InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Endeavors ❯ The Deal: Day 4 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Unexpected Endeavor
scottishfae
A/N: I noticed some of my chapters are smaller than others; I'll post small chapters with larger chapters (to be nice).
Arc 1: The Deal
Chapter 5: Day 4
The sun was barely over the horizon, though it wouldn't matter if it was high overhead. The dense forest canopy blocked all but the slightest light. The forest had a green haze.
Sesshomaru walked through it, his constant shadows behind him. Rin was running around, un-disturbed by the forest that scared many youkai and men. Well, not so much the forest, but the person who resided within in.
Sesshomaru-dono, is it really necessary for me to be here? You know what that witch--”
The Taiyoukai looked back. Jaken knew that look. It was the promise of pain--lots of it--if he didn't shut up quickly. The small retainer swallowed and turned his gaze to the round. He wouldn't complain any more.
“Where are we going Sesshomaru-dono?” Rin asked.
She skipped up to her guardian.
“To visit Cho-san,” he answered.
“Who is Cho-san?”
“She's a horrible witch,” Jaken provided. “And if you're not careful around her, she'll eat you whole!”
Rin gasped, looking up to Sesshomaru. The Taiyoukai simply rolled his eyes. It was fairly common knowledge that there was no love lost between Jaken and Cho. She lived to torment everyone, and Jaken had no ability to take things in stride. The toad youkai was a simpleton; though loyal and trustworthy. Cho, on the other hand, was obnoxious because she was powerful, and knew it. Though, no matter how powerful she may be, she didn't seem to crave for more, which made her safe from Naraku's influence and, thus, trustworthy.
“How do you know Cho-san, Jaken-kun?” Rin asked.
She stopped and waited for the green youkai to catch up. Since it seemed her guardian wasn't going to provide more information, she would have to get what she could out of the smallest of the group.
“Cho-san is not only a witch, but a midwife who was has served the House of Inu for centuries. Not only did she assist with Sesshomaru-dono's birth, but also with his father's and grandfather's.”
Rins eyes were large and round. “She must be very old.”
“Indeed. A hag of a witch.”
“A hag?” a shrill voice screeched from the darkness.
Ah-Un, who had been meandering behind the group, jumped at the voice. His two heads swung around wildly as he galloped towards the rest of his group.
“I may be old, Jaken, but at least I'm not ugly,” the horrible voice cackled.
Rin put her hands over her ears and squatted down. She whimpered out her guardian's name.
“Enough!” the Taiyoukai barked.
The voice stopped and the entire forest seemed to sigh in relief. A much shorter inuyoukai female came out of the shadows and walked to the cowering girl. She wrapped her arms around the little frame and apologized. Her voice, clear and young, was nothing like the voice that had just crowed out from the shadows. Eventually, Rin allowed herself to look at this new youkai.
“I'm sorry, I was just trying to scare, Jaken,” she apologized again.
Rin's brows knit. She looked over at the green retainer. Jaken was looking off into the woods; trying to ignore this other youkai.
“Let's go Cho-san. I have business with you.”
The witch looked at the Taiyoukai and nodded. She winked at Rin then stuck her tongue out at Jaken. The retainer sputtered; Rin giggled. Cho turned around and skipped forward to walk alongside Sesshomaru. “Rumors have reached my ears,” she sung. “Ones that you desire an heir, and have chosen to follow in your father's footsteps to sire one.”
“Higurashi is nothing like Izyaoi-san,” he snapped.
“Oh? I had heard differently. Fiery spirit, kind-hearted, can put up--<i>love</i>, even--Inuyasha-kun. Sounds almost like this miko could be Izyaoi's reincarnation.”
Sesshomaru stopped and stared down at the shorter inuyoukai. “Higurashi is not weak.”
Cho nodded. <i>Neither was Izayaoi. Any woman who could make the great InuTaisho fall head-over-heels, bare his son, and deal with the viciousness of the youkai court is anything but weak.</i>
The youkai witch always kept up with the best gossip, and having a lover who was often at the middle of the juiciest bits kept her in the loop more than most. She had been watching Inuyasha and his group for a long time, and the plight of the strange, young miko had always intrigued her. And, she admitted, she was even more curious now. Sesshomaru seemed already attached to the girl, and for him to admit a human to be powerful--well, that was a miracle in and of itself.
“So, I assume you have come so that I'll make an elixir.”
Sesshomaru nodded. “I remember you prepared something for Inuyasha's conception.”
Cho nodded. In the gloom, her small house was just visible. “Of course, the elixir I made for Izyaoi was more to make her stronger in order to carry the pup in general. Your miko is strong enough, I believe, but I'll need to make something to suppress her spiritual powers so that she won't purify the pup during her term.”
“But it can be done?”
Cho smiled. “Of course.”
“Can you give me a time table?”
The witch looked up, counting in her head. “If I start today, the potion will be ready in about a day. Once consumed, it'll take around five days to set in before conception can be safely tried.”
Sesshomaru nodded. “Acceptable. Please start today. Name your payment.”
They had reached Cho's house and she beckoned them in. Sesshomaru declined. “The smell of my brother permeates this area. I will not linger.”
“You're too hard on him,” Cho defended.
“Not hard enough,” he replied. “Or else he would not be playing around as much as he does.”
“Not everyone can be as serious as you are.”
“Which has left him weak.”
Cho shook her head. “You underestimate him, Sesshomaru. There is much more to him; a lot of darkness in his heart.”
“I will not be lectured about my worthless brother,” he snapped. “Name your payment.”
“The usual,” she replied tersely.
“Acceptable.”
He turned, giving orders to Jaken to have delivered regular supplies the witch needed. Jaken nodded. “Two days,” Sesshomaru confirmed. “Meet her in the village outside of Inuyasha's forest. Do what needs to be done. I will be there no later than the night of the new moon.”
Cho smiled. “Still secretly watching over Inuyasha-kun, I see. How cute.”
The Taiyoukai shot a cold glare at the witch. It didn't faze her. She waved. “Go. I have an elixir to create.”
Cho turned and entered her home. Sesshomaru moved to return out of the forest. He had one more task for the day.
*
Sesshomaru destroyed the last of the old protective seals that encircled the small area of the `safe house.' He made a mental note to have new ones made that would allow him, and Inuyasha's comrades through. He seriously doubted that the miko would be without them for any long period of time. Though, he had no intention of allowing the males permanent residents while she was with child. It was too dangerous.
Continuing through the wooded area, the Taiyoukai headed for the sound of water. He had heard of the small, protected estate when Izyaoi was pregnant, but never had been allowed to visit. The only male, at the time, that were allowed was InuTashio himself. Though, the seals were also meant to keep away those that would hurt the mother or pup--specifically Sesshomaru's own mother.
Eventually, however, Izyaoi had been brought to the actual palace when it was time for Inuyasha's birth. Sesshomaru had never understood his father's decision in such matters, but he was sure not to repeat that mistake. The emotional abuse Izyaoi and Inuyasha had suffered due to the youkai court, especially his own mother's actions, had cut deeply into the fragile human. And even more so into the hanyou.
The sound of water drew nearer in his ears and finally Sesshomaru ran into the last of the barriers. It pulsed a dull blue only once. The Taiyoukai used his acidic whip to slice the holy paper and destroy the barrier completely. He could already see the dilapidated structures.
Sesshomaru approached the middle of the clearing with a keen eye; trying to take in all the details and assess the work that would need to be done before anyone could inhabit the area once more. The structure itself didn't look like it would need to be replaced completely. All the ornamentations were faded and worn. Rice paper had long disintegrated and the bamboo blinds were rotted.
The servants' quarters still looked in good condition, but needed cleaning. Between the two main structures was an area that the forest was trying to reclaim. More than likely it had been a simple garden. It wouldn't take much to clear it out and replant it. A new building would need to be constructed to house the others in the miko's group. The garden could easily be restructured to stretch the distance between all three buildings.
Not too much farther down from the buildings was the river. There were no piers, only the remains of a small bridge. Sesshomaru walked down to assess the old structure. It looked like it had been wiped out by water years earlier. Meaning the river probably swelled its banks when the rainy season began. Another bridge would need to be built; and a bathing house. While it had surprised the Taiyoukai, he was also pleased to know that the humans within Inuyasha's band were keen on their personal grooming. He would see that there was a safe place for them to do so.
Turning from the river, Sesshomaru walked into the house itself. The boards creaked as he walked, an indication of their age. The main house had several rooms within it. The genkan opened up to a small hallway; the remains of bamboo screens remained on the edge of room to the left, while the other wall was made of a solid wood. The room on the left was a general sitting room; the far wall held another screen to a smaller sitting room, meant for the women and their maids. Each sitting room had shoji and bamboo screens that opened up to the gardens.
Moving down the hallway a bit further, Sesshomaru took a right. Here there was another sitting room attached to the only bedroom. This was Izayaoi's room; it would be Kagome's too. The decorations in this room, though worn, still showed the great care that had been put into making the room beautiful. It held a distinctive feminine feel to it, though images of InuTashio's youkai form were carved and painted throughout the room.
As Sesshomaru looked out, he noticed the soft curves and depictions matched the scenery. It would be autumn soon and the greenery would soon fall, but come spring the ume and sakura trees that surrounded the clearing would envelope the area in pink. It certainly earned its name: The <i>Momoiro</i> Estate.
Walking out of the bedroom and onto the outside, wooden walkway, Sesshomaru looked once more around the area. A couple of more private quarters would need to be added; one for the Taijiya and the other for Rin.
There was a lot of work to do, and many people to contact in order to get that work done. Sesshomaru walked down the pathway. He would pick up Rin, Jaken, and Ah-Un then transport all four of them. His merchants were reliable, but often on the move. He would need to track them down quickly in order to get the renovations started. Luckily, the artisan he had in mind to restore the magnificence of the old building was easily contactable.
The Taiyoukai stopped right before stepping off the wooden walkway. One of the larger carvings of his father was found etched into the faded wood. He studied it.
Sesshomaru was a confident man; he was strong and intelligent. He ruled upon and protected his lands well, and the West continued to thrive as it had in the past.
“You were a great youkai,” he said to the image of his father. “Yet you fell in love; with a human, no less. How did you do it?”
Sesshomaru waited, though for what he wasn't sure. Even when alive, he and his father never had philosophical or emotional conversations. InuTashio taught his son how to hunt, fight, rule, and various other youkai and courtly survival techniques. He taught him how to care and love the Western lands, but never for another person, youkai or human. Sesshomaru couldn't even particularly say he loved his own mother. She was the person who bore him, but the emotional connection beyond that was merely political. She was, after all, the first wife of his father--and that in and of itself made her worthy of respect.
The Taiyoukai shook his head. He turned from his father's image and headed towards the woods. Trying to figure out how to complete this secondary part of the deal was becoming complicated. Sesshomaru couldn't recall having loved any person.
He stopped and his heart clenched painfully.
An image of a young woman in her early twenties flashed through his mind. Her painfully human face was etched in a smile, though pain was evident in her eyes. Long hair draped down over her shoulders as she bent down with arms open. A small, white-haired hanyou stood between the arms, his own face bright and cheerful.
<i>Izyaoi.</i>
A small girl laughing as she skipped through a meadow. Orange and white cotton kimono spotted against the green grasses. She waved; her side-ponytail bouncing as she did so.
<i>Rin.</i>
Unexpected Endeavors
Arc 1: The Deal
Chapter 5: Day 4