"We had a deal did we not? However, this was more trouble to get than I had originally anticipated." She gave him a questioning look as he pulled the package from his pocket and tossed it to her.
"How was it more trouble?"
"You asked for fresh did you not?" He continued as she nodded and opened the package. "We had to keep him alive for two weeks. Human hearts aren't an easy thing to come by, especially one that has been fed nothing but red meat for two weeks."
"But I only require one week," she grinned as she leaned over and inhaled the aroma of fresh blood and tissue. "It's fresher than I thought it would be." She murmured under her breath.
Starks hand shot out and grabbed her chin, forcing her to look him in the eye. "I give no less than I expect in return. If you ask for one week and I give you two, I expect twice the effort from you. If you ask no more than six hours old and I give you an hour, I expect the same from you."
The witch closed her eyes under Stark's intense gaze. She had never felt this much power radiate from one person before. She shivered as his hand dropped away and her body cried for the over flow of power that had coursed through her during their contact. Shuddering, she reached into her cleavage and produced a small bottle with a thick black liquid inside. “Drink this and you'll have your desired effect.”
He turned from her dark empty gaze as she bit down into the human heart in her hands and held the bottle up to the light. “They, Geoff especially, won't recognize me under this spell?” he asked after several minuets.
“Not even your mother would.” She replied, wiping the last traces of the heart she had devoured away from her hands. “Of course, you'll have to come up with another name. If they hear the name stark in your presence, the spell will be broken.”
“A new name? “
“Might I suggest Kane?” She said, standing and stepping to retrieve her tea that had been forgotten at the excitement of her payment.
“Why that name?” he asked as he turned to face her. Stark froze in place. The woman he knew to be the Black Witch was no longer there. Instead, a woman with beautiful blue eyes stood before him looking very much human now; much more befitting of the name Morgan.
“I know, a shocker isn't it?” she smiled. This time it reached all the way to her eyes. “The human heart gives me humanity. I tend to scare the children less like this. With a heart as well fed and fresh as the one you gave me, this should last a good three months. Thank you, I owe you. As for the name Kane, well he was the man whose heart was “donated” for your payment.”
Collecting his wits and clearing his throat “Yes, well that seems fitting I suppose. To Kane.' Stark raised the bottle in a toast and swallowed the sweet tasting liquid and tossed it empty, back to Morgan. She set the bottle on the table and smoothed imagined wrinkles out of her black slacks. “Why are you fidgeting, witch?”
“I was just wondering what your next request would be.” She looked up at him with a worried expression, quickly looking away when she noticed him looking at her. Her desire to feel that power again was overwhelming and if he didn't leave soon, she wouldn't be able to refrain from touching him. “I almost didn't get this one done in time and I would hate to disappoint you after you went above and beyond for me.”
This witch was only the second person in his existence to stir up the feelings of lust in his human host and if he had any thought that she wouldn't eat his heart one night in bed, he might consider....no. she would turn on him the first chance she got. She could feel his power when he touched her, he had made sure of that and the lust for that power, no matter how small the contact, was evident in her now blue eyes. “Rest assured Morgan, when I need your services again, I will let you know well in advance. I don't want you rushing things and slipping up now do I? Don't get up, I'll let myself out.”
His driver was waiting patiently out side for him, as instructed, when he returned. “Back to the flat please. I need to change before we head to the palace.” The blank stare quickly followed by anger he received made him smile. “Stark.” The look on the drivers face changed to recognition with out missing a beat. `Smart one, that boy. I may have to keep him around a lot longer.'
“Yes, sir. Shall I call ahead and have a late lunch prepared for you?”
Ah, yes. Human bodies did have to have nourishment didn't they? “Yes, that would be good. You know,” he paused in front of the driver “you're quite handy to have around. Oh, and before I forget; for the time being, I will go by the name, Kane”
“Yes, sir”
Stark slid into the comfortable leather seat and settled in for the ride home. This was going to be a test of his mental strength and it was going to be a huge test at that. Closing his eyes for a moment, he was surprised when the door was suddenly jerked open.
“Sir, you dozed off. Lunch will be served in your study and I had the maid set your clothing on the bed and draw you a bath.” He leaned a little closer and whispered to his boss. “You smell like Morgan's Shop. Cant have you walking around like that, especially over at the palace now can we?”
`Why couldn't he have found me instead of Stark?' he stopped to stare at the driver for a moment before nodding his head and going inside. He would have to do something nice for that human, perhaps even go so far as to find out what his name was....
Kagome opened the door of Sesshomaru's room and stopped. The air in there was charged with something and it wasn't pleasant. Gulping, she continued in, still dripping water on the floor and headed straight to the changing room.
“Kagome....”
She froze. He was standing in the window facing the court yard. He had to have known...
“You left the grounds with out telling me.”
She gulped again. Yes, he knew. She shouldn't have left, she had known she shouldn't have, but she felt so free after taking on those golems this mor...oh. Yeah, those. From the way he was standing and speaking to her, he had to have known about that as well. The tone and stance was all too familiar to her. This Sesshomaru was not a Sesshomaru that she had ever had to face off against. She had seen this Sesshomaru turned loose on others before and the outcome was never enjoyable, but never, ever on her. He was always so friendly, warm and at times almost...loving to her But now, now she shivered. Not because of the chill in the air but because of the chill in his voice. She was scared. For the first time, she was scared of Sesshomaru.
“Sesshomaru, will you please look at me?”
“I can't.” He ground through his teeth, digging his nails into the hard wood of the window frame. “If I look at you now, I my not be able to control my anger with you.”
She bowed her head, tears welling up in the corners of her eyes. She hated this, Sesshomaru being so angry with her. He had never been angry in the slightest toward her and now every second seemed like an eternity, passing as slowly as possible, one bleeding into the next.
“You are not to leave these quarters without myself or Miroku accompanying you again, is that clear?”
Her fear and sadness quickly turned to indignation. “Now wait just a damn minuet! I am a grown woman and think I can decide for myself when and where I go and whom I go there with! I don't need you or any one else telling me what to do.”
“Apparently, that's not the case.” He replied coolly, still not facing her. “You don't know not to go out unescorted and not to leave the compounds.”
“I wasn't unescorted, Inuyasha was with me.”
“Ah, yes. His father is speaking to him right now about the dangers of allowing you outside the compounds and the fact that he is to remain clear of you for the remainder of this ordeal since he obviously wasn't clever enough to figure it out on his own.”
“This wasn't his fault, Sesshomaru. I snuck out and he and every one else caught me doing so.”
“That brings me to another point, Kagome. What do you think you're doing going off like that by yourself? That was a dangerous and stupid thing to have done.”
“Danger, WHAT danger?! Stark can't set foot near me with out some one recognizing him and the golems are dead. What's so dan... “
“Yes, I saw that little stunt on the surveillance cameras. Nice work, I must say.” Finally, he turned to face her. She looked so much like a wet cat he could hardly keep from laughing. Her hair was plastered to her head and she was still dripping on the carpet. Her brown eyes glittered with the fury of ten typhoons. She was feisty and he should have known better than to cage a free spirit like hers. He should have realized that she would tear apart her cage, defying anyone or anything to stop her. Turning back to the window before he really did laugh at her, he pondered. That woman could get the best of him every time and in fact, he would gladly give it if that's what made her happy. She barely heard his next comment. “Please, just don't ever scare me like that again.”
Kagome blinked once, twice, three times. “How...how did I scare you?”
“I couldn't feel you here. Kagome. It was like an empty hole in my soul. I searched for you, but something was blocking me. I don't know what, but something was preventing me from sensing you, your aura.”
Kagome stepped to the window and wrapped her arms around Sesshomaru, hugging him from behind. “I'm so sorry I worried you, Sesshomaru.” She whispered, burying her face into his back. He reached up and placed his hand over one of hers and squeezed. She knew then that Sesshomaru wasn't mad at her and she seriously doubted that Inuyasha was in trouble either. Not that Sesshomaru would lie to her, after all they did leave the palace grounds, she just thought that he was slick enough to talk his way out of it.
They stood like that for quite some time, neither wanting to move, to break the moment they were sharing. But alas, he could be silent no longer. “Kagome?”
“Yes, Sesshomaru?”
Her voice vibrated through his back and straight into his soul causing a warm, pleasant feeling to spread through his body; vaguely reminiscent of the “bugs” of his dream. How many times had he imagined them standing together, just like this or even touching at all? How many times had he afforded to let his mind wander just long enough to imagine her lips pressed on his? How many times.....”You're getting me wet, dear.”
She gasped and pulled back. The entire back of his robes were soaked though and dripping wet. “Oh, Sesshomaru! I'm so sorry!”
“Just go and get changed” Oh, now there was a welcome thought...a naked Kagome just a few feet away. He groaned mentally as he striped down to the waist. How could one person look for ward so much to some one leaving but yet at the same time, dread that day with every fiber of their being?
***
 
Inuyasha stood in the middle of the room, his father glaring at him. “You could have told us you were leaving the grounds, Inuyasha.”
 
“I didn't know we were gonna me leaving the grounds. It just sorta…happened.”
 
“That's no excuse. You're a prince for the gods' sake. You of all people should you don't just run off…Ok perhaps using you as an example was a bad idea. But you know that we have to protect that woman at all costs. Her life is more precious that all of ours right now.” He said emphatically, gesturing to the three of them to prove his point.
 
Inuyasha turned to his father, a questioning look in his eye. “You know, I'm one of the last people that could be accused of not being chivalrous but why is her life so much more important that yours?”
 
Geoff stood and stepped to the window, standing with his arms crossed. Inuyasha hated that pose, it made him feel like he was about to be scolded. “I went back to Alden and did a bit of digging around. I found out a bit of information that leads me to believe that our little Miss Kagome may not be who we all think she is.”
 
Inuyasha looked at him like he had just been informed he was about to be traded to aliens for some shiny pebbles from Mars. How was it that Kagome could fool someone like Sesshomaru and be able to get away with it for so long? Surely he of all people would know when someone wasn't who the claimed to be. Inuyasha needed clarification because obviously, Geoff had been misinformed. Sesshomaru was no fool and was the last one he expected to be misled by a pretty face. “So she's been lying to us, to Sesshomaru all this time?”
 
“Oh, no.” Geoff countered quickly. “Kagome may not be who she says she is, but if that's the case, she has no idea of it. In her mind, she is…Kagome.”
Now Inuyasha was thoroughly confused. How could someone not be who they think they are?
 
“I know it's all rather confusing, but that's all I can say until tonight after the testing. Shawn is coming to verify our suspicions.”
 
“Shawn is coming?!” Wow. This isn't normal, Shawn didn't come to Earth. Ever.
Shawn wasn't a normal demon; in fact, he wasn't a demon at all. Actually, no one was quite sure what he was, just that he had the powers of a holy man and had been sent by the gods, to Earth, for only they knew why.
 
The elders and council only called on Shawn when there was a very bad person in Alden that needed taken care of. Ironically, Kagome did the equivalent of his job here on Earth.
Geoff shook his head. He knew what his son was thinking. “The gods don't desire her death, Inuyasha. In fact, they seemed adamant that she stay alive and out of harms way at all costs. She's more important to them than they let on to Shawn, but by how much, we have no idea. It's apparent that she doesn't either.”
 
“That reminds me,” The king interrupted. “Have you gotten rest for tonight's event? I don't want any screw ups on this one and have them blame it on you again.” he shot Inuyasha a stern look.
 
He blushed and looked at the floor. How did this conversation tie in with the gods, Shawn and Kagome not being who she thinks she is? One time…ONE TIME three years ago he oversleeps due to a night of partying before an important match and he still hasn't lived it down. “I still have five hours till the testing. I think in that time I can manage to squeeze some rest in.”
 
“You'll go and rest now. Ill expect you for the arrival of Shawn.” That was an order, not a request. Inuyasha bowed to his father and left.
Inuyasha walked to his room, deep in thought about the reason Shawn would want to be here. This wasn't supposed to be a formal event, so why involve him. Kagome wasn't a threat…was she? If so, what threat was she and to whom? His father was the most powerful demon in existence, so surely it wasn't him. He had so much power that it had to be put into the stones so that he wouldn't destroy his surroundings in his sleep. That still amazed Inuyasha.
 
His fathers stones weren't all that powerful, just enough to give a little extra boost to who ever had possession of them. People believed that they granted a special power, but in truth, it only enhanced a power they already had, but was hidden and hadn't yet been learned of. Once that power had been tapped into, the stone was no longer needed. The council never felt a need to clarify this to the public and in fact encouraged the roomer. That way, the king could give the stones away as rewards and gifts and not suffer any major problems with it.
 
Inuyasha himself was not powerful enough to need to create stones to carry his extra power…yet. Before going to Earth, Kaede had meditated over Inuyasha and determined that one day, he would be more powerful than his father. This in itself was amazing because Inuyasha was only half demon. His mother was one of the first humans to travel to Alden. She found her way though by accident and was the reason that Dimitri had opened travel between the two worlds.
 
She had died when Inuyasha was still a child, so he had few memories of her. Kouga had become his playmate shortly after that and had helped to develop the young demons skills and reflexes while his father was busy. Kouga was a wolf demon, a lesser prince of demons. Inuyasha's head started to hurt just thinking about the hierarchy of Alden. With all the different levels of kings, queens, and royals, it was hard to keep straight.
 
It had seemed that his father was constantly busy after his mother died. He was sent off to school three years later and when he had come back, the king was back to his old self. Inuyasha was glad. He didn't think he could bear the loss of his mother and his father so close to each other.
Inuyasha sighed as he rounded the corner and bumped straight into Kagome, knocking her on her back and sending her paperwork flying. “Oh no! Now its going to take me forever to get this back together again!” she sighed, not even bothering to look up to see who had run into her.
 
“Im sorry, I can help. I should have been watching where I was going.”
Kagome stood up. “No, no nonono! I can get it. Im sorry, I should have been watching where I was going.” She snatched the papers from his hands and hurried down the hall shuffling papers as she went.
 
“Hey, wait up!”
 
“Im sorry,” she called back “I really don't have time. I have to get these to the office by close or the processing wont be ready.”
 
“Processing for what?”
 
“The LAMP candidates. These were the files on each prospect. I was a few weeks behind and they were nice enough to give me an extension but times running out now and the LAMPS have to be preformed before the corpses are stored too long.” Inuyasha shuddered. “Oh, you're telling me. I killed them all. How creepy is it to see yourself killing some one though their eyes?!” Kagome rounded the corner to a door at the end of a little hall. Pushing open the door, she stepped though to a spacious office overlooking the lake.
 
“Wow, what is this? I've never been here.”
 
“My office. See that door over on that wall?” She asked, pointing to the wall behind her massive desk. Inuyasha noted that the desk was loaded to capacity with paperwork; some of which looked like it had been there for months. “On the other side of that door is Sesshomaru's office.”
 
“Oh. Yeah, then I have been here before. How is it…I got confused on the way here then?” he asked, frowning as he looked outside to get his bearings.
 
“Don't bother to figure it out.” She sat at the desk and began to put the papers back in order. “Sesshomaru had Kaede put a concealing spell on the room so that no one could find it without going through his office or through the back way with me.” She looked up and smiled at his questioning look. “I had a problem getting work done with people like Kouga and Miroku constantly hanging around!” She laughed.
 
He chuckled and became quiet again. Kagome shuffled through her paperwork and stood up. “I think I have it, if you want to wait here, I ll be back in just a second. Its two doors down.” He nodded as she left the office. He looked around the room, pausing when the view out of the window suddenly looked familiar. Sure enough, this window was located three rooms from her room. Looking over, he saw that Sesshomaru's living quarters connected through another door to his office. Interesting. At least now he knew he could find his way back here if the need arose. It was just a matter of making that need arise. He turned and smiled as she came back into the room and sat at her desk and began sorting through the mountain of paperwork that had collected.
 
“So, I hear you'll be going to Alden soon.”
 
“Yeah, I have to leave. Sesshomaru says it's not safe her till Stark is caught. I could probably handle him myself, but he doesn't want to take that chance. I guess I see his point, but I don't like to leave unfinished business. I'm not really sure who's going to handle things while I'm away.”
 
“Who's next in command?”
 
“Well, it's Miroku but he's coming with us. I suppose Sara is next. She's the only one that comes close to matching Miroku blow for blow.” Kagome looked up and bit the end of her pen, pondering. “She has good leadership qualities too. I think I will put her in charge.” She pulled out a form and started filling it out, mumbling out loud. “Name…Sara…status…”
 
InuYasha settled in the plush leather chair on the opposite side of the desk. “What about Hisoka?”
 
Kagome stopped writing, afraid of her next words. “Hisoka will, he'll be coming with Miroku and I.”
 
“And you're not comfortable with that?”
 
“Sesshomaru says if he's to be on my team, we have issues to work though. From what we've seen of him in the past, he could possibly rank Sara in ability so he'd be an asset.”
 
“You avoided my question.” He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knee.
 
“What are you afraid of?”
 
“I'm not afraid of anything.”
 
“That's not what it looks like from where I'm sitting.”
 
She got up and dragged InuYasha to the door by his arm. “Then perhaps you shouldn't sit there anymore. Now, out. I have too much work to do and entertaining you isn't on my list of responsibilities anymore.”
 
He sighed as she shut the door on him. He wasn't getting anywhere and if Hisoka and Miroku was going on that little trip, he was going too. He marked his way back through the tiny hall and back out into the main hall. `That's ok, Kagome. This just means that I can take my time and study how to get back here.' He stepped out into the brighter light and turned around. “No! Aw, damnit!” The place where he had just come from was now a solid wall. He ran his hand over the surface and knocked just to make sure. Solid as the rest of the wall. He sighed in defeat and took off for his quarters. As he rounded the corner, he swore he heard the tiny echo of laughter from behind him.
 
***
The arena that was set up for the testing held more of a carnival atmosphere than the serious one it was supposed to. Festive banners and vividly colored streamers were hung from every rafter. The residents of the palace had dressed in their brightest finery. Musicians were set up in the corner, playing softly over the laughter and the buzz of excited conversation. There was an electricity in the air that was exhilarating and scary at the same time. It was enough to bring a smile to even the most fouled attitude.
 
Kagome stepped into the arena and the excited buzzing grew louder. She scanned the audience and decided that meditation was probably the best thing. The smell of Jasmine and Sandalwood coming from the ladies in the audience was enough to make her pass out.
 
Sitting cross legged in the middle of the floor, she had just closed her eyes when she abruptly found herself on her back, staring into the laughing faces of Miroku and Hisoka. “Very funny guys.” She smiled as she unwound her legs to right herself again. She sighed as she redid the ponytail that was used to pull her back. “It tool me forever to get all this hair up.”
“Sorry, but you just looked entirely too peaceful sitting there like that.” Miroku defended, plopping down next to her with a thud.
 
Hisoka laughed. “She hadn't even sat down yet when you said “Hey, watch this.” I think what Miroku meant to say was that you looked so beautiful, he wanted to come and talk to you.”
 
“Spoil sport.”
Kagome laughed at the two throwing jibs at each other. It was nice to see Miroku had unofficially taken Hisoka under his wing. That would help his training immensely. Kagome was just worried what Miroku would be teaching him, the pervert.
 
Inuyasha stood next to Kouga as they chatted for a bit, watching the ladies show off for the Prince when a strange feeling hit him. He turned to see a young man who looked vaguely familiar arguing with a guard stationed near the ticket booth. As Inuyasha approached, he could hear a bit of the conversation.
 
“I know I had my ticket here somewhere.” The man was saying as he patted his pockets.
 
“I'm sorry sir, but I can't let you in without one.”
 
“Just give me a second, I know its here somewhere…” he mumbled, searching his wallet yet again.
 
“Sir, if you could please step aside so we can let in others….”
 
“What seems to be the problem here?” Inuyasha had a feeling that he needed to be careful but at the same time, he also felt that it was important for this man to be in the room today. He wasn't sure why but he knew that somehow this man would be key to Kagome's safety.
 
“This gentleman seems to have lost his ticket. Nothing to concern yourself with your highness.” The guard replied, bowing.
 
“He can be a guest of mine. After all,” he said, turning back to the stranger with out a ticket, “it wouldn't do for someone to miss the event of the year all because of a silly slip of paper, now would it?”
 
“Event of the year? More like a life time! We've been dying to get Miss Kagome to spar with us but she's always refused. Now were going to get the chance to see what she's made of with out getting our own butts stomped! Eh…no offence your highness. I'm sure you'll do just fine against her.” The guard stammered, eager to remove his foot from the most unpleasant place it seemed to have found itself to date.
 
“That's ok, I know what you meant.” He said, laughing at the guards' obvious relief. He turned to the young stranger. “Shall we go? You'll sit next to Lord Kouga. I'll be out on the floor for a better part of the time. Oh, I don't believe I caught your name…”
 
“It's Kane, your highness.”
 
“Kouga!”
 
“Yo, mutt face.” Kouga crossed his arms and looked toward Inuyasha.
 
Inuyasha sighed. “Kouga, how many times must I tell you not to call me by your mothers pet names in public? This is Kane, he's going to be a special guest of mine.” Stressing the word special, Inuyasha hoped Kouga was smart enough to understand to keep an eye out for anything unusual about the guy.
 
“It will be my pleasure, your highness.” Kouga had gotten the message loud and clear. This guy looked familiar but he wasn't sure where he had seen him before. Every time he thought he remembered, the sliver of it slipped just out of reach. He sure as hell wasn't about to let this guy anywhere near Kagome though. Kouga turned his attention back to his surroundings. He was sure if he let it slip his mind for a while, it would come to him.
 
Inuyasha looked up in time to see Shawn and his father come out of the locker room. Kagome was still seated in the middle of the floor with Miroku and Hisoka talking and occasionally laughing.
 
He knew it was foolish, but Inuyasha didn't care too much for Miroku and Hisoka right at that moment. It wasn't fair that the two of them could put her at ease so effectively. Miroku was a pervert and Hisoka…well Hisoka had killed her best friends and tried to kill her for the love of the gods! He shook his head. Either Kagome was a forgiving individual or she was dense and he didn't think it was the latter of the two so much as the first.
 
Inuyasha excused himself from Kane and Kouga and stepped out into the dojo when Kagome wasn't looking. He was pretty sure that if Kagome saw him come out of thin air, she would know something was up. His father and Shawn followed his example, taking their seats on the podium. Geoff came in through the doors behind them. Inuyasha scanned the room, looking for any signs of Kaede's spell, but he found none. It was amazing how talented the old woman was. He knew there to be at least seventy people on the bleachers watching tonight's event but he couldn't hear or see any of them.
Kagome looked up as the sound of footsteps surrounded her to see Inuyasha standing over her. `Wow, red is really his color.' She thought as she stood up. She eyed the ornate sword at his side. “We're using weapons tonight?”
 
“Yes;” Geoff said from behind her. “it was a last minuet addition. Shawn wanted to see how proficient you are with them.”
 
“Them? We're going to be using more than swords?” Kagome was in trouble. She hadn't had the opportunity to practice anything other than swords. She had some knowledge of the others, but wasn't sure than she could hold her own in a battle with royalty who probably used these things at least once a week. “That's not a good thing.”
 
“Heh, its ok, Kagome.” Inuyasha chuckled. “I'm gonna kick your ass with the swords anyway so we probably wont even get to the rest.” His plan worked; Kagome was on fire and forgot all about the other weapons. He was about to receive the ass kicking of a life time and the funny thing is, he was going to enjoy every second of it. There was a light chuckle from the rest of the group at Kagome's expense. They knew what Inuyasha was up to and kicked in their part to help. If she could fight on anger alone and not worry about this being a test, then she would pass with flying colors.
 
“Ahem.”
 
The group turned to see Sesshomaru standing in front of the podium. “Shall we begin?”
 
Kagome stepped forward and bowed to the three men in front of her. The rest of the group followed.
 
“Who is the one called Kagome?” Shawn knew, but it was a part of the ritual. He thought it to be stupid, but who was he to change tradition?
 
“I am.” She took a step forward.
 
“Who is her guardian?”
 
“I am.” Sesshomaru took a step forward.
 
“As her guardian, Sesshomaru, do you swear you have trained this young woman to the best of your abilities and accept full responsibility for the result of that training?”
 
“No.”
 
There was a gasp from the room and the audience although no one in the dojo save for the king and Shawn could hear.
 
“Please explain yourself, Sesshomaru.” The king demanded, irritated. This was not how it was supposed to go and he would have words with him later if he didn't have a good reason for this.
 
“I have trained this, Kagome,” he said gesturing to her, “to the best of my ability. But in the time she has been on Earth and been head executioner, her skills have far surpassed anything I could have ever have taught her. She has developed several new techniques to improve the skills of others and my team is the best in the world now thanks to her. I cannot take full responsibility for her training because she has invented her own style of combat. I believe in the last decade or so, she has become my teacher.”
Kagome looked at Sesshomaru and smiled when he made eye contact with her. He had humbled himself for her and that was the highest form of praise she could have ever received from him. For the teacher to say he had become the student was unheard of. She looked back to the king and Shawn and saw that the moment had not been lost on them either.
 
“Well, Kagome.” Shawn pondered out loud. “That's quite impressive. Sesshomaru is the second most powerful demon I have ever had the pleasure of encountering and for him to concede that you are now his teacher…” he shook his head. This may not be the one I thought she was. “Have you ever fought her yourself? In a serious test of strength?”
 
“No, sir. I have not.”
 
“Have any of you fought this woman?”
 
“I have, sir.” Hisoka said, stepping forward.
 
“And what was the result of that encounter?”
 
“I lost my life, sir.”
 
“So you were brought back?”
 
“Yes, sir. My soul was healed and I was permitted to return as her apprentice. I was a most formidable foe and they thought I would be of more use here than dead. I am to be head executioner while Miss Kagome is in Alden.”
 
“Does that make you nervous?”
 
“A little, sir. Now that I no longer have a wounded soul, I am twice as strong as before but unfortunately; I'm still no where near as strong as she.”
 
“How was your soul healed?”
 
“I'm…I' mot sure. Actually, no one is quite sure. They have gone through my LAMP repeatedly and can't find an answer to that. The closest thing they could find is that Kagome touched me. When she did, at the moment of contact, I was healed. They couldn't find what did it, but they think it was her.” Another gasp came from the nonexistent audience.
 
“I see. Very good, you have been most informative. Everyone, take your positions.”
 
They formed a large circle around Kagome. “The order of attack will be as follows. Hisoka, Brett, Geoff, Inuyasha, Sesshomaru and then Dimitri. You will attack twice then back off for the next attacker. This will continue until I decide. Anything goes. Do your best and do not hold back. That would be unfair to Kagome and we would fail to find out her full potential.” He returned to his seat next to the king. “Ready, attack.”
 
Kagome crouched into a low stance, the leather in her boots squeaking in protest. It had been so long since she had to wear he r armor that it had stiffened. Hisoka drew the new sword that Sesshomaru had given to him. It was a fine sword, the sword of a third ranking officer. Kagome was impressed that Sesshomaru knew her well enough to anticipate her decision on that matter. She was so grateful to have his friendship.
 
Kagome unsheathed her blade; the sound of it being pulled from its scabbard was almost melodic. Like the sword was singing. Sesshomaru noted that it was the sword he had given her as a birthday present two years ago. He carried the mate to it on his hip. He knew it was silly, but some how it made him feel closer to her. His aura around her wrist wasn't always able to follow her where ever she went so this was the next best thing.
Hisoka stepped to the side and thrust at Kagome, his beautiful sword slicing though the air with a sharp snap.
Kagome spun out of the way and attacked from behind, before he could react. She didn't cut him, but slapped him hard enough across the bottom to leave a welt. Hisoka spun to face her but before he could swing his brand new, beautiful sword a second time, Kagome had cut it in two.
 
Hisoka yelped. “Hey! I just got that yesterday!”
 
Sesshomaru laughed. “Don't worry Hisoka. Ill get you a better quality sword tomorrow morning. That one was just for show anyway.”
 
Hisoka grumbled as he jumped out of the way as Miroku took a fight stance.
 
“Hey, let's dance, baby!”
 
“Aww, and here I thought we were gonna fight.” She teased Miroku.
 
“Is that what you call what you're doing? I'll have to keep that in mind 'cause it looked like you were playin' with his butt to me.” He struck out with his staff, the weapon of choice for perverts everywhere, and knocked her feet from under her. She rounded off in the air and landed on her feet again, smirking.
 
“Is that the best you have little boy? Step aside and let a man play.” She laughed.
 
“Now see, here you go insulting my manhood. Here I am trying to be all serious and stuff and your tossing out slams like you're a wrestler or something.” Miroku used her laughter as a distraction and tried to sweep her feet out again. She jumped his staff and dodged his kick, spinning and sweeping him off his feet as she landed.
 
Kagome stood straddled over Miroku. “You had enough yet?”
 
He kicked up, wrapping his legs around her waist and jerking down. She used the momentum to back flip out of his grasp and kick him in the chin on the way over.
 
“Damn! That hurt!” He stood and stepped to the side as Geoff entered the ring.
 
Geoff wasted no time with witty banter. He attacked with his swords. One gold, one silver; a balance of light and dark. Geoff was stronger than the others, but Kagome dodged his attacks and after a few failed attempts, she managed to land her two blows.
 
“Now what were you saying before, Your Highness?” Kagome turned to face Inuyasha and licked her lips; her eyes glinting dangerously with a silver color that he had never seen before. It sent a chill down his spine.
 
“I was saying that you didn't have to worry about anything past the swords because I was gonna kick your ass anyway.”
 
“That's what I thought.” She lunged suddenly at Inuyasha, sending him sprawling to the ground. “If I'm not mistaken, that's blow number one.”
 
Inuyasha rolled over his shoulder to a crouching position and swiped at Kagome's ankles. As she jumped into the air to avoid the attack, he sprang to his feet and threw his shoulder into her stomach, sending her backwards into Sesshomaru. He swung his sword at her head, but at the last second, she ducked and the tip caught the front of Sesshomaru's hori, slicing it in two.
 
Sesshomaru sighed and stepped back as Kagome swung one foot behind Inuyasha, kicking his legs from behind as her other foot swung up to kick him in the stomach, throwing him to the floor. “And I believe that makes blow number two.” She smirked as she rolled over to doge a blow from the mate to her sword.
 
She turned to face Sesshomaru as he lunged again, bringing her sword above her head to block his blow. The strike was hard and jarred every bone in her body; causing sparks to fly above their heads. The other challengers on the floor retreated to the safety of the platform, giving Kagome and Sesshomaru plenty of room to maneuver.
 
He towered a head and shoulders over Kagome, the full weight of his body bearing down on hers. Kagome held out for as long as she could before her arms began to shake and her breath became ragged. She dropped to one knee, spinning out from under the blade, throwing him forward. His blade struck the floor with enough force to chip through the cement beneath the rubber mats they were standing on. Kagome lunged at Sesshomaru, catching his left sleeve, cutting it off his arm.
 
Sesshomaru scowled at Kagome as his sleeve fluttered uselessly to the floor. With out taking his eyes off of the circling Kagome, he reached down to untie his hori and as it slid down his remaining arm, she lunged, slicing downward on his head. Sesshomaru dropped his sword and dodged the blow. As he passed by her, he flung the hori out and it wrapped around her arms.
 
Silver spread through her eyes as she turned to Sesshomaru and smiled. Before he knew what had happened, she jerked her arm, sending him sprawling and becoming hopelessly entangled in the material. On his way down, she slammed her elbow into his back, sending him into the floor; hard.
 
Shawn looked on; his eyes squinted deep in thought. It's not her. This woman is much too powerful to be the one I thought her to be. Then that means…. “Dimitri, attack.”
 
“But she's only landed one blow…”
 
“Just follow my orders no matter what.” He turned to Inuyasha. “You attack as well.”
 
Inuyasha nodded and ran out with his father who was helping the out of breath Sesshomaru to his feet.
 
Shawn called Kikyo forward. “Clear the arena. I want no spectators or guards left in here. Kouga, attack.”
 
The swirl of motion Kagome could feel around her set her on edge. Kouga appeared out of thin air behind the approaching Inuyasha. The king was helping a quickly recovering Sesshomaru to his feet and all were taking an attack stance around her. Geoff, Miroku and Hisoka had taken refuge on the platform with Shawn. He stood. “Show her no mercy. Attack!”
 
It was a blur of motion on the floor, Kouga striking at her head while Inuyasha struck her feet. Dimitri went for the places that were left venerable from her defending their attacks. Shawn was in awe. Her speed became a blur as she twisted and turned to fend off all attacks. Her eyes became completely silver, glowing with power. Kicking and spinning, dodging and weaving, she managed to avoid every blow and took them down one by one.
 
She caught Inuyasha in the throat with a spinning kick, and then took out Sesshomaru with a leg sweep. Kouga came next, his arm being torn out of socket in a most violent way and finally Dimitri, his arm flying across the room, his blood coating her sword as he attempted to take her head off.
 
Kagome turned to face Shawn and drew him to the floor. He was transfixed by her eyes. Something snapped in him, and his body began to glow a pale blue. Kagome's feet lifted from the floor, as blue sphere shot from his body, enveloping the two in a hard shell. The men had a bad feeling about this.
 
Kouga was the first to the bubble, attacking it for all he was worth. Miroku had come next, attacking with his staff until it splintered in three pieces. Inuyasha and Sesshomaru began their attack, striking with their swords, cursing when they only brought sparks. Exhausted, they collapsed on the floor to await the release of the spell. It was clear that no one uninvited was getting in with out permission.
Kaede and Shippo came forward to help the king with his arm. “Don't worry, your Majesty. This can be reattached and you'll be good as new in a few days.” He nodded and smiled weakly. It wouldn't matter to him if his arm was gone if anything happened to Kagome.
 
“I swear to the gods; it he harms one head on her head…” Sesshomaru ground out as he retrieved his own arm from the edge of the arena.
 
“We'll hold him down for you.” Kouga finished as he kicked at the shield. A tail he normally kept hidden swished angrily when the kick had no result. Inuyasha stood and stalked from the room and Miroku stood to follow him.
 
“Leave him be.” Kouga reached out a hand to stop Miroku. “There's no reasoning with him when he gets like this and it would be a bad thing to attempt to do so.” Kouga pulled his hori aside to show a huge, silvery white scar on his shoulder. “Trust me on this one.”
 
The king nodded. “Kouga will go after him when the time is right.”
 
A silver light flared through the top of the blue shield, and then all was quite again. All thoughts turned to Kagome and Shawn; with silent prayers to the gods she was alright.