InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Understandings ❯ The evil cometh ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 11
 
The evil cometh
 
It floated through the universe, wildly casting about, searching for her. She had escaped for the last time. She had purified its arm in their last meeting, the arm falling in ashes to float through space for an eternity, the searing pain finally abating after several hundred years to a dull ache. If not for that, she would be dead.
 
She had laughed at it as it bent over in pain, screaming in misery. She had called it an abomination to the very nature of the universe, to the existence of living and non living things alike. She had said that it was worthless and the lives it had taken were wasted on something as insignificant as it was.
 
It had become enraged, its essence expanded to envelope her, smothering her in a black quivering mass of tentacles and shifting blob. She had struggled to free herself, clawing and digging at the jelly like substance that had forced its way down her throat, to strangle her from the inside and had found herself loosing. The gel like flesh had been too much for her and with her last breath, she had screamed. A light enveloped her body, coming from deep inside her soul, slicing the thing in two and freeing her. Ravaged and clinging to a thread of life, she had escaped before it had a chance to reform itself and give chase.
 
Now, after such a long time of recovery, it had returned. Searching every part of the galaxy, looking for the woman that had escaped it. There would be no escape for her this time, it would see to that.
 
It continued to cast about, its eyes ever searching for that little slip up that would reveal her to it, to give away her location.
 
And there it was; on Earth. A minute flash of bluish silver light, the same light it had seen the day she had escaped. That very same light that had saved her flashed through the universe and ensured her death.
 
It sped off though space, planning its ambush. It preferred a sneak attack, playing fair wasn't a way to guarantee a kill. She would never know what hit her. How she had managed to hide for all those hundreds of years it had no clue, but would soon find out. Earth had many fleshy humans on it. It would take over the body of one of them and blend into the little world where she had managed to hide herself from it. Now to find a human….
 
 
* * *
 
Shawn shielded his eyes from the bright blue flair of light that came from Kagome. Just as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone. “Who the hell are you?” He demanded, removing his arm to look at the woman who had taken over Kagomes' body.
 
“At this time it matters not. We must get this woman to safety, away from Earth.” Shawn fell to his knees as her voice reverberated off the walls. It sent pleasant waves through his body soothing him as if he were being rocked to sleep by the ocean. He had never heard anything quite so beautiful in his life. “Stand up. We don't have much time and you cannot let yourself be distracted.”
 
“I…I can't…help it.” Shawn began to sway with each word that she spoke, his head lulling back.
 
“This is only a temporary effect. Once I remove this shield, you won't feel this way. You must pay attention, Shawn.”
 
That brought him to reality. He jumped to his feet, taking a defensive stance. “How do you know my name?”
 
“I have lived within Kagome since she was born. My brother and I were attacked by an entity and he was absorbed. He was playing a horrible prank on me, trying to get under my skin, and was attacked. He fought but in the end, he wore out and was absorbed. I have never cared much for Susanowo, but that was surely not the way that I would have chosen to end his existence.”
 
“Your brother is….Susanowo, the god of the storms?! That would make you…”
 
“Amaterasu, Sun goddess. You may call me Ama.” Shawn was stunned to silence. Not only was Kagome hosting another soul, she was hosting THE sun goddesses soul. “I can fill you in on the rest later, but we need to get Kagome away from Earth and devise a way to get my brother, Susa, back.”
 
Shawn, finally regaining his composure, thought to ask a quick question. “Why do we need to move her?”
 
“Do you remember that light that blinded you a bit ago?” Shawn nodded and she continued. “That light was unfortunately a beacon for the thing that has been hunting me for the last few centuries. It ATE my brother and now it's after me. We must get Kagome out of here as quickly as possible. We have less than 24 hours before it reaches Earth and then it looks for a host body. When that happens, it will show up anywhere at anytime and chaos and destruction will ensue. We must prevent that from happening here. Earthlings and their planet are so much more fragile than you or I.”
 
Shawn was confused. He assumed that she, having all of Kagome's memories, would know about him. “I'm not a demon, I'm a…well I don't know what I am but I know it's not demon.”
 
“I know this and we don't have time to discuss it. One day soon, Ill tell you who you are and why you were chosen to come here, everything but for now you must trust me.”
 
He nodded solemnly. This was going to be quite a story. The blue glow surrounded Ama once more as her body coalesced back into Kagome's, dissolving the shield that had been placed around the three. Shawn blinked his eyes and found himself on his back with a very pissed off Geoff pinning him to the ground by his throat. “What the hell did you do to her?!”
 
Shawn gasped for air, clawing at the hand that was blocking off his air supply. Geoff loosed his grip enough for a small breath. “I didn't do that, it wasn't my shield! Kagome is fine, but there are things that we need to discuss in private.” He coughed as the hand tightened again and released in a warning.
 
“Why did you block her from us?” Kouga asked as he scooped Kagome up in his arms. “She's not breathing! What did you do?” Kouga lay her down again and started chest compressions.
 
Geoff turned back to Shawn, his eyes glowing a fierce red. As his hand squeezed tighter he pulled Shawn off the ground, holding him inches off the floor. He growled, his voice sounding inhuman. “If she dies, so do you!” Geoff turned as Koga let out a yelp.
 
Kagomes' body had started to glow a faint blue and her eyes opened revealing opalescent stones. “Kagome is fine, Shawn has not harmed her.” It was that same ethereal voice Shawn had heard moments ago. “I have put her in a suspended animation until you leave this place. You must hurry! Ill explain when we are gone! Hurry…It COMES!” The voice yelled, causing everyone in the room to flinch as it faded away and Kagome slipped quietly back into her "death."
 
“Who the hell was that?” Geoff dropped Shawn on the floor and rushed to Kagome.
 
Shawn grabbed his throat as he took his first choking breath of sweet oxygen in almost a full minute. “That is what we need to talk about.” He gasped, collapsing to the floor
 
Sesshomaru stepped forward, clearing his throat. “Take Kagome back to my room, Geoff and Kouga, it's time to retrieve InuYasha.” He flinched as Kaede finished the final stitch to temporarily reattach his arm until it healed on its own. It would be better than ever, but for a few days, he needed to be careful.
 
Kouga winced and headed out the doors. “Now if I were Inuyasha….where would I be? In the nearest tree.” He sped down the hall, towards the courtyard doors.
 
When Inuyasha was younger, before his mother died, his father had built him a tree house in the palace gardens. After her death, Inuyasha had sought refuge there, especially when he wanted to feel closer to his now distant father. It was the last thing they had done together, as a family. The tree house was a refuge of love and safety for the child. Since that time, trees represented a safe harbor that no one could take away.
 
Kouga slammed out the doors and skid to a halt, shocked at the sight before him. The once pristine garden was now a home to broken statues, benches and mangled trees. It looked as if anything that even thought about getting in the demon princes way was destroyed. In the center, was one tree left untouched. In the branches sat the snow covered figure of Inuyasha.
 
Kouga stepped carefully around the destruction and sat at the base of the tree where the sulking Inuyasha was perched. When he was ready, he would talk.
 
…….
 
“Lay her down, carefully.” Dimitri instructed. The look of worry eating at the kings' face aged him. “Geoff and I will return to Alden immediately to make arrangements for your detachment, Sesshomaru.”
 
“We shall leave in the morning then, if that's enough time.”
 
“More than enough.”
 
“What shall be done about Stark?” Geoff questioned. He wasn't sure, but it seemed that the creature cohabitating Kagomes body had been more concerned about the new development than him. He wanted no stone left unturned when it came to Kagome and her safety. An unknown threat was on its way, but Stark was still out there and just as dangerous.
 
“Well have to worry about that later. For now, well just have to hope that he's out of the loop on this one.” Dimitri answered after a few moments.
 
Kaede looked up from her place beside Kagome. Since being moved, her temperature had risen quickly and the girl had broken in a sweat. An herbal pack had been placed under her neck to keep the head from overheating. “Stark knows the plan. He was there tonight. I'm not sure how, but he was. I could feel him. He knows that we plan on returning the girl to Alden and will follow us. I suggest that you worry with the more immediate threat right now. I have a feeling that Stark might come in handy.”
 
“Why is it you think that?” Geoff questioned gently.
 
“I'm not sure.” She shook her head and they knew the ancient woman would say nothing more on the matter. She had a suspicion, but it would be counter productive to divulge that now.
 
“Kaede, you look tired. Why don't I take a turn and you can go rest a bit.” Sesshomaru smiled at her. “I'm willing to venture that you haven't even eaten a thing all day.”
 
Kaede chuckled. “That venture would be a lucrative one for you to follow, Lord.”
 
He guided her to the door. “Ill call ahead and have some food sent to your room.” She smiled and bowed. “Miroku, will you see this lovely lady back to her room please? Afterward, pack. You'll be accompanying us to Alden.”
 
Miroku nearly skipped down the hall. His parents had been among the first demons to cross to Earth. Being born here, he had never been to Alden, being considered one of the “new breed”. It wasn't that they weren't allowed to go; they just didn't really care to. None really knew what they were missing and had no desire to leave the home that they had found. None really but for Miroku. He wanted to see where his parents were from and his heritage. It would also help out with the women if he could tell them about the fantastic land his parents had migrated from.
 
Sesshomaru shut the door and turned back to the king and Geoff. “Kagome will be staying at her old home.”
 
Geoff was taken aback. “Sesshomaru, I can assure you that Kagome will be much safer at the palace.”
 
“I don't want to take any chances. Sesshomaru is right.” The king interrupted. “He knows Lord Payton's grounds like his palace here. He could protect her in her sleep there if he had to. At the castle it's all foreign to him. Too easy to get lost.”
 
Geoff nodded in agreement. He should have anticipated this, should have known this on his own, but the days events had him badly shaken.
 
“Don't fret over it, Geoff. I had intended her to stay at the palace myself until Sesshomaru spoke up.” The king soothed.
 
Again, Geoff nodded, this time looking thoroughly relieved. “We shall take our leave now, Lord Sesshomaru.” The King nodded in agreement and waved Sesshomaru off with a look of annoyance as he began to bow. “You were almost family, Sesshomaru. A bow from you at this point would be almost insulting.” The door shut with a soft click.
 
Sesshomaru slipped out of his ruined clothing and into his pajamas. Sighing, he walked to the closet, and grabbed the spare blanket and pillow. Throwing them on the couch, he stepped back and glanced at the bed. Kagome was whimpering softly, moving slightly in her sleep. He sat on the edge of the bed and ran his finger down the side of her face. Even in this state of death, she was beautiful. He let his hand rest on her shoulder as he sighed and looked out the window.
 
It was going to be horrible for Kagome, going back to her house. Back to the place where both of her parents had been killed. To a place where death and destruction were the predominant memories she had.
 
Looking back down at Kagome, he was startled to see two pale blue eyes staring back at him instead of the chocolate brown he was accustomed to. “Hello.”
“She asks for you. I cannot keep her in stasis any longer. The girl is too strong for me now.” Ama sat up, looking Sesshomaru over. “I see why she is taken with you. You are taken with her as well, I see.”
 
Sesshomaru scowled. This creature was telling Kagomes personal feelings, feelings that she had told no one. “I do not see that to be any concern of yours. Who are you?”
 
“I have told you already. Do you not hear as well as the others?”
 
Sesshomaru could barely hold his anger. Had this creature not been in habitation of Kagome, it would have been shredded by now.
 
“Mmmm. Such a temper on you. Kagome has excellent taste in men.” She ran a finger down his arm and frowned. “She calls for you again. I cannot control her. She has signs of life.” Ama shook her head. “She was supposed to be in suspended animation yet her heart beats strong.”
 
Sesshomaru pulled his arm away from the woman. “Release her to me.”
 
“It not that simple. She will be confused and knows not of my presence yet. Do not tell her. I shall emerge and present myself as soon as it's safe for her to do so.”
 
“Why is it not safe now?”
 
Ama smiled. “Do you really not know who I am?”
 
“I regret to inform you, only Shawn was present for your revealing of yourself.”
 
“You may call me Ama for now. Talk to Shawn tomorrow, he sleeps now. He shall tell you what he knows and Ill fill in the details the next time we meet. For now know that Kagome will be extremely weak and disoriented” She explained, placing a gentle kiss on his cheek and lay back against the pillow again. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath releasing it as Kagome shot up eyes wide in terror.
 
“Sesshomaru!” She cried, gasping for air as she launched herself into his lap. She hung on to his neck as if he was her only connection to life and started to cry. “I had a horrible nightmare! I was walking through a desert and couldn't find anyone. I searched everywhere, but no one. As I walked, I found these deep red roses lying on the sand, leading me over the next hill. When I bent over to pick up the first one, it turned to sand and drifted away. I picked up the next one and it disappeared too. I felt bad for ruining the roses and tried to stop touching them, but I couldn't. No matter what, I had to touch the next one and the ones after that.” She sniffled and let out a shuddering breath. “It started raining. It was like the desert was crying. As I neared the top of the hill, the most intoxicating smell hit me. I looked down and in the rain; a rose bush was growing in the middle of nowhere. Its perfume was so sweet, like wine. I stumbled down the dune as I cried, trying to resist the temptation to touch it, knowing I couldn't. As I reached out, it disintegrated and blew away. I fell forward to my knees, and hit water. Like an oasis. I sank to the bottom and saw you. You weren't moving, just like a statue.”
 
Kagome started sobbing again. “I…I tried and tried to pull you up, but you were too heavy. You slipped from my hands! I was running out of air and started to swim for the surface and that's when you woke me up.” She buried her face in his neck and cried. “I was so scared that I had lost you.”
 
Sesshomaru's heart broke. She dreamt of saving him and when she couldn't, tore herself out of stasis to reach him. And then he cried. He cried with Kagome, now knowing how much she loved him, knowing how much he meant to her even if she still had no idea.
 
“I don't want to loose you, Sesshomaru.” She looked up and wiped the tears from his face. “Please don't leave me.”
 
“I won't leave, I swear.” He leaned forward and kissed her gently, pouring his entire heart and soul into that one action. The taste of her lips like the forbidden fruit, sweet in the knowledge that they were once to have been together, bitter with the taste that life was not giving them that chance. He reluctantly broke off the kiss, leaning his head against hers, gasping for breath. “Kagome, we ca…”
 
“Shhhh! Don't say it Sesshomaru. Please. Lets just be, for once. I just want to exist with you for a moment.” Kagome lay back, pulling him with her and cuddled up next to him. “Just be with me.” She mumbled, falling asleep again in his arms, secure with the promise he had made.
 
 
…….
 
“Is she ok?”
 
“Yeah. Asleep, but ok.”
 
“What happened?”
 
“Don't know yet.”
 
“They still going to Alden?”
 
“Yep.”
 
“When are they leaving?”
 
“Tomorrow morning, probably.”
 
He sniffed. “You going too?”
 
“Yep.”
 
“How long?”
 
“Don't know that either. Guess it's gonna be for a while though.”
 
He sniffed again.
 
“You coming in soon? My butts getting cold and you've been out here for three hours now.” Kouga finally stood, shaking the layer of snow off that had formed. A fresh shower of snow from above announced the Prince was though with his tantrum.
 
Inuyasha jumped down and cringed at the mess he had left of the garden. With the snow covering it and the tracks now gone, it looked like it had been abandoned for centuries. It looked nothing like the winter wonderland that he and Kagome had walked through the night before.
 
“Your father and Geoff have already left. We meet them in Alden in the morning.”
 
Inuyasha nodded and started to walk in. “She really kicked all of our asses didn't she?”
 
“Heh, maybe yours. I could have held my own.”
 
“You're so full of yourself Kouga. Kagome will totally kick the crap out of you!”
 
“I could take her with one arm tied behind my back any day of the week.”
 
“I'll be sure to tell her you said that.”
 
Kouga jumped. “Lets not get too hasty now. You know, she needs to rest up first. This took a lot out of her and I want it to be a fair fight when I beat her. No need to say anything right now.”
 
Inuyasha laughed, unaware of the eyes following them as they made their way back in. “Looks like were going home.” Stark chuckled as he slipped back into the shadows and slipped over the wall to the waiting car.
 
“Home?”
 
“Yes, ring ahead, tell them to pack my things.”
 
“Are we leaving?”
 
Stark looked at his driver. “I won't be coming back. Do you still desire to go?”
 
His driver pondered for a few moments. “I don't have family, nothing holding me here. I may not agree with the people you choose to associate with but you've been the kindest employer I've had so far. Yeah, Ill go.”
 
“Well leave for Morgan's in the morning then.”
 
His driver shuddered.
 
“I feel the same way. She's beautiful though isn't she?”
 
The driver chuckled as he turned the corner. “Some things are most beautiful from afar.”
 
“I will agree with that.” Stark closed his eyes, letting the gentle sway of the road lull him to sleep.